PDA

View Full Version : Help!!!!! I've got crickets!!!

moosmom
08-31-2008, 07:27 PM
It started the other day when all my cats were on the bed watching this cricket. I got him and put him out the window with a paper towel.

This afternoon I was leaving for work and found one crawling on my stove!!! He hightailed it so I couldn't catch him. I called maintenance and hope they'll come soon. Crickets creep me out. They are a source of protein to cats.:p

Hellow
08-31-2008, 07:28 PM
Crickets dont bite :). I heard that it was a Chinese tradition to keep crickets in a jar for like a month, but before they die.

Logan
08-31-2008, 07:43 PM
I thought crickets were supposed to be good luck!!!!! ;)

Karen
08-31-2008, 07:48 PM
Traditionally, crickets are good luck! I'm sure the cats think so, anyway!

RICHARD
08-31-2008, 07:57 PM
Oh LOL,

I saw one in my house last night....I think a crickey in the hearth is good luck too!!!!:D

K9karen
08-31-2008, 09:42 PM
The lightening speed critters always venagle their way into my basement. Found one yesterday in the dryer sitting on a towel. Logan's fascinated by them too. I won't kill anything that brings me good luck!:p They die on their own in the house anyway.

Catty1
08-31-2008, 09:54 PM
Donna - my concern with spraying for them is that one of your kitties might find a dead one, and make it a source of protein with a nasty chemical in it that might cause harm.

Is there such a thing as a 'cricket trap', like the roach motels? Or a harmless live trap with bait, so they can be released into the wild again?

gini
09-01-2008, 12:21 AM
You will all think I am nuts - but so be it. I just rescued a cricket in my office. He was actually a very healthy speciman.

I happened to have a jar in my office and I told him, "if you will jump into this jar, I will take you outside." He jumped into the jar right away, he was taken outside and my good luck continues.

Thank you Mr. Cricket!!

jennielynn1970
09-01-2008, 12:48 AM
I am so not a cricket fan. They look too much like waterbugs to me. Blech! Haven't had crickets here, although I think I'd prefer them to the water bugs I get in the basement when it gets damp.

Medusa
09-01-2008, 07:11 AM
I thought crickets were supposed to be good luck!!!!! ;)

Crickets bring money! If you see one in your house, it means your money is going to improve, especially if one is on your hearth. Take it as a good sign, Donna. :)

moosmom
09-01-2008, 08:19 AM
Mary,

A cricket will bring me money??:eek: Tell 'em I'll take it in 20's and 50's please. I haven't seen any since. I'm just afraid they will multiply. Come on $$$$$$!

Hellow
09-01-2008, 08:20 AM
We have crickets all in our house, they can help you sleep sometimes. We also have spiders, which if they dont bite, we welcome too because they help decrease the fly population :).

Hellow
09-01-2008, 08:21 AM
Mary,

A cricket will bring me money??:eek: Tell 'em I'll take it in 20's and 50's please. I haven't seen any since. I'm just afraid they will multiply. Come on $$$$$$!
Big money big money!!!! :p

Medusa
09-01-2008, 08:28 AM
Mary,

If they multiply, so will your money. Chinese lore says that the more crickets in your house, the wealthier you can become. They even keep them in bamboo cages in their homes. Crickets die a natural death in your house anyhow, especially w/their natural predators (cats) around. Don't kill them, be thankful for them. :)

columbine
09-01-2008, 08:43 AM
Crickets are seasonal, and have "big years" and "little years." This is probably a one-time occurrence. Just buy yourself a lottery ticket and consider them free cat toys/supplements, and they'll go away by themselves. They don't live very long.

Reggie - I live in a basement and welcome the spiders too, because they eat the moths who would otherwise eat my clothes, and the fruit flies who get in my juice and make unwanted punctuation on my computer screen. I've even come to terms with the silly house centipedes, because they eat ant eggs, and I really don't want to deal with ants (so far they're doing a great job).

Love, Columbine

RICHARD
09-01-2008, 03:38 PM
I happened to have a jar in my office and I told him, "if you will jump into this jar, I will take you outside."

When you wish upon a star!!!!

---------

Don't tell me you put him into the jar you keep by your desk!?!:)

Sometimes Gini's boss won't let her go to the rest room!:confused::(

Catlady711
09-01-2008, 09:25 PM
Every year about this time I get a TON of crickets in my basement. They don't just stay there either, they crawl up the heat registers and get all over my house. I keep finding them in my clothes, and I've been told they EAT clothes!:eek:

I don't believe in Chinese folklore, or any other folklore that says I should welcome crickets in my house. If crickets did, in fact, bring prosperity, then I should have surpassed Bill Gates in finances years ago.

I squish the buggers as fast as I find them, or at least hopfully faster than they can dive under my hot water heater. ewwww

Taz_Zoee
09-02-2008, 11:15 AM
I HATE crickets. Dead or alive!! I'm not afraid of them, I just don't like the fact that they jump and have sticky little legs and they are UGLY!!!
We have a cricket problem in our office, but I usually find them dead or dying (they must have sprayed something around the building). I asked a maintenance guy to pick up two dead crickets and he wouldn't!! :mad: I didn't like him much to begin with and now I REALLY don't like him. I just thought it was rude. So a girl in our department picked them up for us. MEN!!!

Hellow
09-02-2008, 11:54 AM
I HATE crickets. Dead or alive!! I'm not afraid of them, I just don't like the fact that they jump and have sticky little legs and they are UGLY!!!

Then you would probably die if you knew that I used to keep crickets as pets? :p

moosmom
09-02-2008, 12:23 PM
I called the office this morning and they said there's not much they can do about them. They come in once a month and fumigate for roaches and stuff, so I can't imagine why the can't do something about crickets. I vacuumed under my stove. I hope it helps. I REAAAAAAALLY don't like them.

caseysmom
09-02-2008, 12:36 PM
They can get noisy too my husband had one ride in on a shoe one time and it kept us awake all night.

Medusa
09-02-2008, 01:06 PM
The noise will stop soon because if there are too many of them, the males start eating each other.

ramanth
09-03-2008, 05:14 PM
Get a gecko. ;)

Seriously, we have a few wild crickets that come out occasionally. We just leave em be and let the dogs and cats enjoy. :D