PDA

View Full Version : Those of you with S/O that snore...

slleipnir
08-25-2008, 07:25 PM
Does it bother you? How do you deal with it? My boyfriend snores really loud and falls asleep almost instantly. I take a while to fall asleep and the snoring keeps me up. I try and sleep first, but I'm a light sleeper so I'd wake up at any little thing. Sorry for the pointless thread...just curious if anyone has found a way around it. Neither of us get much sleep because of it...(he snores and I curse ;D)

Taz_Zoee
08-25-2008, 07:32 PM
I know how you feel. I am also a light sleeper and he falls asleep instantly. He doesn't snore too much, but when he does I'll either turn over or nudge him in some way and that usually makes him stop. He snores worse the more exhausted he is (or the more he drinks :p).
You could have him try those breath rite strips that opens the nasal passage. An ex-boyfriend from years ago used those and they worked.
Otherwise, I go sleep on the couch. :)

Moesha
08-25-2008, 07:33 PM
Have you tried earplugs?

krazyaboutkatz
08-25-2008, 08:12 PM
There's also a special pillow that you can buy that is supposed to help snoring. I'm also a very light sleeper and I always wear ear plugs at night just so I don't hear any outside noise but that doesn't stop my cat Sunny from waking me up.LOL:)

Marigold2
08-25-2008, 08:39 PM
I remember waking up one night and wondering who was cutting down a tree. :eek::eek: Just Steve snoring. LOL I turn him on his side and that often helps, if not I wake him up and he has to rub my back then, that makes us both fall asleep. If all else falls I go sleep in Benny's room.

kitten645
08-25-2008, 09:22 PM
Can't help with S/O but I can sympathize. I'm a VERY light sleeper and just last night woke up and thought "What the heck is that noise?" Took me a while to track it down but it was Hobbes snoring his head off!:eek: I gave him a belly rub and that seems to stop it. Turns into purrs that are much more soothing! :D
Claudia

sparks19
08-25-2008, 10:20 PM
I know what you mean.

Brian snores and he falls asleep INSTANTLY. It doesn't wake me up if I am already asleep but I can't GET to sleep if he is snoring.

I usually just give him a little shake and say "You're snoring" he doesn't fully wake up but he usually ends up rolling over or just stops snoring for a moment or two.

wolf_Q
08-25-2008, 10:35 PM
If it were me I'd try earplugs, and try to fall asleep first. Do we get to see pics of you and the b/f? :p

Karen
08-25-2008, 11:49 PM
I have no help to offer, as I am the snoring one in this house. I warned Paul before I ever married him of this, but thankfully, he is the opposite of a light sleeper - he could probably sleep through a train wreck - so it works out okay!

Pam
08-26-2008, 05:29 AM
I have lived with this problem for years. Two of my co-workers (older gals like myself :o ) have the same problem with their hubbies. I thought it was a problem that started with men when they reached 50! :D

Anyway.... rolling him over doesn't work and earplugs hurt my ears so I used to just have to make a 3:00AM walk to the spare bedroom. Finally I got tired of the late night walk and just moved into the other room. You really can't function at work (at least I can't) with so many nightly interruptions. I have read that sometimes weight loss is the answer. My own boss who is not heavy at all, lost only 10 lbs. and apparently that was the end of the problem for his wife.

Medusa
08-26-2008, 06:46 AM
Have you tried earplugs?

They do work, I've had to use them, but be careful. I pushed them too deep into my ear and punctured my ear drum. After that, it was separate bedrooms. We came together on occasion, if you get my meaning. LOL

anna_66
08-26-2008, 07:07 AM
Seems like everyone else has posted what I've done;)

How about trying a Unisom or Tylenol PM?

AdoreMyDogs
08-26-2008, 10:03 AM
My husband snores so badly that even trough earplugs and having a pillow over my ears, I can't ever sleep with him. He snores worse then I've ever heard anyone snore. It shakes the bed it's so obnixious. It can be heard throughout the entire house. Right now we're talking about sleeping in different rooms because I never get any sleep. I'm a light sleeper and it's not comfortable sleeping with earplugs every night, but I must. I wish they had earplugs that blocked out everything, but then I wouldn't hear Quinn if she cries. Sleeping on the sofa is an option I guess, but it's always covered in cat and dog hair. I can live with the dog hair, but I get itchy around my cats and the cats don't sleep on my bed ever, so my bed is always free of cat hair. Whoever sleeps on the sofa also gets licked on the face by either of the dogs, and that's very annoying.

I'm not sure what to do about this horrendous snoring I have to live with on a daily basis. :( I guess I just won't ever sleep a full night.

Taz_Zoee
08-26-2008, 12:11 PM
I'm not sure what to do about this horrendous snoring I have to live with on a daily basis. :( I guess I just won't ever sleep a full night.

I kinda had to laugh at this. You have an 18 month old and a baby on the way....of course you will never sleep a full night. :p ;)
Although, I do not have children and I NEVER sleep through the night, EVER! And it's not because of snoring either. It's just me.

Karen
08-26-2008, 12:16 PM
I wanted to add that I have always snored - probably has to do with my asthma, allergies, and the shape of my mouth and palate. As a child, when I was going to camp or anything, before the first night, I'd tell everyone "I snore. I know I snore. If it wakes you up, or is keeping you awake, please wake me up. I will then stay awake until I know you have gotten back to sleep.

The one time a girl complained the next morning about my snoring, all the other girls yelled at her and said "She TOLD you to wake her up! Why didn't you?" and that was the end of it.

CathyBogart
08-26-2008, 01:58 PM
A couple pf my friends snored BAD until they were diagnosed with sleep apnea and purchased sleep-ap machines. Both of them said they never realized how much sleep they were missing out on until they could breathe well through the night.

Moesha
08-26-2008, 03:07 PM
I do have a friend whose husband had that sleep apnea test. He doesn't have to be hooked to a breathing machine, but he has one of those mouth inserts to sleep with. It pulls his lower jaw out just slightly and that helps keep the airway opened. He's really happy with it. And so is she.

Maya & Inka's mommy
08-26-2008, 03:10 PM
I know what you mean.

Brian snores and he falls asleep INSTANTLY. It doesn't wake me up if I am already asleep but I can't GET to sleep if he is snoring.

I usually just give him a little shake and say "You're snoring" he doesn't fully wake up but he usually ends up rolling over or just stops snoring for a moment or two.

LOL!! This sounds exactly like how it is here:rolleyes::D! He falls asleep so fast that he often doesn't even hears me say "goodnight!!" :rolleyes:

In my case, earplugs do the trick!! I love the "sound of silence" ;)

btw. He says I snore too, but I don't believe that untill he can proove that!
And he cannot, because he makes to much noise to hear me :):):p

CountryWolf07
08-26-2008, 03:10 PM
Mike falls asleep instantly too as well, and me on the other hand, I take a while to fall asleep.. but ONCE IN A WHILE, I will beat him to sleep. ;)

buttercup132
08-26-2008, 04:53 PM
A couple pf my friends snored BAD until they were diagnosed with sleep apnea and purchased sleep-ap machines. Both of them said they never realized how much sleep they were missing out on until they could breathe well through the night I was going to suggest that people whos hubbys snore really bad should go get tested.

My bf snores but only when he's on his back.

k9krazee
08-26-2008, 05:06 PM
Nope, Rich doesn't snore, thank goodness! We're both light sleepers and sometimes he'll complain that I'm breathing really heavily, but I only do it when I'm really tired!

kuhio98
08-26-2008, 05:17 PM
I use Mack's earplugs. They are soft and comfortable and work well. http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=75090&catid=13837&trx=GFI-0-EVGR-49973&trxp1=10782&trxp2=75090&trxp3=1&trxp4=36&btrx=BUY-GFI-0-EVGR-49973

shepgirl
08-26-2008, 07:06 PM
Mine falls asleep in a second and snores loud enough to be heard down the street I'm sure...he he. I always wear earplugs but he can snore right through that so it's nudge nudge all night. Unfortunately he can snore in any position , I put up with it because I drive him nuts with my sleepwalking when I do fall asleep.

Catsnclay
08-26-2008, 07:43 PM
I do have a friend whose husband had that sleep apnea test. He doesn't have to be hooked to a breathing machine, but he has one of those mouth inserts to sleep with. It pulls his lower jaw out just slightly and that helps keep the airway opened. He's really happy with it. And so is she.

Sleep Apena is a serious problem, please get your snorer to a doctor ASAP.

My husband & I - ok I suffered through his snoring for years before we had it cheked out....good thing, he could have died!! :eek:

This is something you should not take lightly!!

Moesha
08-26-2008, 08:41 PM
Sleep Apena is a serious problem, please get your snorer to a doctor ASAP.

My husband & I - ok I suffered through his snoring for years before we had it cheked out....good thing, he could have died!! :eek:

This is something you should not take lightly!!

I don't have a snorer, unless you count Morgan. (my kitty) And my friend did have the sleep apena test done. I do have other family members that have the machine to help them while sleeping.

K9karen
08-26-2008, 11:50 PM
Mz Logan's been known to snore on ocassion, for a sec or two.
Otherwise, I'm as lucky as he$$. If I don't fall asleep quickly, I hear everything so if John snored, I'd have to kill him. :p

My brother, though, is a real window rattler, but thankfully sleeps downstairs, but I can still hear him once in a while.

Twisterdog
08-26-2008, 11:54 PM
My husband snores SO badly.

I would sleep in the extra bedroom in a MINUTE ... but we don't have an extra bedroom at the moment.

He got the mouth piece. It helped somewhat, but not enough for me to sleep. He refuses to go to the sleep clinic. I am SURE he has sleep apnea, but he won't hear of it.

I elbow him in the ribs so many times that he finally stomps off and sleeps on the couch.

It's absurd.

harpmom
08-27-2008, 11:10 AM
My husband snores, horribly! I finally had given up and moved into our spare bedroom just to get some sleep. Then the lung doctor, whom he sees for something else, asked if he snored. He insisted on a sleep study, which, I'm told was not a really big deal -- you don't have to do anything but sleep. The sleep study identified a rather serious case of sleep apnea. He uses a CPAP (stands for Continuous Positive Airway Pressure) machine at night and after the first night was a convert.

My sister died 15 years ago of what was probably a sleep apnea episode, so we don't take it lightly. Also, we are all a lot happier at night now that Daddy doesn't rattle the windows.

Those of you with serious snorers, please insist that they get checked out. It could be killing them.

leansnslobbers
08-27-2008, 03:38 PM
Does it bother you? How do you deal with it? My boyfriend snores really loud and falls asleep almost instantly. I take a while to fall asleep and the snoring keeps me up. I try and sleep first, but I'm a light sleeper so I'd wake up at any little thing. Sorry for the pointless thread...just curious if anyone has found a way around it. Neither of us get much sleep because of it...(he snores and I curse ;D)

Oh honey, I feel your pain. My S/O snores HORRIBLY and I'm a light sleeper as well. I no longer sleep in the bed at night. He and my great dane sleep in the bed together (the dane snores too, lol) and Corvus and I sleep on the couch. I have to keep a fan running (white noise) so that I can drown him out.

I gave up on sleeping in the bed like a normal person. We tried all sorts of things for him. He has lost some weight, which has helped some, but even if he didn't snore, he's still a tosser and a turner and I just can't sleep like that. I was always catching an elbow in the face or something when he would roll over. :eek: