PDA

View Full Version : I'm shocked by what my friend said to me...

moosmom
08-27-2008, 03:08 PM
I was on the phone to my BFF "Dr.Bob" (he's a mortician not a real doctor, just a nickname I came up with) about how I hate my life right now and how I feel SOOOOOO taken advantage of by Paula. I told him how I'm flat broke till tomorrow when I get my BB&B check. I have no food in my house so I had to put WW aside for the time being. I also vented about Buddy's problem and said my check will be paying for the vet bill.

He said, "Listen to yourself. You have no food for yourself but your cats don't go hungry. It's time to do some soul searching and find homes for some of your cats." "I started to ball my eyes out and tell him hypothetically he has 5 kids how could HE choose which one stays and which ones go???" He said, "Donna, they are NOT kids, they are pets. Surely you can find a home for a couple to get your cat pop down."

I know he means well and I've known him for over 35 years. He is never one to mince words and deep in my heart, I know he's right.

Okay, so who stays and who goes??? Mollie Rose (16) and Maya Linn are bonded and so are MooShoo and Shortie. Ari I am in love with, after he's been through so much.

Taz_Zoee
08-27-2008, 03:33 PM
OMG, are you actually considering it? :(
I don't even know you that well and I'd NEVER say that to you or anyone else here on PT. But that just may be because I'm too nice sometimes. :rolleyes::)
That would be devasting if you had to rehome any of them. I think you just need to find a solution for Buddy (and I know you already know that). Whether it's taking him to the no-kill shelter you mentioned before, or finding him a home.
I'm sorry you are having a rough time right now. But it will get better (and a little positive thinking helps too:p).

caseysmom
08-27-2008, 04:17 PM
The cats aren't the problem its the people taking advantage of your good heart, I think maybe not adding to your population would be better advice.

sasvermont
08-27-2008, 04:24 PM
Donna, you need to practice the words "I really cannot take in any more cats for the time being"..... "as I am at my limit"..... I know that there are millions of cats out there needing homes. Everyone knows their limit. You can see how different folks here, have numbers all over the place, from zero to ????? many, many. I know my limit. And I'm sticking to it.

I would like to ring the necks of all those folks who do not responsibly take care to spay and neuter their pets. Really. If these idiots would just wise up.....we wouldn't have this problem.

Take care of Donna first, then the fur kids.

Love,
SAS

moosmom
08-27-2008, 06:49 PM
I've decided that no one is going anywhere (Thanks Taz Zoe). I've had every single one of my furbabies since they were kittens. They're bonded to each other. It broke my heart when I rehomed Carly the Curly Girl while in Michigan.

The problem IS baby. I didn't have this kind of stress or peeing problem till this opportunistic 6itch took advantage of me. She KNEW damn well she wasn't going to him back. I have no idea where she is. She will NOT return my calls.

I got in touch with the Westport Humane Society and they will probably have a spot for him by the end of this week or next.

I feel like I've aged 10 years in the last 2 months. *sigh*

Sallyanne,

I have a new sign on my fridge. It's a cat with a circle and line through it. It says it all!!

Taz_Zoee
08-27-2008, 09:22 PM
Whew! I didn't think you'd let any of them go. You scared me for a second. :p

Well, I hope you can get the Baby/Buddy thing worked out and things can settle down and be back to normal for you. :)

K9karen
08-27-2008, 11:18 PM
Donna, I know when I'm stressed out and worried (more often than not), I take people's opinions more sensitively. I agree though, how could you possibly chose who stays, who goes. Obviously, Dr Bob doesn't have pets.

Just stick to your decision not to open your home right now.
Believe me, I want another dog so badly. But with my finances and health, it wouldn't be fair to anyone. I'm lucky Mz Logan is relatively healthy. It is what it is. It's all good.

Chin up girlfriend. I think I see a rainbow shaping up.

:love:

Catty1
08-27-2008, 11:27 PM
(psst...offer Dr. Bob a kitty! Like, the next one that falls into your life! ;) )

RICHARD
08-28-2008, 03:12 AM
There is the great slogan from the Harley Davidson t-shirts - it's about why people ride a HD......If I have to explain it to you, you would not understand.

There are people, as well meaning as they are, that will tell you to so something that they see has an easy solution to a problem.

You put aside your own comfort for your pets.

He might not understand..

My jerkwad ex-friend was the same way when I told him I took a cat in.
He didn't understand so I didn't bother.

Next time stock up on mac and cheese, Ramen and some crackers.

The most nourishment come from animals- pets feed the soul.;)

davidpizzica
08-28-2008, 06:55 AM
Sweetheart, you made the only decision that you could make. Knowing your bunch like I do, I don't think any one one of them could adjust to a sudden new home.(I know Mollie Rose would be devastated.) Dr. Bob talks like he wants you to get rid of some furniture, not living things with emotions. I know you can take care of Buddy's problem, too. Big {{{{HUGS}}}} to you and your beautiful cat family!

Medusa
08-28-2008, 03:43 PM
Donna, everyone who knows me also knows one of my beliefs is "People first". Take care of Donna. You know that if you were to rehome any of your furkids, you would feel even worse. However, you've chosen the wise course of action of not taking in any more, at least for a while. Life changes and we have to change w/it, so right now it isn't feasible to take in any more cats but later on circumstances could and most likely will change for the better and you may be able to help other cats then. As Richard said "Pets feed the soul". Tonight, at the end of your busy day, take a few minutes to take inventory ie. count your blessings. When I was having the worst financial struggles of my life, I had to get back to basics and tell myself "You're warm and dry, you're fed, you have a place to lay your head. Your cats are safe and so are you. Life is good." A special candle will burn tonight for our dear friend Donna. :)

carole
08-28-2008, 04:59 PM
Donna I have tears in my eyes reading your post, i really feel for you so much,you have a heart of gold and that is where you're problem lies, but DON'T you ever go changing that, because that is what makes you the very special person that you are, a person i genuinely love and care about.

I am sure your'e friend mean't well and was not being horrible, but he really does not understand the magnitude of what he is saying does he?

How could you possibly make that choice, and i know you are just feeling very overwhelmed by everything right now, and that is when we sometimes make hasty decisions we later regret, i know you will not be doing that.

I can only wish things improve for you and that the light at the end of the tunnel shines through on you as brightly as it can.

Take care my friend and remember we are all here for you,HUGS.:love::love::love::love:

moosmom
08-28-2008, 09:33 PM
There is no way any of my cats are going anywhere. They've been with me through my moves, my hospitalization, the death of my Dad, you name it. I was pretty emotional on the phone to him and he IS right in a way. He's really a no-nonsense kind of person and is very open and honest with me. That's why we've been friends for so long.

But I got my paycheck today and was able to buy food for me and my furbabies, as well as treats and litter.

Marigold2
08-28-2008, 09:58 PM
It's hard for many to imagine the love, support, friendship and joy our fur children bring. When I have a rough time during the day I often think of Benny's face and it makes me smile. I cannot put into words the joy a bunny brings.
I truly hope that the days to come bring you some relief in your finanical worries. Times are very tough and have been for years now.
Is it possible for you to take on a second job even for a few months? Perhaps something like babysitting (which I did for years) or petsitting might bring in some extra cash.
I wish you much peace and joy.

Miss Z
08-29-2008, 11:07 AM
Whew, I'm so glad you're not rehoming your babies! If anyone says something like this to me...

He said, "Donna, they are NOT kids, they are pets.

...my brain just switches off to whatever they're saying from that point. ;)

I'm so sorry times are rough, Donna, but I just know that someone like you can get through it. :love:

Thinking of you *hugs*