PDA

View Full Version : Well, after 33 years of owning dogs...

AdoreMyDogs
08-31-2008, 10:04 AM
It finally happened..............Boone got skunked last night. The dogs spent their first ever night outside in the backyard last night because of it.

This happened as I got off my part time evening job at 2AM, as I let them out for their final night time potty. I got it all over me as I tried to venture outside to check for any skunk corpses in the yard. They didn't kill it but they chased it out of the yard and as it ran out, it sprayed them, Boone got most of it, Kersey was effected slightly.

3AM by the time I got to bed, couldn't sleep....so, so, so foul in the house. Everything stinks. My eyes hurt. My nose hurts. I keep coughing and holding back vomiting with each cough. I got up out of bed and went to Walmart and bought some shampoo and a bunch of tomato juice. In Walmart, away from home, I can tell I'm covered i skunk spray from the dogs rubbing on me. Got home and have been awake all night washing everything in the house and myself in tomato juice. About to go outside and give dogs first round of tomato juice bath. I don't know if I should bathe them in shampoo first and then soak 'em in tomato juice or vice versa. What else works? Anyone have tips? I haven't slept yet. I dont think I can sleep unless this smell starts to clear up. It's nausiating.

The house smells the same this morning. Absolutely no improvement.

Help :( :( :(

Daisy and Delilah
08-31-2008, 11:00 AM
That is terrible!!!!!:eek::eek::eek: I've never had this problem before but I wish you luck getting rid of that smell. I hope you get some sleep too!!:(

Taz_Zoee
08-31-2008, 12:48 PM
I copied this from a past thread because I couldn't remember the portions. But Zoee was skunked a couple years ago, right in her face. I did the tomato juice and this recipe several times, plus I tried other remedies. Honestly, the only thing to completely get rid of it is time. Zoee smelled like skunk every time she got wet for about 6 months.
But she is a long haired, double coated dog. If I recall Boone and Kersey are short haired. Just try this several times.

This odor remover is made from simple household ingredients:

* 1 quart of 3% hydrogen peroxide
* 1/4 cup of baking soda
* 1 teaspoon of liquid dish soap.

Do not store remaining solution in a closed container because it will explode.

Oh, also check their ears. Zoee had it in her ear and we had to clean out her ear real good too.

Good luck, and I'm sorry you didn't get any sleep. :(

lizbud
08-31-2008, 04:33 PM
Oh no.:( I wish I had some advice to offer, but it hasn't happened to us
as yet. I know there have been other threads about getting rid of skunk smell
but don't remember anything else specific.

Good luck with the cleaning & hope it works quickly.

MoonandBean
08-31-2008, 06:24 PM
When my Stryker (all white husky) got skunked, we tried the tomato juice bath at 11pm. It didn't work and he turned pink...LOL! We called him the "energizer husky" for 2 days. What did work was a professional bath at the vet! He came home whiter than ever and smelled perfect! Good Luck!

AdoreMyDogs
08-31-2008, 06:36 PM
Thanks everyone. Sofar Kersey smells good enough to be inside, but I don't want Boone to get lonesome outside by himself. He's just totally in love with Kersey (how could he not be, she's an angel), and being without her will be too stressful on him, so she's outside with him. He's really, really bad. We've done several tomato juice baths, shampoo baths, dishsoap baths, baking soda/peroxide/dishsoap baths and he's still so, so strong. I have to keep them outside tonight again :( I miss them so bad. They haven't come in the house all day and I miss them like crazy. I'm not sure how some people have outdoor dogs, just about all my neighbors here keep their dogs outside and it kills me to have them out another night.

I was able to take a 2 hour nap while Quinn napped, so at least I've slept some, but 2 hours isn't very much.

The spray got sucked into our air conditioners so the inside of the house is beyond foul. I'm not sure what we can do about it except spray off the AC unit with the hose, which we've done.

I appreciate the good ideas. I might take Boone in for a professional grooming at Petsmart if there is no improvement tomorrow. I miss my babies :(

I went to the butcher shop and bought a cow femur bone and had it cut in 3 pieces and that's keeping the dogs occupied and probablly taking their mind off being alone without their family. Have I mentioned I miss my babies? :( :(

AdoreMyDogs
08-31-2008, 06:42 PM
Here are a couple pics of them taken a few days ago, just for smiles.

Spiritwind
08-31-2008, 07:44 PM
The vet clinic I worked at most recently, we used this shampoo stuff called "Skunk Off" I think it what it was called... We had a shepherd mix come in once that had just gotten skunked and I worked on her for a couple hours atleast, maybe more....

First she got a bath with skunk off... and I follow the directions on the bottle.. afterwards still very strong skunk smell.. so finally I had to do another bath on her, I soaked her down with this shampoo head to toe used a whole bottle on a 45lb dog.... and then put her in a run in Iso (because she had the whole hospital smelling).. and let that shampoo soak on her for over an hour... then threw her back in the tub and hosed her off... I think by the time she was dry she was tollerable... but if she got just alittle wet for several months afterwards she smelled like a skunk again...

K9karen
08-31-2008, 09:28 PM
Although I've never seen a skunk here, I sure can smell them at night and first dawn. We have a lot of groundhogs and a trapper once said skunks are lazy and live in abandoned groundhog burrows.

Leslie, that's my biggest fear. I'd be freaking out to the point of a heart attack. Logan would have to be alone outside and that's never happened.

My first thought was Quinn. Is she OK? Will her next words be "P.U.Skunk?" :rolleyes::p:D

I hope Boone (and Kersey) are more sweet smelling by the day. Did you check at Petco or PetSmart? There's gotta be something out there that works, but on the web are the ingredients Taz mentioned.

Good Luck.

mr.chiwawa
09-01-2008, 12:07 AM
Belive it or not Tea Tree shampoo will work. You can use a small amount on the dog and water it down. A little will go a long way. It's a trick I learned while in beauty school. As for your Ac's take out the filters and use a diluted bleach sloution to get the smell out. Then rinse them in your sink. It worked for my neighbor and their black lab mix so I am sure it will work for you. Best of luck and I hope it all works.

Taz_Zoee
09-02-2008, 01:29 PM
When Zoee got skunked I didn't realize she got it until I had already let her in my brothers house. She began to rub her face on the carpet trying to get it off. So my brothers house smelled like skunk for a while. :o He shampooed his carpet about 10 times.
I got the smell under control enough that Zoee did not have to stay outside. She just wasn't allowed up on the big bed for several months. Even that morning (4am) that it happened I kept her in my nieces room with me to get a couple more hours of sleep.
I've smelled tons of skunks, dead on the road or the scent from far away. Nothing, and I mean nothing, is like the fresh smell of skunk. Zoee doesn't like baths, but she willingly hopped right in the tub that morning.

Then almost two years later we were driving and I hit a fresh skunk that was dead in the road. I turned back to look at Zoee in the back seat and she had this look on her face like - Oh no, not again. Or - I didn't do it!!! It was a very sad face. hee hee

Just keep bathing him. And remember the smell will always be there when he gets wet for several months to come.

pitc9
09-02-2008, 03:58 PM
Oh NO!!
I'm so sorry.

I hope something works soon to make the smell go away!

lizbud
09-02-2008, 04:27 PM
Has Boone lost his stinky smell ? I hope you've found something that
gets rid of the smell quickly so he can come inside again.:)

AdoreMyDogs
09-02-2008, 06:35 PM
Has Boone lost his stinky smell ? I hope you've found something that
gets rid of the smell quickly so he can come inside again.:)

Nope. He's absolutely horrendous. When he is in the house, he's confined to his kennel. The room that his kennel is in is just absolutely unbearable. He and Kersey slept indoors last night but Boone, of course, has to be in his kennel. He's outside all day and at night I let them in and he can sleep inside where it's cool and comfey. I have no idea when the smell will get better. Right now it's so disgusting I can't stand even touching him or having him in the same room as me.

We used a whole bottle of Skunk Remover made by Nature's Miracle I think. No improvement at all. Used a whole bottle of doggie shampoo and I added tea tree essential oil to it, no improvement. Used 1/3 bottle of dish soap, no improvement. Used baking soda/peroxide/dishsoap and no improvement.

I am at a loss as to what else to do.

lizbud
09-02-2008, 06:54 PM
Oh wow, poor Broone & poor you too.:( He must have gotten a really
good dose of spray.:( Does your Vet have any suggestions or does it just
take time & baths?

K9karen
09-02-2008, 09:03 PM
Do you have a State Forestry or Environmental Control Agency, or a Warden (not the prison kind-he already has enough skunks)?. I say that, as silly as it may sound, because when we had way too many destructive groundhogs in our entire neighborhood a few years ago. we called the SPCA who gave us the name of a retired Forrest Ranger, who knew everything there was to know about critters. It's worth a try.

I feel so bad for you, esp. being pregnant. Talk about morning sickness..how about all day sickness. Poor Boone. :(