PDA

View Full Version : Grooming Job

wolf_Q
09-06-2002, 04:10 PM
Well I've been looking for a job for quite a while now. Problem is, I'm a total chicken, and submitting applications really doesn't do much for you. Well then I heard that Petco was hiring for a groomer. So I submitted an application, and have been annoying them with phone calls lol. Finallly the manager told me to come and talk to him today. He basically told me I was insane to want to work this job, because it only pays $6 an hour, and the hours change often. I'd have to start as a bath and brusher. He said "Have you ever been yelled at?" Lol, well I DID work at a gas station (for $5.75 an hour mind you). Customers come in and complain about everything including how high the tax is! (oh yeah like we can change that!) He said I must at least have some experience if I'd had to bath a siberian husky (lol actually the 9 pound poodle is by far the worst). Anyway, I don't actually have the job, but he said to come and talk to him Monday morning. Wish me luck! Right now I am so poor I will take any job I can get! I just hope I will be able to open my mouth. For those of you that have been shy all of your lives, you should know how I feel!

manda99
09-06-2002, 04:36 PM
Good luck! :)

Andie
09-06-2002, 04:44 PM
Good luck!

DoggiesAreTheBest
09-06-2002, 07:25 PM
Best of Luck to you! I hope you get the job. It may be fun at times and at times, it may not. But most jobs are like that.

Keep us updated!

Dixie Belle
09-06-2002, 07:33 PM
Best of luck!

Vermontcat
09-06-2002, 07:45 PM
It sounds like fun getting to work with animals! And you sure have experience with 3 dogs at home to groom! Just talk to the animals, they listen better than most people anyway!:)

Sara luvs her Tinky
09-06-2002, 08:50 PM
Sounds like an awesome job!!!
Good luck!
I wish I didn't have so many bills to pay and I would be a groomer in a heartbeat!! ;)
Keep us posted!! AND HUGS TO THE PUPS!

anna_66
09-07-2002, 06:33 AM
Amy, Congrats & the best of luck to you in getting the job!

Rachel
09-07-2002, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by wolf_Q
I just hope I will be able to open my mouth. For those of you that have been shy all of your lives, you should know how I feel!

Well, I am one of them and I do know of what you speak. Even at my age, I find it difficult to as you say *open my mouth*. Be respectful of others, your employer and your customers, but don't be afraid to trust your own judgement on matters and speak up if necessary. Even though you are young, you have quite a bit of experience with dogs. Good luck. I hope you enjoy your new job. It might be the beginning of a career. The groomer to whom I take Hannah and Tucker charges 39.00 a dog. She works out of a grooming shop which is one room in her home and she supports herself and her son.

turner
09-07-2002, 09:25 AM
Good Luck to you Wolf_Q

That job is no different, you get yelled at in every job where it involves customers.

I am a customer service rep (at the moment but looking for something else) and I get yelled at on a daily basis!

*LabLoverKEB*
09-07-2002, 04:46 PM
Amy, I wish you the best of luck with getting the job! Sounds like a fun job, to me!:) ;)

wolf_Q
09-09-2002, 04:41 PM
Yay! It's official: I am now a Dog Bath and Brusher at Petco. :D I start on Wednesday at 12! I hope I won't do too horribly. :rolleyes: I wonder if I'll get Petco discounts? That'd be sweeeeet. :p

Cookiebaker
09-09-2002, 07:57 PM
Oooh best of luck! Hope you get the job!! That sounds like an awesome job--the best part is you can tell a dog ANYTHING and they never ever tell--even if you tell him how AWFUL & ROTTEN & MEAN the boss is! :D

anna_66
09-09-2002, 08:48 PM
I'm sure you'll do a great job:D

sammi
09-09-2002, 09:12 PM
You will do great! You love dogs so it should be fun (part of the time). Happy for you!:p

AdoreMyDogs
09-09-2002, 09:30 PM
Yay Amy! Good job! Congrats on the new job, and I am keeping my fingers crossed that you get Petco discounts :) That would be a neat added perk, huh?

Sara luvs her Tinky
09-10-2002, 12:13 AM
CONGRATULATIONS AMY!!!!
I am sure you will love your job! Keep us posted on how it is working out for you!! :D

Uabassoon
09-10-2002, 12:24 AM
Congrats!! When I woked at Petco I got a discount, so I don't see why you wouldn't. THe only bad thing was when i worked there I spent all my paychecks on stuff for my cats.

DoggiesAreTheBest
09-10-2002, 06:20 AM
Congrats on the new job!!! I knew you could do it! Now, aren't you glad you "opened" your mouth? :D

Have fun!

Dixieland Dancer
09-10-2002, 08:30 AM
Congratulations Amy! I am happy for you. I just want to encourage you though not to forget your natural God given talents as an artist. You have been blessed beyond what the normal person can do and it would be a shame if you didn't continue to nurture them.

Albea
09-10-2002, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by Dixieland Dancer
Congratulations Amy! I am happy for you. I just want to encourage you though not to forget your natural God given talents as an artist. You have been blessed beyond what the normal person can do and it would be a shame if you didn't continue to nurture them.
I could have written that myself. I couldn't agree with Candy more.
Anyway, congratulations, and try to have fun in your new job.

wolf_Q
09-10-2002, 12:37 PM
Congrats!! When I woked at Petco I got a discount, so I don't see why you wouldn't. THe only bad thing was when i worked there I spent all my paychecks on stuff for my cats.

Ooh sweet, how much of a discount did you get? I swear I read in that freaking 50 page stack of papers that I could get 20% off the vaccines...that would be nice...I want to get the giardia one done, I was going to last weekend, but it was $18 and I didn't even have that much with me. I think I'll be spending all of my paychecks on the dogs too, eek!

I know how you feel! I'm one of those "shy" girls that can't get a word out of my mouth in front of people I don't know well! I talk a lot with my friends, and even more with my family! When I spend the night at my aunt's house, my cousin has to tell me to STOP talking because I talk so much she can't sleep! But in front of people I don't know, I a totally different person. I've even had people ask me why don't I talk ! Its so embarrassing! Someone once asked me that in front of my cousin, and she just burst out laughing! I don't know why I'm so shy, but I can't get over being a shy kid. My mom says its better to be shy because people that are too open especially during their teens, often get into trouble. Oh well, I guess I'll stick with being shy. Its just me! LOL! And good luck with your job! Sounds like fun!

Yep, that is completely me. Around friends, I talk all the time. But when I get around people I don't know, it's like there's some wall in front of me. I just...can't...talk. Now my brother is one of those open, funny, people and he's always saying...Oh it's not that hard! YES, it is! Being shy when you are young is ok, but it really sucks when it comes to life in the "real" world.

Thank you, Candy. :) I'll be emailing you another pic of the sketch today. I don't ever want to forget art, but lately I've been getting really discouraged in that also. The end of the last school year.... I did get the Sterling Scholar in art, which was an honor, but of course I didn't get to move on. My drawing didn't get accepted into the High School Art Show. I didn't get an art scholarship to the University of Utah. And the AP Art test, which I worked my butt off all year for....I passed, but with a 3. :( The highest is 5. I didn't get the Art Department award, like I did last year. Ok so I did actually win a few art awards last year too, but you know how it is...you can only focus on the bad. I know there are a lot of people that like animal art, but the "art world" doesn't really consider it "real" art. I don't do abstract...I don't know how. Well, now I'm starting to ramble, so I will shut up now...Even if I never get a real career in art, I'll always keep my Pet Portraits website going. :D

lovemymaltese
09-10-2002, 01:26 PM
Best of luck to ya! :) :)