PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone help?

chocolatepuppy
08-16-2008, 05:26 PM
I cut Lacey's toenail too short almost 5 hours ago. Even with stopping the bleeding with flour, after an hour and a 1/2 she starts bleeding as soon as she tries to walk. Any suggestions? The Emg. vet people are not much help when we call.:( Shouldn't she be able to walk on it? Has this ever happened to anyone? Maybe we could wrap it up. In a bit if she gets up and it still starts bleeding we will be talking her to the Emg. Vet.

dreamparkingspace
08-16-2008, 05:49 PM
When I cut my dogs' nails I will occasionally cut too far and the nail will start to bleed. Flour is a good choice like you used. My guess is that a trip to emergency vet would not be neccessary unless the nail bleeds excessively all night or something like that. It seems like it should naturally heel up on its own within a couple hours max.

wolf_Q
08-16-2008, 05:49 PM
Do you have cornstarch? That works better than flour. If there's a pet store open near by go over and get some Styptic powder aka Kwik Stop...that really should do the trick, even badly quicked nails should stop bleeding with that...try that before the emergency vet. I don't know about other pet stores but both Petco and Petsmart should carry Kwik Stop and both are usually open until at least 9:00.

chocolatepuppy
08-16-2008, 06:04 PM
Thanks guys. The flour stops the bleeding.(I have Kwik Stop and it did nothing but then she was bleeding bad.)It was just as soon as she walked on it, even after an hour and a half it started bleeding like crazy again. She's been lying down for 2 1/2 hours now, got up and turned around on her bed and it didn't bleed, fingers crossed here. Poor Lacey, I feel so bad.:(

luvofallhorses
08-16-2008, 07:57 PM
I think it happens to everyone Annette. (((hugs))) the black nails are the hardest. poor Lacey and poor you! Buster sends a get well kiss to Lacey. :love: Rocky & Jenny were playing about a couple years ago and Rocky got his nail in the carpet to the quick so we had to rush him to the vets. now when his nails grow his one nail grows all crooked that he split. I think he broke 2. :eek: please let us know how Lacey is doing. :)

chocolatepuppy
08-16-2008, 08:07 PM
Thanks Krista, Lacey is a bit grouchy now but will thank Buster later.;) She is still resting, meanwhile everyone in the house is starving because we don't want to eat or she will get up.:rolleyes: Hopefully it is healed up enough she can walk to go potty and eat. Never had a nail do this before, it really had me worried. I appreciate support from all of you.:)

Freedom
08-16-2008, 08:22 PM
Just seeing this now. I am constantly having this problem, with Ozzy"s nails. as he is small, I just hold him in my lap for a time. Yes, the bleeding stops and then the moment they put pressure, the top pops off so the bleeding starts again. Makes sense to me that the larger the dog, the longer they need to keep off the foot until the "scab" has time to develop across the top and have some depth to it.

As I understand it, the only difference between using flour /cornstarch, or the styptic, is that the styptic includes some pain reliever in addition to helping with the clotting action. My dogs have a momentary pain when the clip first happens, but they don't seem to feel it after that. So even though I tried the styptic, I found it quite expensive and little benefit over the home remedies.

Oh, another thing which helps stop the bleeding, is I hold a paper towel over the spot and put pressure on the cut end. But again, the moment they walk and put some pressure, it starts.

I have never had a nail bleed on the girls; yet Ozzy always seems to have 2 and sometimes more bleeding when I clip. I have the nail guard in place, so it's not that. I know the groomer has told me the same, the only benefit being that he can place Ozzy in a kennel which keeps him immobilized for long enough to let it all heal.

Marlin does not permit me to touch his feet, so the groomer and TWO aides have to clip his nails. :rolleyes:

Hugs to you and gentle pets to Lacey!

chocolatepuppy
08-16-2008, 08:45 PM
Thanks Sandie, I haven't had much luck with the styptic pencil, ever. Lacey's nails are just different than the other pups, harder to cut and she doesn't make it any easier.:rolleyes: Just never had one do this, after keeping the dog down for a while, they were fine. I may not do her nails again after this. But when the vets do it they have to muzzle her and she goes insane!:eek: I do it at home to help her avoid the stress and now look what I've done.:( Of course I have been clipping them for 8 years with only a few minor oopies, until now.

mr.chiwawa
08-16-2008, 08:59 PM
I feel your pain Mister has some clear nails but mostly black. I purchased this pet nail trimmer prodcut and let me tell you it really really works AND gives me peace of mind. For you can't cut them too short. I will include the link for you. They have two different sizes one for big dogs and one for the littler guys. Best of luck and I hope she is feeling better soon.

http://www.peticure.com/index.html

Ginger's Mom
08-16-2008, 09:12 PM
Just seeing this now. Poor Lacey and poor you. I am afraid to cut Ginger's nails, I know I will cut the quick. And Taz will need to go somewhere and be muzzled to have his done. So let me say I admire you for trying to make it less stressful for Lacey by doing it yourself. I bet it bothers you more than her. Now go get something to eat. :)

chocolatepuppy
08-16-2008, 09:59 PM
Thanks for the link mr.chiwawa, that's interesting, something I will check into.
Joyce, we're all fed now.;) I got brave and took Lacey out. She's doing ok. :) I gave her an extra pill for her allergies to help keep her quiet through the night. Not to worry, she's only taking 1/2 of what she can take, an extra one won't hurt her.

chocolatepuppy
08-17-2008, 05:56 AM
Just a morning update. Lacey seems to have cleaned her paw up overnight. :rolleyes: Blood all over her sheet on her bed.(we had blood and flour everywhere yesterday) She has been out and ate and it is holding up. We're just watching she doesn't lick at it today and no running around. Thank you all for being there for this worried mom. :)

oh and Lacey says thanks Buster for the get well kiss, she's feeling better now.;)

boomersooner
08-17-2008, 09:59 AM
I'm glad Lacey is better. I, too, am afraid to cut my dogs' nails....I even bought some trimmers, thinking I would start cutting Boomer's since he was a pup, but I had a dog when I was a kid who always bled, so I've always shied away from it. I have to take Cassie to the vet this week to get hers trimmed. Since she is not as active as she used to be, they are really, really long.....in her younger years, she used to go full bore after something, and she has ripped and/or shredded at least 2 or 3 in her life. Give Lacey a hug and a kiss from Texas.

cloverfdx
08-17-2008, 11:29 AM
I am glad to hear miss Lacey is on the mend :). Heres hoping the bleeding has stopped for good now.

{{hugs}}

Giselle
08-17-2008, 04:01 PM
Aw, glad to hear she's getting better!

Note: I gave up clippers many moons ago. I now use a Dremel:
http://homepages.udayton.edu/~merensjp/doberdawn/dremel/diagonal1.jpg
Most, if not all, vets use Dremels as you rarely "quick" a dog with these and you can get a dog's nail almost twice as short as you'd normally get with clippers.

chocolatepuppy
08-17-2008, 04:07 PM
Thanks guys, Lacey is doing well.:) I'm still kind of scared of those dremels, maybe because I never used or even saw one other than in pictures. I'm checking them out though.;) I rarely cut too short, and Layla and Jake are easier to deal with than Lacey.

luvofallhorses
08-17-2008, 08:20 PM
Just a morning update. Lacey seems to have cleaned her paw up overnight. :rolleyes: Blood all over her sheet on her bed.(we had blood and flour everywhere yesterday) She has been out and ate and it is holding up. We're just watching she doesn't lick at it today and no running around. Thank you all for being there for this worried mom. :)

oh and Lacey says thanks Buster for the get well kiss, she's feeling better now.;)

aww I am glad she's doing much better. :) so is Buster! :D He says she's very welcome. :)

caseysmom
08-17-2008, 08:30 PM
I just saw this poor you it must have been stressful, I am glad Lacey is doing better.

Alysser
08-17-2008, 08:41 PM
I'm sorry I just saw this, Annette. I can just imagine how stressful this situation one. Poor Lacey, I would probably have panicked. Glad everything is okay now.

scrain2329
08-17-2008, 11:39 PM
aaaaw glad the baby is better.
I get close to Trey the big labs toes and he starts to bleed, emotionally! you touch his paw when he knows its time to cut and he screams, just when you get close to him. haha. Kaysha just gives me the look and i feel terrible for her. hers are all black and one white one. I just look at the white one and guess where the quick is on the other black ones, haha. Terrible way of guessing i know.
We bought dremel or something close, electric nail file thing and the dogs freak when they see the case. It vibrates them to the bone. If you do decide to get it, if you push the nail out far and hold it at the base seems to do the trick. Or my dogs are huge babys and cry over everything haha!
Well, glad to know again that everything is better. Sorry didnt read sooner!

Ginger's Mom
08-18-2008, 06:15 AM
I have heard some of the ladies on here mention that they dremel their dogs nails, and I wondered what it was. I was also wondering if the Peticure thing that I see advertised on TV was a dremel. I would think that it would still be tough to use on dogs that don't like their feet touched. How much noise do they make?

So Annette, What do you think about trying on of these? Lacey can be the official Pet Talk spokesdog for this product. ;)

4 Dog Mother
08-18-2008, 09:39 AM
I tried a dremel - well, almost tried a dremel - on my dogs. They hated the noise so bad that I couldn't get any of them to sit still long enough to do anything. Also I bought one of those nail clippers that have the light so you know where the quick is - but I bought it at the flea market - silly me thought there was only one brand - and it isn't sharp enough to cut anything! There is a new cryptic out - it is a liquid that you squeeze out and spread on, it has worked better for me than anything else. I have had dogs bleed more than I would like and the only thing to do is get them to hold still (by laying down or something - I know no dog is going to just stand there). The amount of bleeding seems to have something to do with how much shorter you cut it. If you just nick it, the bleeding stops much quicker than if you get it good.

Most of my dogs have the pink toenails except Jack and Taggert. Taggert tries to run away when you even look like you are going for the cutters and Jack screams like a baby if you try to hold him down and do it. I have found that it is easier to cut his during bath time - he already has to hold pretty still and he lets me do things in there (like trim around his feet and legs) than he does when I am using the clippers.

mr.chiwawa
08-18-2008, 02:22 PM
You should take a peak at the site I posted on the first page. It has saved not only my worries with my little one but with him as well. He doesnt mind the sound doesnt even phase it and doesnt wiggle all around. Also I am thrilled to hear that Lacey is doing much much better

Pam
08-18-2008, 03:12 PM
Well I am arriving late to this thread but actually that is a good thing because Lacey seems to be doing better. :) I too have clipped nails into the quick. :( I use a guillotine type cutter and it is slowly, over time, getting dull. I was actually going to go to Petsmart this week and see about getting another one. I like this link from Mr. Chiwawa. I watched the video and feel pretty much sold on this product. In the video it says you can adjust it for different nail sizes so I am a little confused by your post Mr. Chiwawa. Do I need to purchase two? I guess I'd better go back to the site and listen again. :o

I feel your pain Mister has some clear nails but mostly black. I purchased this pet nail trimmer prodcut and let me tell you it really really works AND gives me peace of mind. For you can't cut them too short. I will include the link for you. They have two different sizes one for big dogs and one for the littler guys. Best of luck and I hope she is feeling better soon.

http://www.peticure.com/index.html

chocolatepuppy
08-18-2008, 07:20 PM
Thanks everyone for your concern for Lacey and discussing ways to trim nails.;)

So Annette, What do you think about trying on of these? Lacey can be the official Pet Talk spokesdog for this product.
Ha, I don't know about Lacey being spokesdog for anything! She's probably the last dog I'd try it on!:D

Most of my dogs have the pink toenails
Lacey has one white nail.Layla has none. Jake has a couple.:rolleyes:

I use a guillotine type cutter and it is slowly, over time, getting dull. I was actually going to go to Petsmart this week and see about getting another one
Pam, you do know they make replacement blades?;) In fact the clippers I was using had a new blade in it. I think I got a bad angle on her nail as it's not really that short. When I stop and think I've been clipping Lacey's nails for 8 years and only maybe 2 or 3 times of an oopsie, that's not bad,especially when she's not a happy camper when I clip them. Layla, I drew blood one time in two years and Jake, nothing yet.:rolleyes: Right now I'm dreading clipping nails again but I guess that will fade, except for Lacey, I dread everytime I have to cut hers. Now it will be worse.:(

Giselle
08-18-2008, 07:34 PM
The dremel does make noise, but it's not bad at all. It's a quiet hum.

Like all grooming, it's something you have to train a bit at first. But, seriously, after your first 3 Dremels, you become a pro.

Peticure is the same as Dremel, except you can change drill heads and use the Dremel for both wood AND doggy projects :D Plus, I personally don't like the guard on the Peticure. I prefer to file all sides of the nail rather than just the front. That's how you can really shave it down to small nubs (for visuals of what I mean, check out DoberDawn's tutorial on Dremels).