PDA

View Full Version : Would you get a new vet?

NicoleLJ
08-25-2008, 09:23 PM
Say for several years you lived in one town and you had an awsome vet for your pets. Someone who was great with your animals and had fair prices and always found a way to work with you even if it was an emergency.

But then you move a couple of hours away to a new town. Would you then look for a new vet? Or would you pay the extra cost of gas to make sure your pets continued to go to someone they were familiar with and that you knew was awsome?

The reason I ask is we are having to make that decision. We just recently moved. And in a week or so we have to get our kittens neutered. 2 males. We don't know any of the vets here. Personally I want to take my boys to a vet that I know cares for my animals and does an awsome job and is fair in price rather then finding someone new. Others have told me I am crazy and should just get a vet closer to home. It took me years to find a vet like this person so I know finding an awosme vet can be very difficult.

So what would you all do and why?

Jessika
08-25-2008, 09:30 PM
Well, it depends. For routine stuff like vaccinations I may look for a new vet, but for major stuff like surgeries I wouldn't consider a few hours' trip unfair in that aspect. I mean... I don't know actually, it's a tough call.

Aspen and Misty
08-25-2008, 09:53 PM
I have to agree, it would depend. I drive an hour or so to go to my vet. I love them and it took me 2 1/2 years to find a vet I even felt comfortable enough to allow them to do routine shots. I don't think I would ever go anywhere else in this area. If I moved 2 hours away, I think I would go to all the vets in the area for a routine "check up" untill I found one I was comfortable with. Vets here tend to shove you out the door with very little info. I've left before with no idea what was wrong with my dogs. I finally found one that has "all the time in the world" to talk with you and make sure you understand whats going on.

So for me, an hour to an hour and a half. No big deal.

Ashley

NicoleLJ
08-25-2008, 10:10 PM
Thanks for the replies. Since I am looking at neutering two kittens and not just simple shots I defiantely feel more comfortable going to my regular vet with these two.

But I like the idea of checking out the closer vets for routine shots. This way if there is an immediate emergency I have someone to take them to that we at least know. That will have to wait till the next shots are due for either the kittens or the dogs. Which ever come first.

Aspen and Misty
08-25-2008, 10:59 PM
I wouldn't wait till they need their shots. What if, knock on wood that something does happen to your dogs or to one of your cats before then. The only vet you have is hours away and you have an emergency on hand. Even though my vet is only an hour away I have a vet about 10 mins from my house that I use for true emergencies, they see my dogs once a year for a "check up" and that’s it. I always fax updated vaccs and info to them as soon as they get there shots though so that they have the most up to date information. I would definitely spend the 50 or so dollars it cost to take them in just to have the vet take a look at even just one of them, this way you can meet the vet. If you don't like that vet save up and take them to another vet. It's worth the time and money to have a vet that you at least know you can rely on in emergencies.

Ashley

Catty1
08-25-2008, 11:22 PM
I would definitely look at getting a new vet, BUT would go by word of mouth! I would ask at pet stores, and if there are several vets near you, take Sheena along and phone to ask about dropping in and just saying hello. You can get a good "feel" just by being there.

OR - I bet your vet back where you moved from would be able to recommend a vet or two. Maybe there is someone there he/she went to vet school with, and who is awesome. Plus your vet knows you, and would be able to hazard a good guess for a new vet.

Taz_Zoee
08-26-2008, 12:10 AM
Ask your favorite vet if they know of anyone they'd recommend in the new area. That's what I've done for a chiropractor. However, the chiro that my old one recommended turned out to be not right for me. So I went to one that a co-worker goes to.
So either ask the other vet or like someone else said, ask around to see who locals recommend.
I also agree with driving two hours for major things like the kittens being neutered. And then just "try out" local places for routine things.

And, did I miss seeing pictures of the kittens, or am I just forgetful? ;) hint hint

Medusa
08-26-2008, 06:51 AM
I have two vets, one local for routine checkups, etc., another who is farther away for special cases. In your search for a new vet, a referral is always best. I think that stands for any type of service that you're searching for.

Randi
08-26-2008, 08:03 AM
I wouldn't be happy about it, but I would have to find a new vet if it was more than an hour away. I don't have a car and can't depend on friends to take Fister there, if it's that far. I hope it will never be neccesary to move.

BitsyNaceyDog
08-26-2008, 08:28 AM
I was in a similar situation a couple years ago. I loved my vet in my old town, he was great with my exotics and that is so hard to find. I did some research on the vets closer to me and found an even better exotic vet. She specializes in birds and the second vet at the same clinic specializes in rodents. They've won national awards for their excellence with exotics (I don't remember what the actual awards were). The vet who specializes in birds has been named one of the top 10 vets in the US. My birds and chinchillas have been to that clinic and I absolutely love them there and they're less than 10 minutes from my house.

Ok, my point is to look around at the vets near you, you may find someone even better for you and your pets. I personally would continue to go back to my "old" vet for big things until I find a vet I like nearby.

moosmom
08-26-2008, 09:13 AM
I've had the same vet since before I moved to Michigan. Dr. Geer of the Colchester Veterinary Hospital is the best in his business. He allows you to make payments and will help you, as he did me when we found those 3 weeks old kittens.

kuhio98
08-26-2008, 11:15 AM
I would ask my awsome vet for a referral closer to the new home.

He/She is probably part of a network of vets who exchange information and ideas on cases.

lute
08-26-2008, 12:15 PM
I would ask my vet if he/she knows of a good vet closer to your new home. What if an emergency happens? If your dog bloats? You may not have a couple hours to your vet.

carole
08-26-2008, 04:09 PM
Personally i would get a new vet, because i hate stressing my cats out driving in the car, not to mention it stresses me out as well, and i don't travel good, however it really depends on how your pets travel and how you feel about it all,only you can make that choice. good luck:)

Ginger's Mom
08-26-2008, 04:21 PM
Well, it depends. For routine stuff like vaccinations I may look for a new vet, but for major stuff like surgeries I wouldn't consider a few hours' trip unfair in that aspect. I mean... I don't know actually, it's a tough call.

I have some friends who moved from south Jersey to New York City, and this is exactly what they did. For routine things they would take them locally, but for major things they brought their cats back down here. If it was a true emergency they took their cat to the closest emergency clinic and did all of the immediate care necessary. But the next day they would drive down here for follow up.

Freedom
08-26-2008, 05:04 PM
Neutering male kittens is a fairly simple procedure, I'm not sure I would travel for that. Talk to pet owners where you live now, get some ideas. I have found the ones who work with feral cat rescue groups are quite good, which has surprised me. Only one who did that work that I didn't like.

My cats do NOT like car rides, and taking 2 there and back home after while they feel woozy may not be such a good idea.

Start now finding someone locally. You never know with pets, that next emergency could be right around the corner; and you KNOW it will be a weekend and /or holiday, that is a given. :rolleyes:

shepgirl
08-26-2008, 07:23 PM
I would probably get a new vet from referrals. A neuter is so simple that it would be a good way to gauge a new vet. If a vet can screw a neuter or spay then they wouldn't be much of a vet and I would search for another.

NicoleLJ
08-26-2008, 11:14 PM
I don't want to give them a chance to screw up the kittens neutering. These boys are pure bred flame point siamese kittens. First time I ever adopted a pure bred kitten from a breeder. But even if they weren't I would still rather get a surgery done by someone I know will do a good job. I have had vets screw up neutering and spaying before. So I know there are vets like that out there.

I would rather wait till the yearly check up or time for Ajax's next shots which is coming up soon. Shots are simple and I will get a referal from my current vet as others suggested.

emily_the_spoiled
08-28-2008, 09:02 AM
I don't know about the vets where you live, but my local vet encourages people to come into the facility and look at it before they bring their pets in (if they are interested). When you do get a couple of potential referrals see if you can go in and look at the facilities and how they interact with people/animals.

pomtzu
08-28-2008, 09:37 AM
That's a tough call. I too have an awsome vet - very down to earth - takes all the time you need - fair rates and not out only for the almighty dollar - makes house calls one day a week - and genuinely loves her patients.

I'd hate to lose her, but in the event I did move (or she did), I would eventually have to find someone closer. You need to take a lot in to consideration - what about an emergency - what about your present vet's office hours - could weather conditions keep you from traveling, etc..

Word of mouth is usually the best reference - just take the time to check out numerous new vets in your area, and perhaps your present vet can steer you in the right direction too. Good luck!