PDA

View Full Version : Doggie Nosebleeds???!!!

Queen of Poop
08-29-2008, 09:26 PM
For the second time this summer Sasha had a nosebleed today. This one was very disconcerting. We went out for our morning walk as usual. Stopped to sniff a juniper bush, a light post and pee on another juniper bush. Then as we carried on I noted she was licking her face alot. I stopped her and took a look. Much to my total dismay her entire nose was covered in bright red blood. I hurried her back to the house and cleaned her up, the bleeding continued for about 15 minutes. The blood was clearly coming from her right nostril, not from any scratchy encounter with one of the kittens. To me this is very bizzare. At our last vet visit our vet noted that she has a growth in her nostril, on one side only. We need to go back for more pain meds next week so will watch her over the long weekend for any more bleeding, in the meantime thought I'd see if anyone here has had anything similar.

Thanks for checking us out and for your comments/advice.

Glacier
08-29-2008, 09:59 PM
Deuce gets nosebleeds fairly regulary, especially in the summer. He does have something wrong with his nose, but we've never been able to get a diagnosis. I think he's allergic to some kind of pollen that aggravates the problem in the warmer months. Never seems to bother him at all! He's still a big, happy doofus!

Sending prayers for your special ol' girl!

sparks19
08-29-2008, 10:19 PM
I don't have any advice but I hope it's nothing serious and your baby is good as new soon.

Tora Oni
08-29-2008, 10:53 PM
Well I know I had nosebleeds myself it worried my parents alot b/c that is one of the symptoms for brain cancer but inless your dog is suffering from other symptoms that would associate with brain cancer I wouldn't worry expecially if he suffers from allergies. I know that really isn't reasurring I'm sure since brain cancer isn't all that common.

Tora Oni
08-29-2008, 10:59 PM
For the second time this summer Sasha had a nosebleed today. This one was very disconcerting. We went out for our morning walk as usual. Stopped to sniff a juniper bush, a light post and pee on another juniper bush. Then as we carried on I noted she was licking her face alot. I stopped her and took a look. Much to my total dismay her entire nose was covered in bright red blood. I hurried her back to the house and cleaned her up, the bleeding continued for about 15 minutes. The blood was clearly coming from her right nostril, not from any scratchy encounter with one of the kittens. To me this is very bizzare. At our last vet visit our vet noted that she has a growth in her nostril, on one side only. We need to go back for more pain meds next week so will watch her over the long weekend for any more bleeding, in the meantime thought I'd see if anyone here has had anything similar.

Thanks for checking us out and for your comments/advice.

Its probably a lump that may need to be removed if this bleeding recurres more frequently or longer. It is probably just a small growth of fatty tissue my dog had them I think there is a name I can't remember but my vet removed one but he had more coming in new places we just worried that one b/c he would bite and scratch it to death and it wasn't in a easy place to get to. I know once we got rid of that one we never had another problem with that.

Queen of Poop
08-29-2008, 11:11 PM
Its probably a lump that may need to be removed if this bleeding recurres more frequently or longer. It is probably just a small growth of fatty tissue my dog had them I think there is a name I can't remember but my vet removed one but he had more coming in new places we just worried that one b/c he would bite and scratch it to death and it wasn't in a easy place to get to. I know once we got rid of that one we never had another problem with that.

At 14 years of age our vet and I have decided that surgery is NOT an option for my dear Miss Sasha. Regardless of whether it's sedation for a biopsy or actual surgery, she's just too old to recover from anything so invasive. But make no mistake, I'd lay down my life for this dog and do anything at any expense to keep her with me.

Catty1
08-29-2008, 11:20 PM
Gayle, could they use a local anesthetic (a spray, maybe) and 'freeze' it out (or make it smaller) with a type of cryogenic probe? Is it reachable by any of those methods?

There is electric, laser and chemical cauterization (the chemical is silver nitrate, and seems to be the least favoured). Can't hurt to ask.

HUGS and I hope Sasha gets better soon. Hugs to your kitties also!

Queen of Poop
08-29-2008, 11:30 PM
Gayle, could they use a local anesthetic (a spray, maybe) and 'freeze' it out (or make it smaller) with a type of cryogenic probe? Is it reachable by any of those methods?

There is electric, laser and chemical cauterization (the chemical is silver nitrate, and seems to be the least favoured). Can't hurt to ask.

HUGS and I hope Sasha gets better soon. Hugs to your kitties also!

My vet has been mine for over 15 years between RB dog Sami and current Miss Sasha. His only option is total sedation for the biopsy and subsequent removal of the nasal abnormality. I trust him completely. And he agrees with my stance, she is too old to recover and too anxious to do anything but complete sedation.

Gave Sasha and the BAD kittens a hug from you, they got into the dog treats while I was out today, so BAD kittens. Just eat your raw rabbit/salmon food!!!

boomersooner
08-30-2008, 09:32 AM
I was very apprehensive last May when my 14 year old dalmatian, Cassie, had to have an infected cyst removed from the side of her jowel. We thought it was a fatty tumor all that time until it burst. She felt so much better when we got it out. I totally understand where you are coming from about putting her under. Cassie did great, but I was very worried. You have to do what you think best for Sasha. Hope she feels better soon.

Tora Oni
08-30-2008, 11:38 AM
At 14 years of age our vet and I have decided that surgery is NOT an option for my dear Miss Sasha. Regardless of whether it's sedation for a biopsy or actual surgery, she's just too old to recover from anything so invasive. But make no mistake, I'd lay down my life for this dog and do anything at any expense to keep her with me.
Wow 14 yeah our dog was 12/13 ish when he passed away this last Feb. His whole hip went out and he walked like something in his head just kinda seemed to have broke down It almost seem more like he lost control of his back legs more than a hip going out. They way he held his head tilted to one side when he tried to walk. For three days due to the bad wheather he used a sheet under his hips to hull him out side since he could walk with his front half just not his back wouldn't support the weight. It didn't seem to hurt him by using a sheet to pull his hips up. I miss him, more than I ever thought I would, I try not to think about seeing him on his last days because that usually makes me cry. I suppose I understand what you mean because whenever I started to see Clifford starting to age and getting small problems I worried that maybe this was going to get worse or think about how will he go? Not happy thoughts but I was concerned because the last two years he couldn't go on long walks and the last year we had him he made it the nex block and then we turn back rather go all around and have him heaving and tired out. The noosebleeds don't seem to be interupting her life and what she does on an normal basis, so I don't think it something you should worry about, just keep an eye out for it I think its just a sign of aging. My cats allergies are getting worse and I will be taking him to the vet next week to get him checked out and hopefully on some meds to clear his head, he can't pur with all that gunk cloging his nosetrils up. My cat sometimes sneezes and blood comes out with the snot if its strong but I know its all allergies and he just suffers with what most people with allergies do.

lizbud
08-30-2008, 04:37 PM
I hope Sasha feels better soon. What does the Vet say is the treatment
he would advise? Bleeding from the nose would worry me too.:(

Queen of Poop
08-30-2008, 09:34 PM
Well, no nosebleeds today, thank goodness. But it's not been a great day. Sasha started off looking like she just wanted to be done with living. She came around by noon though, but then the runny poop started and continues, could be a long night. She's also been doing ALOT of falling on our walkies today. The walk after supper she fell 3 times on her left shoulder, the last fall hurt as she came up limping. I gave her a bit of a pause and a massage and the limping stopped so we made our way home without me carrying her. She's napping on the floor beside me now after a recent outing for a pee. Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day for her.

K9karen
08-30-2008, 09:58 PM
Aw..poor sweet Sasha. It's so hard to watch our beloved seniors suffer. it's heartbreaking.

Do you think she may have suffered a slight stroke? We think my RB Cody may have had one at one time. His symptoms were a little different and he was OK the next day, so I'm hoping Sasha feels better soon. I don't know diddily about jupiter bushes, but since she came in contact with them, maybe she ahd an allergic reaction. Please give her oodles of hugs and kisses for me.

Queen of Poop
08-31-2008, 08:25 PM
Aw..poor sweet Sasha. It's so hard to watch our beloved seniors suffer. it's heartbreaking.

Do you think she may have suffered a slight stroke? We think my RB Cody may have had one at one time. His symptoms were a little different and he was OK the next day, so I'm hoping Sasha feels better soon. I don't know diddily about jupiter bushes, but since she came in contact with them, maybe she ahd an allergic reaction. Please give her oodles of hugs and kisses for me.

I was up with her most of the night and slept on the couch beside her so I could let her out as needed. It's been so damn dry here I'm hoping the nosebleed is because of the dryness. Although it's been cold and raining today. She's being fussy with her food today too. It's got to suck being as old as she is.

K9karen
08-31-2008, 09:32 PM
If it makes you feel any better, I've had a few nosebleeds this summer. I agree, the dryness is awful. Can you use an over the counter nasal saline solution?

Sasha must be frustrated too.. like what the he$$ is going on?
Poor baby. :(:(

pitc9
09-02-2008, 04:03 PM
Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear about her nosebleeds.

I hope she's feeling better soon!