PDA

View Full Version : Scanning???

Randi
08-25-2008, 10:26 AM
I'm not very familiar with scanning photos, I have scanned some documents earlier though, and there was no problem.

I was told that if you save them as pdf's they should be better, but if that goes for photos too, I don't know. I tried .jpg, but when I opened in Photoshop, there was nothing. :confused: Saving as .pdf works, but they're quite dark, and the color went.

Can anyone help?

This is the scanner I have:

momoffuzzyfaces
08-25-2008, 12:24 PM
Wish I could help but I still haven't figured out how to use my scanner either.

Every thing is way too big so I don't even save them. :(

Karen
08-25-2008, 12:29 PM
Saving it as either a jpg or a pdf should not affect the quality. There may be other settings involved that do so. jpg is the format most often used for pictures that are going to be seen online. There are compression setting involved with a jpg file, so make sure you use as little compression as possible - that affects quality.

That document you attached shows that the scanner software is set to scan grayscale, not color. Change that, and your colors should reappear fine!

Randi
08-25-2008, 02:22 PM
Thanks you Moff and Karen! :) I tried earlier what you suggested, Karen - still didn't get color. It probably is some other setting- I'll try again tomorrow when I'm less sleepy.

kitten645
08-25-2008, 09:30 PM
I have an Epson scanner too. I see you have it in Professional Mode. You might want to try Home Mode. It's simpler. At some point it asks you how you want to save it and you can choose JPG. I've never had any problem and I've scanned alot of pictures. Good luck!
Claudia

Hellow
08-26-2008, 06:36 PM
Unless you are going to put these pics online, i would recommend saving them as a .png file. PNG preserves the quality of the image.

Jessika
08-26-2008, 07:01 PM
Unless you are going to put these pics online, i would recommend saving them as a .png file. PNG preserves the quality of the image.

.PNG preserves the quality of the image but the file size is much, much larger than a .JPG. For internet sharing I recommend saving to your hard drive perhaps as a .PNG but convert it to a .JPG before uploading it to the net. Those on slower connections will thank you, plus there really isn't a HUGE difference in quality to be honest.

Scanned photos regardless are always going to be a little lower quality anyway unless you have a very nice scanner, and even then you can have smudge marks, blurriness, etc.