PDA

View Full Version : Decision

StarandBratsmom
08-18-2008, 07:23 AM
I have a Pixie Bob. In fact he is more Bobcat than Bengal. He's beautiful but he is now full grown. My plan was to get him fixed so he doesn't end up being a scruffed up tomcat who marks his terretory. He is a year old and spends most of the time outside. (he's a terror indoors) Should I get him fixed or should I let him breed for the Pixie Bob Gene?

Scooter's Mom
08-18-2008, 07:26 AM
I'd say get him fixed.

Moesha
08-18-2008, 07:31 AM
My vote is for getting him fixed too. It will help him healthwise and help prevent unwanted kittens. If he is outside, there's no way to control who he mates with and how often. You may not even see the mother kitties. Plus the urges to wander will lessen if he is fixed. That can help keep him safer as well. Overall, neutering him seems to have way more pros to it than does keeping him intact.

Anikaca77
08-18-2008, 07:54 AM
My vote is getting him fixed as well and I'd love to see some pictures of him too!

Melissa

momtomany
08-18-2008, 08:36 AM
Get him fixed is the best thing to do.

columbine
08-18-2008, 09:33 AM
I'd definitely suggest getting him fixed - keeps him out of fights, avoids health problems and scratching (and the marking you mention), and you can never be sure that the females he mates with live with humans who'd appreciate his lineage. Since he goes outside, you might consider getting him a microchip, in case someone's so taken with him that he himself is at risk of being taken...

And definitely, let us see some photos! He sounds gorgeous!

Love, Columbine

catmandu
08-18-2008, 09:38 AM
I WOULD SAY HAVE HIM FIXED ASAP, AS HIS MATING INSTINCTS ARE INCREDIBKY STROONG AND IF HE SENSES A QUEEN IN HEAT, THEN HE WILL BRAVE ANYTHING TO GET TO HER SIDE.
THAT MAKES HIM VULNERABLE TO CARS , DOGS AND OTHER DANGERS.
FOR YOU CATS SAKE, HAVE HIM NEUTERED.
WE DONT NEED MORE UNWANTED KITTENS.:eek::(

moosmom
08-18-2008, 10:04 AM
He should've been neutered at 6 months.

kitten645
08-18-2008, 10:18 AM
Fix him NOW. You'll avoid a whole lot of problems and it's the right thing to do.

Miss Z
08-18-2008, 12:27 PM
He should've been neutered at 6 months.

Donna's right, and if not at that age, he should have been neutered before being let outside. By this time, he could already have mated many times and sired kittens - and who knows what has/will happen to them? Stuffed into a shelter? 'Disposed' of? It's your responsibilty as an animal lover to stop adding to the problem of pet overpopulation.

Also, an intact tom can cause damage to queens, intact or not. My RB cat Zsa-Zsa, who was spayed waaay before we let her out, often used to be pursued by a neighbour's intact tom. He caused her considerable distress and scratched and bit her a few times before his owners finally did the right thing and fixed him.

Unless you are really, really devoted to the Pixie Bob breed, think your breeding stock is of high enough quality, and are prepared to devote a lot of time into breeding, breeding is not a good idea. Please get him fixed as soon as you can.

Aside from that, he does sound lovely, and I would also like to see some pics of the guy. :)

krazyaboutkatz
08-18-2008, 08:01 PM
Please have him neutered asap. After this is done he'll calm down quite a bit and maybe then he can became an indoor kitty or at least an indoor/outdoor cat. Good luck.:)

momcat
08-18-2008, 10:19 PM
Please have him neutered ASAP!!!!! My 7 year old Groucho is neutered and he's a very relaxed, laid back, mellow kitty guy not to mention very affectionate. There are many proven benefits to neutering but the one that comes first to my mind is a neutered male has a longer life span.

About a year or so ago, we found two baby kittens living under our porch. They were beautiful kitties that we couldn't keep or care for. Soncat & I cared for them as best we could while contacting every rescue and shelter we could find. Sadly, the answer was always the same... they were already overcrowded and couldn't take them. Fortunately Saturday and Sunday were eventually adopted but that's not always how it ends. The only way to be absolutely sure that your kitty isn't daddy to other Saturdays and Sundays is to have the proceedure done.

Do it for the kitties.....