PDA

View Full Version : Apple Laptop

Edwina's Secretary
08-29-2008, 10:43 AM
I just purchased an Apple Laptop. Great machine so far (I am still sorting things out) but it has one downfall.

I cannot sign into PetTalk on it. I enter my user name and password...it goes to the screen and welcomes me as Edwina's Secretary.

And I am NOT on as a registered user.

Anyone else had this and know how to fix it?

sasvermont
08-29-2008, 01:24 PM
I think you need to re-register to get a new cookie.:confused:

Karen
08-29-2008, 01:27 PM
No, you don't need to re-register. When you log in, make sure you check the little box that says "remember me" so Pet Talk gives you a cookie and can tell you are you!

sasvermont
08-29-2008, 01:39 PM
So sorry.:rolleyes:

Edwina's Secretary
08-29-2008, 02:18 PM
Karen....I CANNOT log in! (On my Apple Laptop)

I enter my user name and my password. It says..."Welcome Edwina's Secretary." (You know that big blue screen.)

...and then I am NOT logged in.

I do it over and over. Nothing.

Karen
08-29-2008, 04:27 PM
Do you have the "remember me" box checked? If you are using Safari, you should check under "Preferences" and change the "cookies" setting - it may be on "never" but should be on "only on sites I navigate to" - that should do it!

Queen of Poop
08-29-2008, 09:19 PM
I've been using my MacBook here for over a year now and I've never encountered the issues you're reporting. Try Karen's suggestion.

Hellow
08-29-2008, 09:22 PM
Make sure you are using Firefox instead of Safari, Firefox is more secure and is assured by me to work with PT :).

Karen
08-29-2008, 09:32 PM
I use Safari almost exclusively, Reggie, and have no problems with Pet Talk.

Queen of Poop
08-29-2008, 09:33 PM
I too use safari, exclusively, works awesome for me.

Grace
08-29-2008, 09:35 PM
I don't have a laptop, but we both have Macs. I use both Safari and Firefox and never have any trouble signing in.

One suggestion - clear the cache and delete cookies. Then try again.

Randi
08-30-2008, 06:17 AM
I have a Mac desktop and use both Safari and Firefox. The only problem I've had, is because I need to update Safari, but I'm pretty sure Edwina's Secretary has a newer version, so it may be a good idea to try what Karen suggested.

Good Luck Sara! :)

Hellow
08-30-2008, 09:39 AM
Well, still, in my opinion, Firefox is better than Safari in the area of security and reliability, and I know for a absolute fact that it works with Pet Talk, because I am basically forced to use either Firefox, Opera, or Seamonkey under Linux (I use firefox 9/10 of the time, Seamonkey is based on the Mozilla Engine).

Edwina's Secretary
08-30-2008, 11:28 AM
Okay...I cleared my cookies (even though it is a brand new machine), checked under preferences and the cookie preference is set to "only sites I navigate to" and I checked the "remember me" box.

Then I entered my user name and my password.

Up came the screen welcoming Edwina's Secretary. If your browers, etc.

And I was............................NOT signed in.

I give up!

Karen
08-30-2008, 12:26 PM
And you are using Safari?

Hellow
08-30-2008, 12:30 PM
Heck, try downloading and signing in with Opera (http://www.opera.com/download/index.dml?platform=mac).

Edwina's Secretary
08-30-2008, 01:24 PM
And you are using Safari?

Yes.

Randi
08-30-2008, 01:41 PM
Sara, under Prefences, do you have your settings like this?

Have you emptied your cache? You do that under the Safari menu.

To get a picture of your window, you go Cmd+Shift+4. You will then get a pdf. Save it on your desktop, and you can attach it here for all of us to see what's wrong. ;)

Edwina's Secretary
08-30-2008, 06:10 PM
I can get into my webmail (both my personal one and one I have through a client) by entering my user id and password. I can get to my bank accounts. I can get to everything except PetTalk????:confused::confused::confused:

What I think is significant is that it welcomes by my user name but then returns to the page with the sign in.

Hellow
08-30-2008, 06:16 PM
I can get into my webmail (both my personal one and one I have through a client) by entering my user id and password. I can get to my bank accounts. I can get to everything except PetTalk????:confused::confused::confused:

What I think is significant is that it welcomes by my user name but then returns to the page with the sign in.

Have you tried Firefox on that computer yet? Safari is not exactly the best browser in the world, it has more bugs than my area during summer :).

jennielynn1970
09-01-2008, 09:12 PM
The only time I've ever encountered that was when it popped up in a new tab, and I went back to the previous tab. Do you have it set so that it welcomes you on the same tab, and not a new one?

I can't think of anything else you should have to do for a Mac. Do you have anything set in preferences for how long your browser should remember where you have been? Not sure if that is an issue? I use Firefox exclusively, but that shouldn't be an issue with what you use, just preferences.

What kind of laptop from Apple did you get?! I have a MacBook.

caseysmom
09-04-2008, 01:00 PM
Maybe your banned:D

Edwina's Secretary
09-04-2008, 10:38 PM
Maybe your banned:D

I thought of that possibility...but why only on my Mac???:rolleyes::D

Karen
09-04-2008, 11:40 PM
Nah, you're not banned! Goodness, my machine is an Apple machine, and I log on using our Mac laptop sometimes ... you've cleared the cookies, hmm, the only I can think of is using the "reset Safari" command, try that.

Lady's Human
09-04-2008, 11:52 PM
I thought of that possibility...but why only on my Mac???

It's all a massive, PT based, right wing conspiracy!:p

Karen
09-05-2008, 12:00 AM
It's all a massive, PT based, right wing conspiracy!:p

Hey, hey, as Opus once said, flapping one penguin wing, then the other - "Right wing? Left wing? Don't see much difference, and no matter what I do, neither one is making me fly ..."

Flap 'em if you've got 'em! ;)

Seriously, though, Sara, if resetting Safari doesn't work, I'd either call Apple and complain bitterly (if you have time to spare), or switch browsers.

Randi
09-05-2008, 05:47 AM
Sara, which Safari version do you have? I can't log on to Photobucket from my Safari, but I can from Firefox. That is only because my Safari is an older version, though. Yours is probably new. Which system do you have on it? Tiger? Or even Leopard?

Edwina's Secretary
10-31-2008, 07:32 PM
I was on my laptop this week as I was traveling and...still cannot log on to PetTalk!

I have tried all the suggestions.

Does anyone else have a new MacBook?

If so, are you able to log into PetTalk on it?

jennielynn1970
10-31-2008, 08:26 PM
You know, if you really end up not being able to use PT on your laptop, which would be a travesty, you can always just send it my way, lol!!

My MacBook is about 1 1/2yrs old. Too bad you don't live close by, otherwise I'd take a look at it for you. More than likely it's something terribly easy to fix, but just not obvious. That always happens.

Edwina's Secretary
11-01-2008, 09:43 AM
Too bad you don't live close by, otherwise I'd take a look at it for you.

I was in Pennsylvania this week. Isn't that where you are? I should have stopped by! ;):D

jennielynn1970
11-01-2008, 12:09 PM
Well, you are just a mover and a shaker, aren't you?! What in the world were you in PA for, and where??

Edwina's Secretary
11-01-2008, 02:18 PM
Well, you are just a mover and a shaker, aren't you?! What in the world were you in PA for, and where??

To hear Ms. Palin speak? Just kidding. :D I was lecturing at Penn State.

jennielynn1970
11-01-2008, 03:09 PM
Dang. You lecture?? What was the subject? Did you go to any of our legendary diners, lol. My 1st roommate called PA the "Land of the Lardasses". Describes the PA Dutch community pretty well.

Ohhh... main campus has that great diner that serves the "Fried Stickies"... yummmmmm!!!

Edwina's Secretary
11-01-2008, 03:29 PM
What was the subject? Did you go to any of our legendary diners, lol.

A fascinating subject...:rolleyes::D;) Application of the Fair Labor Standards Act with a special emphasis on the changes to Section 541. Betcha wish you had been there! :D;)

I was looking for a type of salad I had before in PA...with steak and something I don't remember. How specific! Didn't find it.

jennielynn1970
11-01-2008, 03:50 PM
A salad with steak in it? Hm. We do salads with many strange things in them. If you can remember any other ingredients, let me know, and I'll look it up!

You didn't get any fried stickies?! You missed out!

Oh, and no offense, but that subject sounds about as fun as sticking a steak knife in my eye.

blue
11-13-2008, 12:39 AM
Im trying out the latest download of Safari on both my PCs and it actually seems faster and at least as smooth as Opera. As a bonus the spell check actually works.

jennielynn1970
11-13-2008, 06:55 AM
Im trying out the latest download of Safari on both my PCs and it actually seems faster and at least as smooth as Opera. As a bonus the spell check actually works.

I'm a Firefox fan myself. I had used Safari for a long time, but switched over about 2 years ago. I don't use Thunderbird for my mail, however. I still use the mail program that I've used forever. Although maybe I should check out Thunderbird again. I only use the Mail program for my work/school email, and use Yahoo/Verizon for my personal email. Just makes it easier that way I guess.