PDA

View Full Version : Dremels versus clippers

Pam
08-26-2008, 06:46 AM
I have been using a clipper to do the dogs' nails and have been fortunate to only make a couple of "bad cuts" over the years. Consequently I don't take as much off as I would like because I am fearful of cutting into the quick and causing them to dread nail clipping time. They are both very good about having their nails done and I don't want to do anything to change that.

I think I might be able to take more off if I switch to a dremel and have been seriously thinking of getting one. It seems that a lot of you use them. In that regard, I thought a poll might be in order. :) You can also post your comments (pro or con each one) if you would like. Thanks!

anna_66
08-26-2008, 07:01 AM
I use clippers. I do have a dremmel but haven't used it:o

pomtzu
08-26-2008, 07:20 AM
At present I don't do either - I let the vet or groomer do my dog's nails! However - I'm going to check in to a Dremel when I go out later today. I've tried the clippers myself - I just don't feel comfortable using them.

Spiritwind
08-26-2008, 08:16 AM
I use both... if the nails are really long I usually clip them back and then dremel them.... I have one dog that is better for a dremel than clippers, but still even thing she hates to have her nails done!! I can do ANYTHING to that dog (Paris) but her nails... she is absolutely horrible for her nails!! LOL

4 Dog Mother
08-26-2008, 08:24 AM
I bought a small dremel and it makes too much noise - the dogs won't let me any where near them with it. They don't like to have their nails trimmed with trimmers but they really hated the dremel. So I guess I still with the trimmers!

IRescue452
08-26-2008, 08:35 AM
I use the clippers, the scissors type, not the guillotine type. I cut close and I cut often and you can tell the quick recedes over time. I think in the past 9 years I've cut a nail too short on Autumn once. She struggles a little and no way would she let me near her with a noisy dremel. Nae won't let me do her nails, but she wears them down outside, she has the right foot shape to wear them down on her own.

Ginger's Mom
08-26-2008, 09:27 AM
Ooh, thanks for posting this Pam. With all of the talk about the two new dremel tools out I have been asking everyone I see about this. It would be great to hear what the people on here think. Pet Talkers have more experience and knowledge about such things than the people I have been asking. I will be watching this thread with great interest.

BTW, I have the groomers do Ginger's nails, so I cannot vote. But if I hear enough good things about the dremel, and get some good tips, I may try it. So far I have only had Taz' nails done by the vet, may keep doing that.

Taz_Zoee
08-26-2008, 09:43 AM
I also could not vote, since I do not even clip Zoee's nails. They get clipped at the groomers. But I am one of the people that purchased the Pedi Paws tool. I thought I'd try that and see what I think and maybe I'll upgrade to the Dremel eventually.

IRescue452
08-26-2008, 11:47 AM
For those of you who go to the vet/groomers...how often do you go? I check my animals once a week and clip whatever nails that are starting to go past the quick enough to clip.

Taz_Zoee
08-26-2008, 11:56 AM
Not often enough. :o And that's why I ordered the pedipaws thing so I can keep it up between visits. Zoee's nails are not excessively long because I'd hear them clicking on the hardwood floors. But I'd like to maintain them like you do so the quick recedes back.

lute
08-26-2008, 11:59 AM
I do my dogs' nails every week. I use clippers. I don't not like dremels I just don't use one.

Ginger's Mom
08-26-2008, 12:07 PM
For those of you who go to the vet/groomers...how often do you go? I check my animals once a week and clip whatever nails that are starting to go past the quick enough to clip.

Ginger goes to the groomers once every three months, with me giving her baths in between. I have her nails clipped at PetsMart during the "in between" months. So, I guess the real answer to your question would be every 4-6 weeks I have her nails clipped.

Chica
08-26-2008, 02:13 PM
I am so glad you posted this too. I was wondering if the dremels were noisy. I have been cutting Chica and Coco's nails myself with the scissor kind. They both move around alot but I get it done.Now I won't buy a dremel. Thanks for the tips everyone.

pomtzu
08-26-2008, 02:29 PM
I picked up a small light duty Dremel at Walmart today for $20. It comes with the rechargeable battery pack - is 2 speed - and VERY quiet (it had a partial charge so I checked it out because I was concerned that it would be too noisy) and the housing is very sturdy. It's small enough to be comfortable to handle. I have it charging for a full charge overnight and will give it a try tomorrow. Even if the dogs absoutely won't tolerate it, it has lots of accessories available and I can find uses for it around the house. I'll post after it has been dog tested! :)

Flatcoatluver
08-26-2008, 03:34 PM
I use clippers when I do clip my dogs nails, but most of the time I have the groomer clip there nails and she uses both a clipper and a drummel.

Pam
08-26-2008, 04:09 PM
I picked up a small light duty Dremel at Walmart today for $20. It comes with the rechargeable battery pack - is 2 speed - and VERY quiet (it had a partial charge so I checked it out because I was concerned that it would be too noisy) and the housing is very sturdy. It's small enough to be comfortable to handle. I have it charging for a full charge overnight and will give it a try tomorrow. Even if the dogs absoutely won't tolerate it, it has lots of accessories available and I can find uses for it around the house. I'll post after it has been dog tested! :)

Thank you for posting that! I never thought of Walmart. Should the dogs not like it you are only out $20 and, like you say, you can find other uses. I will stay tuned but think I may just go to Walmart tomorrow and pick one up for myself! ;) Sometimes after I use the clippers on the dogs I file their nails with my human nail file. :) I do that so the edges are not so sharp. It is not fun to have a freshly clipped dog nail on your bare skin! I think since mine tolerate the nail file they might tolerate a dremel if it isn't too loud. Come to think of it, the sound shouldn't bother them because they have the grooming clippers buzzing over their bodies all the time! :)

chocolatepuppy
08-26-2008, 04:31 PM
Clippers here. I clip my dogs nails weekly.

k9krazee
08-26-2008, 04:55 PM
I have both and used both.

I really, really like my dremel. I ordered a small purple one off of petedge and it's great. First I ususally trim the nails, then use the dremel. It's my favorite for Jack (and Shadow) because of the black nails. You can also round them off nicely and they look better.

Because I'm the only one to do their nails and since I can't do them regularly the dremel is really nice because you can get them a lot shorter with it.

shepgirl
08-26-2008, 07:24 PM
I've always use clippers. Have had a few bleeds, but nothing too serious.

Giselle
08-26-2008, 07:45 PM
I LOOOOOOOOOVEEEEEE my Dremel.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/LSophie/IMG_2711.jpg

Love it.

pomtzu
08-27-2008, 11:07 AM
I will stay tuned but think I may just go to Walmart tomorrow and pick one up for myself!

This Dremel is a winner! Wish I had thought of this solution a long time ago. The fur balls only go to the groomer about every 3 months for their hair cuts/trims, so in between I had to pay the groomer or vet for their nails cuts.

I gave it a trial run on the pooches, and since it is so quiet, they weren't spooked by any loud noise. At first they were afraid of the vibration against their nails, but got used to it rather quickly. I only did a couple of nails on each dog since I need to cut the hair between their toes since it gets in the way, and it's hard to hold the hair out of the way and get a grip on the nail at the same time!

I only have one complaint on the Dremel - the packaging!!! It came in one of those hard plastic bubble packs that you practically need a crowbar to open. The person who thought that up needs to be tarred and feathered! :p

Pam
08-27-2008, 02:19 PM
This Dremel is a winner! Wish I had thought of this solution a long time ago.

I knew I should have waited. Now to explain - - I had to stop at Lowe's today after work, and there is a PetsMart next door. I decided to run in there to look at dremels and they were $59.99. I was not going to spend that much so I left with the thought that I would drive to Walmart. Then the thought struck me that I could probably find one at Lowe's. I did find one, although it was $39.99. It is cordless with two speeds and felt nice and light in my hand (some were on display in the store). I went ahead and bought it, all the time thinking to myself - "you could probably get this for half the price at Walmart." Anyway, I'll try the one from Lowe's and if it doesn't work out I will return it and buy the one at Walmart. :)

I have been wanting a dremel for quite some time now. I also belong to a poodle board and most of the gals there use them. When I first got Bella I did all of her grooming (monthly) and did her nails weekly. I then used a groomer for about six months (monthly) and I wasn't so good with the interim nail clipping, and the quick has grown down more than I like it to be. I went back to doing my own grooming and I do the dogs' nails weekly. I think with the dremel I might be able to get closer each week and maybe get them shorter in time. It will also be nice to be able to cut Ripley's nails shorter (they are totally black) without cutting the quick. I feel like I am really cutting blind with him. :eek: I'll let you know how I do. I plan to try them tomorrow. ;)

pomtzu
08-27-2008, 03:50 PM
I knew I should have waited.

That's funny! I don't know about you, but I hate running here-there-and everywhere comparison shopping. I'm an advocate of one stop shopping. I think it comes with age - it's h3ll getting old!!

It just so happens for me that Walmart was the first place that came to mind and I didn't know how much of a selection they would have on the Dremel, but they had a lot of different models. I lucked out, otherwise Lowe's would have been next.

I think you'll like the results you get. Just remember - short spurts about a second at at time till you get the nail where you want it. If you leave it against the nail for too long the nail will get hot and cause discomfort to your dogs. I used the low speed too.

Tomorrow I hope to get motivated enough to get their toe hair cut so I can get all their nails done. They will give me more grief doing that than doing the nails. But Myndi's nails get so sharp that I always have scratches on my arms - looks like I've been in a cat fight. It will be nice to be able to keep them smoothed out.

Let me know how this works out for you, but I think you'll like it. :D

Ellie

lizbud
08-27-2008, 04:37 PM
I've never clipped any of my dog's nails, I take them to the Vet to get
them done. They actually have 2 prices for this. One for a easy job
and another for the harder to clip dogs.:) Mine are both easy to clip, so
they tell me.

I've never had the nerve to try this myself, because I'd hate to mess
up and hurt them.

Pam
08-28-2008, 10:26 AM
I think you'll like the results you get. Just remember - short spurts about a second at at time till you get the nail where you want it. If you leave it against the nail for too long the nail will get hot and cause discomfort to your dogs. I used the low speed too.

Hubby gave me a big speech last night about being careful about holding it too long in one spot for the same reason you mention. Now I am getting *sweaty palms* just thinking about doing it. :eek: It is charging now and I hope to report in by this afternoon. My hands will probably be shaking when I start. :rolleyes: :p

pomtzu
08-28-2008, 12:11 PM
Now I am getting *sweaty palms* just thinking about doing it. :eek:

You'll do fine. :) Believe me - if I can do it - ANYBODY can!!!! :D

Pam
08-28-2008, 03:13 PM
I just finished using the dremel and it was great! Bella just laid there and even yawned in the middle of it! Even Ripley didn't move a muscle. I think they are so used to having the clippers on their feet that they really didn't notice that I was working on their toes instead. :p :D I did all of Bella's feet and Ripley's front feet. Later on I will do his back feet. I wasn't even shaking at all! LOL! I wish I had bought one a long time ago!

pomtzu
08-28-2008, 03:46 PM
I just finished using the dremel and it was great! I wish I had bought one a long time ago!

I told you it was simple!!! It's the best $20 investment I've made in a long time!!! :D

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
08-28-2008, 05:18 PM
Being a groomer myself, I use clippers. One of our groomers uses a dremel, but like most of you have said here, it really depends on the dog. If they can handle the noise and vibration and stuff, then they're fine. Some just can't take it, lol.

My cat's nails get trimmed once a week or so. They'd flip if I brought a dremel home, :rolleyes:

For those of you asking about how often, the groomers recommend once a month depending on how much your dog walks on cement and stuff to wear them down.

Maybe on my next dog I'll try the dremel. I swear by my clippers as of right now-- I've gotten used to them and I haven't cut a quick in months. The trick is a little at a time. :)

Interesting thread!

gardengirl
08-29-2008, 04:21 PM
Bailey really hates the clippers, in fact he doesn't like his feet worked on at all. But he will let me use the dremmel if my husband helps hold him. If he isn't around, I lay him on the floor, put treats in front of his mouth, and as he eats, I trim away. It's not the easiest way. I really miss my collie who would fall asleep while I did her nails. Amazing!

Rachel
08-29-2008, 07:15 PM
Well, I guess I'll be the next one to go shopping. I'm taking a chance though as Hannah's motto is *don't touch my feet*. She's only had her's clipped at the groomers.

Jods
08-29-2008, 07:59 PM
Mercedes I have to use garden sheers to cut hers as they are soooo thick they break my clippers or get bent sideways OUCH when trying to clip.

Spike (my pug) won't let me near him with clippers at all he won't let me touch his feet period. No idea why as he has never even been hurt by them before :rolleyes:

Gomer (my parents dog) needs his done, and lets my mom do them but sulks the whole time hehe. She uses regular clippers for him.