PDA

View Full Version : a raccoon in my trap

davidpizzica
08-19-2008, 05:33 PM
I have a raccoon in my humane trap I set for Nikki. He is thoroughly irate and p-oed! Tomorrow I'll call a person who can deal with him. I don't dare touch him myself!

Karen
08-19-2008, 05:42 PM
Yikes - maybe Animal Control has an after-hours number? Poor thing must be really mad!

Hellow
08-19-2008, 05:43 PM
Oh heck, raccoons arent mean :b. I would just walk over there and unlock the trap. :cool:

Freedom
08-19-2008, 06:00 PM
Youc an do it, David!

Stand over the trap, straddle it. Reach forward and open the front door. Raccoon is running AWAY from you and you are BOTH happy!

Wonder if it is the same one you caught last time? If so, no wonder he is mad! He fell for the bait AGAIN!

If you really don't want to do it, place a towel over the trap, it will help calm him down.

lizbud
08-19-2008, 06:26 PM
Oh heck, raccoons arent mean :b. I would just walk over there and unlock the trap. :cool:

That's right. The raccoon is more afraid of you that you are leary of him.
It will just run off.

Catty1
08-19-2008, 07:54 PM
Did you let your neighbours know to watch for Nikki???? The notes, like Phred suggested?

Hope she is back soon.

KYS
08-19-2008, 08:53 PM
Did you let the raccoon go?

sumbirdy
08-19-2008, 10:46 PM

Well they are if they're cornered. I know this isn't a situation where it is cornered but still, with it being mad, I probably wouldn't dare open it myself either.

jennielynn1970
08-19-2008, 11:36 PM
I second that one.

Raccoons can be really nasty if they are threatened or scared or mad. Full grown, they are not small animals, and they can do some major damage to animals.

I'd wait until animal control got there to release it. Be safe, rather than sorry. Rabies is a risk as well with raccoons.

shais_mom
08-19-2008, 11:56 PM
I agree - they aren't mean but they are if its sick or cornered and pinned.
My dad was in a man lift with one once and it was really peeved when he got out!
:mad:
But I also don't agree with leaving the poor thing in a trap over nite.
I hope you got it out before morning. It would be like you locked in the bathroom for 20 some hours.

Emeraldgreen
08-20-2008, 01:46 AM
We used to feed dry dog food kibble to a whole bunch of raccoons living in a ravine in Toronto when I was a kid. They were fairly friendly but of course we had food for them on a regular basis so that's probably why.
I suppose if this raccoon is angry already it might be a problem but I would think if you could get behind the trap and open it he/she would be mainly focused on exiting the trap and getting the he** out of there. ;)
Raccoons and cats have been known to get into nasty scraps. I wonder if Nikki has come across this raccoon. It might be the reason she is not coming out of hiding. She could be spooked or injured. Do you have a garage that you could leave slightly open that Nikki could sneak into when she feels up to it? Or maybe a basement window during the day? I know that you might end up with the raccoon again but it might be worth trying if it meant that Nikki might come back inside.

Medusa
08-20-2008, 06:18 AM
I guess it would depend on when the raccoon went into the trap. I was taught that they're nocturnal, so if he went into the trap during the day, he may be sick and/or rabid, so steer clear from the poor, scared little guy until Animal Control can assess the situation.

shais_mom
08-20-2008, 04:48 PM
did you get the raccoon out of the trap?
have you seen Nikki again?
an update would be appreciated.

davidpizzica
08-20-2008, 06:56 PM
did you get the raccoon out of the trap?
have you seen Nikki again?
an update would be appreciated.

I'm sorry I didn't update this sooner, but with running around to various Drs. apppointments I didn't have the chance. No, I only saw her that once, but at least I know she's alive. I (with the help of a friend) was able to free the raccoon. We lifted the front of thhe trap up and tied it open with wire ties and we backed away and he walked out of the trap himself. He still snarled at us, but realized that he could leave and left.

shais_mom
08-20-2008, 07:21 PM
that's good that the raccoon left AND left you alone.
I'm sure Nikki is just scared - and maybe she found a boyfriend.
:)

davidpizzica
08-20-2008, 07:42 PM
that's good that the raccoon left AND left you alone.
I'm sure Nikki is just scared - and maybe she found a boyfriend.
:)

Hey, I never thought of that! She might be shacking up with a big handsome male cat!

Hellow
08-20-2008, 07:44 PM
Hey, I never thought of that! She might be shacking up with a big handsome male cat!
Lol, and they may come back married :b.