PDA

View Full Version : Good thoughts for Ripley please - Update post #18

jazzcat
08-14-2008, 06:06 PM
I'm taking my old boy to the vet tomorrow. He's just not acting right and he's trying to tell me something. Today he jumped up on my dresser, backed up to the mirror and started to spray right in front of me. When he sprays so blatantly I know he is trying to tell me something. Afterwards he wanted to spend time in my lap (he is not much of a lap cat) and he even curled up with Rumor in the recliner - this never happens.

There have been some other things I've been watching lately. He's thrown up a few times over the past few week or so but last night he was acting like he needed to eat something to make him throw up but he never did.

Another concern is his abdomen seems very full and tight. It's been that way to an extent the past year and the vet has just been watching but now it seems so big.

I'm sure it's time for sub-q fluids and I'm going to ask the vet to teach me to do it at home to save Ripley the stress of a car ride and vet visit. The stress makes his kidney failure worse.

jenluckenbach
08-14-2008, 06:41 PM
Ripley is definitely in my thoughts and prayers. And some {{{{{HUGS}}}} for you.

Catty1
08-14-2008, 06:55 PM
Hugs and prayers for Ripley.

I hope his sub q's at home will make him even happier and better, cause he is with his mom.:love::)

hugs!

sugarpaws
08-14-2008, 06:57 PM
Yes, best wishes from our family to your little boy and to you also!
Marina

Emeraldgreen
08-14-2008, 07:54 PM
I hope that you will be able to find out what is happening with Ripley and why his tummy feels so tight and full. Thoughts and prayers going out to both of you.

krazyaboutkatz
08-14-2008, 08:30 PM
Lori, I'm sorry to hear that he's not feeling well.:( I hope that everything will go well at the vets tomorrow. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent his way.

Grace
08-14-2008, 08:37 PM
Prayers and good thoughts headed your way.

jennielynn1970
08-14-2008, 11:36 PM
I hope Ripley will be ok. Thoughts and prayers going out for him!

kt_luvs_kitties
08-15-2008, 02:18 AM
Prayers for old boy Ripley and *HUGS* for meowmie.

Isn't it so hard to deal with them getting older? But he is lucky in that you have not just give up on him, or got tired of him and his ailing body, and had him PTS because he is alot to deal with. You should be praised for being such a great meowmie.

I do hope you learn how to do fluids at home, it is easy, and will be less traumatic on him. Not to mention less expensive for you.

Please keep us updated. Kt and kitties

shais_mom
08-15-2008, 03:34 AM
gentle hugs and prayers on the way to Ripley and Mom.

moosmom
08-15-2008, 06:05 AM
Thoughts and prayers for both you and Ripley on their way from CT.

ChrisH
08-15-2008, 06:19 AM
Positive thoughts and prayers on the way.

Randi
08-15-2008, 06:47 AM
I'm sorry to hear that Ripley is not quite himself. :( I hope the vet can find the cause and do something about it. Sub-q fluids may just be the answer, and I hope the vet can visit Ripley in your home, so he won't get stressed.

Fister and I are sending lots of positive thoughts and good wishes. :)

(((Hugs))) to you.

Medusa
08-15-2008, 06:56 AM
Prayers going up for Ripley and you that all will be well. SubQ's are easy to do and, you're right, it's less stressful on the cat. You'll probably see him perk right up after one.

Killearn Kitties
08-15-2008, 08:18 AM
My thoughts are with you and Ripley. I hope that your boy can be made more comfortable and happy.

Felicia's Mom
08-15-2008, 09:41 AM
Sending prayers and positive vibes to you and Ripley. I hope you can find out what is wrong.

kittykatharine
08-15-2008, 01:13 PM
Prayers and thoughts being sent your way. The Sub-Q fluids at home are an extremely good idea, and you are right, it will make him feel better. You and Ripley are in everyone at PT's minds! :love:

jazzcat
08-15-2008, 02:04 PM
We are back from the vet. Well there is good news, bad news and were not sure news

The bad - Ripley has a grade 2 heart murmur. My vet did not hear this 6 months ago. For now since it's just a grade 2 we are going to watch and see.

The good - Ripley hasn't lost any weight, he's actually gained an ounce so she was very pleased with that. She didn't feel his kidney failure has worsened so hopefully we are status quo on that.

The not sure - his abdomen did seem even harder to her but when she was able to really dig in and feel she didn't feel any masses but then he would tense up his muscle and pop her fingers back out. So, she thinks what we are feeling are his muscle bands tightened but she is concerned he is keeping them tense and tight because something might not feel right. For now she wants to continue watching and if I notice anything changes she'll get an x-ray.

Basically she said we should just keep him comfortable and happy with supportive care for now. She said at his age she feels trying to do a lot of tests and diagnostics may just aggrevate his conditions. I feel good with that decision and agree 100%.

They also showed me how to give the sub-q fluids and she wants me to do it every 2-4 weeks as needed.

So for now my old boy is loaded up with fluids and resting on the bed. After seeing the angry glint in his eye when they gave him the fluids I knew he still has his fighting spirit and isn't giving up any time soon.

Barbara
08-15-2008, 02:29 PM
If Ripley needs the sub-q fluids only every 2-4 weeks he's definitley in good condition kidney-wise.
Hoping very much that also the other things keep in the background for a long time to come.

Killearn Kitties
08-15-2008, 03:22 PM
Kisses to Ripley! This doesn't sound to bad all in all. Better than you might have feared.

Please tell him I was asking for him and the girls send headbumpies. He's always been one of my favourites. :D

sugarpaws
08-15-2008, 06:05 PM
Lots of kisses on his favorite spots (which I don't know yet, but will find out). Get plenty of rest on meowmie's bed!
Marina

PS How old is he?

krazyaboutkatz
08-15-2008, 07:44 PM
Thanks for keeping us updated. It sounds like Ripley is doing pretty well and hopefully you'll be able to keep him as comfortable as possible.:) Both my Sunny and Sky also have slight heart murmurs and I don't what grade they are but both my regular vet and holistic vet just said that I don't need to do anything and we'll keep an eye on them. I hope that Ripley will start feeling better soon.