PDA

View Full Version : new "pedipaw" product???

MuttMomXOXO
08-19-2008, 08:56 AM
Hey!

Has anyone out there tried this new "pedipaw" product? It's like a battery operated nail file for cats and dogs... seems like a good idea but I figured I would see if anyone has actually tried using something like this. I have two big dogs and they hate having their nails clipped but I don't know how they would react to a file. My Juno would most likely try to attack it like he does to the brushes I use to groom him with! Any thoughts???

https://www.buypedipaws.com/Default.aspx?mid=510223

lvpets2002
08-19-2008, 09:16 AM
:) Welcome to Pet Talk & enjoy all the talks & pics.. About the pedipaw now I have not tried.. I have seen the TV advertisments.. My dogs digg plenty to keep their nails trimed.. And I just tip trim my cats with their clippers.. I think the pedipaw is more for dogs..

Taz_Zoee
08-19-2008, 09:28 AM
This is like the peticure device. And I wanted to try it. I was very tempted to purchase this right now, but I'd rather wait and see what people say about it.
Then again, it's only $20. Maybe I'll get it and give you MY review. :)

ETA: I just ordered it. I hope I'm not wasting my $. One thing that I didn't like was after you order it you have to go through a few screens asking if you want to purchase an additional one at half the cost. Then another screen asking if you want to upgrade to the deluxe model. Then another screen asking if you want to purchase refils. Then ANOTHER screen asking if you want to purchase Urine Gone. I almost just backed out and didn't order. I don't like those things doing that.
Oh, and the yes button is HUGE compared to the wittle bitty no button.:mad:

moosmom
08-19-2008, 11:44 AM
What kind of caught my attention with the commercials for it was it was mostly used on dogs. I don't know what kind of noise it makes. If it makes any kind of weird wizzing noise, my cats will freak.

Let us know how you like it and what it's like.

Daisy and Delilah
08-19-2008, 11:54 AM
I've seen the commercial for it. I can't wait to hear how it works. It could save alot of alot of time and worry :D

Giselle
08-19-2008, 12:00 PM
I prefer the original Dremel. Gives you more flexibility to shave down the sides of the nail as well as the front, whereas Pedipaw and Peticure are more limited.

lvpets2002
08-19-2008, 12:05 PM
I prefer the original Dremel. Gives you more flexibility to shave down the sides of the nail as well as the front, whereas Pedipaw and Peticure are more limited.

:) Yes at my Vets we use the original Dremel.. Now what I am wondering is; is this pedipaw pretty much a dremel with a shield?? See I can't tell by the commercials if its just a hand file or by battery..

MuttMomXOXO
08-19-2008, 12:06 PM
Yes, please let me know how it works! I am very anxious to know!!! I'm afraid that my dogs will try to attack it if it makes any kind of noise. They are very friendly dogs but things like that usually freak them out.

Giselle.... do you mean a Dremel like the one for minor carpentry work? I have one of those but never thought about using it as a nail file... wouldn't it be to powerful???

slleipnir
08-19-2008, 12:19 PM
I ordered one a little while ago for Zeke. His nails grow like weeds and he is very hard to clip with regular clippers (he's really afraid of it) so I hope this will work ok...

Taz_Zoee
08-19-2008, 12:38 PM
I am hoping it's not too loud. I don't think Zoee would like that. But she'll probably tolerate it because it's her mommy doing it. *fingers crossed* And I'll take it slow to get her used to it. Afterall, she deals with loud music in the house (we stay in the bedroom).
I'm also wondering if the shield is removable. I guess we shall see.
slleipnir, you will get yours first, so let us know how you like it. :)

K9soul
08-19-2008, 12:50 PM
I really like my little dremel tool for the dogs' nails. I haven't tried this new product myself but I saw someone else say it just didn't have the power and versatility of the dremel. It may do the job though if the nails aren't too tough.

Husky_mom
08-19-2008, 12:53 PM
I am also very tempted to get one... but wanted to know a lil more about it... from people that have used it...;)

and after that I need to see if I can get it over here... because shipping might get $$$....

MuttMomXOXO
08-21-2008, 01:31 PM
I'm wondering..... can a regular Dremel tool with a file bit be used? Like the kind you can buy at Home Depot? From what I see online, they seem to be pretty much the same as the Pet Dremel. ???

I'm still afraid my Dogs will freak before I can even try it on them!

lvpets2002
08-21-2008, 02:33 PM
I'm wondering..... can a regular Dremel tool with a file bit be used? Like the kind you can buy at Home Depot? From what I see online, they seem to be pretty much the same as the Pet Dremel. ???

I'm still afraid my Dogs will freak before I can even try it on them!

:) From what I have seen yes its the same.. The one we use at the vet fits in the palm of your hand & runs off a battery..

Giselle
08-21-2008, 02:58 PM
Giselle.... do you mean a Dremel like the one for minor carpentry work? I have one of those but never thought about using it as a nail file... wouldn't it be to powerful???

Yep, I bought mine at Home Depot. No, it is not too powerful. Dremel settings range from 1-6 (I believe). I've used mine to file both dog nails and wood. For wood, I keep it at about 3-4. For dogs, I go 1-2. I never go above 2, and, even then, you only keep it on a nail for a few seconds at most.

Keep in mind: Just like any other grooming, you have to initially train your dog to accept nail grinding. All dogs are fearful of Dremels at first, but it is the training that helps them overcome their fear - not the tool itself.

Palfwyn
09-22-2008, 04:30 PM
I researched the pedicure and decided not to purchase due to negative comments on the battery life. So instead I purchased just the cover part (which was sold separately for those of us who already owned dremmels) to add to my dremmel tool.

The nice features of the pedicure/pedipaw type products are:
1. The dust from the nails doesn't fly around as much as just using the dremmel.
2. The hair doesn't get caught in the dremmel as much.
3. If you file into the quick, it usually isn't as deep as clipping into it and there is less bleeding.

The drawbacks are:
1. The noise. You MUST train your dog properly to accept the tool or they will freak out! (See below)
2. You cannot easily get the tool at a good angle to give a nice rounded surface to the nail. It can be done, but is actually much easier without the cover on the tool. If you have a show dog and want that nice close trim with a rounded nail, try a plain dremmel or an ordinary metal nail file.

Before you decide to purchase any of these products, please read the COMPLETE article on dremmeling your dogs nails at www.DoberDawn.com. She has an EXCELLENT article on the entire process from beginning to end, including how to introduce your dogs to the noise. I wish we had read it before we did our dogs' nails. Now they are a bit scared so we are trying to retrain which takes MUCH longer than just doing it correctly in the first place!

pomtzu
09-23-2008, 05:10 PM
I considered buying this, but instead purchased a small Dremel from Walmart and it works just great. I read too many negative reviews on the Pedipaw and it's pretty much limited to just being able to do nails. The Dremel is very versatile since there are dozens of attachments for many small household projects and it isn't noisy either, so my dogs weren't at all afraid of it. I highly recommend it.

Taz_Zoee
09-23-2008, 05:32 PM
Great, I ordered one and it was on back order, they said 6 weeks. I ordered it on 8/19/08. They did not process my payment until 9/12/08 and it was $2.97 more than it said during the transaction. I have not yet received it.
I have a feeling this is just another waste of my money. When will I ever learn? I always order stuff thinking I'll use it and I don't. I have tons of work-out videos and crap that are practially new. One of these days................:rolleyes:

boomersooner
09-23-2008, 09:14 PM
I want to get one, too, so please let us know how you like it. I was talking to a man in our vet's office, and he had asked our vet about them....Our vet said you have to be careful with at least some of them because they can get hot. I don't know which brand to which he was referring, though.

Craftlady
09-23-2008, 10:16 PM
My neighbor across street from us has one and loves it. Their dog doesnt mind the tool and it's very quiet.

mr.chiwawa
09-25-2008, 08:35 PM
I bought it and Mister LOVES IT :love::love::love::love:

Taz_Zoee
09-30-2008, 02:33 PM
Well, I got my pedipaws last Wednesday. We left that night so I couldn't even take a look at it. Yesterday I was on the phone with my sister and mentioned I got one. She wanted to know how quiet it is. So I tried it, and it's actually pretty quiet. It's no louder than the grooming clippers I use on Zoee.
I have not tried it on her yet because I want to get her use to the sound and the vibration on her nails first. So I'll be taking it slow. But the first time I use it I will start a new thread and I'll try to remember to take before and after pix of her nails.

anna_66
10-26-2008, 11:39 AM
We just got one from WalMart...don't like it at all for my dogs.
For one, Bon's toenails are just too hard for it. Secondly we tried it on Simba and even with his tiny toenails all it would be good for is to file the nail after it's been cut.
We're taking it back. Definitely not worth $20...not for us any way.

jkfromkc
11-24-2008, 09:07 AM
I wouldn't recommend purchasing Pedipaws online!

I ordered one October 8, 2008 and by the time they got done with all the "add ons" and shipping, my order was $47.97 for a $19.99 item.

I also was directed to a "Pop-up" from their website that asked if I wanted a $10 rebate. I'm too smart to fall for a free lunch, but I did it anyway. I discovered I had signed up for some kind of service for $24.95 per month. I found this out because they sent me an eMail almost immediately, telling me I could cancel the $24.95 monthly fee at any time.

I was really upset by this, so I attempted to cancel the $24.95, but they told me the information was not in the computer yet. I had to call back three days later and finally got it cancelled.

I also wanted to cancel my Pedipaws order as well because I was beginning to think this was a scam. I called them and they, too, said my information was not in the computer. On October 9 I called and they said I needed to call back on October 10. I called on October 10 and they said I was too late to receive a refund - so I asked to talk to a supervisor and she said she would arrange for a refund - she also said if I received the product I should not open it, and return it with a RMA number written on the package.

I did recieve the product on October 19 and I returned it immediately.

I kept checking my credit card account and no refund ever showed up. I called them again and they told me a refund would be authorized 10 days after they received the returned product.

I did some checking on their website and discovered the product wasn't shipped until October 14 (4 days after I had called to cancel it.) Also it said they didn't receive the returned package until November 10!

I have called them numerous times, and they keep telling me they will expidite my return, and here it is November 24 and I stilll haven't received credit!

I will ever do business with this company again and would recommend to others that If you can find the product in one of the places that sells "as seen on TV" merchandise and you absolutely want to try it - get it there. You'll save a lot of money and headaches!

pomtzu
11-24-2008, 11:58 AM
I wouldn't recommend purchasing Pedipaws online!

I ordered one October 8, 2008 and by the time they got done with all the "add ons" and shipping, my order was $47.97 for a $19.99 item.

I also was directed to a "Pop-up" from their website that asked if I wanted a $10 rebate. I'm too smart to fall for a free lunch, but I did it anyway. I discovered I had signed up for some kind of service for $24.95 per month. I found this out because they sent me an eMail almost immediately, telling me I could cancel the $24.95 monthly fee at any time.

I was really upset by this, so I attempted to cancel the $24.95, but they told me the information was not in the computer yet. I had to call back three days later and finally got it cancelled.

I also wanted to cancel my Pedipaws order as well because I was beginning to think this was a scam. I called them and they, too, said my information was not in the computer. On October 9 I called and they said I needed to call back on October 10. I called on October 10 and they said I was too late to receive a refund - so I asked to talk to a supervisor and she said she would arrange for a refund - she also said if I received the product I should not open it, and return it with a RMA number written on the package.

I did recieve the product on October 19 and I returned it immediately.

I kept checking my credit card account and no refund ever showed up. I called them again and they told me a refund would be authorized 10 days after they received the returned product.

I did some checking on their website and discovered the product wasn't shipped until October 14 (4 days after I had called to cancel it.) Also it said they didn't receive the returned package until November 10!

I have called them numerous times, and they keep telling me they will expidite my return, and here it is November 24 and I stilll haven't received credit!

I will ever do business with this company again and would recommend to others that If you can find the product in one of the places that sells "as seen on TV" merchandise and you absolutely want to try it - get it there. You'll save a lot of money and headaches!

Buy a Dremmel at Walmart! Works great, no hassel with shiiping, returns, credits, etc. And it's versatile since you can use it for many small household projects - it has dozens of attachments available. I paid $20 for a small one, and it has more than paid for itself!

Taz_Zoee
11-24-2008, 12:56 PM
Wow, sorry you had such an ordeal with this jkfromkc. I ordered mine several months ago and all is well. The only thing was the total was a few cents more than it said when I ordered it. I clicked NO on all the pop-up things. That was very annoying. :mad:
I have yet to really use mine though. I've been just too darn busy. But I really need to get the dogs comfortable with it. Especially with Taggarts dew claws. I did it on Zoee for a few seconds and she actually did very well with it.

Yeah, I would have done the dremel route, but I had already ordered this thing. Oh well.