PDA

View Full Version : 9/11 Tributes

Sudilar
09-07-2002, 09:53 AM
The Wall (I know this is the VietNam Wall, but it could well be the list of those killed in terrorist attacks.)

http://www.rayallen.com/Gallery/pages/wall_jpg.htm

lovemymaltese
09-09-2002, 03:23 PM
Thanks for sharing. I am not sure that I am ready to relive that day on Wednesday. What a tragic day in American history.

NoahsMommy
09-10-2002, 01:13 PM
That's a really neat picture...very emotional.

Tomorrow should be interesting. I feel so badly for all the families that were directly imacted. :( :( :(

lovemymaltese
09-10-2002, 01:30 PM
I have recieved several emails to run your headlights all day and to wear either red white or blue tomorrow.

momoffuzzyfaces
09-10-2002, 02:24 PM
They have a smaller version of the Wall now that is portable. It came to our town 2 years ago. It is so moving to see. The name of one of the boys I went to school with was on it. It looks just like the original only not as big. It was a very emotional experience to see all the names. I hope they put the names of all who died on 9/11 on a memorial of some sort. They should never be forgotten. I will wear my flag pin tomorrow.

lovemymaltese
09-10-2002, 02:25 PM
me too! :)

NoahsMommy
09-10-2002, 03:27 PM
Me three! I am going to wear red, white and blue tomorrow too.

Sudilar
09-10-2002, 03:36 PM
I'll be flying my flag, wearing red white and blue and praying tomorrow.

Kfamr
09-10-2002, 03:48 PM
At my old school, every year they would have a "Wall of Remembrance" on Memorial Day to honor thoose that we lost while they were fighting for us. We get sheets to fill out puttin names of thoose in the war, and Mr. George, the Shop teacher, creates the wall hand printing each and every name. The day of the memorial, they sell carnations and after all of the speeches, the drill people and all, Whomever bought a carnation walks up there and puts it by a name they put up there. It's a very teary-eyed event. And last year there were many people from 9-11 honored on the wall, Even if they were still alive... we put them up there if they had any part to do with it.

Sudilar
09-10-2002, 03:59 PM
KayAnn, That is a wonderful tribute!! More schools should do that. How touching!!!

NoahsMommy
09-10-2002, 06:03 PM
I just got this in my email....

LIGHTS ON.....9/11

On Wednesday, September 11, 2002 everyone in the USA who
will be driving a motor vehicle is asked to drive with their headlights on during daylight hours. Though no explanation is needed as to why we are commemorating September 11, we hope more importantly to pay respect to the victims of that day, show our nation's solidarity and show support for our men and women of the Armed Forces.

REMEMBER!
LIGHTS ON.....9/11

Aspen and Misty
09-10-2002, 08:01 PM
I would love to wear red white and blue to school tomrrow! Unfortunitly I forgot to buy clothes that are red white and blue :rolleyes: and our dress code is so strict! Not fare! As soon as I get home I am changing! I haev a shirt that looks like a large american flag, and inside it says "May god save us all, God bless america!" Tomrrow will be a very moveing day for us all.

Ash

tatsxxx11
09-10-2002, 08:09 PM
I will be going home to NJ to participate in the Memorial Service at Ground Zero. We lost a family memeber on that day. And in my small north Jersey town of only 2,000, 33 children lost a parent. Please say a prayer for all of the lost, as well for all of the families that are still grieving their loss. This is tribute I posted a while back to our beloved Buff.

Some of you may remember I lost a family memeber on that day at the WTC. And I am SO proud to say that the amazing photo of the flag being raised was taken by a staff photographer from my hometown NJ newspaper,The Bergen Record. At the ceremony all of the names of the deceased will be recited by Mayor Gulliani. If you are listening or watching that day, his name is Martin Wohlforth. Here is his tribute as posted on a memorial website.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.newsday.com/media/photo/2001-10/952198.jpg

Martin P. Wohlforth. The managing director of the investment firm Sandler O'Neill was at work with dozens of co-workers on the 104th floor of the south tower when the first plane struck the north tower.
Wohlforth called his wife, Susan, president of the Junior League in Greenwich, saying Port Authority officials had advised south tower workers that their building was safe. Susan Wohlforth started home.

Twenty minutes later, after the second plane hit, Susan Wohlforth's secretary received a scratchy, faint phone call. Martin Wohlforth identified himself twice, and asked for Susan. Then the connection was lost.

Susan Wohlforth and the couple's 16-year-old daughter, Chloe, went to the disaster scene and showed his picture around, hoping for a bit of news. They heard nothing. At least 70 Sandler O'Neill employees have not been accounted for.

"He is truly an excellent, husband, father and neighbor,'' said Susan's sister, Cricket Burns. "He is so well loved.''

-- The Hartford Courant

Martin P. Wohlforth, 47,town resident 20 years

Martin Phillips Wohlforth, 47, a Greenwich resident for almost 20 years, died Tuesday, Sept. 11, at the World Trade Center in New York City.

Born Oct. 22, 1953, in New York City, he was the son of Robert and Mariann Wohlforth of Naples, Fla.

Mr. Wohlforth, known as "Buff" to family and friends, was a managing director at Sandler O'Neill & Partners on the 104th floor of tower two.
quote:
He was raised in Demarest, N.J., and attended Bergen Catholic High School. He graduated in 1976 from Princeton University and continued to be a supporter and active alumnus, along with his father, sister and father-in-law.

He was a member of The Stanwich Club, where he enjoyed his life-long passion for golf.

In addition to his parents, Mr. Wohlforth is survived by his wife, Susan Telesco Wohlforth, and daughter, Chloe Wohlforth, both of Greenwich; and two sisters, Priscilla Stumm, of Chestnut Hill, Mass., and Elizabeth Tatsuno, of Cincinnati, Ohio.

--The Greenwich Time

Pam
09-10-2002, 08:22 PM
Sandra what a wonderful tribute to Buff. I think that many of us feel we sort of got to know some of the people who were lost as a result of the stories their family members tell. I will be thinking of you tomorrow as you attend that service as well as all of the countless others who will also be pausing to remember their loved ones. I pray that tomorrow will be a safe day for everyone throughout the world.

Sudilar
09-10-2002, 08:44 PM
Sandra, my heart will be with you and all the others who lost family and friends on that infamous day. You will all be in my prayers.

kohala
09-11-2002, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by momoffuzzyfaces
They have a smaller version of the Wall now that is portable. It came to our town 2 years ago. It is so moving to see. The name of one of the boys I went to school with was on it. It looks just like the original only not as big. It was a very emotional experience to see all the names. I hope they put the names of all who died on 9/11 on a memorial of some sort. They should never be forgotten. I will wear my flag pin tomorrow.
Thirty years after a heavy firefight, where he lost most of his buddies, my husband finally went with me to see that version on a Memorial Day a few years ago. It was very cathartic, and he finally let go of some long time grief. He found names he didn't know about in the area that held his guys names. Post Traumatic Shock is a very real and long lived thing. People all over the country and the world will need similar help in getting past the 9/11 memories.

NoahsMommy
09-11-2002, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by tatsxxx11
I will be going home to NJ to participate in the Memorial Service at Ground Zero. We lost a family memeber on that day. And in my small north Jersey town of only 2,000, 33 children lost a parent. Please say a prayer for all of the lost, as well for all of the families that are still grieving their loss. This is tribute I posted a while back to our beloved Buff.

Some of you may remember I lost a family memeber on that day at the WTC. And I am SO proud to say that the amazing photo of the flag being raised was taken by a staff photographer from my hometown NJ newspaper,The Bergen Record. At the ceremony all of the names of the deceased will be recited by Mayor Gulliani. If you are listening or watching that day, his name is Martin Wohlforth. Here is his tribute as posted on a memorial website.

Sandra,
I never knew this, I'm so very sorry. I hope the cermony today help in the healing process. "Buff" sounded like a wonderful man.
Take care,
Kelly

sammi
09-11-2002, 11:38 AM
Sandra, will be thinking about you today and pray that your family is healing. I remember people talking about the walk across the bridge - that was very emotional.

Dixieland Dancer
09-11-2002, 12:41 PM
Sandra, We are having a special memorial sevice at our church tonight. I will keep Buff's family (including you) in our prayers. {{{{HUGS}}}}