PDA

View Full Version : started lifting his leg?

lute
09-04-2008, 05:24 PM
When did your male dogs start lifting his leg to pee? Talon is almost 9 months old and not showing any signs of lifting. I show one male Aussie that is 2yrs old and never lifts his leg. It would be great if Talon never did it! I would just like to know when about I should start looking for Talon to do it.

Casper
09-04-2008, 05:33 PM
I know Frisk started lifting his leg when he was under a year old, closer to 6 months old.

Ethan is over 3 and a half years old and has never lifted his leg.

Skylar began lifting his leg when he was two years old, just recently. Its like one day the light bulb finally came on and he realized that Frisk is doing it, so why not him? :)

Ginger's Mom
09-04-2008, 06:34 PM
It's funny, I heard somewhere that dogs start lifting their leg when they start peeing on themselves. If they don't pee on themselves they don't necessarily lift their leg (except to mark). However, Taz lifts his leg and still pees on himself. :rolleyes::confused:

chocolatepuppy
09-04-2008, 07:23 PM
Jake is 10 1/2 months old and has never lifted his leg and I hope he never does.;) I had a nearly 100 pound Shepherd/Collie who never did, he just leaned and let it fly.:D

Jessika
09-04-2008, 08:02 PM
Charlie never really has. He was neutered around five or six months old and he never lifted his leg. He will on occasion lift it a little if he is peeing right next to or on top of a bush, but otherwise he squats like a girl :)

Spiritwind
09-04-2008, 08:13 PM
I think it just depends on the dog.... I've had 4-5 month old males lift their legs... and I've had some that didn't start lifting their leg until they were 9-10-11 months old... just depends.

4 Dog Mother
09-04-2008, 08:17 PM
I was told - and I don't remember by who - that if a dog is neutered before 6 months that he won't lift his leg when he pees. All my males have been neutered before 6 months and while sometimes Taggert and Jack lift their legs they don't do it on a regular basis.

lute
09-04-2008, 08:47 PM
Charlie never really has. He was neutered around five or six months old and he never lifted his leg. He will on occasion lift it a little if he is peeing right next to or on top of a bush, but otherwise he squats like a girl :)

Gracie does this too. Although she is a female. She's just a very dominant female so she sort of lifts her leg sometimes to mark a tree or a bush.

Jessika
09-04-2008, 08:53 PM
Gracie does this too. Although she is a female. She's just a very dominant female so she sort of lifts her leg sometimes to mark a tree or a bush.

My in-laws' intact chihuahua female will lift her leg when she pees, but she doesn't pee on anything, she'll just walk out to the middle of the yard and goes as far down to the ground as possible while leaning to one side and hikes a leg up.

kt_luvs_kitties
09-04-2008, 09:01 PM
Joey started about 7-8 months old:eek:

K9karen
09-04-2008, 09:24 PM
RB Cody only partially lifted his leg ever..maybe he started around 2 y.o. Sometimes he just didn't. As long as he peed outside, I didn't care, although, admittingly, I did poke fun at him :o

Mz Logan, however, is known to lift HER leg at the dog park! She LOVES to pee up against a tree after a male dog did his duty, much to everyone's entertainment!!

Sevaede
09-04-2008, 10:25 PM
My in-laws' intact chihuahua female will lift her leg when she pees, but she doesn't pee on anything, she'll just walk out to the middle of the yard and goes as far down to the ground as possible while leaning to one side and hikes a leg up.

Spanky does this but only when going number two. :p It's really strange!

luvofallhorses
09-04-2008, 10:27 PM
Buster never does just because he doesn't have good hips. Rudy doesn't lift his leg of course he's only 6 and a half months old. ;) Rocky always lifts his leg, he always has and he's almost 12 years! :)

mruffruff
09-08-2008, 09:49 AM
Scruffy was neutered at 6 months and started lifting his leg at about a year. Now he only lifts it occasionally. Since he only has one back leg, it looks kinda funny to see him lift his whole rear end in the air.

elizabethann
09-08-2008, 08:07 PM
I think Fenway started lifting his leg about 8-12 months.

AllAmericanPUP
09-08-2008, 08:13 PM
Eli has never lifted his leg and he was neuetered at about 8 months
Ozzy i think would sometimes lift his leg before he was injured but only every once in awhile to pee on a post..not very often

animal_rescue
09-08-2008, 11:09 PM
When I worked at the HS I remember quite a few male dogs(intact and some neutered) never lifted their legs and I also remember quite a few intact females that did. I guess it just depends on the dog.

LOL So I'm reading through this thread, every reply and everything, when it suddenly hits me that I'm reading a thread about whether a dog lifts his leg when he pees or not. hehe gotta love Pet Talk!:D

molucass
09-09-2008, 11:50 PM

My moms dog Annie hikes her leg when she pees. She is spayed, but she has done it for as long as I can remember.

Deebo started lifting his leg when he was probably around a year old or so.. We didn't get him neutered until he was 2 - 2 1/2.. I wish we would have had him neutered sooner so he wouldn't have learned to hike his leg up.. But he is so tiny, and has had some health problems in the past, so we were worried he wouldn't make it off the table.. We waited until we found a great vet that we really trusted and had it done by laser... We figured that would be safer for him.

cali
09-10-2008, 11:36 AM
Blair started around 10 months, I dunno about Ripley and Rusty as they are both rescues, and I havent had them since puppies. my dads boy Guinness though is a year old and still doesnt lift his leg.