PDA

View Full Version : Understanding the word "NO"

StarandBratsmom
08-30-2008, 09:42 AM
Good Day all. How is your Labor Day weekend going? Out of curiosity, do your kitty children understand what the word, "NO," means? I think mine do.

This morning, I left an empy bowl of cereal on my desk. Naturally while I am here checking emails and boards, she jumps in my lap for cuddles. She notices my empty nowl, it has very little milk left it. She reaches her head slowly towards it like she's sneaking and I won't notice. (only I notices cuz her kitty heads in the way of my typing.

"Star, that isn't yours. " I say this like I am talking to a real child. She does it anyways. "Star, NO." she quits and continues to cuddles.

Brat being 3/4 bobcat is very agressive when he plays. Last night I got him so friskie he had his fur hiked up on his back, and running all over the places batting at anything that moved. He noticed me walking by and all of a sudden out of no where he comes flying towards me at full speed. Grabs a hold of my leg like he's hugging me. I get him off of me and he goes after my hand, only he's agressive so it was hurting. I told him, "Nooo, Brat, you are being too rough." I guess the "No," word or the"rough" word, he always stops.

What do you do to get your kitty kids to behave?

catmandu
08-30-2008, 09:46 AM
OF COURSE NO MEANS YES, IF THE FOUND CATS LOOK SAD :eek::eek: ENOUGH TO MAKE THIER ELDERLY CAT MAN:eek: FEEL GUILTY ENOUGH.
IT WORKS EVERY TIME.:cool::cool:

StarandBratsmom
08-30-2008, 10:03 AM
LOLOL that's funny. The sad kitten look. It's pitiful but effective.

critter crazy
08-30-2008, 10:22 AM
There is a chance that they could understand the word no, but Personally I just think they understand the change of tone in your voice.

StarandBratsmom
08-30-2008, 04:03 PM
There is a chance that they could understand the word no, but Personally I just think they understand the change of tone in your voice.

You have a point there Maggie. Maybe it's the tone. I am not sure, Star responds to the word "treat," even if I whisper it. I am going to test this tone theory out.

Results:

Situation:

My boyfrined is sitting in the same room on his computer. I am on my computer. Star is dead asleep on the floor between us.

The Test:

I asked, "Honey have you heard about the treats lately?" in the most normal monotone voice, with no special pauses for any of the words. Star wakes up right away from her dead sleep as the response for the word, "treat."

As for the word, "No." Maybe the tone of my voice says not to do it. Who knows. As my boyfriend thinks, Star's spoiled, she doesn't ever hear the word no.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
09-07-2008, 01:29 PM
This thread hits home because I was just saying to CJ last night how I know he knows what I mean, but he keeps at it anyway!

Since we've been taking him on his outies several times a day lately, he thinks he should be out ALL the time. He will sit by the door and meow incessantly until 1) we take him out, 2) I can't stand it anymore and have to yell at him or 3) he finally gets the idea that us ignoring him means he won't be going out and he goes sulking off to the bedroom.

#2 is where the "NO!" comes in. I tried with all the explanations but finally realized he doesn't have a clue what I'm saying, so I started with just plain ol' "NO!" He completely ignores me so I say it again.....and the meowing continues. It's finally gotten to the point where "NO!" means nothing, but snapping my fingers or clapping my hands will make him at least close his mouth for a second and look at me....... :rolleyes:

I know he knows what I mean because he is not stupid, and, as a matter of fact, is too smart for his own good most times. :rolleyes:

RICHARD
09-07-2008, 01:43 PM
IT'S ALL THE PARENT'S FAULT-

EXAMPLE?

My cat's name is Edward D "No!" Katz.

Now,

When I switch his middle name with his first name,
"No! Edward" He doesn't listen.
or
"No!" On it's own, does not work!

I think it's a matter of being consistent.;)

momcat
09-07-2008, 01:46 PM
Since I've been owned by Groucho, I've come to believe that our kitties are very intelligent and understand more than we think they do. With my little guy a stern "no" works..... some of the time. After all, he is a cat!

heidiv
09-07-2008, 02:00 PM
It doesn't work at our house I think its parcially my fault from doing to much no!! as kittens. The only one out the bunch that understands it is Tuck he was one of those naughty little kittens that would push every button till you were nutz~ so now today he listens very well. As for the Meezer sisters I can't tell you how Tuck broke his parents down cause I can not look into the blue eyes of those two girls and say no......Chloe is constantly sitting by my side during dinner giving me that sweet Meezer face (cause she knows it works...) I always say in a soft soft voice No, No, Low, Low!!!! And she backs off a bit then at this point she backs off still enduringly looking into my eyes she slowly tries again.....And again I say "No, No Low,Low" And this continues for some time until I have had enough to eat and just give her a little try as I go to put my dishes away...... They ALWAYS win at my house;)

StarandBratsmom
09-07-2008, 05:00 PM
Well I though Star knew what, "NO" meant. She went after a frog this weekend and of course I got onto her. "NO!" I hollered. She didn't listen. I had to go and grab her, despite my insane fear of frogs and let the frog hop away. Star was so mad at me even until this morning. She forgave me though this afternoon.

kitten645
09-07-2008, 09:21 PM
Calvin thinks his name is CalvinNo. :rolleyes: He can be the naughtiest. However I do believe they understand words. I've tried saying the same words in different ways and generally get the same reaction. So far he understands:
treats (no explaination needed)
flippa flip (where he does a semi tumble and flips left and right on his back..pretty hilarious
lie down (he doesn't ALWAYS do this but usually relents)
What's that? ( as in there's a bird/squirrel on the patio. I can say it from the bedroom and he'll fly to the sliding glass doors to take a look)
Where's Hobbes? (he'll go to wherever his brother is. If he doesn't know he'll look for him)
Mousie (he'll go get a mouse from his toybox if he wants too:rolleyes:)

I think some understand more than others and some don't let on they know perfectly well what you are talking about! Isn't there that saying "If cats could talk, they wouldn't"!
Claudia

Medusa
09-08-2008, 07:53 AM
Oh my Fur Posse understand alright, they just don't care.

StarandBratsmom
09-08-2008, 08:29 AM
Oh my Fur Posse understand alright, they just don't care.

Do your cat ever start cleaning themselves when you get on to them?? Like nothing ever happened?

Randi
09-08-2008, 09:26 AM
I'm pretty sure Fister understands what NO means (I can tell from his expression), but he'll give it a try nontheless. :rolleyes:

He behaves very similar to CJ, he will sit by the door and miaw and miaw - this is always when it's about to get dark outside, and some of you know that that is a bad time to go out! So lately, I've taken the spray bottle out - THAT WORKS! He's gone even before I squeeze the handle.

If I'm patient and listen to him for about ten min. he'll usually give up and walk sulking back to the bedroom.

StarandBratsmom
09-08-2008, 09:56 AM
I'm pretty sure Fister understands what NO means (I can tell from his expression), but he'll give it a try nontheless. :rolleyes:

He behaves very similar to CJ, he will sit by the door and miaw and miaw - this is always when it's about to get dark outside, and some of you know that that is a bad time to go out! So lately, I've taken the spray bottle out - THAT WORKS! He's gone even before I squeeze the handle.

If I'm patient and listen to him for about ten min. he'll usually give up and walk sulking back to the bedroom.

That spray bottle is really effective. LOL. When Star was a kitten before she was really spoiled, I would say "SPRAY." and she'd stop what she was doing. It got to the point where I didn't even have to have the spray bottle near me, and I could just say, "Spray," Now I say it and she's like, "Whatever mom."

NoahsMommy
09-08-2008, 12:35 PM
All my cats know the words "NO" and "Gentle"...with the exception of Bratty...oh, I mean, Basie. Little BRAT will ignore my "NO, BASIL NATHANIAL (LAST NAME)!!!!!!!!!!!" no matter how loud or how fast I chase him, I think its a double game for him: #1 being naw-tee and #2 having me make super-funny noises and then chase him around. Ha Ha, really funny, Basie.

Otherwise, he's a complete LOVER BOY! Oh well, he's utterly worth it. ;)

I taught the kittens (Sampson {Sammy} - who went with David, Phoebe and the two other litter babies) "gentle" at five weeks when they would bite or scratch or try the 'oh so fun' running up the legs thingy.

RICHARD
09-08-2008, 02:35 PM
Do any one of you REALLY THINK you can override thousands of years of evolution with two letters?

Don't make me laugh!:p;)

lvpets2002
09-08-2008, 04:39 PM
:love: Well you know I have come to know that when we used to always think that just men had selective hearing.. Well I was wrong My Cats have men beat.. My babies have over powered the meaning of Selective Hearing..:D

Husky_mom
09-08-2008, 04:51 PM
Ok.. mayor LOL....

can you believe how many pets of us think their name is No... LOL

maybe it has something to do with acoustic and decibels... not sure :p

Maya & Inka's mommy
09-09-2008, 04:08 PM
Do they understand it? YES !!!
Do they listen??? Only if they decide to :rolleyes::D

CATS RULE :love:

catmandu
09-10-2008, 04:30 PM