PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Alaska

Aspen and Misty
09-04-2008, 11:06 AM
Yea, you read it right guys! I'm heading back to Haines Alaska and I couldn’t be happier. Some of you might remember when I lived in Haines Alaska for 4 months last summer while I worked with the American Bald Eagle Foundation. I caught 4 eagles, did wild life research and completely fell in love with Haines. Well when I saw the Animal Control Officer Position open for the Haines Animal Rescue Kennel (HARK) I jumped at the chance to apply. Its taken weeks but they contacted me yesterday to let me know I have the job!!! I'm so happy. So Nova, Konnor, Sitka (my 3 dogs) and I will be driving to Haines Alaska, leaving on October 3rd and arriving October 8th.

Wish me luck!!

Ashley :D :D

caseysmom
09-04-2008, 11:19 AM
How exciting Alaska has always intrigued me, it seems so beautiful.

Congratulations!

Cinder & Smoke
09-04-2008, 11:47 AM
Animal Control Officer Position for the Haines Animal Rescue Kennel (HARK)

So Nova, Konnor, Sitka (my 3 dogs) and I will be driving to Haines,Alaska.
Wish me luck!!

:cool:

E-Yikes :eek:
MappyQuest sez that's 3,739 MILES and will take 62.5 Driving Hours!

Better pack a Lunch!

And PLAN to stop in at Glacier's Husky Pharm ---
looks like her Slice of Heaven at Whitehorse, Yukon Territories, Canada,
is right on your route to Alaska.

Have PHUNN in Alaska ... and remember to take a jacket.
:D

Karen
09-04-2008, 11:49 AM
Congratulations! We are so excited for you!

StarandBratsmom
09-04-2008, 12:51 PM
That is so cool. My aunt moved to Alaska, she said it helped with her and her children's asthma. You will have to send us pictures. I bet it is sooo pretty.

dukedogsmom
09-04-2008, 01:01 PM
That is so awesome! I'll bet the dogs will love it there, too. Amazing news!

kuhio98
09-04-2008, 01:16 PM
Great news! I remember how much you loved it. If you need anything -- or if you're heading closer to Anchorage, please be sure to let me know. I'd love to get together.

RockyRoad
09-04-2008, 02:30 PM
Wow, that is so exciting! I love Alaska and would give anything to live there, it is so beautiful and definitely my kind of temperatures. :D Have a great time!

Suki Wingy
09-04-2008, 02:35 PM
How exciting! I've always wanted to go there myself. Be sure to post pictures!

Alysser
09-04-2008, 04:24 PM
Wow, Congratulations! That is AWESOME!! :D I remember reading how much you loved Haines and it's great you're living your dream of moving there! :D

Can't wait to see pics, but that car ride doesn't exactly sound fun. ;):p

chocolatepuppy
09-04-2008, 05:15 PM
Best of luck! Will be looking forward to many stories and pictures from Alaska!:)

Zippy
09-04-2008, 05:43 PM
Congrats!!
That's wonderful news.:)

jenluckenbach
09-04-2008, 06:25 PM
BBBRRRRRR :p

But seriously, this is exciting news! Best of luck! :D :D

Ginger's Mom
09-04-2008, 07:07 PM
When you mentioned applying for a job in Alaska I was wondering if the dogs would be able to go along this time. Yikes! That is a very long drive. Be careful, have fun, and best of luck. :)

Bengalz
09-04-2008, 09:22 PM
Congratulations!! What an adventure you have ahead of you and such a beautiful place to be:) And best of all your doggies are going with you. I recall the wonderful photos you shared with us last year and the amazing experiences you had while there. I also remember how much you missed your babies. So happy for you that it's all coming together just right. Enjoy and keep us posted :)

K9karen
09-04-2008, 10:07 PM
Alaska is awesome! I'm thrilled they chose YOU for the job and that your babies are going with you! Can't wait for a follow up and lots of pictures! Drive safe!

gini
09-04-2008, 10:59 PM
I am so happy for you. It sounds like a job for you made in Heaven.
Bless you for your devotion and I wish you great success and happiness in the future.

Drive carefully - and keep us in touch with you too.

AllAmericanPUP
09-04-2008, 11:41 PM
congrats!
I imagine alaska is an amazing place to live

pitc9
09-05-2008, 07:57 AM
That's WONDERFUL!!
Congrats!!

anna_66
09-05-2008, 08:20 AM
I'm so happy for you! Sounds like a dream job!

Logan
09-05-2008, 08:52 AM
How exciting! Even the cross country trip will be exciting!!! I should say "cross countries", I guess. :o
Congratulations!

Barbara
09-05-2008, 08:56 AM
That sounds like such a great job and in such a wonderful place!
Congratulations :)

Hellow
09-05-2008, 08:57 AM
Alaska is like a "Winter Wonderland" all year :). Good luck, and stay safe!

Aspen and Misty
09-06-2008, 09:43 PM
Thanks everyone! The dogs and I are getting excited...ok, so maybe the dogs are still pretty clueless but I can't wait! I knew I couldn't do another couple months without my kids so I decided to pack them up and bring them with me. Ahh! I can't believe that in less then a month I will be back in Alaska! I have so much to do :D

Ashley

cyber-sibes
09-06-2008, 10:44 PM
Congratulations! I had a feeling you'd be heading back there! That's one place I've always wanted to go, too. Best wishes!

blue
09-27-2008, 08:06 PM
Ill pre welcome you to the state now then.

Ild advise you get a lamp that replicates daylight for the winter, it'll help with the winter darkness.

Cinder & Smoke
09-27-2008, 08:50 PM
Are ya counting the days till departure, yet?

And have you looked at your route - are you going to be passing through
Whitehorse, Yukon Territories, Canada?

If you get even close to Whithorse, you really should stop and say
"Howdie" to Miz Glacier and the Huskies!

Where will you and the Pups be living in Alaska?
Your own house, a rental , a Dorm, a tent, back room at the Pound? :p

Hope it's a *PHUNN* Trip, ALL the way!

Glacier
09-27-2008, 09:27 PM
Are ya counting the days till departure, yet?

And have you looked at your route - are you going to be passing through
Whitehorse, Yukon Territories, Canada?

There is no way to get anywhere in Alaska from the south by road without going through Whitehorse. The Alaska Highway, which actually starts in British Columbia, is the only route! The turn-off to the Haines Road is about 40km past my house.

blue
09-27-2008, 09:33 PM
There is no way to get anywhere in Alaska from the south by road without going through Whitehorse. The Alaska Highway, which actually starts in British Columbia, is the only route! The turn-off to the Haines Road is about 40km past my house.

Did something change? Years ago the road to Whitehorse washed out and everybody was going through Dawson City, there where people waiting for the ferry for 20 or more hours. My parents took shifts in line, I think we waited for 12 hours to cross the river.

Glacier
09-27-2008, 10:37 PM
Did something change? Years ago the road to Whitehorse washed out and everybody was going through Dawson City, there where people waiting for the ferry for 20 or more hours. My parents took shifts in line, I think we waited for 12 hours to cross the river.

You can't get to Dawson without coming through Whitehorse, unless you are starting from farther North. The ferry crossing connects to the Top of the World Highway, which goes into Chicken, AK ect. It's only open in the summer/fall.

No need to go to Dawson to get to Haines, AK. Straight through Whitehorse to Haines Junction then over to Haines. Takes about four hours.

Cinder & Smoke
09-27-2008, 10:50 PM
There is no way to get anywhere in Alaska from the south by road
without going through Whitehorse.

The Alaska Highway, which actually starts in British Columbia,
is the only route!
The turn-off to the Haines Road is about 40km past my house.

:)
So, is that an *Invite* to Ashley to *drop in* onna way past? ;)

blue
09-27-2008, 11:17 PM
You can't get to Dawson without coming through Whitehorse, unless you are starting from farther North. The ferry crossing connects to the Top of the World Highway, which goes into Chicken, AK ect. It's only open in the summer/fall.

No need to go to Dawson to get to Haines, AK. Straight through Whitehorse to Haines Junction then over to Haines. Takes about four hours.

Gotcha, we were in Dawson from Alaska, heading home. there was still a ton of people bypassing Whitehorse going through Dawson when we where there.

*LabLoverKEB*
09-27-2008, 11:36 PM
Wow, how exciting! I've wanted to go to either Alaska, or Canada for Christmas (or sometime in winter) for quite some time now! Drive safe!

ramanth
09-28-2008, 05:06 PM
Congrats and good luck! :)

Cinder & Smoke
10-13-2008, 04:05 PM
From another Thread on 10/13/2008 ~

HEY Ashley ~~

Not sure which threads you've been reading ... so here goes again >>>

Are you planning to *stop* in Whitehorse, Yukon Territories, Canada,
for a *howdie* with Glacier at the Husky Ranch?

Or ar you "voyaging" up the coast on a Ferry/Cruise Ship rather than the highway?

I'm on the ferry right now Phred! lol.
This ferry trip has been 4 days long http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/eek.gif.
My poor pups are downstairs on the car deck
but they seem to be doing ok with all of this.

I'm still hoping to one day make a trip up to see Glacier or her make a trip down.
From what I understand she comes to Haines sometimes for vacation http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/biggrin.gif
/s/ Ashley

wow!

So what do the Mutts think of their 4-day Boat Ride?
Are they in kennels on the boat, or confined to the car?

And where, pray tell, do they go *poddy* when the need arises?

Are they allowed to *take a hike* on deck?

Tell us about your adventure!!

;)<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
<!-- / message -->