PDA

View Full Version : Some Olympic observations.

RICHARD
08-17-2008, 12:44 AM
I am all for making the Olympics more exciting and competitive.

As the first week winds down here are some of my suggestions for additions/improvements for events.

Slingshots.

Slingshots in every event. Let the other competitors sit on the sidelines and shoot at the people they compete against. Can you see that in gymnastics or track and field.;)

Broken glass around the gymnastic out of bounds areas.

Make the archery target a tank that dunks people in the water.

Make the people in the marathon stop and do a beer or shot for every mile they run.

Attack dogs in the track and field running events!

Anyone notice the coaches on bicycles following the sculls at the rowing events? Put in some jumps and ramps. Why not take care of two sports at once?

Put up trip wires around the table tennis tables.

Beach volleyball on asphalt!:eek:

Instead of the horses doing the jumping at the equestrian events make the riders muck out the stalls, bathe the horses and let THEM do the jumping!

Anyone with a suggestion?

Karen
08-17-2008, 01:49 AM
Broken glass around the gymnastic out of bounds areas.

Nah, let's make it wet oil paint on the out-of-bounds areas - it'll paint anything that touches it, and be indisputable!

Loud buzzer if you take an extra step after landing ... BZZZZZZ!!!

Little pool with baby pirahnas in it immediately under the balance beam, and for men, under the parallel bars - you fall off, you'll have nibble marks to prove it!

Track and Field:

Marathon is grueling enough as it is ... - how about random sensors across the road that, when you cross it's path, a loud, random noise, or flashing light, or sparkly confetti falls - you know, just to text your "grace under pressure" and reaction time.

Same for cycling ...

Shotputs are sand-filled balloons that burst upon landing

Javelins, when they hit the ground, make wounded animal or human noises - randomized so different, but louder the further they get

Mat on which high-jumpers land trigger flashing lights on the sides, bigger impact, redder pattern! Sirens at certain intervals

Boxers - wet paint on the gloves, of course, nice, bright flourescent colors

Catty1
08-17-2008, 10:32 AM
Oh, man - I never knew that the two of YOU could think so much alike! SCARY! :D

(the pirhana idea was kinda cute though...just 'nibbles'...hee hee)

RICHARD
08-17-2008, 11:01 AM
ANother marathon suggestion?

Screeching tire noises?

At the shooting events play loud carnival music, serve cotton candy and such and give away stuffed animals instead of medals!:confused:

jazzcat
08-17-2008, 03:48 PM
ROTFLOL!!!

I can't think of anything to add to these but they are great!

RICHARD
08-18-2008, 01:02 AM
Fire extinguishers! At the run up to the vault in gymnastics.

Swimming?

Use goggles that black out the swimmer's view. Who ever gets to the end of the pool without crashing, wins!

Barb wire pole vaulting and high jumping!

The decathalon events while texting on a PDA.

Team volleyball with two balls at a time.

Team discus, like regular frisbee! Catch and throw!

Long Jump? More pirahnas!

Switch the balls between table tennis and tennis.

Team handball with a shot put!

-----------

What is it with the close up shots of people that screw up in their event?

Hows about Mexican wrestling masks, so they don't have to go home where everyone knows what they look like!

No more interviews with the winner's family members! We always hear how wonderful they are. Talk to some of the other participants....more intriguing storylines. Phelps got to eat, sleep and swim to get to China. He said the has a new home and multiple cars. Now, I know he trained hard to get their but who paid for his 12,000 calorie meals, lodging and expenses.

Here in Cah Lee fuh Nee ah if you eat, sleep and swim every day, You live with mom, are unemployed and have a pool. We are not Olympians, we are slackers, lazy or incredibly rich.:cool::rolleyes:

What about the guy who had to train on donkeys in Uruguay to prepare for the dressage? (Not a true story. Just looking for that human interest spin.)

DJFyrewolf36
08-18-2008, 09:34 AM
Eels in the steple chase pool.

Little water baloon cannons on the boats for the rowing events. You get a time bonus for accuracy :D

More interviews with the people who lose.

A Price is Right style spin off for events that result in a tie. Bonus for getting a dollar!

Diving into green Jello!

cassiesmom
08-19-2008, 11:49 AM
Random sport switching. The gymnasts and weight lifters switch ... the sprinters and distance runners switch ... the divers and swimmers switch. The baseball and softball pitchers use a shot put, and the shot putters use a ball.

Combine long jump and trampoline.

Add the cannonball as an Olympic dive. Let's see how big a splash they can make!

lvpets2002
08-19-2008, 12:14 PM
:eek: WoW Didnt know we had PT'rs with such Imagining Minds.. :p You ALL are to be ashamed && your all just too Bad..:D

cassiesmom
08-19-2008, 12:46 PM
ANother marathon suggestion?

Screeching tire noises?

At the shooting events play loud carnival music, serve cotton candy and such and give away stuffed animals instead of medals!:confused:

Have them shoot with guns that deliver a stream of water right to the target, too, and a little bell at the end when someone wins.

Let the shooters do their thing just as the synchronised divers are getting ready to jump. Kapow - Splash!

This thread is great!

RICHARD
08-19-2008, 02:22 PM
A Price is Right style spin off for events that result in a tie. Bonus for getting a dollar!

Why not give out a medals for spinning the "wheel"?

Medals for finding family and friends in the stands?

Medals for getting your nation's flag first and making it around the arena while holding it up?

I have to say I was watching track and field and saw a Jamaican athlete running with his flag all twisted around...I kepy yelling, "Straighten it out!!!"

Did anyone watch the gal from Europe fall during the hurdles?
I felt so bad for her and thought about the Mexican wrestling mask!:eek:

Karen
08-19-2008, 02:31 PM
Why not give out a medals for spinning the "wheel"?

Medals for finding family and friends in the stands?

Medals for getting your nation's flag first and making it around the arena while holding it up?

I have to say I was watching track and field and saw a Jamaican athlete running with his flag all twisted around...I kepy yelling, "Straighten it out!!!"

Did anyone watch the gal from Europe fall during the hurdles?
I felt so bad for her and thought about the Mexican wrestling mask!:eek:

The Swedish hurdler - she's pretty, so they had a long close-up of her before the race and talked about her ... I did feel bad for her, but loved that the Jamaican hurdler afterwards went to to her as she was leaving the stadium and told her to hold her chin up, these things happen, and not to feel too badly. THAT was good sportsmanship, IMHO.

RICHARD
08-19-2008, 02:56 PM
The Swedish hurdler - she's pretty, so they had a long close-up of her before the race and talked about her ... I did feel bad for her, but loved that the Jamaican hurdler afterwards went to to her as she was leaving the stadium and told her to hold her chin up, these things happen, and not to feel too badly. THAT was good sportsmanship, IMHO.

She was a doll and I loved her hair.

Did you know that the IOC give out a 'sportsmanship" medal?

I saw where a Canuck sailor won it once for giving up his chance to win a medal when he saved two other competitors whose boats had capsized!

Another "SMS" medal went to a guy who was running the marathon and was in first place when some nut ran out from the crowd and tackle him. He did get a bronze medal after the incident-He managed to get away from his attacker, but his legs seized up and he ended up getting passed in the last part of the run.

cassiesmom
08-19-2008, 03:26 PM
Track and Field:

Marathon is grueling enough as it is ... - how about random sensors across the road that, when you cross it's path, a loud, random noise, or flashing light, or sparkly confetti falls - you know, just to text your "grace under pressure" and reaction time.

Javelins, when they hit the ground, make wounded animal or human noises - randomized so different, but louder the further they get

Archery sound effects, so that when the arrow hits the target, there's a moan or a groan, an ooch or an ouch. Alternatively, paste pictures of the FBI Ten Most Wanted onto the archery targets.

Track and Field - the bell that signals the last lap - ring it about a lap and a half early and confuse the heck out of everyone.

cassiesmom
08-19-2008, 03:33 PM
If two gymnasts are tied, or one swimmer beats out another by 0.01 second, they both get the gold medal. No more hair splitting. Great is great.
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/0808/oly.phelps.sequence/images/opgm-37117-mid.jpg
^Phelps on the left, Cavic on the right^
Isn't this a cool photograph?

RICHARD
08-22-2008, 03:03 AM
An event for women?

Age fudging?

You have to fudge about your age and the opponents have to guess your age-points awarded the closer the guess.

-------------

Like why did they disqualify the horses for doping?

They should go after the dopes that were horsing around.:rolleyes:

-------

Another sport. Shopping to match your outfit to the medal you win!

----

Race walking?

Is that running for lazy people or people who are only half inspired?

-------

SUPER GLUE on the batons for the team track relays!

--------

Phelps has a contract with the company who did the time for the games, Omega!;)

DJFyrewolf36
08-22-2008, 03:33 AM
There should be some sort of honerable mention prize for people who crash in the biking events, especially BMX. Both finals had a couple of huge wipeouts and those poor competitors at least deserve a gift basket lol.

RICHARD
08-22-2008, 04:46 AM
There should be some sort of honerable mention prize for people who crash in the biking events, especially BMX. Both finals had a couple of huge wipeouts and those poor competitors at least deserve a gift basket lol.

LOL, a basket full of gauze, tape and iron on knee patches!

Johnson and Johnson sponsorship?
I am stuck on Band -aids, cause Band-aids' stuck on me!!!!!

What's more embarrassing?

Pulling out of an event because you are hurt or planting face on a dirt track then getting hurt?
:rolleyes::confused:
-----------

No ties in the Olympics! Rock, rock paper scissors to decide.

Or yeah these guys can swim, but can they hold their breath underwater longer?

Make them swim again with one of the synchronized swimmers on their back!

Phelps may be the world's best swimmer, but I can kick his arse in Jeopardy!,
Tequila shooters and changing the litter in the cat box.

Being good at one thing is amazing, But I'd like to see him chase after the cat that races out the door?, How many bags of cat litter can he carry at once?
Can he clip cat claws without bleeding?

Cats don't even like water.

He's got a ton of gold medals for swimming, I have one in the Game Of Life!:rolleyes::D:eek:

LOL, Might look good on a job application?

"Position desired?"
LIFEGUARD!:D

Catlady711
08-22-2008, 12:47 PM
Ok, I'll be the oddball here then.

Rather than change any of the events themselves (athough those are all really cool ideas), we simply change the audience. It's simple it would work like this....

Everyone at home has a little box with buttons hooked to the tv, everyone at the event also has a similar box, although obviously wireless but people actually there also get a stick 'em dart gun. (follow me on this one)

We eliminate the judges almost entirely, save one to count the stick 'em darts. People at home vote for who got the win (kinda like a reverse Survivor). The best part is the people who are actually there not only get to vote, but if they want someone disqualified they have to get at least 25 stick 'em dart guns to stick to the athlete.

I think this would eliminate alot of crappy judging (women's gymnastics comes to mind), allow the audience to participate, AND as a bonus the people in the stands get to shoot suction cup darts at the athletes that really screw up.:D Following this logic(?) further we could have remote stick 'em dart guns controlled by the internet users!

I'm picturing a gymnast with a bunch of stick 'em darts all over and a judge trying to count them while they are still competing. ROFL

RICHARD
08-22-2008, 01:51 PM
I'm picturing a gymnast with a bunch of stick 'em darts all over and a judge trying to count them while they are still competing. ROFL

Works for me!;)

Karen
08-22-2008, 03:47 PM
She was a doll and I loved her hair.

Hee hee - the braids on top of the head - such classic Swedish hair! When I was a child, both my parents were in the choir, so during church I was seated with a whole row of tall, white-haired, Swedish folks, two of the women always had their hair in braids circling the top of the head. I aspired to that for years until my hair was long enough to make it work!

Grace
08-23-2008, 09:59 AM
Here are some suggestions from ESPN on incorporating some of the NHL players into the Summer Olympics.

Drury's baseball pedigree would have boded well in Beijing
By Terry Frei
Special to ESPN.com

NHL players aren't scheduled to get back into the Olympic act until the 2010 Games in Vancouver. After that, league participation in the Winter Games will be re-evaluated -- and perhaps will end.

But during the 2008 Beijing Games, we've figured out that studio gymnastics commentator Bela "Bananas" Karolyi can become just as outraged as Don "Grapes" Cherry. We've also enjoyed pondering how hockey players also could have participated in the Summer Olympics:

Synchronized diving: Henrik Sedin and Daniel Sedin, Vancouver Canucks, Sweden
Diving would be prime gold-medal territory for Sweden if Swedish fans could get past the fact that the event, which debuted at the Sydney Games in 2000, is one of the most ridiculous-looking sports on the Olympic docket. That's saying a lot given the competition.

Apparently, the synchronized divers are well-served if they look alike, because their goal is to be mirror images from takeoff to splashdown.

Given the Sedin brothers' ability to dive -- they aren't the best in the league from Ornskoldsvik, but certainly are the best twins in the league from anywhere -- and the fact that Sweden didn't have a two-man team in the finals at Beijing, they would have been natural candidates to quickly pick up such maneuvers as the back 2½ somersault pike from the 3-meter springboard.

This year's gold medalists, Feng Wang and Qin Kai of China, would have needed some home cooking to knock off the twins.

Baseball: Chris Drury, New York Rangers, United States
Next year will be the 20th anniversary of the Little League World Series victory of the Trumbull, Conn., team over players from Taiwan who in some cases looked old enough to be bartenders in Williamsport.

Drury was the chubby No. 1 Trumbull catcher who switched to the mound when it was his turn. It was his turn for the title game, when his best friend Kenny Martin hit the game-winning home run. (Martin is Drury's best friend even today.)

A broken wrist in Drury's junior year of high school nudged him away from baseball and toward hockey -- he was able to play hockey in a cast -- and the rest is history.

But his obvious all-around athletic talent makes it apparent that he could have been an excellent baseball player if he had stuck to it … or maybe even returned to it. Now it's too late, though, because baseball (and softball) will be kicked out of the Olympics after Beijing. Next thing you know, some nut will talk about eliminating the Winter Games' showcase sport -- curling.

100-meter butterfly: Marc-Andre Fleury, Pittsburgh Penguins, Canada
Michael Phelps' gold-medal count would have been diminished to seven, and the one-hundredth of a second difference between Phelps and Serb Milorad Cavic would have decided the silver and bronze.

200-meter freestyle: Dominik Hasek, Detroit Red Wings (emeritus), Czech Republic
What a way to go out after retiring from the NHL!

The guy who did it in freestyle fashion, doing whatever it took to make a save, including making like a Slinky (with credit to the MasterCard commercial), could have taken his no-rules approach to the pool and done whatever was necessary to race up and down the pool first.

That is, if he didn't pull a groin muscle taking 45 minutes to put on one of those newfangled suits.

Boxing: Georges Laraque, Montreal Canadiens, Canada
Once he overcame his initial insistence on shedding and dropping his gloves before throwing a punch, he would have won his division in a walk. That is, if the judges didn't fall asleep at their Nintendo joysticks, or however that works now. He would have received five minutes for fighting and a gold medal.

Floor exercise: Alex Ovechkin, Washington Capitals, Russia
One of the NHL's strengths is its relative lack of look-at-me showmanship.

Granted, that quality is considered a weakness by the men and women who have sports-marketing degrees and work in the front offices of the teams with dual NBA-NHL ownership -- the folks who want the game-night experience to be an end-to-end scream fest, designed by and for morons. And I'll grant that the NHL could loosen up a little, which is why I used the term "relative."

Ovechkin, who gets plenty of opportunities, dances as much as anyone ever has in celebration of his goals, and until he gets ridiculous, at least he's offered a change of pace. It wouldn't have taken all that much for him to learn all those somersaults and twists.

Mountain biking/cycling: Trevor Linden, Vancouver Canucks, Canada
The possibilities for NHL players in this sport are numerous. That's not just because after games alone, some guys seem to ride from Vancouver to Sunrise, Fla., on the exercise bikes.

But Linden takes the real thing seriously, and he began competing in bicycle racing while still playing in the NHL. He finished -- among other races -- the Transalp 2007 event in Europe, covering about 600 miles. And since his retirement in June, he might have cranked up his training.

Beach volleyball: Pavel Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg, Detroit Red Wings, Russia and/or Sweden
Given the adjustable nature of nationalities for Olympic competition, this could be worked out. They do everything else well together, so I assume they could kick sand in Misty (or Brad) May's face at this sport.

Water polo: Dion Phaneuf, Calgary Flames, Canada
After watching a bit of the Serbia-Croatia preliminary match, and remembering blood in the water at past matches (or whatever they're called), it's clear this game can be about as clean as Darius Kasparaitis. At best, the stars can push the envelope, especially underwater, because referee Konstantinov Fraser doesn't want to get his hair wet and look below the surface.

Right up Phaneuf's alley.

Equestrian: Joe Sakic, Colorado Avalanche, Canada, and Mats Sundin, Toronto Maple Leafs, Sweden
The issue here would have been whether at the end of the competition, would they ride off into the sunset?

Terry Frei is a regular contributor to ESPN.com. He is the author of just-released "'77" and of "Third Down and a War to Go."

RICHARD
08-24-2008, 10:14 AM
LOL, a basket full of gauze, tape and iron on knee patches!

Johnson and Johnson sponsorship?
I am stuck on Band -aids, cause Band-aids' stuck on me!!!!!

HEY DJ!

I had set up my cable box to show me all the Olympic channels. The last channel on the list was the place where they showed all the replays of the Olympic qualifiers.

I tuned into the last day of the Track and Field races from Eugene Oregon....

During the women's 1500 meter race I looked at the infield and saw a giant sponor's sign that said...

Johnson and Johnson

I laughed!:D