PDA

View Full Version : Something most of us already know! ;)

Pam
08-24-2008, 06:38 AM
Can pets actually improve our health? You betcha! Good article! :)
http://www.webmd.com/hypertension-high-blood-pressure/features/health-benefits-of-pets

Ginger's Mom
08-24-2008, 07:16 AM
Yes, you are absolutely right, Pam. I have learned time and time again how pets (dogs in my particular case) can make life easier. I have become much more active and busy since adding dogs to my life, and they certainly help to relieve stress with a kiss. Pets are the best medicine to many of life's problems. :)

chocolatepuppy
08-24-2008, 07:20 AM
Really? I'm thinking Jake's gonna be the death of me!:p One thing for sure, after that bad day at work, seeing them when I walk through the door can bring a smile to my face, no matter what!:love:

I have become much more active and busy since adding dogs to my life
That's for sure, I have to keep busy with them. How many people miss all those beautiful stars at night? Playing in the snow? My dogs keep me in touch with nature. The cats, they bring a 'calmness' to my life.:)

Willow Oak
08-24-2008, 07:27 AM
I can see where that mangy pack of hounds you got there would keep you busy, chocolate. :D

Are you kidding me? Since I began hording creatures my blood pressure has skyrocketed, my anxiety level has balooned, and my social life has hit the skids! I wouldn't have it any other way. :)

chocolatepuppy
08-24-2008, 07:34 AM
I can see where that mangy pack of hounds you got there would keep you busy, chocolate. :D

Are you kidding me? Since I began hording creatures my blood pressure has skyrocketed, my anxiety level has balooned, and my social life has hit the skids! I wouldn't have it any other way. :)

Haha I have to laugh at this! I always say we're a dysfunctional family.:rolleyes:I was just telling a friend yesterday, we rock and roll here from 5:35 am until at least 11:35 pm! Of course, I wouldn't have it any other way!;)Be careful Willow, you keep it up ,calling my dogs names, and I will send Jake to YOU!:D

Willow Oak
08-24-2008, 08:00 AM
Haha I have to laugh at this! I always say we're a dysfunctional family.:rolleyes:I was just telling a friend yesterday, we rock and roll here from 5:35 am until at least 11:35 pm! Of course, I wouldn't have it any other way!;)Be careful Willow, you keep it up ,calling my dogs names, and I will send Jake to YOU!:D

That flea-bitten hound? Send him?

Forget that! You say the word, and I'm in my car ..., see you tomorrow! ;)

RICHARD
08-24-2008, 10:01 AM
I vote no!

Beside waking me up early and making me freak out when Ed D. Katz gets on top of places he shouldn't be....:D;)

chocolatepuppy
08-24-2008, 11:59 AM
Forget that! You say the word, and I'm in my car ..., see you tomorrow! ;)
Ha ha, naw, I'm gonna keep him, he's a mamma's boy.:cool:

Beside waking me up early
Ah, speaking of that, my cats are the reason we can't sleep in more than 10 minutes on the weekend. If Missy's screaming doesn't get me up, Sassy jumps on the bed and pounces on me.:rolleyes:

Still... they're my whole world.:love:

Rachel
08-24-2008, 01:07 PM
I've had this theory that assisted living and retirement facilities should be built adjacent to animal shelters. That way the human residents of the retirement facilities could have easy access to the animals and be able to provide some of the love and attention these animals need without having to accept the total responsibility for an animal at a stage in their life where they might not be able to follow through.

In and around my community, various retirement facilities have been built, yet little if any regard is given to making them animal friendly, i.e. provide special outdoor areas within easy access to the apartments. The information about the physical and psychological benefits of having a dog as one ages has been common knowledge for quite some time, but it doesn't seem to be translated into the accommodations for older people. Excuse me while I jump off my soap box. :mad:

Pam
08-24-2008, 04:19 PM
I've had this theory that assisted living and retirement facilities should be built adjacent to animal shelters. That way the human residents of the retirement facilities could have easy access to the animals and be able to provide some of the love and attention these animals need without having to accept the total responsibility for an animal at a stage in their life where they might not be able to follow through.

Excellent idea Rachel! Wouldn't that be a *win* *win* situation for everyone! When my mom was first admitted to the facility where she is, there was a resident kitty who was free to roam the halls. I have long forgotten his/her name but this kitty brought a smile to every face encountered. They estimated that he/she was 16 years old when they went to the RB, but no one can be sure as it was a rescued kitty. I see faces light up each time a dog is brought in. Ripley has come with me on a few occasions and he is a big hit. I truly believe that animals are angels in fur. :) Rachel I would love to see your idea become a reality.