PDA

View Full Version : My wee balcony garden

Catty1
08-16-2008, 11:57 AM
These are a tad blurry (the peas, anyway)

When I saw this first pod, I ran back in to get my camera, exclaiming, "I GOT A PEA!" Say THAT fast, and you'll know why I was glad I lived alone at that moment!
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c11/Candace_1956/Aug%2008%20Hikes%20and%20Cats/P7310013.jpg

Pod #2
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c11/Candace_1956/Aug%2008%20Hikes%20and%20Cats/P7310014.jpg

Cherry Tomato Cluster - "Tiny Tim" - some have ripened
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c11/Candace_1956/Aug%2008%20Hikes%20and%20Cats/P7310015.jpg

These are the larger tomatoes - a heavy wind cracked the stalk in half...I splinted it successfully, but I don't think the 'maters will get to full size.
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c11/Candace_1956/Aug%2008%20Hikes%20and%20Cats/P7310016.jpg

Thanks for peeking!

Grace
08-16-2008, 01:19 PM
Congratulations!!

Those pictures are so clear, you can almost count the number of peas in that second pod. They are going to taste so much better to you than store bought stuff.

Casper
08-16-2008, 03:35 PM
Yummy!
Home-grown veggies are the best, aren't they? And it looks like you're going to have quite a bit. I have never tried growing peas.. I wonder how they would do around here. A big bowl of steamed peas is just the best. :]

When I saw this first pod, I ran back in to get my camera, exclaiming, "I GOT A PEA!" Say THAT fast, and you'll know why I was glad I lived alone at that moment!

Haha, that gave me a good laugh. :D

Congratulations!

jennielynn1970
08-17-2008, 12:42 AM
I have some veggies and herbs on my back deck. I'm finding that my peppers need the most water (like 2xs a day), and the patio tomatoes still get heavy and need to be propped up.

Yours look really good. I just tried to grow things I thought I wouldn't be able to kill too easily, lol.

Scooter's Mom
08-17-2008, 09:43 AM
Great job!

I can't even grow tomatoes or strawberries... lol everything dies with my black thumb.

Grace
08-23-2008, 10:27 PM
How is everything growing - have you been able to harvest yet?

Catty1
08-23-2008, 10:37 PM
Thanks, Grace.

Oh heck, this was hardly a major growing project...I think I got 8 good size pea pods, and maybe 10 cherry tomatoes(which I gave away, as I don't like tomatoes!).

I don't think the big tomatoes will make it, though you never know....they aren't near big enough.

NEXT year I know I will have radishes, and lettuce. Might try peas again...or carrots?

This was more for fun than a snack. Thank goodness my kitties aren't veggie nibblers!:)

shepgirl
08-24-2008, 03:40 PM
Catty1 - Did you ever try a hydroponic garden in your basement ? You'll have fresh lettuce and veggies year round. if you have a spare bedroom, you can put it in there also. They don't dirty, the light is great for them and you can water easily.

Catty1
08-24-2008, 03:54 PM
Hi, shepgirl - I am on the second floor of a building in a 2 bdrm condo! No basement...and my second bedroom is an office, with computer and everything.

Besides...I would have to move the cabinet with folded blanket where my furbabes look out the window! :D Can't do THAT! :)

Maybe one day I will have a little yard somewhere.

lvpets2002
08-24-2008, 04:08 PM
:) Yup if I would have heard you come running in saying I gotta pea == I would have said so what..:p Yes your garden looks very nice & yummy.. So when is Harvest??;)

Maya & Inka's mommy
08-24-2008, 04:11 PM
Hi sis!!! Haha, your "I've got a pea" made me laugh so hard :):p:)

Your tomatoes look real yummie!! Nothing better than a fresh homegrown ripe tomato :p:p

shepgirl
08-25-2008, 03:21 PM
Hi, shepgirl - I am on the second floor of a building in a 2 bdrm condo! No basement...and my second bedroom is an office, with computer and everything.

Besides...I would have to move the cabinet with folded blanket where my furbabes look out the window! :D Can't do THAT! :)

Maybe one day I will have a little yard somewhere.

Oops, sorry Catty, didn't realize - guess a condo would pose a problem. But heck, if your living room is big enough I would put it in there. You'd have to make sure your furbabbies don't get at it. The small garden you do have seems to be flourishing well though.

Taz_Zoee
08-25-2008, 06:26 PM
Nice. We had a garden with LOTS of things a couple years ago. Too lazy lately to get one started. Maybe next year.

:) Yup if I would have heard you come running in saying I gotta pea == I would have said so what..:p

I did LOL when I read that she said she's got a pea. And my dad would have said - what, are you selling tickets? :rolleyes:

Daisy and Delilah
08-25-2008, 08:50 PM
I love it!!! How cool!! Maybe I can convince my Mom to have a garden on her patio. Thanks for sharing!!:D