PDA

View Full Version : A couple questions...

slleipnir
08-26-2008, 07:25 PM
A couple questions...

My mom's new dog Riley is doing pretty well. He's a really great dog, and really well behaved...well, besides his digging. He digs up my mom's garden and she's a little frustrated with it as she put a lot of money into her garden (she really loves it...?) Anyway, I told her he doesn't know any better right now and she'll have to work on him some. Is there something dogs don't like that can be put in the garden to keep him out? What about a "sandbox" of some sort that is his so he can dig all he wants in it...Do you think that might help? I understand that some dogs just like to dig...so I guess this way he could still dig without causing trouble?

Also, he has had diarrhea...I believe pretty much since he has come home. Any idea what is best to help with that? he barely eats his food. He will eat it if you mix a little hamburger in with it (but he had the diarrhea before that) It makes it really hard to clean up from the yard and I imagine it's not so comfortable for him either...

I'm taking care of him for a few days while my mom is away. He's a great dog :) I'll post more pictures of him later on.

shais_mom
08-26-2008, 07:34 PM
could be he's bored?
Has he had a complete physical yet?
take lots of pics! :D

Freedom
08-26-2008, 07:44 PM
shais mom has a good point. Any time you adopt / acquire a new pet, the first thing is a mandatory vet physical.

Hamburger with rice, and or canned pumpkin should help with the diarrhea. Make sure you get canned pumpkin, NOT pumpkin pie filling, which has spices and other things in it. I've used it with success. Pumpkin is used for both diarrhea and constipation!

Yes, some dogs ARE diggers. You can buy repellant I think PetCo carries it, and put that on the garden. I know someone with a bichon who digs, and she did as you pondered, put in a sand box area. Took 3 days to train (but bichons are smart ;)). I'll post photos so you can see, she has it blend right in with her yard! If I recall, she had to relocate one rose bush. The last 2 photos are action shots! Oh the things we do for our pets.:D

Giselle
08-26-2008, 07:48 PM
In the areas that he likes to dig, tell your mom to lay down fencing so that it is laying down on the dirt. Cover it back up partially to entice the dog to dig. Let him dig until he hits the fence. When he stops digging (he has to- the fence should be a sufficient aversive), praise him and send him to the sandbox.

Like peeing/pooping, dogs can learn where is okay and not okay to dig :)

Aspen and Misty
08-26-2008, 08:53 PM
Good luck with the digging! LOL, my dogs have a back yard that belongs to them. The land isn't good for a garden so we have no issues. I think it would be hard to break, but I hope he stops soon.

As for the dia I would make sure he gets a fecal and that it comes back clean. Sitka, my new dog, had dia for the first month and a half I had her. We treid everything, finally I took her to another vet to see if they could find out what was wrong. They tested her for worms and she tested positive for 3 diffrent kinds. We de-wormed her and she now has normal stools!

Ashley

pitc9
08-27-2008, 09:29 AM
For the diarrhea, I would fast the dog for a day, then start feeding rice and boiled chicken or gound beef. Slowly give more till you see the stool look normal then VERY slowly add dry food.
Pepto Bismol caplets can be given as well, check with the vet as to how much and how often.

BC_MoM
08-27-2008, 01:13 PM
He should get a fecal done. Has he been tested for giardia?