PDA

View Full Version : SKUNK! HOW do I convince him to relocate?

Freedom
08-22-2008, 02:39 PM
Seems a skunk had taken up residence under my shed in the back yard. Now, he (she?) COULD be under my neighbor's shed. The sheds are close, less than 5 feet apart, with a stockgde fence between. One of my cucumbers was half eaten, so even if he is not living in this yard, he is EATING here. The cukes are all done, now.

Assuming he is under MY shed, how do I convince him to relocate? For some reason, I think I am supposed to put moth balls under the shed to make him move?

The weather has been glorious, upper 70's, low humidity, and we have all the windows wide open. This morning we had just started breakfast and . . . the AROMA had us gagging! The dogs were all inside, so that isn't what set him off, either.

I'm fairly sure he is under MY shed, because when the dogs are out there, they are hanging out sniffing the edges of the shed. Normally they could care less.

Any suggestions appreciated!

lvpets2002
08-22-2008, 02:44 PM
:love: Well here you go.. Set some dogfood on the porch.. I realy dont know other than call Game Warden to live trap & relocate..

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b335/lvpets2002/image001.jpg

Freedom
08-22-2008, 02:48 PM
Ha ha, I am laughing out loud here! I was really hoping to avoid tomato baths for the fluffs! RED bichons? :eek::D

lvpets2002
08-22-2008, 02:53 PM
:love: Oh come on be brave on this one.. Hey red Bichons might be Cute.. Just kidding.. I would prob call the Game Warden & get them to live trap & relocate.. Just remember skunks can carry rabies.. You sure dont want your pups near this baby..
Ha ha, I am laughing out loud here! I was really hoping to avoid tomato baths for the fluffs! RED bichons? :eek::D

Taz_Zoee
08-22-2008, 03:05 PM
Check out this (http://www.howtogetridofstuff.com/pest-control/how-to-get-rid-of-skunks/) site.
It basically says to remove anything that would entice the skunk to visit your yard. And in your case I guess it's the cucumbers, which isn't on the list of foods skunks supposedly like.
There are lots of ideas, I hope you find one that works for you.
Good luck!! :)

lvpets2002
08-22-2008, 03:29 PM
:love: Now Sandy what I would not want you to have to deal with is if a Mother Skunk has had some Kitts under that shed.. That might be harder to get them gone then..

Medusa
08-22-2008, 05:30 PM
:love: Now Sandy what I would not want you to have to deal with is if a Mother Skunk has had some Kitts under that shed.. That might be harder to get them gone then..

That's exactly what I was wondering, if she may be pregnant. A skunk came up on my porch and fed right next to the ferals at my other house and even slept in one of the houses that I had set up for the cats. She never bothered them, never sprayed and one day she was walking across my yard w/her babies so close to her that I thought "That's the biggest skunk I've ever seen!" until I realized it was mama w/her 3 babies. So she may be pregnant and is getting ready to give birth. When mine did, she left shortly thereafter, so yours may, too.

Freedom
08-22-2008, 06:43 PM
Check out this (http://www.howtogetridofstuff.com/pest-control/how-to-get-rid-of-skunks/) site.

THANK YOU!

I bet it is the compost pile which attracted him initially. :rolleyes:

columbine
08-22-2008, 10:51 PM
You could try skunk repellent (http://www.critter-repellent.com/skunk/skunk-repellant.php). It's basically just fox pee granules, but it's money back guaranteed if it doesn't work.

Love, Columbine

Pam
08-23-2008, 06:16 AM
Ii don't have any suggestions other than like has been mentioned to possibly call someone within your township and they can direct you to the right person. We had a squirrel in our attic once and the township directed us to a man who specializes in squirrel removal. He came and set a trap on the roof, as she was jumping from the trees and coming in through the attic fan. Several days after she was caught we noticed a bad smell coming from the attic. You guessed it - she had two babies up there that we didn't know about and they had died. Hubby went up and found them. :(

I hope you get the skunk before one of the pups gets sprayed. One of my RB poodles got sprayed full in the face once through the slats of the picket fence behind our yard. Her eyes were soooo red and she stunk. The vet recommended using an over-the-counter baking soda douche product for her bath. :o

Freedom
08-23-2008, 09:05 AM
Isn't it late for babies?

Medusa
08-23-2008, 09:54 AM
Isn't it late for babies?

My late senior friend Helen told me that skunks mate in February and March and have their babies in May and June and that it takes a couple of months before the babies mature. So I imagine she could still have her babies w/her; I'm not sure, though.

Something else just occurred to me: Helen's late husband George told me that when a skunk hangs around, s/he's probably sick and dying. I had a skunk follow me when I lived on acreage and it was as though s/he was waiting for me. I was afraid because at that time I had a Border Collie that I feared would go after it. George told me that the skunk was probably dying and, sure enough, one morning I went outside and found the poor little thing dead in my yard.

JuniorxMyxLove
08-23-2008, 09:56 AM
you can borrow Sadie :) She got sprayed once at the beginning of the summer, but after that, all skunks have stayed far away from our yard XD

Pam
08-23-2008, 09:59 AM
http://pleasebekind.com/skunk.html

Good site. She could still have had a late litter. Also tells you how to safely displace them.

When it is safe to displace skunks, mild harassment can be very effective. First try repacking the hole the skunk is using with leaves or other material to see if it will get the message and move elsewhere. If this fails, place ammonia-soaked rags near or inside the burrow to one side so that the skunk has to pass them to get in and out. Make sure the skunk is not close by before taking either of these measures.

Freedom
08-23-2008, 05:41 PM
Thanks again for all this info!

Cinder & Smoke
08-23-2008, 06:00 PM
Make sure the skunk is not close by before taking either of these measures.

That part sounds kinda *Important*! :p

I always thought there were SOME Critters ya just shouldn't ottta *mess with*!
SKUNQUES were always on that list.

:D