PDA

View Full Version : Got the oil changed yesterday...

Sirrahsim
08-24-2008, 09:22 AM
All of the nice fresh oil is in a puddle under the car. I am not amused. Seriously, the dipstick is DRY.:mad:

To their credit, the supervisor here at the Walmart where we got it done is VERY nice. He instructed us to put in another 3 quarts of oil just to get it back to Wally World and they will fix it and reimburse us for the oil that we have to add to get it back to the store.
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee214/tylerwendl/August2008026.jpg

Lady's Human
08-24-2008, 10:57 AM
I wouldn't drive it at all, if it's losing oil that quickly you could do serious damage to the engine. I'd tell them if they're basically admitting they screwed up, they should send a wrecker.

Cinder & Smoke
08-24-2008, 11:01 AM
All of the nice fresh oil is in a puddle under the car.
I am not amused.
Seriously, the dipstick is DRY.:mad:

He instructed us to put in another 3 quarts of oil just to get it back to Wally World
and they will fix it and reimburse us for the oil that we have to add to get it back to the store.

:eek:

GOOD thing you 'noticed it' before you drove any great distance.

Did he also offer to send out the Haz-Mat crew to clean up the "oil spill" on the road?

WHAT did they tell you "the problem" was???
Wally makes such a production out of an oil change with THREE guys all
**SHOUTING**
the check steps between the guys in the car, under the hood, and down in the 'pit' -
Gotta wonder HOW they let THAT big a leak out the door.

Keep a SHARP lookout for signs or sounds of the engine overheating or making strange noises.

caseysmom
08-24-2008, 11:43 AM
I would definetely have it towed back there at their expense and make them clean up the mess, someone forgot a screw somewhere it looks like.

boomersooner
08-24-2008, 12:59 PM
I agree...you don't want to risk damaging your engine driving it without oil....They owe you that at least!! I'd have them throw in some concrete cleaner as well......

caseysmom
08-24-2008, 02:26 PM
If you throw down some old fashioned johnny cat kitty litter and put some tennis shoes and kind of grind it into the oil then sweep it up that will clean most of it up I would just be annoyed that I had to do it.

RICHARD
08-24-2008, 03:47 PM
Could it be that the truck sneezed?:confused::rolleyes:

That happened to me once. I was literally four store fronts down from an autoparts store and was able to fix it in their parking lot.

If you take some Dawn dishwashing soap and use that after you soak up the oil with the cat litter-a little elbow 'grease', water and an old push broom you can get it to the point where it's really not too bad.

-------

The problem is probably with the drain plug-
Either it was hand tightened and they forgot to put a wrench to it or they put in the wrong one.

DPs are the easiest concept in the world to open. A wrench or socket, a twist and you are draining oil?

Not so fast. There are tons of problems you can run into during and after an oil change.

Have them double check the plug when you take it in and thank your lucky stars that you have to invest in only cat litter, dish soap and some time in getting the stain out from in front of your house....Engines are way more expensive!:eek:

jazzcat
08-24-2008, 03:53 PM
Yikes! That just happened to my Dad's car last Saturday. He doesn't drive but his caretaker was taking him to breakfast in his Buick. They started down the hill from his house and the oil filter fell off and the oil started leaking out. Luckily they made it back up to his house and turned the car off before all the oil leaked out and the engine seized up. Dad's neighbor found the filter in the road and went to buy him a new one when he discovered the one that fell off wasn't even the right filter. We had the oil changed months ago so everyone is amazed that filter stayed on so long. Fortunately everything is okay with is car and it's running fine now.

Sirrahsim
08-24-2008, 04:50 PM
It turns out that the gasket on the drain pan plug was cracked into a bunch of pieces. I got there and got it fixed without incident. The maintenance people at the base will come take care of the oil spill:)