PDA

View Full Version : Another overweight criminal.

RICHARD
08-22-2008, 07:21 PM
Half-Ton Suspect Poses Problem for Court
Texas (Aug. 22) - Prosecutors are trying to decide how to jail and bring to court a nearly half-ton, bedridden woman accused of killing her 2-year-old nephew.
A grand jury on Thursday indicted Mayra Lizbeth Rosales, 27, on one count of first-degree murder and on one count of injury to a child in the death of Eliseo Gonzalez Jr. She previously had been charged with capital murder.
Rosales weighs nearly 1,000 pounds and cannot fit through a door to leave her home, leaving prosecutors wondering how to bring her to court. As of Thursday evening, she was not in custody.

Hidalgo County Sheriff Lupe Trevino said holding her at the county jail for her trial would be impossible because she needs extensive medical care.
"She would die," said Trevino in Thursday's online edition of The Monitor in McAllen.
The grand jury indicted Rosales after an autopsy confirmed investigators' suspicions that the child died March 18 because he had been struck. Investigators believe the toddler was struck at least twice, crushing his head.
Authorities recommended Rosales' bond be set at $150,000.
The boy's mother Jaime Rosales, was charged earlier with injury to a child because she allegedly left her son alone with his aunt. Her bond has been set at $100.000.

Catty1
08-22-2008, 07:40 PM
House arrest with security and medical care until she loses enough weight to leave the house.

She originally said she fell on her nephew...but autopsy results showed he had been struck in the head twice.
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,24224762-401,00.html

Poor Eliseo died on March 18.

kt_luvs_kitties
08-22-2008, 11:19 PM
"She would die," said Trevino

Lets hope so!

sparks19
08-22-2008, 11:35 PM
UGH

Bring h er richard simmons and then lock her a$$ up in jail.

Killing an innocent child. makes me sick.

Twisterdog
08-23-2008, 12:15 AM
"She would die," said Trevino

... and this would be a bad thing?? ...

Catty1
09-03-2008, 10:50 AM
Picked up on this when I clicked the link on the 'too fat to be executed' story.

http://abcnews.go.com/TheLaw/wireStory?id=5662747

Lawyer: Texas Woman Too Obese to Kill
Mayra Rosales' Attorney Says the Half-Ton Woman's Movements Too Limited to Beat Nephew
EDINBURG, Texas August 26, 2008 (AP)
The Associated Press

http://a.abcnews.com/images/TheLaw/ht_Mayra-Rosales_080827_mn.jpg
Mayra Rosales
An attorney for a Texas woman accused of murder says his client is too obese to kill. Mayra Rosales, who weighs nearly 1,000 pounds and is bedridden, stands accused of killing her 2-year-old nephew.
(ABC)

A nearly half-ton Texas woman charged in the death of her toddler nephew couldn't have beaten the boy to death because of her limited movement from weight problems, her attorney said Tuesday.

Mayra Rosales, who weighs nearly 1,000 pounds, was indicted last week on capital murder charges in the death of Eliseo Gonzalez Jr. Prosecutors said the 2-year-old boy died after being struck at least twice in the head while in the care of Rosales, who is bedridden.

Jamie Rosales, the boy's 20-year-old mother, believes the death was possibly caused by the morbidly obese woman rolling onto the toddler, said Oscar Vega, her attorney. She faces one felony count of injury to a child, which carries a life sentence and 10,000 in fines.

"She doesn't believe her sister intentionally did anything to her child," Vega told The Associated Press.

A state district judge put Mayra Rosales, 27, under house arrest Monday because the county jail lacks a large enough cell or necessary medical resources. She is required to wear a global-positioning tracker until her trial.

Sergio Valdez, Mayra Rosales' attorney, said she lacks the movement in her arms to have killed the child, calling it an "impossibility."

"She is not physically capable of having committed those acts," Valdez said.

Valdez said Rosales suffers from a thyroid problem that has caused her to put on hundreds of pounds over the past three to four years and has been bedridden for more than a year.

The stress of the arrest and charges has exacerbated the poor health of Mayra Rosales, who also suffers from a "life-threatening" ailment he would not disclose, Valdez said.

"This whole ordeal has taken a very negative effect on her, emotionally and physically," Valdez said. "She wants this to be over. She wants to be vindicated."

Vega said Jamie Rosales has a learning disability and will plead not guilty.

He declined to say where his client was the day of her son's death, but said he knew of no order forbidding the boy to be watched by his aunt.

Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

kt_luvs_kitties
09-03-2008, 05:41 PM
Hmm. Lets think about this.. She is NOT to fat to keep lifting that hoagie to her mouth, her abilities are not THAT limited! Not buying it!:rolleyes:

I say prosecute, throw her in jail, and throw away the key.

Catty1
09-03-2008, 06:11 PM
Valdez said Rosales suffers from a thyroid problem that has caused her to put on hundreds of pounds over the past three to four years and has been bedridden for more than a year.

The stress of the arrest and charges has exacerbated the poor health of Mayra Rosales, who also suffers from a "life-threatening" ailment he would not disclose, Valdez said.

I don't see anything about too much food there...

lizbud
09-03-2008, 06:23 PM
The child's mother showed very poor judgement leaving a toddler with a
woman who can't take care of herself, let alone a small child.

RICHARD
09-03-2008, 07:43 PM
Feed her unitl she explodes.

kt_luvs_kitties
09-03-2008, 11:57 PM
NOONE gets to 1000 pounds (half of a ton) from a thyroid problem!

She MUST eat too much, move to little, or have the biggest/heaviest tumor that consumes her ENTIRE body to be that big:p

I know thyroid issues can cause weight gain, but I HIGHLY doubt it causes half a ton of fat to accumulate;)

kt_luvs_kitties
09-03-2008, 11:59 PM
Wanted to add: I am sensitive to issues of weight. I know women and men struggle with that everyday. It is a shame. I myself wish I could lose 15 pounds:rolleyes:

BUT for a child killer, no sympathy from me!

Catty1
09-27-2008, 07:40 PM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/28040274.html

Lynn Brezosky - Express-News

EDINBURG — Mayra Lizbeth Rosales, the nearly 1,000-pound woman under house arrest and accused of killing her 2-year-old nephew, waived her arraignment and court appearance Monday on capital murder and other charges.

State District Judge Ricardo Rodriguez readily accepted the waiver and not-guilty pleas because of the logistical problems of transporting Rosales to court, saying guidelines allowed waivers to be considered on a case-by-case basis.

But Rodriguez made clear a trial would require Rosales' physical presence. He said he understood a number of issues would have to be worked out.

“This is a human being that we're dealing with, but there is a victim as well,” he said. “But I'm not going to make it a circus.”

Defense Attorney Sergio Valdez appeared in court alongside Dr. Jetta Brown, a physician who has been attending to Rosales at her Sullivan City apartment. Valdez asked that Brown be brought in as an expert witness and medical consultant should the case go to trial.

Rosales was arrested and charged at her home in March with allegedly striking deadly blows to the head and upper body of 2-year-old Eliseo Gonzalez Jr.

A grand jury last month indicted her on one count each of capital murder, murder, and injury to a child.

The child's mother, Jamie Lee Rosales, was indicted on a count of injury to a child for leaving him in Mayra Rosales' care despite a Child Protective Services order not to.

Valdez has said Mayra Rosales, 27, suffers from myxedema, a thyroid disease that caused her to swell from about 220 pounds to her current bedridden state in only a few years. He said the disease also has affected her reflexes such that she could not have struck the child as alleged.

“We're saying she didn't do it,” he told reporters Monday. “She's just not physically capable.”

shepgirl
09-27-2008, 07:57 PM
I don't think she woiuld have the strength or energy to lift her arm and beat a child to death. As for the thyroid problem, I've read about some very extreme cases where nothing will control the weight no matter what is done. his woman is probably suffering from lack of oxygen to the brain and other organs and heart problems as well. And don't forget with that kind of edema the brain cannot function properly . I really would like to hear all the facts before condemning her. I think the possibility of rolling on the child is very real.

RICHARD
09-27-2008, 07:58 PM
“This is a human being that we're dealing with, but there is a victim as well,” he said. “But I'm not going to make it a circus.”

Um,
You already have the clowns who aren't going to drag her to court, what else do you need? A tent?

NOONE gets to 1000 pounds (half of a ton) from a thyroid problem!

How insensitive can YOU be?

How do you know that she doesn't have a 910 pound thyroid?:rolleyes:

------------

ICHC?

http://a.abcnews.com/images/TheLaw/ht_Mayra-Rosales_080827_mn.jpg

Can I haz more cheezeburger?:(

Catty1
09-27-2008, 08:41 PM
http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=19712

When a person presents with myxedema coma, the body temperature is usually abnormally low (hypothermia). In many patients, the core temperature may be as low as 80F (26.6C). They may have severe mental changes including hallucinations, disorientation, seizures, and ultimately, deep coma. The patient may have significant swelling (edema) all over the body with swollen eyes, thickening of the tongue, sparse, dry hair, and loss of the outer thirds of the eyebrows. Patients can also have difficulty breathing. There may be collections of fluid around the lungs and heart (pleural effusion and pericardial effusions). The heart may slow down and its ability to pump blood forward can be impaired. The gastrointestinal tract does not function well and in some cases it becomes paralyzed, thereby necessitating surgery. Blood test abnormalities can be seen and often are a result of the increased fluid in the body. For example, sodium levels drop because of dilution, which is caused by the body retaining extra water.

Look up myxedema on Google...I didn't find any info on that or hypothyroidism that indicates the amount of weight gain/edema, but given that there is enough going on to produce the myxedema coma, which can be fatal, gaining 1,000 lbs would not surprise me.

RICHARD
09-27-2008, 08:52 PM
http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=19712

Look up myxedema on Google...I didn't find any info on that or hypothyroidism that indicates the amount of weight gain/edema, but given that there is enough going on to produce the myxedema coma, which can be fatal, gaining 1,000 lbs would not surprise me.

Fast med terminology course?

Hypo means under or lower

Hyper meand over or above

She would have hyperthyroidism.

A Myxoma is a soft tumor and edema is a fluid swelling of tissue.

Catty1
09-27-2008, 11:45 PM
Yes, hypo does mean 'under' - and when I searched out hypothyroidism, I came across myxedema. It seems to occur in very severe cases of hypothyroidism.

People with untreated hypo - or treated hyper - have weight gain as a side effect.

As her lawyer says:
Valdez has said Mayra Rosales, 27, suffers from myxedema, a thyroid disease that caused her to swell from about 220 pounds to her current bedridden state in only a few years.

I was trying to find out more about it...there is a tibular (sp?) and a pituitary kind...Google Images was a bit more helpful on this. I got the impression that the edema plus the slower metabolism work together to make the person HUGE. And - it's not always treatable.

RICHARD, maybe you would have the info I was looking for. Average weight gain of someone with this condition?

blue
09-27-2008, 11:46 PM
Has Jerry Springer been informed?

Catty1
09-27-2008, 11:46 PM
He'd have to take the crew THERE...and it would be a tad crowded! :p

blue
09-27-2008, 11:50 PM
So maybe Heraldo Rivera guy then.

RICHARD
09-28-2008, 03:24 AM
Yes, hypo does mean 'under' - and when I searched out hypothyroidism, I came across myxedema. It seems to occur in very severe cases of hypothyroidism.

People with untreated hypo - or treated hyper - have weight gain as a side effect.

As her lawyer says:

I was trying to find out more about it...there is a tibular (sp?) and a pituitary kind...Google Images was a bit more helpful on this. I got the impression that the edema plus the slower metabolism work together to make the person HUGE. And - it's not always treatable.

RICHARD, maybe you would have the info I was looking for. Average weight gain of someone with this condition?

With illnesses there isn't an average!:eek:

The weight is dependent on the person, type of tumor and many other reasons.

Hypothyroidism could be from a tumor around the thyroid, or a tumor of the thyroid.

I'm not a doctor! It sounds like the myxoma/edema is around the thyroid and is squeezing it into not producing Thyroid Juice-LOL, I have forgotten my anatomy/phyisology lessons!

The thyroid juice helps promote metabolism.

A direct tumor can have both effects on a thyroid, too much juice and not enough!

Anyway, sounds like she has a mass/tumor in her neck that is squeezing her thyroid, thus the huge weight gain.

This is just a guess!

P.S.

You have four lobes to a thryroid, the top left and right are parathyroids and the bottoms are just regular!

Catty1
09-28-2008, 10:48 AM
Well, I guess if there are two on top, they'd HAVE to be a "pair a' thyroids". :D
(ducks to avoid crumpled sheets of paper):p

RICHARD
09-28-2008, 06:18 PM
Well, I guess if there are two on top, they'd HAVE to be a "pair a' thyroids". :D
(ducks to avoid crumpled sheets of paper):p

LOL, that is one way to remember anatomical stuff...

DUCK!:)

Sevaede
09-28-2008, 06:46 PM
I was under the impression that people with hypothyroidism tend to be underweight and hyperthyroidism leads to being overweight? :confused:

jennielynn1970
09-28-2008, 09:30 PM
If she's 1000 lbs, and can hardly move, what was the point of putting her on house arrest?? Isn't that kind of redundant?

Where did it say she had some kind of disease that she was in a coma, or is that just pure conjecture? (Candace)

RICHARD
09-28-2008, 10:17 PM
I was under the impression that people with hypothyroidism tend to be underweight and hyperthyroidism leads to being overweight? :confused:

Hyperthyroidism is the increased function of the gland. It makes more thyroid juice and that increases the MR and keeps a persons weight down.

IT is a little misleading!:eek:

Catty1
09-28-2008, 11:08 PM
Jenn - from her lawyer:
Valdez has said Mayra Rosales, 27, suffers from myxedema, a thyroid disease that caused her to swell from about 220 pounds to her current bedridden state in only a few years.

jennielynn1970
09-29-2008, 06:30 AM
Is this something that could have been controlled and taken care of if she had health care? Does she have adequate health care (or did she)?

What are the odds that she'd be in this position if it had been treated properly when they found she had the thyroid condition?

Many people in this country are limited with their health care because they can't afford it. I wonder if that was part of the initial problem.

Still doesn't change the fact that the child died, and that's just horrible.

Still think the house arrest is redundant. She's 1000 lbs. I doubt she's walking to the neighborhood bodega for a snack. :rolleyes:

RICHARD
09-29-2008, 07:06 AM
Still think the house arrest is redundant. She's 1000 lbs. I doubt she's walking to the neighborhood bodega for a snack. :rolleyes:

I kinda bet she's Mexican and probably would walk to the tienda, not a bodega for a snack.;) Bodegas are mostly styled after S.A./ Central Am./Caribbean places of business.

THere are a few ways to treat the thyroid condition. The weight is a 'by-product' of it.

One of the problems with living in the 21st century is we have an 'easy' out look when it comes to HC. Before a hernia, gall bladder removal, baby delivery were three, four day hospital stays. I watched those stays shrink to almost 24 hours and in some cases women have a baby in the morning and go home in the afternoon.

Do not be fooled into believing that any disease or condition can be treated in a 48 minute time frame, like on TV. We are lulled into that fast fix because of the media, the strides taken to improve HC and the progress made by the pharmceutical manufacturers.

Catty1
09-29-2008, 09:46 AM
There are some forms of myxedema that are not treatable. Or thyroxine meds are tried, but are ineffective.

Could she even afford them at the time?

jennielynn1970
09-30-2008, 02:21 AM
I kinda bet she's Mexican and probably would walk to the tienda, not a bodega for a snack.;) Bodegas are mostly styled after S.A./ Central Am./Caribbean places of business.

Do not be fooled into believing that any disease or condition can be treated in a 48 minute time frame, like on TV. We are lulled into that fast fix because of the media, the strides taken to improve HC and the progress made by the pharmceutical manufacturers.

Oy, Richard. I wasn't even trying to link it to where she was from, lol. I call the little shop down the block from me a bodega, and it's not from central america or anything. It just this little market. I'll have to remember Tienda, not familiar with that term yet. I think most of our hispanics in this area are Puerto Rica, Cuba, Dominican Rep., and Jamaica (lots of Africans too... as in from the continent).

My thought about the health care was that, did she not have any before she gained all that weight? did she not have access?? Was there no way to treat her till she got to the point where it's almost something terminal?? It's sad.

As for affording them, Candace, if she came here from Mexico, and got papers and all that and got her Medicaid card, she would have been allowed medical treatment. Not sure how much they get, but I know they can get medical treatment when necessary. Just like they get Foodstamps to cover all their kids, their families, and the other 5 kdis they're going to decide to have over the next 4 years so they can stay on foodstamps and get free care.

Don't get me started on that.

shepgirl
09-30-2008, 09:07 AM
What does her race have to do with it? We have people born in our own country who live on welfare, housed bu our government, and get foodstamps.Their kids are also taken care of by our tax dollars and so are their house full of pets I might add. So, Mexican, Chinese. Canadian or U.S. citizen has nothing to do with her health or if she did commit a crime...