PDA

View Full Version : Whats you favorite breed and why?

SheltieLover234
09-13-2000, 05:11 PM
http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif Hi I`m think of getting a dog but I don`tm know which one to get so if you could tell me which is your favorite and why?Thanks http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/confused.gif

Rottie
09-13-2000, 09:46 PM
I own a 3 year old male Rottweiler. They are my favorite breed because they are so noble, obedient, intelligent, and oh so beautiful.

http://www.geocities.com/carl_rottweiler/images/CGCaward.jpg

karen israel
09-14-2000, 08:37 AM
God, Carl is so proud and cute in that photo "I won an award! look at me!! LOL!! ANYWAY, altho ALL dogs are fabulous and have unique personalities, if I were you, I'd do some serious reading to determine your compatability with the different traits. Save a life and go to a shelter! Some poor sweet lonely darling is waiting for you!

SheltieLover234
09-19-2000, 03:55 PM
Your Rottie is so adorable!

SheltieLover234
09-19-2000, 03:55 PM
Your Rottie is so adorable!

RottieLover
09-19-2000, 09:45 PM
He is so cute..... But my dogs cuter then your's!! LOL well ectually they look lik e brothers!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Max has the same puppy like face insted of a bucth one like most rottie's do
http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

Originally posted by Rottie:
I own a 3 year old male Rottweiler. They are my favorite breed because they are so noble, obedient, intelligent, and oh so beautiful.

http://www.geocities.com/carl_rottweiler/images/CGCaward.jpg

Sdsamaras
10-10-2000, 11:12 AM
Hi, im Shaun Samaras my fravouite breed of dog has got to be the basset hound or the blood hound. I like basset hounds the best because they are my perfect dog that fits in to my life. I think that is the most important aspect that you need to consider when buying a dog. Many people think basset hounds are ugly but i think they are beautiful.

[This message has been edited by Sdsamaras (edited October 12, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Sdsamaras (edited October 12, 2000).]

carrie
10-12-2000, 06:39 PM
Hi,
All round top dog for me has to be the greyhound. They are beautiful creatures, loving, loyal, gentle, biddable, are up for anything and all they ask is a warm comfortable bed, half decent food and loads of love. They will hike all day with you or will be happy with a quick free run and then are placid and lazy at home until you are ready for the next adventure. They mix with other animals and kids easily. The only one I've ever known to show any aggression was a low growl from a dog that had been bitten by a rat and had a pretty fierce infection raging through him! One out of over 200 I have handled - fabulous, rewarding, relaxing and exciting dogs - what more can you ask for? The other big plus is they are dog shaped and can do what they are supposed to without any faults created by mans ridiculous whims of fashion.

barkmeow
10-12-2000, 06:52 PM
my favioret dog is a basset hound cause they are so loyal and i love there ears my husbands favoriet dog i a rottie

karen israel
10-13-2000, 06:38 AM
CARRIE: I don't know if you get "Dog Fancy" magazine in the UK but the Greyhound is the
Dog Breed profile for this month. I can send you a copy if you want..you can E-mail me with your address and I'll mail it to you. I think you will enjoy it and sending it to you would not be a problem! Are you a dog trainer? If so, I'm hiring you long distance next time!!! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif..Karen

dogncatluvr
10-13-2000, 05:10 PM
Karen,

I bought that magazine as well, and I really liked the piece about the greyhounds. (This is coming from a person who really, really wants to adopt an ex-racer but has to wait for a year or two before actually doing so.) I really liked the blue puppy with the blue eyes, so striking!

Rottie
10-13-2000, 05:26 PM
Greyhounds aren't exactly my favorite breed, (please don't take offense anyone, everyone has their favorites and I'm just trying to get the point accross) but I thought that the Dog Fancy article was really good. I've subscribed for 2 or 3 years now and the Greyhound article was one of the best yet!

carrie
10-14-2000, 05:20 AM
Thanks Karen email on the way!

G_shepardlover
10-14-2000, 07:04 PM
I have a 4 week old Great Dane and he weighs 45lbs so my fav dog would have to be a great dane because they are so huge and I love there feet!!!!

ownerof3dogs
10-18-2000, 06:27 PM
My favorit breed is the Doberman Pincher because they are so sleek,loyal, and protective. and they are just great dogs

SheltieLover234
10-21-2000, 01:52 PM
I Like shelties because collies are too big and there the right size

RachelJ
10-21-2000, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by carrie:
Hi,
All round top dog for me has to be the greyhound.

I am very interested in whether you can trust a greyhound off leash. The greyhound rescue organizations in my area say you need to have a fenced yard or always have the dog on a leash because they will go after a small animal. My dog (not a greyhound) knows commands like the back of her paw, but when she sees a bunnie or squirrel, my "come" or "stop" or "down" is meaningless to her. Also the couple of times she has gotten out of the house accidently, she has taken off to explore the forbidden neighborhood without even a hesitation in response to my calling her. There is something else that has priority and that's it.

blue_heeler
10-23-2000, 06:37 PM
Hi, I love the big dogs. Although my dog (an AUssie) won't get as big as I want. When we move to a bigger place I am thinking about adopting a retired racing greyhound, I think its cruel for the dog's owner to just pit it to sleep because it didn't win a race. That's why they have retired racers agency.

Hope I helped,
Rachel

P.S. Here is a pic of my friend's Sheltie, they are also great breeds.

C:\WINDOWS\Desktop\RaTcHeT's JuNk\Pics\emmybaby.bmp

blue_heeler
10-23-2000, 06:44 PM
Ummmmm..........

H http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/confused.gifw do you add pictures in here?

Oh well if you want to see her pic e-mail me.

Oh and by the way, Dogue de Bordeauxes are great dogs too.

Let me know when you finally decide what breed you want, let me know!!!

PolyMax
10-23-2000, 07:53 PM
Hey all. I am new here. I have 2 horses, and a Bichion Frise, (Max) Max is going to be a court jester for HW!!

wandaco
10-23-2000, 07:55 PM
In my opinion boxers are the very best breed. They are devoted and loving. They love to give hugs and kisses. Boxers are excellent with children. They are very intellegent but can be stubborn at times http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif They are independent thinkers and can outsmart you unless you stay on your toes. Once you are owned by a boxer no other breed will satisfy you again

------------------
Wanda Mom to:
Cassie and Erin

tatsxxx11
10-24-2000, 05:17 PM
I agree with Karen. There is really no best breed, only the best breed for you, your lifestyle, home, etc. Read all you can about the type of dog that interests you, talk to friends, go to dog shows, etc. But, if you live an active outdoor life, are athletic, like to hike or swim, have lots of time to play with your dog, LABS RULE!! They are loving, funny, active and great with kids. If you are set on a purebreed, all breeds have rescue organizations for abused and abandoned pups that are in desperate need of a home, and most are online with tons of info. But if I were you, I'de check out your local shelter. Every rescused pup I've ever met is just AWESOME!! They seem to know how lucky they are to have a good home and give such unconditional love. And you will feel so special to have saved a precious soul! Good Luck!

carrie
10-25-2000, 06:44 PM
Hi,
The magazine mentioned in previous posts and featuring Greyhounds has arrived!
Many thanks again Karen, top chick!
The blue pup is beautiful, we used to have a blue line - very handsome!
Top marks though have to go to the white and fawn dog on page 50, I mean WOW! What a great looking dog, a REAL dog! Mmmmmmm!
Again thanks to Karen!

karen israel
10-26-2000, 09:32 AM
Carrie-You're very, very welcome! ANYTHING! ANYTIME!..K

timd
10-31-2000, 08:50 AM
I have 11 months old boxer. They are very good with kids, people and other dogs (if you socialize them with other dogs since they are little). Do some reding on AKC website. Don't know 1 person who owned a boxer and went back to any other breed.

GoldieMom
10-31-2000, 05:03 PM
Hello All, I have 3 Golden Retrievers (Hogan-male-4yrs, Dakota-male-3yrs & Cheyann-female-6 mnths)so I guess you can say that I KINDA lean towards the Golden to be the best dog!! They are VERY gentle, loveing, affectionate, good with kids and other animals, loyal, willing to please, easy to care for, can live in New York appartments ( with daily excersize ) or on acres of land, extremely smart and most of all, they are happy enough just sitting at your feet! They don't care what you look like after working all day or what other DOG you smell like!! (I should know, I am a letter carrier and come in contact with LOTS of other dogs during my day). In 2 years, I hope to breed Dakota and Cheyann with the help of the breeder that I got them from! Well, now that you know my story, let me know what your decition was on what kind of dog you picked!

raynie
11-08-2000, 10:13 AM
im with the boxer lovers! they are sooo sweet, it just oozes out of them. and they really do give hugs.

Lisa
11-10-2000, 08:53 PM
Hi! we have a male Great Pyrenese (Bruno) and that breed is our very favorite at this point. He is the most wonderful family pet!! He's protective, yet very laid back and tolerant with our kids. I know they are not as popular and you don't see as many, but they are definitely one of the VERY big and smart! They really are awesome http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

------------------
Lisa
Bruno's mom

Sudilar
11-10-2000, 09:36 PM
I had a Great Pyr for 12 1/2 years. You are right, they are wonderful dogs. They are very beautiful. My Avalanche was also very protective, but great with kids. She has been at Rainbow Bridge for 4 years now and I miss her very much.
Su

------------------
***Save a life, ADOPT***

BoxerLover
11-12-2000, 03:34 PM
I agree with Wandaco. Boxers are definately the best dogs any where in the entire world! My boxer doesn't drool, lick, and she has the cutest lips and face in the world. She is very well behaved. She's the best overall dog in the world. But I guess you could say I'm a little partial! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif

karen israel
11-13-2000, 07:30 AM
So funny you should mention Great Pyr! I had seen pictures but never had the opportunity to see one in person until a few months ago! He was a 4month old big bundle of fur, play, smiles! I recognized it immediately and just fell in love! I could have played with it all day!!!

Sudilar
11-13-2000, 10:25 AM
Karen,
Yes, Great Pyrs are wonderful dogs. They are great natural guards and taking care of their families and homes is their job! They just love kids and would let them do just about anything to them without harming them. For instance, a little girl came up to my Avalanche and started twisting her ear because she thought they were so pretty. Avi just let her without any aggressive move. However, adults may be a different story. Avi just did not like some people and you never knew who she would not like. If she liked you, though, you had it made! She was very protective of me on our daily walks. No one could ever harm me! Obedience was another story. She passed obedience class with flying colors. She knew what all the commands meant, but, if she didn't feel like doing as you asked, she would not! They are very independent dogs and also VERY smart. She also loved sitting on the couch next to you with her big drooly head in your lap. You always had to have a drool towel around! She was such a love and sooo beautiful!! I really do miss her a lot. I was lucky to have her with me for 12 1/2 years which is a long life for a Pyr!!
Su

------------------
***Save a life, ADOPT***

strawberry_puff13
11-19-2000, 12:31 PM
I have a German Shepherd, she is SOOOOOOOO sweet--she loves to play and is always exited. She's a good natured dog, but when she senses something's not right, she'll come to full alert, ready to move in on whatever it may be-she's and exellent guard dog.
I love a Rottweiler for alot of the same reasons: they're intelligent, obiedient, playful, companionable, beautiful, and a very large, wanderful guard dog!
I would recomend a female over a male because females are less aggresive(towards you), but not to strangers, they are also less likely to wander off!
Our smaller dog--Flap--is a mix between a Chauahuah, Pikenese, and a few other small breeds, he's an exellent watch dog too.
Lara

Jenn
11-19-2000, 06:29 PM
I would have to say Weimaraner. She is so loyal and loving. She hates to be apart from me or my hubby. When we come home there she is waiting ready to give us "the two minute greet" with whole body shaking and almost a state of confusion of who to greet first. She tries to sit but then can't wag the tail. She has so much love for us. She is always up for exercising. She loves taking naps with hubby and playing with me.

She is the best kind of dog for us, however they can be stuborn and vert test and everyday is a test to see if she is alfa that day. She is also very strong and can easily hurt someone without any intentions.

But overall a great temperment and great companion.

Originally posted by SheltieLover234:
http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif Hi I`m think of getting a dog but I don`tm know which one to get so if you could tell me which is your favorite and why?Thanks http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/confused.gif

Jenn
11-19-2000, 06:33 PM
Oh and I forgot to mention, her best friend is a Jack Russell Terrier. They are both about 11 months. Our neighbors and I got them at the same time. They are inseperable!! Dakota (my baby) is about 4 x his size, but I don't think he sees himself as a little guy, he stands up for himself. If one is barking, the other will go nuts until the neighbors and I let them play together, It's a sight!!!!!

Originally posted by SheltieLover234:

lizzy2689
12-05-2000, 03:01 PM
beagels are my fav dog. i have a black, brown, and white one she is 8 months old and her name is lilly. she has learned about 20,000 (exagerated,about 20). they are loyal, kool, caring and understanding. they have eyes like they are always laughing.

RetrieverBabe419
12-06-2000, 12:56 PM
Hello,
My personal favorite breed is a lab. I own 2 of them. I love them because they are excellent with children(how do I know that, I am one)and dont demand alot of needs. Maybe a little excercise now and then but not alot. They get along great with other dogs and most cats. They like to chase them though.I will gladly show you a picture of my dogs if you would like to see them.

*Stephanie*
*Lab Lover*

trihok
12-28-2000, 06:54 AM
Hi! i have a 4 mth old cavelier king charles spaniel, her name is Angel. she is very sweet and nice, can get along with everybody. i also like beagel but according to my friend, beagel is a very active dogs and they like to bite thing. but i still think of getting one later.

Daisy's Mom
12-29-2000, 11:47 PM
My favorite dog is... hmm I wonder if you all know what I am going to say? http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif I of course agree with you basset hound lovers! Those long velvety ears, the short stubby legs, that tail constantly wagging, the droopy... well, everything! And that bark of theirs is hysterical. One of the best Basset aspects is that they are so flexible, they really fit to your life. I once read in a basset book that bassets can be both "avid hunter and couch potato, serious loyal pet or droopy clown!" That definitely sums up my Daisy.

[This message has been edited by Daisy's Mom (edited December 30, 2000).]

wolflady
01-22-2001, 02:34 PM
Hi everyone! I'm a newbie to this site, but it's great! I'm happy to find a site for animal lovers like me:-) All your responses are just great! I've been wanting to get a dog for a long time, but am waiting since I work such long hours (not to mention my commute is a nightmare here in Silicon Valley). I have several favorite breeds. One of my favorites is the Belgian Tervuren(one of the 4 belgian shepherd breeds). It is such a beautiful dog, and I have been considering a Terv rescue. They are a high energy (herding) dog that would be great for agility and herding as well as search and rescue and police work. Since they are a high energy breed, I am waiting until I can work from home. Another breed I have done a lot of research on and have considered is the greyhound. It was neat to see a lot of people mention the greyhound rescue. There is a rescue down the road from where I live in Gilroy, CA. Any advice about the greyhound rescue? Would they be good in a working home?
But, my first dog love is the American Eskimo. I grew up with an Eskie cross, but she was the sweetest dog ever to live. She was great for my sisters and I growing up. She passed away right before my wedding 2 summers ago. We all miss our Misty.
Ok, ok...how many favorites do I have anyway? We all know that the Sato (slang for mixed breed animal in Puerto Rico-http://www.saveasato.org/)aka the mutt is also a great breed:-)

jackiesdaisy1935
01-22-2001, 02:50 PM
I don't think anyone in here has a Schnauzer, whether Mini, Standard or Giant.
Haven't heard of any, but we think they are the best. We have Minis and they are intelligent, proud, independent, playful, loyal and love their family. We have learned to groom them and they should be brushed every day. They do not shed which is great.

*BaSim*
01-24-2001, 07:41 AM
I think the best dogs are German Shepherds!!!! they are not only beautiful but, if trained, loved, and respected, they turn out as a good pet!!!!!! I have allways loved the GSD dog.. And I love what they can do on the police force... They are so smart!!! I have allways loved American Pit Bull terriers!! Alothough they have a bad rep. If trained and respected they are wonderful dogs!!! Many of you may think im crazy for saying that but I love Pit Bulls they are so adorable!!! I cant see how people can disrespect them and train them for fighting.... Do you guys ever watch Wild Rescues on Animal Planet??? Well I do!! and one time there was this one story were this lady called the agruiculter building of her state and wanted to start a puppy mill and they guy that took the call was a little supsishous because the lafy wanted to meet him in a parking lot with one puppy.. The guy knew i little abpout were the puppy mill was and drove up the road were he thought it was.... down the road he found a trailor with trash alll over the place .. he saw 2 big blaqck dogs on the portch with about a foot of chain to walk around. Threw out the whole trailer there was only a window cracked an inch for the dogs to breath. This made me cry so bad how someone could do that to so many dogs the dogs were all over and in one big rooom that was suposed to be kitchen there was dogs from mastiffs to maltese... then back into one of the bedrooms there was a mastiff mommie with her pups.. the guy found a puppie on the shelving left there to rot.... it was so sad i started bursting out in tears.. this has nothing to do with the subject but it just made me thing of mistreating dogs.....

ownerof3dogs
01-24-2001, 02:10 PM
I saw that epasode, it was terrible

Genia
01-24-2001, 07:29 PM
I work in such a high stress job, I constantly chant to myself "relax, relax, relax". The dog I have wanted for the past few years is a Blood Hound. I grew up in the country and having traveled for years, living in cities and towns, big and small, I can't wait to get back to the country. I bought nine acres of land in the country a few years ago. It's beautiful, with a creek running through the property. It's about 5 miles from a small town. When I retire, I plan on building a cabin. I can just picture myself in a big rocker, just like my Grandpa owned, sitting on the front porch with my Blood Hound at my feet (no "Deliverence" jokes, okay?). Just my dogs (gotta have Jeffrey, Bandit, and a Basset, too)and I living the quiet life along with the horses and the cats and the rabbits and the fish and the birds and the hamsters and....

[This message has been edited by Genia (edited January 24, 2001).]

Daisy's Mom
01-24-2001, 08:33 PM
I agree with the Basset and Blood Hound for you Genia! They are so droopy and always look so relaxed, you can't help ut become relaxed too with one look at them!

2doxies mom
01-27-2001, 11:58 AM
My kind of dog is the Dachshund. I have 2 and they will keep you on your toes. They are so smart and they love being right next to you.They own you...not you owning them.
http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif They will teach you fast how they want things.

MUD PUPPY
01-27-2001, 04:28 PM
HI, THAT IS A HARD CAUSE I DON'T KNOW YOU, BUT I HAVE A ST.BERNARD. I DON'T RECOMEND THEM BECAUSE THEY'RE SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BIG!!!!!
LABS ARE GREAT! SO ARE OLD ENGLISH SHEPDOGS!GOOD LUCK!!HOPE YOU FINE THE RIGHT DOG!!!!!

------------------
MUD PUPPY

MUD PUPPY
01-27-2001, 04:36 PM
SORRY. WENT OFF THE QUESTION.ITS A HARD ONE. I THINK IT IS A LANSEER BECAUSE THEY HAVE ALOT 2 LOVE!!

------------------
MUD PUPPY

gebhart763
03-10-2004, 03:51 PM
I have three, plus a big yellow lab:eek: They do keep me on my toes:D My daughter just got a Dapper. Her name is Abby and now I love her too. Mine are Mandy (Wire) Mikey (long h.)Chelsea is (Regular Hot Dog):rolleyes: A;sp a big yello lab, who looks after his peeps.

Desert Arabian
03-10-2004, 03:59 PM
My favorite breed is the (yellow) Labrador Retriever, because it is amazing to watch them working while hunting, it's such a beautiful sight. I love them because of their personality, loyalness, body conformation, etc.

wolfsoul
03-10-2004, 06:22 PM
Catahoula leopard dogs. :D They are very intelligent, very loyal, great guard dogs, amazingly agile (Of course I want an agility dog! :D ), full of energy, very versatile, humourous, stubborn but eager to please, and GORGEOUS. I'm getting one in Summer 2006. :)

cali
03-10-2004, 08:51 PM
border collies of coarse! smart, gorgous, sweet, loving, and FAST! plus they vary so much within the breed, both in looks and personality, so ya never know what you are gonna get, one could be timid and shy yet an outstanding working and another could be a comedien, but could not work if there life depended on it! color, and size, and ears, and nails, and markings.. non of it matters for the border collie! :D and my next favorite is Tollers, dont know what they are like in RL yet, but I jave been talking to a breeder and I plane to get one next year(when I am 18, or closer to it). and cany forget pyrsheps! adorable, fuzzy, smallish, light, and that expression!!!:D

wolfsoul
03-10-2004, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by cali
and my next favorite is Tollers, dont know what they are like in RL yet, but I jave been talking to a breeder and I plane to get one next year(when I am 18, or closer to it).
We have a Toller breeder here in Kelowna. They feed BARF, too. You know you want to come get one over here. ;)

http://toller.tripod.com/ :p

GoldenRetrLuver
03-10-2004, 09:52 PM
Golden Retrievers, of course.
They're extremly smart, easy-going, LOVE to please, and just all around beautiful. :) They shine in the show ring, Obedience trials, and excel as Guide Dogs for the Blind. The Golden Retriever was the first breed to earn the AKC Obedience title. ;) They have that soulful expression that is almost human like. After seeing how great Daisy is, I know I will always have a Golden Retriever in my life.

lovemybostons
03-12-2004, 06:41 AM
My favorite is definitely Boston terriers, I have two. They are very playful, loyal, wonderful watch dogs (although their small size doesn't make them very intimidating) my two think they are big and bad, it's funny. The thing I love most though is they are very people oriented, so if your dog would be alone for long periods of time this breed would not be right for you. They need their people:)

Jessica

Lissa
03-13-2004, 11:58 PM
Besides a the American Mutt, I am in LOVE :swooning!: with Dobermans and am planning on getting one from a rescue when I get a new place. I prefer the red and rust, natural ears. The loyality, the sweet nature to their owners, the protectiveness. And then there is their beauty and sleek.

Besides them I love big dogs like great swiss mountain, GSD, rottie, great dane, greyhounds. Though through all the reading I've done since considering a new dog, I haven't thought of getting anything other then a dobie.

Layka3000
03-23-2004, 10:53 PM
My favorite breed is Irish Setter! Since I was a little girl I grew up with hunting dogs my Uncle had 4 German Pointers.. and you cna gues how he used them! One day my dad comes home holding a puppy he found on the street! (at that time it wasnt safe for dogs event people to be outside because it was WAR!)We named is Layka! She was so cute.. but eventually we had to make a quickmove and we couldnt take her with us and I never had a chance to say good bye!:( Ever since I always wanted a Irish Setter! And they have been my faves toooo! :(

katienoonan
03-29-2004, 05:39 PM
I would have to say that my favorite mixed breed is a bassador(basset/lab) because I have one and she is the sweetest dog in the world, the ultimate couch potato. My favorite pure breed would have to be either a GSD or a Doberman, they are both beautiful and intellegent.

K9 Drill Sergeant
03-30-2004, 07:37 PM
Border Collies and if I listed why, my hands would fall off from typing and you'd all hate me for going ON and ON :p

binka_nugget
03-30-2004, 08:06 PM
Ah, so many choices!

Well, Shelties (obviously) because they're so perfect. They're extremely loyal and only want to please. They have such a gorgeous coat that anyone could spend all day looking at and come in a variety of colors. They're not too big but they aren't terribly small. They're extremely intelligent and will often pick up new commands in a matter of minutes. They're not a very dominant breed and generally get around really well with kids, other dogs and other animals. Kai loves kids, other dogs, cats and even let a couple rats climb on him a couple times. They're so versatile. Shelties are often seen doing flyball, agility, herding and obedience work. They're good watch dogs but horrible guard dogs. Mine would bark at an intruder, show him where all the valuables are, and then lick him to death before he left.

I also love border collies for many of the same reasons.

cloverfdx
03-31-2004, 05:51 AM
Border Collies, Where do i start......They are extremly intelligent, active, sweet, beautiful, willing to work hard, great sporting dogs, their coat types vary as does build, weight, height, ears etc. Ah i just love em :D

Coming in a close second & 3rd & 4th are NSDTR (i may have conned a lady from dog club into trying Flyball with her Toller)
Also Border Terriers, Pyr Shepherds (we cannot get them in Aus yet) and Boxers. All of the above for their ability to work and play hard and i love the Boxers as they are generally the class clowns and make work/play interesting.

MariaM
03-31-2004, 10:34 PM
Man I just love all dogs! I wish I could live long enough to have 2 of each breed, and then a whole bunch of mutts!!! I sure hope there are dogs in Heaven...or wherever I go when I die =)

Layka3000
04-25-2004, 02:54 AM
how old is this thread?

joanofark
05-05-2004, 11:57 AM
GERMAN SHEPERED!!!!:D :D :D If you are looking for a gaurd dog German shepered is the dog you will want. (They are great with kids too!):)

jbower
05-14-2004, 04:30 PM
Saint Bernards
because they are loyal loveable protective (sometimes), cuddley, gentle giants i wouldnt change breeds for anything

Byakko's Mom
05-18-2004, 04:24 PM
I love all kinds of breeds and my heartdog that passed almost 2 yrs ago was an Akita named Kori but the breed I love is the Leonberger and I hope never to be without one again.We have a Leonberger,a lab mix, a shiba inu,and a pom/pap/?mix and love them all but the Leo is the breed that fits me perfectly.I love the giant breeds.I love their docile personality and yet joyful spirit and they are a beautiful dog.But don't get me wrong they are not for everyone and they do require work as all furbabies do.They take grooming and love and training but they are the dog of my heart.

cali
05-18-2004, 09:34 PM
lol I just noticed this thread is 4 years old! lol

We have a Toller breeder here in Kelowna. They feed BARF, too. You know you want to come get one over here.

actually tollwest was my second choice, I checked them out at the same time as the one I am sticking with right now, Torlan tollers is in calgary, much closer to me. I also like Torlan better, because while they are involved in showing they also breed and train dogs for ability, her son trains the dogs for actual tolling, and her daughter trains them for agility. pluse she is VERY nice, and keeps in close touch with all of her puppy owners.

Torlan Tollers (http://www3.telus.net/tctservices/torlan/index.htm)

spunkadelic
06-01-2004, 11:58 AM
I've researched tons of breeds within the last two years and my favorites are below:

1) American Cocker Spaniel (a breed which I'm highly considering on puchasing)

2) Bassett Hound (a breed which I love to look at but don't suit me)

3) Labrador Retreivers (yet again, a breed I love to look at but don't suit me)

4) Golden Retrievers

5) German Sheperds and German Sheperd Crosses

6) Rough Coated Collies (I don't like the way they look in the US - the English look a bit better, they have a more developed stop)

I'm currently researching the American Cocker and am finding out lots of good things. Come in a variety of colors, happy-go-lucky etc. They are the smallest breed in the Sporting Group (AKC). Bassett Hounds are the gentleman's hunter. Most are slow moving, they tend to follow their nose. They are great dogs too. Labrador and Golden Retrievers are highly energetic, love to please and there are a ton of breeders breeding both. Rough Coated Collies are a long haired breed, bred to be herders. Very family oriented dogs (so I hear). German Sheperds are great dogs. I'm learning first hand about this breed as my sister has bought a 9 week old mostly black German Sheperd! She's very outgoing, highly exciteable but very, very obedient even at 9 weeks.

tikeyas_mom
06-03-2004, 06:06 PM
My favorite breed is the siberian husky because on almost every quiz they are best suited to me ahah, j/k.. I love them because they are smart, cute, no two sibes look the same, their pretty blue eyes and I could just get lost in them, I love how they are so independent, and they are also difficult to train and I love the challenge. I believe that Tikeya *my siberian* is perfect for me, and I hope to one day get another siberian husky. :)

IRescue452
06-06-2004, 05:49 PM
The mixed breed, best of many breeds, easier to train, generally more healthy. You have to go by more than what looks cutest to you though or by somebodies favorite. You have to consider your lifestyle and the breed before choosing which dog is best for you. There are many breed selector quizes online to help you out.

Buddy Blaze Lover
06-17-2004, 10:38 AM
BORDER COLLIES!!! They are smart, intelligent, sweet, affectionate, eager-to-please, energetic, great dogs for kids, and FUN!!!! :D I LOVE my Border, Blaze, who is also a great guard dog, and loves me SOOO much!!! I don't know what I would do without him!!!! :eek:

-KT and of course, Blazer Boy-;)

lablvr
07-06-2004, 05:57 PM
My Favorite breed of dog is Labrador Retriever because they are cute, smart, gentle, playful, and loyal.

swimma253
07-07-2004, 08:41 AM
My favorite breeds are a Alaskan Husky, and a Dachshund...

I love Huskies because they are so gentle and friendly... and they just love to play and they are beautiful dogs.http://img14.photobucket.com/albums/v41/swimma253/meeka.jpg

I love Dachshunds because they are just the cutest little things! And they have good personalities!http://www.littlelandkennels.com/14e85e080.jpg (my dachshund puppy is quite a little ham for the camera!)

swimma253
07-07-2004, 09:01 AM
just testing my signature

christrev
07-08-2004, 03:24 PM
Well perhaps I am biased cause I own a GSD + but I luv German Shepherds, they are so loyal, quick & intelligent plus full of fun as well.

Sash might only be part GSD but she has all the qualities of a pure bred & since having her my luv for the breed has grown.

I also luv the Malinois (Belgian Shep) for the same reason (we think Sasha is GSD +Mal) and they are also clever quick etc etc .......only disatvange is their high "drive" you can't tire them out!!!!!!

chris

PS anyone on here know or own a Malinois?

WistfulPassage
07-09-2004, 02:57 AM
I love AKITA's. At least my Akita anyway.

I never even noticed the breed until we rescued Zeeke. Then, once we got him home and settled, I fell in love with both him and the breed. He is loyal, friendly, laid back (most of the time), clean, soft, cuddly, protective- but not mean- just when he perceives a threat and he's pretty good at telling whats a real threat and what's not. (Bad men, see dog, dog snarls, men go away...)

Anyway- i could go on and on and on and on...

Wistful

Heather_009
07-12-2004, 10:21 PM
Beagles rock! They are really sweet and noble! I love 'em!

Toller 42
07-14-2004, 01:56 PM
My favourite dog breed is the nova scotia duck tolling retriever because they are so loyal,smart and energetic!

PairADachs
05-21-2006, 07:25 AM
Mini Dachshunds are intelligent, sensitive, loving, and humorous. They don't have a "dog odor" and are easy to maintain. Our two gals, Daisy and Maddy, make great sleeping companions and help keep my feet warm at night. There are no gophers my yard or any vermin in my home.....they are excellent hunters ! They are willing to please and fun loving companions to both of my grandchildren and all my friends. I can't say enough wonderful things about my two best buddies !

critter crazy
05-21-2006, 07:33 AM
I love most breeds of dogs, preferably large breeds. But my number one favorite has to be the rottweiler!! I just love the breed, they are loyal, protective and get along with children greatly. :)

shihtzulover850
05-23-2006, 10:59 AM
gosh this thread is 6 years old!!!!!! :D And some of the people who posted on it then are not on it now. My favorite breed is shih tzu :p :rolleyes:

dab_20
05-23-2006, 04:05 PM
My favorite would have to be cockers! They are such happy go lucky dogs! They are constantly wagging their little stubby tails and absolutly love people and kids. My little boy, Sam is a cuddle bug and gets along with everyone and everything. (except an occasional squirrel ;) :p )

I also love Molli's breed, toy poodle, but can't keep up with her fur so it stays mostly short. Molli loves everyone and you fall in love w/ her in a heart beat! She's my little sweetie girl.

Katie K.
05-26-2006, 12:49 PM
Weimaraners are my favorite, they are an all around great breed whether family or hunting. They are big goof balls!