PDA

View Full Version : Damage control during job hunt....

catnapper
08-15-2008, 10:57 AM
Hubby is on the hunt for a new job. He's had several AWESOME interviews and no job offers. On a hunch, he had a administrator friend from another state call posing as a possible new employer. His current principal (he's a teacher) answered "no" to the standard "would you hire him again if you had the chance?" Hubby knew in his heart that was happening and it was like a gun shot to have it confirmed.

Hubby HATES his current job. He's feeling rail-roaded into the "he's a bad employee" position he's in. I won't go into the ILLEGAL things they've done to him and the union is turning a blind eye. He even took off the last part of the school year due to stress and being in a poisonous environment. Already, he's starting to get the chest pain he hasn't had all summer.... just thinking of going back into that place is stressing him out. However, his current principal has sabotaged any hope of getting out of the district by telling potential employers he'd never rehire him.

How can he get a new job if every employer is going to hear his current district would not rehire him? I know myself that my last employer would freely tell anybody what a horrible employee I am.... while my current job just rewarded me with the honor of being the #1 employee in the company's 5 stores!!! I'm the same person, the same employee... I was just in an environment that didn't mesh with my personality. Did that mean I'd be a bad employee for EVERY company? Thank God my current employer never called for a reference because I probably wouldn't have my job today!

HOW can hubby beat this? School hasn't started yet - it starts next week. I have the feeling that he'll be going out on disability again before labor day just based on the stress and how he's reacting already.

PS:
After the phone call to his current school, the admin. friend called back and asked hubby "what did you DO?!?!" because apparently it takes a LOT to have a principal admit "No, he wouldn't rehire them again". honestly, it would take volumes to explain what happened. Let me tell you, what happened is something the school is legally negligent on and they're passing the blame onto hubby because he's the one who realized the legality and started to blow the whistle. So rather than have him blow the whistle on the school, they're laying the blame on him.

Freedom
08-15-2008, 11:36 AM
bummer. I used to head this off in the interview, even before they made the phone call. Because, if they get to the point of calling your CURRENT employer, they WANT you. Typically, they phone your prior employers ahead of time, but wait on the current employer as everyone knows that will put the word out that you are looking. No one intentionally does that.

Address the issue IN the interview. Sort of a "why I am looking when I have a job" type of thing. Capsulize, and tone will be very important. Have to sort of avoid the "gossip" attitude, the " they are nuts, I am superb" stuff. It will take some drafting at home ahead of time.

Best wishes to him.

kuhio98
08-15-2008, 12:36 PM
If his current principal wants him gone, why wouldn't he talk him up -- say he walks on water -- to get rid of him?

Does he just want him around to keep torturing him?

Medusa
08-15-2008, 12:52 PM
Try this affirmation; it's worked for me and a friend of mine who was out of work for over a year and she got hired w/in days of affirming it over and over again daily. "All employment doors are now open to (hubby's name). All employment channels are now free to (hubby's name). The whole wide world now says 'yes' to (hubby's name)." Keep saying it or better yet, if he's receptive to it, have hubby say it, until he gets the job he wants. It works miracles.

Catty1
08-15-2008, 01:31 PM
I think calmly confronting the principal - best with a registered letter - requesting a list of reasons why he would not be hired back might be the ticket.

Following up on kuhio98, adding that if his job performance is unsatisfactory, he is more than happy to come to a mutual agreement about moving on, if the principal can recommend him to another position. (Maybe having to focus on things he does right will be a good mental exercise for this person!)

Another point - In Canada, or in Alberta, it is ILLEGAL for a prospective employer to ask ANYTHING about your previous job performance. All they are allowed to verify is that you are working, or did work, where you did.

He might want to state up front at interviews that the interviewer will get a negative reference when they call the school. He can simply say he has made attempts to rectify the situation, with no success.

If he has friends, particularly within the school, that he can use as personal/professional references, they can back up that he is good, and validate his current difficulties with the principal, again without getting into the 'gossip' arena.

There IS a perfect spot for your hubby - you just wait! :)

Ginger's Mom
08-15-2008, 02:33 PM
If his current principal wants him gone, why wouldn't he talk him up -- say he walks on water -- to get rid of him?

Does he just want him around to keep torturing him?

Because he doesn't want to damage his own reputation by recommending a "trouble maker." Catnapper, please don't think I believe that is what your husband is, I am just saying that from the viewpoint of the principal.

I think Sandie's idea is a good one. Be straight forward, indicate that you are leaving your present job for a reason other than advancement, so that they know that the present job is not anxious to hire you back and why before they make the phone call.

Freedom
08-15-2008, 04:12 PM
Another point - In Canada, or in Alberta, it is ILLEGAL for a prospective employer to ask ANYTHING about your previous job performance. All they are allowed to verify is that you are working, or did work, where you did.

If he has friends, particularly within the school, that he can use as personal/professional references, they can back up that he is good, and validate his current difficulties with the principal, again without getting into the 'gossip' arena.

There IS a perfect spot for your hubby - you just wait! :)

First point, I believe it is the same here. That is why they ask "would you hire this person again?" It is the only way to do it.

Great suggestion to use colleagues from the "touchy spot" as references!

NoahsMommy
08-15-2008, 05:17 PM
I've had this issue countless time due to my illness and because I work in the medical field (it actually pertains to ANY field), most of my past employers wont hire me due to my illness.

I've started working with temp agencies, and they become your reference. Tell him to be honest and the temp agency will speak up for him. He can also be honest in his interview and tell them that he's leaving on 'not so great terms' that pertain to morals and honesty. He can tell them that his current principal is giving him a bad name because he (your hubby) is standing up to the dishonesty, etc. going on.

It is a really hard position to be in. My working with these temp agencies that either are in my field (medical temp agencies for 6 months or regular temp agencies off and on) have given me my credibilty back.

I wish you both lots of luck. You both truly deserve it.

Hugs, Kelly :)

NoahsMommy
08-15-2008, 05:21 PM
He can also give direct names and phone numbers of any higher ups that he has a good relationship with, along with co-workers that can speak to what the current situation is....so if a call is put in to this jerk principal, the new employer will have all his/her info to make an educated decision.

I too, believe there is a perfect spot for him. Whereever that may be, they will be more than LUCKY to have him!

btw, in the U.S. (or maybe its a state-by-state thing, but I'm almost 100% certain its a country-wide law) employers can legally only ask a few, vague questions, such as:
'How long did he/she work for you?'
'Is he/she rehirable?'
'Did he/she have a problem with attendance?'
Vague, but will be able to give a picture.

They cannot ask: 'Can you tell me about this former employee?' or any questions that lead to personal information, such as 'Why is this employee leaving your company?', 'Where there any disciplinary problems with this employee?', 'Has this person been arrested? Did he/she steal from you?' etc, etc...

Some times, if your former employer is extremely rigid or overly conservative, wont even answer the "would you hire this person again?" question! When I left State Farm, my former boss, with whom I had a fabulous relationship with, told me that State Farm's position on those types of questions was that they could NOT answer them. All they could answer were, "Did he/she work for you?" and "How long did he/she work for you?" that's it! <---this kinda worked for me in the "attendance" area, even though my absences were approved and my management and co-workers were amazing with me.

By law and former employers are only allowed to answer in "yes", "no", or "not applicable" -type answers so as to avoid any lawsuits.

Lady's Human
08-15-2008, 05:22 PM
As much as we disagree, maybe you should PM Sara (Edwina's Secretary)?
IIRC, this is her ballpark.

BitsyNaceyDog
08-15-2008, 05:35 PM
I don't have any advise to give. I wanted to wish your husband luck in his job hunt. The others have said it and I too believe that he will find the perfect place.

catnapper
08-15-2008, 09:50 PM
Thanks everyone.

Lisa, I agree with you.... if they dislike hubby so much, WHY keep him there? Why not just let him go? Why torture him?

Hubby spoke with several people today and it seems a big ol' can of worms is opening. He got confirmation from a union rep the school wants to fire him (though no reason why) and he'll at least make it to January before they can officially give him the ax. The union rep is FURIOUS that nobody filled him in on this situation. He said similar cases are being covered over elsewhere within the district.

In the meantime, the people he spoke with today DID say this could end up a major court case.... and that he'll be committing career suicide because no other school will want a whistle blower. At this point, he doesn't care. He's tired of taking the treatment he's gotten and is going to stand up do tell the truth.

Looks like we're going to go back to being financially stricken because he's not going to be working much longer. :( But as long as he does whats right, and feels good about it, we'll make it through.Sigh

Stay tuned.... if it turns out the way people have been talking to hubby today, this might actually make national headlines. Yes, its that serious.

Edwina's Secretary
08-15-2008, 10:14 PM
btw, in the U.S. (or maybe its a state-by-state thing, but I'm almost 100% certain its a country-wide law) employers can legally only ask a few, vague questions, such as:
'How long did he/she work for you?'
'Is he/she rehirable?'
'Did he/she have a problem with attendance?'
Vague, but will be able to give a picture.

They cannot ask: 'Can you tell me about this former employee?' or any questions that lead to personal information, such as 'Why is this employee leaving your company?', 'Where there any disciplinary problems with this employee?', 'Has this person been arrested? Did he/she steal from you?' etc, etc...

Some times, if your former employer is extremely rigid or overly conservative, wont even answer the "would you hire this person again?" question! When I left State Farm, my former boss, with whom I had a fabulous relationship with, told me that State Farm's position on those types of questions was that they could NOT answer them. All they could answer were, "Did he/she work for you?" and "How long did he/she work for you?" that's it! <---this kinda worked for me in the "attendance" area, even though my absences were approved and my management and co-workers were amazing with me.

By law and former employers are only allowed to answer in "yes", "no", or "not applicable" -type answers so as to avoid any lawsuits.

Sorry...but this is all wrong. An employer can ask anything they want. An employer can answer anything they want to answer.

Many employers have a policy that they will not give out any information except dates of employment and position held, but it is not the law. (I recommend my clients not to give out any other information.)

If fact, if an employer fails to disclose certain imformation to a prospective employer they can be held liable. (Such as if there was illegal activity, violence...that type of thing.)

Catty1
08-16-2008, 12:00 AM
Kim - is there anything your hubby could do through temp agencies? There are many kinds...

Driving school bus? I don't know what it pays there, but might be worth a shot. Maybe fore a private school (they pay better).

And if this thing does blow wide open to the national headline stage, well, he won't be alone - and, ironically, might open the doors to more and different job opportunities.

I am glad the union got angry about SOMETHING - you indicated they haven't been all that helpful before.

{{{{hugs}}}}

kuhio98
08-16-2008, 12:47 AM
Kim ~ I am so sorry about this. The stress on you and hubby must be horrible. If it all blows up -- and they make him an offer to just "go away" think about getting legal counsel. A lawyer could help make sure that a severence package includes a training/school stipend. If hubby is going to be starting a new career, they might as well help finance the schooling.

We have a family member who had a horrible time in the public school system. He is very femine and the faculty made his life miserable. He left the school system and is teaching at a private school. He loves it and they love him. If hubby still wants to teach, is that an option?

jennielynn1970
08-16-2008, 01:20 AM
Dang. What is it with school districts in this area?? Bethlehem is going down the tubes as well. Our assistant to the superintendent quit in the middle of the school year and went to Kutztown (he is a sucky guy, so I'm glad he's gone, but still... it speaks volumes about our district to leave like that).

Why didn't the union rep know anything, or is he saying he didn't know anything?? Didn't the person from hubby's school report to the union person, or is that person trying to keep on the good side of the district?

I hate all the game playing that goes back and forth. I don't like the work situation I have at my school, but there's not much I can do about it, although I'm glad it's not so bad that there's legal issues. Gosh. I feel horrible for Grant.

The one principal I worked with really black balled the one teacher I had worked with. She was a 1/2 day kinderg. teacher, and wanted to be full time. The principal talked her into working in the standards office that had just been instituted back when NCLB was started. Well, this principal used her like her own personal gopher. It was horrible. Then when the teacher went to look for jobs in other districts, the principal talked so much crap about her, she couldn't get a job anywhere, and the principal was preventing her from getting any of the full time positions in other schools in our district. It wasn't until our principal retired, and about a year later, this teacher finally got a full time position in another school. It was horrible how she was abused and treated, but the union couldn't do anything either.

When administrators have power, and they don't want to take responsibility for what is going on, they will just pass it on to someone beneath them. It just sucks. Hopefully something will happen and Grant will get another job, and karma will bite this administrator in his butt.

Cataholic
08-18-2008, 08:23 PM
Dang, ES, you beat me too it! :D I hate how trials get in the way of my real interests....like PT!