PDA

View Full Version : sleep apnea

davidpizzica
08-20-2008, 05:36 AM
Has anyone taken a test for sleep apnea? I'll be taking one soon. I've never taken one before. I'm curious about what happens during the test.

Craftlady
08-20-2008, 08:13 AM
My friend just had the test done. If you can stand lots of wires attached to the body it will be no problem. If you have to potty after they get things hooked up, you have to use call button to have them help you to bathroom. Not bad thing just anoying. They ended the test at 6 a.m. in the morning, woke her up and said "are you ready to go home". She grabbed a cup of coffee from the nurses station on the way out. :)

4 Dog Mother
08-20-2008, 09:01 AM
I have taken one. They attach all these wires to you, video tape you while you are sleeping. My doctor wants you to sleep on your back which is something I don't do much of. They can talk to you without coming in the room and I know they awoke me at least once so I would lay on my back again. (not all doctors insist on this). They wake you up early and send you home. (my room had a shower in it but I just wanted to go home). I didn't feel like I slept well at all.

They study the tape and you go back again and try out one of their machine called a c-pack. The first night all the wires etc. show them how often you quit breathing, etc. I quite breathing 47 times each hour. This time they hook you up again but you are now using the machine. I had trouble falling asleep with this thing on my face. So they gave me a sleeping pill. I made it through the night but did not want to get up and go home. The bed was quite comfortable, the person you deal with is quite nice. The only time I saw the rest of the group was on arrival because we had to wait until the doors opened. The second time I was late arriving so I ended up not seeing anyone. It is not a "fun" experience but it is not a "bad" one either.

Daisy and Delilah
08-20-2008, 10:21 AM
My son just completed his testing. David, if he could get through it, I know you'll do great. My son is so opposed to anything like that. He told me he learned so much about sleep from the technician, he even started sleeping better after he had been there(he has really bad insomnia too). This was before his machine came in.
Now, he has his machine. He's having trouble getting used to it but he's feeling alot better after the whole experience. He puts the machine on every night and keeps it on even though he's getting adjusted to it.

I think he realized that sleep apnea is very dangerous and it was a matter of doing it or maybe having something happen that none of us wanted to think about. Best wishes with it!!

davidpizzica
08-20-2008, 11:17 AM
My son just completed his testing. David, if he could get through it, I know you'll do great. My son is so opposed to anything like that. He told me he learned so much about sleep from the technician, he even started sleeping better after he had been there(he has really bad insomnia too). This was before his machine came in.
Now, he has his machine. He's having trouble getting used to it but he's feeling alot better after the whole experience. He puts the machine on every night and keeps it on even though he's getting adjusted to it.

I think he realized that sleep apnea is very dangerous and it was a matter of doing it or maybe having something happen that none of us wanted to think about. Best wishes with it!!

Oh boy, another test! Terry, they will be calling me about where to go and the other details. Hopefully they can do it at a place near to my house.

Daisy and Delilah
08-20-2008, 01:19 PM
David, it's been one thing right after another for you. You've turned into a professional medical victim. Then, your car breaks down. How is the car? Did they find out what the problem was? I'm keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. You need some good luck. Enough of this other nonsense!!

The sleep apnea test will be inconvenient but it could save your life and change alot of things. My son was floored to hear how many people are sleep deprived because of SA. The tech was telling him of all the great things that can happen after you get your sleep regulated. He told him his enitre quality of life would improve. I can't argue with that.

momoffuzzyfaces
08-20-2008, 01:54 PM
David, it's been one thing right after another for you. You've turned into a professional medical victim.

Would that be a lab rat? ;) Sorry, David. I know it's not funny. I hope you feel lots better real soon. Prayers on the way! :love:

lvpets2002
08-20-2008, 04:08 PM
Would that be a lab rat? ;) Sorry, David. I know it's not funny. I hope you feel lots better real soon. Prayers on the way! :love:

:p No for David its more like Lab Mice.. The micess did a number on his car wiring.. Just kinding David.. Hey you could send those mice to take the test for you.. Best of Luck & Great Wishes..

davidpizzica
08-20-2008, 04:15 PM
David, it's been one thing right after another for you. You've turned into a professional medical victim. Then, your car breaks down. How is the car? Did they find out what the problem was? I'm keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. You need some good luck. Enough of this other nonsense!!

The sleep apnea test will be inconvenient but it could save your life and change alot of things. My son was floored to hear how many people are sleep deprived because of SA. The tech was telling him of all the great things that can happen after you get your sleep regulated. He told him his enitre quality of life would improve. I can't argue with that.

Terry, you're right. My medical history is beginning to be as long as War and Peace! One good piece of luck is that I have the car back and running perfectly. You wouldn't believe what the problem was. MICE! Somehow they got in under the hood and CHEWED through six wires. Unfortunately mice chewn wires aren't covered in the warranty, so I had to pay $257.95 for the bill. I'm really curious to find out about my sleep. That could be a part of most of my problems.

Daisy and Delilah
08-20-2008, 05:35 PM
I just responded to the other car thread.

My Mom had to have some expensive repairs done several months ago because some squirrels got under her car and chewed some wires. Luckily, her warranty covered it. My Mom is a little forgetful at times and we thought she was making it up. After awhile, I heard of more cases like that. Every day, three or four times, she goes down to her car from her apartment and checks for squirrels. You just never know what can happen.