PDA

View Full Version : Ginger has gone on to a new home.

Sirrahsim
08-31-2008, 08:28 PM
Please hear me out. My heart is very heavy as I type this.

Over the course of Ginger's last 7 months here with us, we have had many ups and downs but mostly downs. In the beginning, we were determined adnd confident that we could handle her and all of her puppy energy and mischief. As it turns out, we were wrong. Ginger is a VERY active dog that requires an enormous amount of time and attention. As a family with two small children and a heavy work schedule, we simply do not have what it takes to make this a happy and comfortable home for Ginger. We have consulted with a trainer and even she said that she has never seen a Golden that is as high needs as Ginger.

In addition to not having enough time to give her the attention and exercise that she needs, her issues with Boomer have not improved at all and seem to be getting worse by the day. For the most part they did not cross paths because Boomer is scared stiff of her, but every time Ginger does see him she immediately goes into prey mode. The hair on her back stands up and the teeth are bared.

On to the happier stuff.
Her new family is a member of our own family who have a HUGE yard and another dog who she gets along with wonderfully. Her new skin Mom is well versed in dog training and is definately more than qualified to handle a high needs dog like Ginger.
We know that this is the right decision for Ginger, even though it hurts like crazy.... Here are some pictures of Ginger and her new sister Betty Boop relaxing before she left for her new home.
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee214/tylerwendl/August2008007-2.jpg
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee214/tylerwendl/August2008014.jpg
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee214/tylerwendl/August2008011-2.jpg

K9karen
08-31-2008, 09:19 PM
You'll get no criticism from me. I'm a firm believer that an owner knows their dog best, and knows what's best to make their dog happy. Who wants an unhappy dog? The goal is to live peacefully and happily together as a family.

Betty Boop is beautiful and Ginger looks thrilled already! I hope since Ginger is now with a member of your family, you'll be able to see her. There's no way for you to have known the future when you got Ginger, and every dog, as we know, as a distinct personality.

My bet is that Ginger will be ecstatic with a new playmate and a huge yard! Here's to a long, healthy and wonderful life for Ginger!

shais_mom
08-31-2008, 09:46 PM
goldens are high energy puppies - that are puppies for awhile.
I'm sure she will be much happier in her new home.
It sounds too me she might be a good candidate for search and rescue work giving that she passes the health test.

AdoreMyDogs
08-31-2008, 11:13 PM
I'm so sorry Missy, Paul, Tyler and Austin :( I totally understand, but I know how hard this was for you. It was very brave of you to realize Ginger might be happier somewhere else, and that you didn't have the time necessary for such a furry bundle of energy. She truly was an energetic dog. I'm glad she has a pup to play with, but most of all, I'm glad Boomer is safe.

I was so worried when you told me how crazy agressive she was towards Boomer, and that she obviously wanted to kill him. I was so worried about Boomer and how hard it would be for your boys if one of them happened to witness the horrendous event, had she ever gotten a hold of Boomer. That worried me a lot. Dogs who hate cats that much really should have a cat-free home. That is not your fault, none of this is your fault. You did everything you're supposed to do with her, you trained her, gave her direction, gave her love, good food, socialiation, and she still wanted to kill Boomer. I really think you did the right thing for yourselves and most of all, for Boomer.

I'm here for you if you ever need to talk. Again I'm so sorry :(

Karen
08-31-2008, 11:49 PM
Oh, Missy, sending you great big hugs. I am sure this was a difficult decision for everyone, but it sounds like it was the right decision for Ginger and for your family. At some point, perhaps you can get a dog that is cat-friendly and can get along with Boomer, and not cause you so much worry. A prey drive is a powerful thing, and that worry would always have been there.

I know you love her, and wanted the best for her, and no one here will think any less of you for this decision. And at her new house, she'll have the advantage of a "big sister" who can not only help use up some of that energy, but who can *thump* her when she gets out of line, and teach her how to be a good dog as she grows.

RockyRoad
09-01-2008, 01:08 AM
I`m so sorry to hear that things did not work out for you, for Boomer, or for sweet Ginger. However, I`m very glad to hear that she has a new home where you will still be able to be a part of her life. It sounds like she will be happy in her new home and that you have done the best thing for her. :) As Karen said, no one is going to think less of you for this. I for one would never dream of criticizing you for what you have done. It was a great, selfless thing. {{hugs}}

Ginger's Mom
09-01-2008, 08:01 AM
It's good to hear that Ginger and Boomer both have homes that they can flourish in. And the extra good news is that we will still be able to see pictures of Ginger as she grows. Maybe we will even get some more pictures of that adorable Betty Boop this way, too. :)

I do understand, I would never bring a cat into this house because Ginger has such a high prey drive. It is very scary.

sasvermont
09-01-2008, 08:14 AM
I am an advocate of "rehoming" - for sure. Animals, if treated nicely, will thrive under what we think may be trying circumstances. Although there will be adjustments, most pets get with the program easily. It is a responsible thing to do.

After seven months, I am sure you know if it is working or not.

I am so glad you found a good home for her and will be able to keep up with her progress. The fact that she has a friend to play with 24/7 is a real plus.

Good job.

Rachel
09-01-2008, 08:29 AM
I'm agree with the others. You have made a difficult decision yet in the end I do believe that Ginger will be much better off in her new home. Sometimes in our enthusiasm to have a dog, we don't consider all the ramifications of our situation and their temperment and needs. I speak from experience. I made that type of mistake more than once as a young adult. Actually you have done an excellent job in rectifying what turned out to be a mistake. In the end, Ginger has probably ended up better off with all that has transpired than if you never had her in the first place. You've done a good job in finding her a good home. That is the most important thing. You don't have to regret your decision.

Alysser
09-01-2008, 10:00 AM
I'm sorry about Ginger, but overall I think you made the right decision. I have no doubt that she was very happy with you in the past 7 months. I don't really see a problem with rehoming a dog unless the person gets one right after or they dump it at a shelter. You found a great home for her, there is no need to feel bad about it. :) You can still visit her, can't you? I think it was for best. I wish Ginger good luck in her new home.

Taz_Zoee
09-01-2008, 01:24 PM
I agree with everyone that you made the right decision. After all, you gave it your best for 7 months. Some people do not give that much of a chance. I know it is heartbreaking for you, but at least you will get to see her. And hopefully we will too. And Betty Boop is such a cutie, I'd love to see more of her. :)

Freedom
09-01-2008, 02:30 PM
I can't say anything not already said. So ditto all the above.

Shais Mom wrote:
"goldens are high energy puppies - that are puppies for awhile."

Bear is a Golden here in my neighborhood. His family got him at 14 weeks. They are still waiting for his puppy energy to subside. Bear will turn 7 in September! :eek: His humom says he has smartened up a little :D but slow down? Not that she has seen!

You made a tough decision, which was in Ginger's best interest. That is one of the hardest things for pet owners to do.

buttercup132
09-01-2008, 04:05 PM
Not to sound harsh but I can't say this really suprises me, even though I'm not active from the threads I've read I didn't think it would last. It would have been pretty easy to fix this if you were just constant with her on your part.
I can't stress enough that people need to RESEARCH the breed before getting them.

Anyways I'm glad she's in a home that will understand her and her needs.

Daisy and Delilah
09-01-2008, 04:15 PM
I have no criticism either, Missy. It's the right decision for you and your family. You're a very sensible, smart, lady and you know what needs to be done. Ginger will be happy I'm sure. There is no reason on earth for anybody to down you for this. I know it was a hard decision to make and I'm sorry. {{{{{HUGS}}}}}

On another note: I've met many Goldens in my 57 years of life. Not one of them was identical to any other one. All Goldens are not alike, all Pitties are not alike, all Chis are not alike, etc. etc. etc.
A person can research until the cows come home and not know if the dog they bring home will be suitable for their particular situation. Bottom line; every dog is not always suitable for every person. Sometimes it just doesn't work out.
On a second note: There are two small children in this home. This is alot different than there being no children at all.
I'm pretty certain that there were many factors in making this decision. This dog has gone to a home that's better suited for her. What could be wrong with that?

buttercup: You're so sure that Missy could have done better.........do you know her pretty well? Your comments were totally uncalled for.

buttercup132
09-01-2008, 05:14 PM
No I don't but there is a rather easy fix for this.
Get the dog in obidience and start NILIF with her.
Tether her to you that way she doesn't get into trouble and you don't constantly have to watch her. If your busy making dinner, cleaning etc. just ignore the dog and pretend she's not even tied to you.

I know not every dog is the same but all puppies are hyper wether it be alot or random spurts of it. And by researching Goldens you would see that alot of people say they are hyper until a certain age.

carole
09-01-2008, 05:21 PM
You had a hard call to make, and you made it, it sounds perfect to me, the best solution out for Ginger and your family, and you can still get to see Ginger whenever you want i gather.

It sounds like Ginger is going to be very happy,so good on you for seeing things the way they were and taking positive action to ensure Ginger's happiness and well being.

Buttercup i understand what you are saying, but i think you are being way to judgemental on this issue, I mean it is not like Ginger is going somewhere like a shelter, she will be perfectly happy where she is, and i guess they will have learned by the experience, we all make mistakes don't we?

AdoreMyDogs
09-01-2008, 07:04 PM
Not to sound harsh but I can't say this really suprises me, even though I'm not active from the threads I've read I didn't think it would last. It would have been pretty easy to fix this if you were just constant with her on your part.
I can't stress enough that people need to RESEARCH the breed before getting them.

Anyways I'm glad she's in a home that will understand her and her needs.

I've met the dog several times, Missy has taken her to her training since she was a small pup. The dog is not only non-stop energy (sorry to step on any feet, Missy) but she also wanted to kill Missy's cat, Boomer. The prey drive was very serious and with two small children, that's not a risk she should have to take. I've seen lots of goldens in my time. I've seen some extremely active ones, I've done lots of training with my dogs, SAR/tracking/obedience/agility, and I've not run across a pup with this much energy in a long time. I also know that the extreme prey drive towards her cat is uncharactic of a golden. Every dog is different, but that is not a typical golden trait. Regardless of how much research goes into any breed, there are always "odd apples" out there that develop traits uncharacteristic of their breed. I've never seen a dog quite like Ginger, and never seen such a desire to kill a family housecat who was introduced immediately to Ginger as a small pup.

I would have done the same thing if I had a dog who went after my cats like Ginger did. It is not surprising Missy rehomed Ginger, it was responsible. What is surprising is that Ginger was so driven to kill Boomer.

Alysser
09-01-2008, 09:21 PM
I would have done the same thing if I had a dog who went after my cats like Ginger did. It is not surprising Missy rehomed Ginger, it was responsible. What is surprising is that Ginger was so driven to kill Boomer.

Exactly what I was thinking. Not to offend you Alicia, but I think this was a responsible move on her part. Boomer was the first pet therefore he stays. What if something happened when they weren't home? What if Gingers crate was not locked all the way on accident? It's just to risky. No, I've never met the dog but if I were in that situation I would have done the same thing. I'd MUCH rather see a dog re-homed into a good loving home then dumped at a shelter.

Sirrahsim
09-01-2008, 09:40 PM
Thank you everyone:) I know in my heart that we did the right thing but I was nervous about telling all of you:o We will be able to visit Ginger regularly, she is only a couple of hours away.

House is pretty quiet without my puppy girl :(

sasvermont
09-01-2008, 09:44 PM
You did the right thing. She is probably asleep right now, having played with her furry friend all day long. She will be fine. Really. You couldn't ask for a better solution.

If I have learned anything about pet ownership it is that it must work for the pet and the family.

Maybe, just maybe, you can try her again, if things change....after you return from Germany. She should be out of her puppy stage by then. You just never know.

Sleep tightly, knowing that you did the right thing.:)

kt_luvs_kitties
09-01-2008, 10:31 PM
When I started reading the original post, I was going :rolleyes:... I dont think energy is a reason to rehome a pup. BUT- After hearing high prey drive, then I understood completely.

I would NEVER< EVER put my kitties in danger. They were here first, and they wont be rehomed.

If Joey or Dora had any desire to hurt my kitties, I would do the SAME THING! I love them both, and would try my best to rehab them, BUT if I truly felt they were going to cause serious injury to the other pets, I would rehome them. I would not dump them, I would give them to my parents (which IS pretty much what Missy did). She can visit and make sure that Ginger would not end up in a shelter or with a less than caring home.

It is being responsible. I pat her on the back for protecting her kitty, and making sure Ginger in loved, and not around smaller pets. Win Win in my eyes.

Taz_Zoee
09-02-2008, 10:15 AM
No I don't but there is a rather easy fix for this.
Get the dog in obidience and start NILIF with her.
Tether her to you that way she doesn't get into trouble and you don't constantly have to watch her. If your busy making dinner, cleaning etc. just ignore the dog and pretend she's not even tied to you.

I know not every dog is the same but all puppies are hyper wether it be alot or random spurts of it. And by researching Goldens you would see that alot of people say they are hyper until a certain age.

How do you know what she has done and tried with Ginger? You are not in her house, you have no idea what she's done with her.
Remember, she has two young children to take care of as well. She gave Ginger a chance (as I stated in my previous post). I've seen other people not give an animal even close to 7 months to work it out and then "dump" them who knows where. Ginger is with family. That's the best possible scenario for all involved.

Daisy and Delilah
09-02-2008, 01:57 PM
How do you know what she has done and tried with Ginger? You are not in her house, you have no idea what she's done with her.
Remember, she has two young children to take care of as well. She gave Ginger a chance (as I stated in my previous post). I've seen other people not give an animal even close to 7 months to work it out and then "dump" them who knows where. Ginger is with family. That's the best possible scenario for all involved.

Well said, Cindy.

buttercup: the comment you made that Cindy quoted, it's so ridiculous, I really think you must be looking for an argument. Why did you choose to make someone feel bad when it wasn't necessary? What is wrong with a person rehoming a dog to a good, reliable, home if they can't handle the dog in their own home? Let's all remember that the children and Boomer were there before Ginger. You make Missy out as a bad person that just gave up without trying. We know this isn't true. Why push it?
Maybe you'll have children some day and you can see what it's like to try to handle 400 things at once by yourself. I've already done it myself and it's not easy.

Sorry for even furthering this. It just irritates me to no end that Missy explained her story well and it's perfectly understandable to all of us but one. The one person doesn't even have any children. The one person who always thinks everything is so easy without having experienced much of life herself. Sorry if I have offended anyone.

pitc9
09-02-2008, 03:48 PM
I'm so sorry things didn't work out with Ginger. She is such a beautiful girl!
I'm sure you all will be happy having a dog free home from now on.

buttercup132
09-02-2008, 05:27 PM
I would have done the same thing if I had a dog who went after my cats like Ginger did. It is not surprising Missy rehomed Ginger, it was responsible. What is surprising is that Ginger was so driven to kill Boomer. I didn't know this, I like kt thought it was just because of the energy. I just brought my dog back to the shelter because she tried to attack my kitten 3 times and my dog, I'm not going to put my pets in danger either. I can understand that, I wouldn't understand if it was for high energy.

It just irritates me to no end that Missy explained her story well and it's perfectly understandable to all of us but one. Actually I wasn't the only one, the other people just never posted it.

is so easy without having experienced much of life herself Why do you say this?

Daisy and Delilah
09-02-2008, 07:35 PM
I say that because: you so frequently seem to have a derogatory answer for everything. I understand there are people saying that and not posting but at least they kept it to themselves.
Some of us, including me, have been through more in our lives than we care to mention here. Being alot younger than me, can you actually say you've been through as much as I have or as much as others here in the community? I just don't see you being able to relate to her situation so closely that you feel you have the right to give her advice and say what you did.

You have the right to your opinion of any situation, just like everybody else but.........I think Missy is one of the nicest members of our community and I felt the need to support her after she was blasted. I'm not trying to start an argument or upset anybody. Missy is the only person that knows her situation. She felt terrible having to tell the board this news. I thought it was better to try to understand her and give her a few good words.

buttercup: Do you realize that you're almost always the person that starts the derogatory tone in so many threads? I didn't see that for awhile and I was really surprised to see it again.

caseysmom
09-02-2008, 07:43 PM
Sorry you had to go through all that Missy I am glad you found a good home for ginger. {{hugs}}

jennielynn1970
09-02-2008, 09:27 PM
Missy, I'm so sorry that you had to rehome Ginger, but she is with family and you know she'll be in wonderful care.

I'm so sorry you had to read such thoughtless and mean comments from someone else on this board about rehoming Ginger. Some people can point fingers at others, but can't stand to have them pointed at themselves.

You did what you thought was best, and you did it in all of their best interests, so that's all that matters.

Sirrahsim
09-02-2008, 11:01 PM
:love:Thanks everybody :)

carole
09-02-2008, 11:41 PM
The way i look at it Missy, i would never judge you until i had walked in your'e shoes,I see it that you made a really responsible decision and besides what could be better for Ginger than to be with family you know and love and trust, and as you said you can still see her,honestly as i said before it is the perfect solution.So don't feel heavy hearted about it at all.:)

CountryWolf07
09-03-2008, 09:20 AM
The way i look at it Missy, i would never judge you until i had walked in your'e shoes,I see it that you made a really responsible decision and besides what could be better for Ginger than to be with family you know and love and trust, and as you said you can still see her,honestly as i said before it is the perfect solution.So don't feel heavy hearted about it at all.:)

Ditto! :) You did what you thought was the best for Ginger.

sirrahbed
09-03-2008, 11:39 AM
aww Missy:( Cheer up now and relax! It was nice to see the pictures of Ginger with Betty Boop - to see them already acting like buddies. I am also glad to know that Boomer is once again feeling safe to come out and enjoy his home:D I bet Ginger is having a blast running around her new domain, too!!

(((hugs))))

cyber-sibes
09-03-2008, 07:45 PM
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee214/tylerwendl/August2008011-2.jpgI'd say this picture says it all. Ya done good finding her an appropriate home. ;)

Logan
09-03-2008, 08:38 PM
Ginger is a beautiful girl. I hope that she will thrive in her new home and settle down with her new sister and become a good girl. Missy, I have to tell you that I have fought, so far, the urge to rehome one of my dogs, but we live in a mess, two of our dogs, totally seperated, so that they can both be here. :( I can't judge you because I don't know what is worse....keeping your dogs seperated to make peace in your home or rehoming one so that they get the attention they need and your home is peaceful. I hope that rehoming is the right answer for Ginger and for your family. You have my support and Ginger does too.