PDA

View Full Version : The Real John McCain

lizbud
09-01-2008, 01:08 PM
I had no idea about this man's character or what kind of morals he had
until someone mentioned his treatment of his first wife Carol. They told me
she stood by him after his return from Vietnam even through she had been
through a bad time of things herself following a terrible car accident.

I found this article (one of many) that details McCains earlier marrage.:(

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1024927/The-wife-John-McCain-callously-left-behind.html

Not the kind of person I thought he was at all.

moosmom
09-01-2008, 01:40 PM
That just confirms my loathing of him. What a jerk!!:mad::mad: Obama has my vote, hands down!!!

Pam
09-01-2008, 03:08 PM
WOW! :eek:

RICHARD
09-01-2008, 03:22 PM
I think I read this correctly.

Now, wasn't his ex-wife married with kids of her own when she met JM?
:confused:

If so, how did her marriage end? And why?

She seems to be comfortable with JM, so why all the hinting at he's a jerk?
I know many couples who would never-ever talk to, talk about their ex-spouses, let alone put a bumper sticker asking people to support them for anything.

I noticed that the article, along with the site has a definite "FEMAIL" slant to it.

Of course, the writer will side with the 'strong woman who raised her son on food stamps' as a single parent. Why not go after BO's absent father, The man who spawned this wonderful, charismatic senator?

Carol McCain harbors no 'bitterness' toward JM, so why all the commotion? I am sure many women would love to have their medical bills taken are of for life in exchange for getting rid of their 'anchor'.

All in all it's between Carol and John McCain, they have no public animosity toward each other, so why should their be public animosity toward him?:rolleyes::confused:

Grace
09-01-2008, 03:49 PM
I've read several similar stories. The way I feel about it - both of them had changed drastically over the years that he was a POW.

Those years were bad for all the POW's and their families. Some of the wives divorced and remarried while the husband was still in Vietnam.

We don't have a clue what was going on in either of their minds back then. She needed him; he needed something else. She needed him to be 40; he wanted to be 25. I don't fault either of them.

I agree he could have been a bit kinder at the end. But that can't be changed - can it?

BTW - I will not be voting for McCain, so am not saying any of this out of voter loyalty.

Until we walk in their shoes . . . . . . .

Catty1
09-01-2008, 03:52 PM
According to this article, there was trouble before Carol's accident. He requested combat duty. I am sure he was as patriotic as anyone, but this might have been done out of boredom as well...

The couple married and McCain adopted Carol’s sons. Their daughter, Sidney, was born a year later, but domesticity was clearly beginning to bore McCain – the couple were regarded as ‘fixtures on the party circuit’ before McCain requested combat duty in Vietnam at the end of 1966.

But, if Carol and McCain are okay with each other, that's the point. If he'd dumped her without a cent to her name, that's another thing.

This story was mentioned when John Edwards admitted his affair. Not quite the same thing...JMO

lizbud
09-01-2008, 04:48 PM
I thought it was ironic that his first wife was a beauty queen and swimsuit
model when they met & married. he just couldn't adjust to her "looks" after
the car accident. Sounds pretty shallow to me. Now he's picked another
beauty queen to run as his VP. He definately has an eye for the ladies.:rolleyes:

kuhio98
09-01-2008, 04:57 PM
I thought it was ironic that his first wife was a beauty queen and swimsuit
model when they met & married. he just couldn't adjust to her "looks" after
the car accident. Sounds pretty shallow to me. Now he's picked another
beauty queen to run as his VP. He definately has an eye for the ladies.:rolleyes:If that's the main reason he chose her -- if that was even in the top 100 things to consider when choosing her, then he deserves to go down in flames.

Seriously, do you think that was in the a consideration?

RICHARD
09-01-2008, 05:14 PM
I thought it was ironic that his first wife was a beauty queen and swimsuit model when they met & married.

Find me a man who marries a woman who is not attractive and plain. LOL, Find me a woman who would marry an ugly guy with no money.

Women and men marry for the same reasons. Money, power and looks.

The author kinda skimmed over the fact the CM was married before -she did say that she did flirt with JM and ended up marrying him.

That's the kind of journalistic FA-ism that people who write use to gloss over a person's history.

Did CM have an affair with JM? Did she wait until she was divorced to hop into the sack with him? Who was to blame for Carol's first marriage crumbling?

Hey, let's call BO's dad on the carpet. Praise the mom but don't bother to track down his father and read him the riot act for leaving her alone?

The article serves one purpose and it's really obvious who gets the pass and who will get crumbed on.

Don't all women love men in uniform?

Grace
09-01-2008, 05:28 PM
His two sons - the boys he adopted when he married Carol - don't seem to be as upset about things as some here do.

Andrew is a Vice President and CFO for Hensley & Company (the beer company Cindy owns). He was recently elected President of the Phoenix Chamber of Commerce.

Douglas is a pilot for American Airlines. He lives near his mother in Virginia. He said she has a McCain bumper sticker on her car, and has contributed toward the campaign.

K9soul
09-01-2008, 06:16 PM
Find me a man who marries a woman who is not attractive and plain. LOL, Find me a woman who would marry an ugly guy with no money.

This isn't to do with the original subject matter, but I just would like to point out that sometimes (not always), when people fall in love, someone becomes more attractive to them who at first may not have been. It is possible to fall in love not based on looks or money, it has happened with online relationships. I guess it just depends on individuals and life experiences. But I do know at least when I have come to care for someone, even things about their appearance becomes dear to me, even when they are "flaws." Just an observation :)

jennielynn1970
09-01-2008, 06:39 PM
I think I've dated plenty of men, and almost married a few, who had little to no money and weren't exactly gorgeous. This mindset is a bit of a stereotype, and hints at a bit of resentment on your part, Richard.

Women and men marry for the same reasons. Money, power and looks.
Since when?? Are all men and women that shallow?!

Hey, let's call BO's dad on the carpet. Praise the mom but don't bother to track down his father and read him the riot act for leaving her alone?
Would be interesting to see what the father had to say. Has he been contacted at all? Would it be the same with the jounalism if he was raised by just his father, and not his mother?

Don't all women love men in uniform?
Um.... NO! Men in uniform are definitely NOT on my list of what I like. Some men I like in a nice suit. Some men I prefer to see in jeans and a tshirt. Some men I'd rather see in leather and on a bike.

Are you the stereotypical man who prefers blonde women with big boobs? Do you like, or want, to be categorized?? I don't like to be categorized, that's for sure (try to fit me into the "librarian with a bun" mold, and I'll fly to Cali and set you straight myself, lol).

RICHARD
09-01-2008, 06:54 PM
This isn't to do with the original subject matter, but I just would like to point out that sometimes (not always), when people fall in love, someone becomes more attractive to them who at first may not have been.

So, Politics do make strange bedfellows?;)

This is what I like about PT and the threads here in the Dog House. We all have definite opinions about what we like in our lives.

We do have differing opinions and we do get antsy about when it doesn't jibe with our own. But we do agree to disagree and have a bit of fun when it comes down to it.

---------

JTL,

I am being facetious.

Blondes and Boobs are a dime a dozen out here in Cah Lee fuh nee ah. The have to show me they can think, chew gum and walk in stilleto heels before I give them a second look.:o

I like like all women. Especially a woman who wears leather.
She smells like a new car!:rolleyes:

A librarian with one bun? How do you sit down?:eek:

You threat is duly noted.:)

Pam
09-01-2008, 07:03 PM

:D:D Oh Richard, you do have a way of lightening up a thread! :p:p

Grace
09-01-2008, 07:06 PM
Would be interesting to see what the father had to say. Has he been contacted at all? Would it be the same with the jounalism if he was raised by just his father, and not his mother?

His father died in 1982.

Karen
09-01-2008, 07:16 PM
Love often has nothing to do with money or power, and as beauty is simply in the eye of the beholder, you cannot say for sure who someone will find beautiful, who they'd find plain, or ugly.

I think we don't know the whole story of the break-up of John McCain's marriage to Carol, certainly not from one article. I wouldn't base my vote on any one article or source.

If the story has you curious, by all means, do more research.

Edwina's Secretary
09-01-2008, 07:40 PM
It was talked about quite a bit here in Southern California. There was some difficulty getting Nancy Reagan to endorse McCain and when she did it was a very tepid endorsement.

Seems McCain's first wife worked for Nancy and is a friend of Nancy. Nancy has never forgiven McCain for the manner in which he treated his first wife.

Catty1
09-01-2008, 07:51 PM
From Wikipedia on "Carol McCain"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carol_McCain

Early life and first marriage

Carol Shepp grew up in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.[3] She first knew John McCain while he was attending the United States Naval Academy in Annapolis from 1954 to 1958.[4] She then married one of his classmates,[4][5] Alasdair Swanson, in 1958.[6] She and her husband had two children, Douglas (born 1959) and Andrew (born 1962),[7][8] and lived in Pensacola, Florida.[6] The couple subsequently divorced in June 1964, after she sued him for infidelity.[6] Five feet eight inches in height,[9] Shepp was a successful swimwear model[1] in Philadelphia.[3]

Sued him for infidelity? And then picked another winner in THAT department....:rolleyes:

She met McCain again the same year she divorced Alasdair (1964), and married McCain just over a year later in July 2005.

John McCain pushed to end the marriage;[17] Carol McCain was described by friends as being in shock from the developments.[17][6] The McCains stopped cohabiting in January 1980;[6] John McCain filed for a divorce in February 1980,[6] which Carol McCain accepted at that time.[17] When asked by a friend what had gone wrong, she said, "It's just one of those things."[17] The uncontested divorce became official in Fort Walton Beach, Florida on April 2, 1980.[28][6]

John McCain would later say, "My marriage's collapse was attributable to my own selfishness and immaturity more than it was to Vietnam, and I cannot escape blame by pointing a finger at the war. The blame was entirely mine."[24] Carol McCain would later say: "The breakup of our marriage was not caused by my accident or Vietnam or any of those things. I don't know that it might not have happened if John had never been gone. I attribute it more to John turning 40 and wanting to be 25 again than I do to anything else."[24] John McCain's biographer, Robert Timberg believes that "Vietnam did play a part, perhaps not the major part, but more than a walk-on."[29] According to Carol, her husband's five-year captivity in Vietnam had left him wanting to "make up for lost time,"[1] and John put it this way: "I had changed, she had changed....People who have been apart that much change."[29] Ross Perot would later say, " After he came home, he walked with a limp, she [Carol McCain] walked with a limp. So he threw her over for a poster girl with big money from Arizona [Cindy McCain, his current wife] and the rest is history." [19] Carol’s three children were initially upset with John McCain about the divorce, but later reconciled.[17]

John McCain gave Carol a settlement that included alimony, child support, houses in Virginia and Florida, and lifelong financial support for her ongoing medical treatments resulting from the 1969 automobile accident.[1] John McCain and Hensley were married on May 17, 1980.[24] Carol McCain was sued by Roberta McCain, John's mother, in 1980 for return of personal property; the suit was settled out of court in 1981.[30]

lizbud
09-02-2008, 12:02 PM
I think we don't know the whole story of the break-up of John McCain's marriage to Carol, certainly not from one article. I wouldn't base my vote on any one article or source.

If the story has you curious, by all means, do more research.

I had no knowledge of any of McCain's background & did do some googling
to bring up lots of different articles on his earlier marrage after hearing
someone else bring it up in conversation. Seems he lost his friendship
with the Reagans over the way he treated Carol (first wife).

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-divorce11-2008jul11,0,5924926,full.story

kitten645
09-02-2008, 12:10 PM
"Why not go after BO's absent father, The man who spawned this wonderful, charismatic senator? "

Speaking to the DUH factor here...A wife and a father are two very different relationships:rolleyes: What if they DID talk to Barack's father? What does that say about Barack's character? He played NO role in the actions of his father. Not true of McCain. His actions in his relationships are completely within his control. I think the back up info on Nancy Regan and other comments speak loudly of his character. :(

Catty1
09-02-2008, 08:17 PM
As someone here already pointed out, Barack's biological father died in 1982.

Now, there might be some who SAY they could talk to him....;)

jennielynn1970
09-02-2008, 10:24 PM
---------

JTL,

I am being facetious.

Blondes and Boobs are a dime a dozen out here in Cah Lee fuh nee ah. The have to show me they can think, chew gum and walk in stilleto heels before I give them a second look.:o

I like like all women. Especially a woman who wears leather.
She smells like a new car!:rolleyes:

You threat is duly noted.:)

Facetious, you?! No!!!!

A woman who smells like "new car"... now there is something the perfume manufacturers can take on next!! Calvin Klein's newest fragrance...

And if I only had one "bun", it would still be more than enough, lol.

moosmom
09-03-2008, 11:04 AM
Jenn,

I'll be more than happy to donate one of MY buns to you.:D

lizbud
09-03-2008, 04:31 PM
So far, I haven't found anything that would make her a good pick for VP,
just more cons than pros. She supports the shooting of wolfs from airplanes.

Hardly a "fair chase" shoot.:( That's not sport, that's slaughter.:mad:

http://www.slate.com/id/2199140/

sparks19
09-03-2008, 04:41 PM
amazing how the same story can be told so many different ways

http://www.adn.com/wildlife/story/491012.html

lizbud
09-03-2008, 04:52 PM
They shot the wolfs to protect the "game" hunters who want to shoot
them for themselves. Don't they have grocery stores in Alaska? :confused:

RICHARD
09-03-2008, 05:12 PM

Next time think about loading the kids up in the old snowmobile to grab a few tacos from Jack in the (ice) Box?

I kid, I kid.;)

----------

K645,

Great points about control of choices. So.......can we say the Palin had 'no control' over her daughter's choices?

The Nancy Reagan dislike of JM is partly because of the "good old girls" network. Women will side with their GFs in that situation.

sparks19
09-03-2008, 06:26 PM

Depending which article you read. they shot them for the hunters or they shot them because the herd was "endangered" for some reason. depends who's writing it and what spin they want to put on it. I suspect we won't ever know the REAL reason.

As for grocery stores in Alaska... depending where you live?! not always. they can be far away and the weather can get really hazardous. I'd rather know I had a freezer full of moose meat than have to go to the grocery store and realize I can't get there and if they go to the grocery store then they are buying meat from cattle who were likely kept in horrid conditions and then slaughtered inhumanely. Rock and a hard place I guess.

Edwina's Secretary
09-03-2008, 06:49 PM
The Nancy Reagan dislike of JM is partly because of the "good old girls" network. Women will side with their GFs in that situation.

Really? And do the "good old boys" network men side with their BFs?

How does that explain Ronnie?

And Iam curious...did Nancy tell you that is why?