PDA

View Full Version : Drinking and Driving

StarandBratsmom
08-24-2008, 04:34 PM
Hey everyone. I just found out a long time friend of my family was in a car accident. The boyfriend was drunk and driving, he flipped the car. No one was in a seat belt, so she and her kids flew out of the car. The kids suffered minor injuries, but their mom is fighting for life. She has a shattered pelvis, ripped scalp, calasped lung, and is bleeding internally. So if any of you have faith, will you pray for their family? Thanks. This was a wake up call.

kimlovescats
08-24-2008, 05:07 PM
Unfortunately too many have to have these "wake up calls" before learning anything. My thoughts and prayers for this woman and her family. :(

Karen
08-24-2008, 05:08 PM
She will be in our prayers.

krazyaboutkatz
08-24-2008, 05:30 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this.:( Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent her way.

Medusa
08-24-2008, 06:54 PM
Prayers going up for your friend and all concerned......

sparks19
08-24-2008, 09:36 PM
OH that is so sad :( a seatbelt is such an easy thing to remember and I hope these kids learn a valuable lesson about drinking and driving.

My prayers are with them all. speedy recovery for the children and I hope their mother makes a full recovery as well.

Logan
08-25-2008, 10:54 AM
It is a horrible, horrible thing, drinking and driving. We have a family member whose life will never be the same because of an accident he caused, drinking and driving. :( Your friend will be in my prayers.

moosmom
08-25-2008, 11:59 AM
Thoughts and prayers coming from CT.

Marigold2
08-25-2008, 06:06 PM
I feel terrible for the little ones, for the adults they belong in jail.
A mother first off letting her children ride in a car with someone who is drunk, then not using a seatbelt deserves some heavy duty jail time and her children belong somewhere else. I know this might seem harsh but she really really put those poor helpless kids in danger. It does not sound as if she is smart enough or mature enough to have kids.

Medusa
08-25-2008, 06:51 PM
My niece and her husband, newlyweds, were killed by a drunk trucker. They were in a VW, he in his semi. He was so drunk that he didn't even know he had hit them. Several people honked their horns at him until he pulled over. My niece had to have her face scraped off the windshield. My brother-in-law, (my niece's father) was never the same after that. He missed his daughter so much that he visited her grave every day til the day he died. More lives are destroyed than just the ones who die in the drunk driving incident.

Catty1
08-25-2008, 07:00 PM
S&B - many prayers for all the people involved and affected. I hope this is a real wake up call for the BF and the friend.

Mary - what a horrible thing to have happen...you are right, it affects so many more people that just the ones who are injured or killed.

And it's so preventable...:(

M&M's Mommy
08-25-2008, 07:18 PM
I'll be praying for her & her family.

Marigold2
08-25-2008, 08:29 PM
Oh Mary, There are no words to tell you how sorry I am. The pain is so very deep I know. I am so sorry for your brother. My family has had 4 deaths due to car accidents. One was my mom. The pain is like a torch against your skin.
My sister's husband killed a man driving drunk, he ran over an East Ohio Gas man. This poor man was working on the side of the road when Jim plowed him down and dragged him God's knows how far. He died 11 days later in the hospital. It was a nightmare for everyone.
Drinking and driving is not ok. And NO not everyone does it. We have to make the laws bit back. We have the power to stop this one person at a time by taking a stand and not drinking and stopping those that do even if it means grabbing the keys and flushing them away. Don't think that taking the keys away from a drunk makes you look bad, or foolish or a bad friend. You are often saving a life and if the drunk gets mad, call the police, it's better then going through the pain of a death and knowing you had the power to stop it.
My hearts and prayers go out to all.

Medusa
08-25-2008, 08:49 PM
I could debate this subject all day and night, however, the person about whom this thread was started is fighting for her life and that's where the focus needs to be. I do hope that when she recovers though, that she'll never again allow her children or herself to get into a car w/someone who's been drinking. My prayers still continue for her and her family and those who care about her.

StarandBratsmom
08-25-2008, 10:16 PM
What is horrible is, I have no idea how she is now, if she is even alive. Her family will not talk to me or my sister. The girl is my sister's best friend and we all grew up together. They won't talk to anyone that was friends with her. It makes me angry and sad at the same time. I wish so much I could just do something.

Catty1
08-25-2008, 11:32 PM
Her family is totally in shock and horrified, I am sure. They aren't even thinking of anyone outside the family at the moment - JMO. I wouldn't be surprised if they are camped out at the hospital, and dealing with the kids.

Give them some time, and I am sure they will be in touch with you, when they are ready.

Prayers for you, and for the family.

StarandBratsmom
08-26-2008, 06:57 AM
The kids were taken away, since both parents were drunk and underage. This whole thing has made me so much more aware of the dangers of drinking and driving. Not only that, but how precious life really is. You never know something you love is going to be taken from you. Many people think it will never happen to you, no one you know will ever be hurt by drinking. It does. I just wanted to thank you all for the support you've given me. I really do appreciate all your prayers, and I am sure the family does too.

Marigold2
08-26-2008, 08:30 AM
I am so sorry you are not able to hear news of your friend. Her family is in deep shock now and probably not leaving her bedside, plus there are the children to care for and their emotional needs are I am sure being attented to. If one set of both of the parents are upset and angry that could also come into play. Lots of family issues here. Best of luck to you.