PDA

View Full Version : I cannot believe this.

Miss Z
08-29-2008, 11:18 AM
You know I had such good news with my GCSE results not so long ago?

Now I have some very bad news to share. I just cannot believe I didn't stay long enough on results day to see him and say hi. It's just not something that ever crosses your mind.

I was in a form with Alex for three years, and was in many classes with him at school.

He had so much life ahead of him; he did so well at his GCSEs and was going to study languages and English.

It just totally hasn't sunk in.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/3629896.Blackburn_teenager__16__dies_after_collaps ing_in_street/

Blackburn teenager, 16, dies after collapsing in street

A TEENAGER has died after collapsing in the street from a heart attack the day after he received outstanding GCSE results.

Alex Raynes, 16, of Brandy House Brow, Blackburn, collapsed on his way to catch a train home from a violin lesson in Clitheroe with brother Tim, 17.

Paramedics took him to the Royal Blackburn Hospital, but the heart attack had starved his brain of oxygen and he never regained consciousness.
Alex died on Monday with his family around him, and made a final gift by donating his kidneys and eyes for transplants across the UK.

Last Thursday he had collected seven A* and three A exam grade.
Alex was born with a congenital heart defect and had undergone dozens of operations since birth.

His father Andrew, vicar at Christ Church, Brandy House Brow, said the family’s faith in God was helping them come to terms with their loss.

Mr Raynes said: “We had always known that Alex’s condition could cut his life short, but it was always put to the backs of our minds because he was so energetic and full of life and he had been doing so well over the past few years. We never imagined he would be taken from us so quickly.

“I’m just grateful that he was able to go out on a high, having just had us all telling him how proud we were of his exam success, and looking forward to a new chapter in his life.”

Alex’s mother Chantal added: “We are realising now that God had a plan for Alex, and because of that faith we don’t talk about him in the past tense.
"We believe he is now in the presence of Jesus Christ.

“We are broken-hearted, but we have been overwhelmed by the support and love we have received from the people of Blackburn and beyond.

“I’m glad he was able to donate his organs. He had already talked to us about it and had carried a donor card for a long time. He knew that one day he might need a heart.”

His brother Tim thanked shoppers in Clitheroe who had stopped to help Alex when he collapsed on Friday. He said: “People ran to help and the paramedics knew exactly what to do. They gave him every chance.

“Alex was always happy and always joking. He was a great brother.”

Mr Raynes said: “One of his friends said to me that he was determined and motivated, but in a very laid-back way, and that’s a good description.

"He knew what he wanted and worked hard for those things despite his condition, but he never let it seem like he was making a big effort.”

“He had a great way with children and had just started leading the youth group at the church.

"The younger ones really appreciated the time he was willing to spend with them.

“I was looking at his Bible study notes yesterday and alongside the question ‘How much do you think God is in control of your life?’, he had written ‘fully’. That’s what Alex believed.”

Alex, a pupil at Feniscowles Primary School, then Queen Elizabeth’s Grammar School, had been looking forward to beginning his A-levels, and had just been given a special blood monitor to help him manage his condition without constant trips to the hospital.

The keen musician, who played drums in the Christ Church music group as well as piano and violin, was set to further his love of languages with A-level courses in Spanish, French, English and geography.

He had spent much of the summer watching Lancashire Cricket Club with friends, and had eagerly awaited the start of the football season, supporting Derby County.

Friends from school and church have been invited to join the family at Alex’s funeral on Thursday at 2pm at Blackburn Cathedral, and a book of condolence has been opened at QEGS, where he played the lead role in the school’s summer production of BIlly Liar.

Director of development at the school Phil Lloyd said: “Alex was an extremely popular young man and the school community is deeply shocked at the news of his death.

“Our thoughts are with his family at this time.”

Mrs Raynes said she wanted to thanks everyone for their ’brilliant’ support. She said: “I want to thank the Royal Blackburn Hospital as well, for all the help and support they gave Alex all the way through.”

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/resources/images/628938/?type=display

-------------

Please keep his family in your thoughts.

gemini9961
08-29-2008, 11:21 AM
I'm so sorry Zara. He was so young. :(

Karen
08-29-2008, 11:23 AM
Oh, Zara, how sad. I know you two were friends, that's what matters most, not whether you said hello that day.

My friend's brother was also born with a congenital heart defect, but died on our school playground in third grade at recess. Even when you know someone has a bad heart, it doesn;t make it seem any less sad and heartbreaking. I am glad he was there as a friend for you through school, and that he decided to be an organ donor so that his life will continue to be a gift to others.

Sending you big hugs, you'll be in our prayers.

Whisk_Luva
08-29-2008, 11:25 AM
That is so sad :(

I hope his family get through it ok... good thoughts for them...

And ((hugs)) to you Zara

Catty1
08-29-2008, 11:29 AM
What a handsome and sweet looking young man.

Zara, he likely thought that he would be around to say "Hi' to many people for days to come. Who knew? You were a wonderful friend, one who would regret what you missed that day.

HUGS to you, and you are there for his family. Today, wherever he is, he is happy and free - and looking down at all the love shown for him and his family. I believe he is joyful and at peace.

...and your heart is broken...{{{{hugs}}}} and prayers to you. :love:

Miss Z
08-29-2008, 11:31 AM
Karen, how sad about your friend's brother. :(

He was always so upbeat and a real comedian. Everyone at school knew he had a heart problem and that he had regular check-ups, but no-one ever really gave it a second thought when they saw him.

I never knew he had such a profound Christian faith until now, nor that he carried an organ donor card.

He's done something beautiful by donating his kidneys and eyes, but it does make me sad to think of those striking eyes on someone else.

My school also put up a report on their website.

http://www.qegs.blackburn.sch.uk/news-events/current-news_item.php?id=676

kimlovescats
08-29-2008, 11:41 AM
How very sad! What a fine young man he was! :(

Taz_Zoee
08-29-2008, 12:05 PM
He was a very handsome young man. And those beautiful eyes will give another person the gift of sight.
I am so sorry for your loss of a friend, Zara. Please do not feel bad that you didn't talk to him that last time. No one knew what was to come. Be happy that you had the chance to know him.

Medusa
08-29-2008, 12:13 PM
Don't be hard on yourself because you didn't greet him that day. He knows that you were his friend and that you loved him. Peace to you and his family.

RockyRoad
08-29-2008, 12:36 PM
This is so sad to read. I obviously didn`t know him, but from what I read in your post I can see that the world has lost a wonderful, selfless person, and God has gained one. I`m glad he donated his organs to help others even after his time had come. Prayers are on the way to his family, to you, and for all those who knew him.

Donnaj4962
08-29-2008, 01:15 PM
How very sad for this young man and his family and friends. He was very handsome, and I am sure that he will always look down from Heaven and keep a close eye on his loved ones.

The faith of his family must be phenomenal. And that is truly what will help them get through this tragedy.

moosmom
08-29-2008, 01:31 PM
Oh Zara,

I am so so sorry for your loss. To die that young is just incomprehensible. Please accept my sincere condolences and relay the same to his family. :(

Love:love: and hugs,

Donna

Cataholic
08-29-2008, 04:05 PM
How very sad and tragic. What a wonderful young man he was, selfless to the very end.

AdoreMyDogs
08-29-2008, 04:30 PM
How tragic :( He was such a handsome young man, and had such a kind face. What a short life he lived, but it sounds like it was a full life. His family and friends are in my prayers. I can't imagine how devistating this must be to his parents. How very sad :(

jennielynn1970
08-29-2008, 06:14 PM
Oh Zara, I'm so sorry to read this. It's so sad that he has passed away at such a young age. It sounds as though he was living life to the fullest, and being the best person he could be. Cindy is right though, those stunning eyes will be giving another person the chance to see this world. He will live on, giving the gift of sight to someone else.

Hugs to you, Zara.

chocolatepuppy
08-29-2008, 08:47 PM
How sad.:( I'm sorry Zara.

carole
08-29-2008, 11:48 PM
How incredibly sad and tragic for all concerned, he was indeed a very handsome lad, i am so sorry you and his family have to go through this, please accept my sincere condolences at this very sad time in your Live's.

Sevaede
08-30-2008, 11:54 AM
Oh no Zara.. :( ***HUGS*** I am so, so sorry. :(

Miss Z
08-30-2008, 12:00 PM
Thanks everyone.

I've been contemplating what to put in the memorial book. I know of plenty of things I could say, but how to express them in the best way possible in this situation is pretty hard. I just hope it comes to me when I put pen to paper.

Catty1
08-30-2008, 12:36 PM
It will, luv. It will.

Alysser
08-30-2008, 08:12 PM
Zara, I am sorry to hear this happened :( I can only imagine his family's suffering. (((hugs))) :(