PDA

View Full Version : Oh, that Pirate...Sirjury Stopped & She's home

Glacier
08-14-2008, 01:22 PM
Sunday, I considered calling the mobile vet for Pirate. She had an awful day and I really thought the end was very near.

Tuesday she rebounded a bit. Her eyes were lively again even if her body couldn't keep up.

Last night, she followed me around the yard while I scooped poop, as she has since I got her. Wobbly gait and moving slowly, but she was moving.

This morning, she felt good enough to lunge at Sleet and try to bite her as they went outside! And she told Mac off when he got in her way. Pirate is almost silent. She's right ticked off when she actually makes any noise and she yelled at Mac!

She's off to the vet this afternoon to have a growing lump checked out and I'm asking for stronger pain meds, who care about side effects at this point! When I booked the appointment, I wasn't sure she would be coming home again. She's definately failing, but I don't think she's ready to go quite yet.

Husky_mom
08-14-2008, 01:33 PM
sending good well wishes for Pirate.... yo sure have been doing the absolute best in making her time here the greatest.... hoping she gets better and gets to stay longer here...

thank you for giving this pretty lady an opportunity to know love and care as she should have had all the time before...

Cinder & Smoke
08-14-2008, 01:48 PM
This morning, she felt good enough to lunge at Sleet and try to bite her as they went outside!
And she told Mac off when he got in her way.
Pirate is almost silent.
She's right ticked off when she actually makes any noise and she yelled at Mac!

She's off to the vet this afternoon ...

... I don't think she's ready to go quite yet.

Hang in there, Pirate!!

Keep showin Mom you're game to keep on truckin, and she'll help to keep you going!

Be NICE to the White Coat, and sorta follow the Doc's orders.
We'll *yap* at'cha later.

;)

cyber-sibes
08-14-2008, 01:51 PM
Sending sibe vibes for Pirate. Hope the ole gal is an easy "fix" with nothing major cropping up. We all get a little cranky as we get older, :rolleyes:, LOL. but she tried to bite Sleet? Those two have a little turf war going on, don't they? ;)

Grace
08-14-2008, 03:00 PM
Lots of prayers and good thoughts heading north for Pirate and the rest of you. She sure has a wonderful life with you.

Glacier
08-14-2008, 03:06 PM
We all get a little cranky as we get older, :rolleyes:, LOL. but she tried to bite Sleet? Those two have a little turf war going on, don't they? ;)

They hate each other! They exchange snarls daily. Sleet is the most mellow dog, never had a problem with another dog in her 14 years, but she can't stand Pirate. They are both too decrepit to really do anything about it though! If they were younger, they'd be in seperate pens!

Catty1
08-14-2008, 03:23 PM
They remind me of a cranky very elderly couple who squabble all the time!

I hope Pirate gets many more happy and quality days with you.:)

jennielynn1970
08-14-2008, 03:28 PM
Awe... two grumpy old doggies! Hope Pirate will feel better after her visit to the vet. Feel better hugs to her, and to old lady Sleet! :love::love:

Cinder & Smoke
08-14-2008, 03:54 PM
They exchange snarls daily.

They are both too decrepit to really do anything about it though!
If they were younger, they'd be in seperate pens!

Don't < snikker > !! :p

Some day you'll be 'old & decrepit' and < snarl > at the neighbors.

:D

chocolatepuppy
08-14-2008, 04:27 PM
Pawsitive thoughts and prayers for Pirate. May she have many more days with you and your pack.

Alysser
08-14-2008, 05:15 PM
Aww, not pretty Pirate. :( I really love that girl, she's probably my favorite of your pack. I hope she has many more days with you! Good luck at the vets.

Queen of Poop
08-14-2008, 06:16 PM
Prayers that the white coats can give Pirate something to make her feel less pain and maybe be a little less cranky.

Lovin the old girls!!

Glacier
08-14-2008, 07:09 PM
Pirate will be heading back to the vet tomorrow. The lump she's been scratching at is a tumor, probably some form of skin cancer, and it's infected. It is not going to heal on it's own and likely only going to get worse. Jessica is going to remove it tomorrow. She's going to try just a sedative and local anasethic first. I'd rather not put Pirate under if it can be avoided. She'll have pre-surgery bloodwork done just in case anyway and will get fluids throughout the day. Her last round of blood work was very good, but she's frail!

She getting new pain meds too. After the surgery, she will be put on tramadol. We'll use that alone for five days to wean her off the metacam. Then we'll add prednisone to her pharmacy. Metacam and pred can't be mixed. Tramadol is safe to mix with all her other medications, plus pred. Jessica isn't sure that it will help her straighten out when she walks, but it should make her more comfy. Pred is apparently our best shot at getting her body in a straight line again!

Her heart sounds good and her lungs are clear. She was not happy at the clinic, but is quite happy hanging out in the van while I pretend to work for an hour!

As a little bonus for the day, there is a "for sale" sign up at her former owner's house! I know the real estate agent. I'm gonna call her and tell her to sell it to nice people who won't complain about my dogs!

Cinder & Smoke
08-14-2008, 07:38 PM
Pirate will be heading back to the vet tomorrow.
The lump she's been scratching at is a tumor, probably some form of skin cancer,
and it's infected. It is not going to heal on it's own and likely only going to get worse.
Dr. Jessica is going to remove it tomorrow.

Hi God ~

Hope Ya got Tubby & Paenut on alert fur a Silver Klowd Flite inna mornin fur Pirate's Sir Jury!
Y'all know how ta find da Yukon by now ... they'll have kawfee ready.
And You'll need *fresh Skrubbies* (so'z Ya can *impress* Doc Jessica) :).

We'll all send Prayers that the the tumor thingy *pops* rite off wiffout komplikashins.
Maybe You'll have tyme ta send a {{{God'sHug}}} to Momma Glacier, too.

THANKS, God! ... Hava Safe Flite!
/s/ the Prayer Pups

She getting new pain meds too.
Jessica isn't sure that it will help her straighten out when she walks,
but it should make her more comfy.

Is "walkin straight" important?
Gorsh ... *I* don't alluz "walk straight". :p

As a little bonus for the day, there is a "for sale" sign up at her former owner's house!

:D That's a good way to *improve* the neighborhood!

Freedom
08-14-2008, 08:11 PM
Hey Pirate, I think Mom is right, you aren't ready to call it quits just yet. Need to snarl at Sleet a few more times.:D

Prayers that all goes well.

Queen of Poop
08-14-2008, 08:25 PM
Surgery, for the old lady, my goodness!! I do hope Pirate can do it without being anestetized. We will have all paws crossed in the house tomorrow morning and pray that it goes well. Hugs for you both.

kimlovescats
08-14-2008, 08:53 PM
Prayers coming for dear sweet Pirate!:love:

cyber-sibes
08-14-2008, 09:11 PM
Wooos Pirate,
we'll be thinking of you tomorrow, paws crossed all goes well & you'll be back home in no time!

Glacier
08-15-2008, 01:36 AM
Is "walkin straight" important?
Gorsh ... *I* don't alluz "walk straight". :p

Normally, it wouldn't be, but she walks at an angle...her head and her butt going different directions. It doesn't work so well!

Thanks everyone. i will update tomorrow!

Ginger's Mom
08-15-2008, 05:56 AM
Paws crossed for our Pirate-girl. Hope all goes well.

anna_66
08-15-2008, 08:51 AM
Saying lots of prayers for Pirate's surgery today.

Bengalz
08-15-2008, 09:05 AM
Pirate (and Tamara) - I hope your day goes well today; healing thoughts and many hugs for you.

Betty

gini
08-15-2008, 09:57 AM
Sending lots of prayers and good vibes for Pirate today. She sure has known a better life since moving in with you!

cassiesmom
08-15-2008, 09:58 AM
The lump she's been scratching at is a tumor, probably some form of skin cancer, and it's infected. It is not going to heal on it's own and likely only going to get worse. Jessica is going to remove it tomorrow. She's going to try just a sedative and local anasethic first. I'd rather not put Pirate under if it can be avoided.

Thoughts and prayers for pretty Pirate girl from Chicago. Hoping it can be done with sedation and local anesthesia. Glacier, do you think that's why she has been irritable with Sleet, because she's hurting?

Glacier
08-15-2008, 11:03 AM
Glacier, do you think that's why she has been irritable with Sleet, because she's hurting?

Nope, I think that's just a girl dog thing. Sleet and Pirate have had a battle going on since day 1! I keep all my females seperated when unsupervised, greatly reduces the bloodshed in the yard!

Pirate is at the clinic and less than thrilled with me. She was a pretty good morning, even tried a wobbly version of her senior zoomies for the first time in a week! I tried to tell her that after all this with some new meds, she will feel like zooming and she might not fall over while she does it! I hate putting the former shelter dogs back in a concrete kennel. I'm never sure that they understand I'm coming back for them in a few hours!

lizbud
08-15-2008, 11:40 AM
I hate putting the former shelter dogs back in a concrete kennel. I'm never sure that they understand I'm coming back for them in a few hours!

I can understand that. So would I.:(

Sorry I haven't commented earlier, but Pirate is in my prayers. I do hope the
Vet can remove this tumor & the new meds help Pirate enjoy her life again.

Daisy and Delilah
08-15-2008, 01:50 PM
Thoughts and prayers going out to Pirate and her family. {{{{{HUGS}}}}} Get Well Pirate!!!!

pitc9
08-15-2008, 02:03 PM
Thinking of Pirate!

Husky_mom
08-15-2008, 02:15 PM
awww... I would love to see her zoomies....

donīt worry Pirate.... youīll be home in no time... just hang in there a lil while and be good....

hugs to you both.... keeping you on our thoughts

Glacier
08-15-2008, 03:27 PM
Pirate crashed during the attemped surgery this morning. Her breathing and heartrate became erratic. My favorite vet was doing the procedure and he was able to bring her out of the crisis, thank God for small mercies. Rick doesn't want to try anything else at this point. He said her bloodwork this morning showed some sub-clinical anemia, not enough to cause the trouble she had under sedation. He doesn't want to risk anything else at this point, a decision I fully support! He wants to keep her for a couple more hours, just to make sure she fully recovers. She getting fluids and oxygen right now as a precaution. I'm hoping to talk to him more when I pick her up, but from what he said this morning, we are at the "keep her comfy and enjoy her" stage.

I am so glad Rick was the surgeon today. I like Jessica and I think she's perfectly competent, but I'd trust Rick with my own life. Pirate is so nervous at the clinic, I would have felt even worse if she had died being scared and with strangers. When the time comes I am calling the mobile vet to come to the house for her.

Cinder & Smoke
08-15-2008, 03:49 PM
Pirate crashed during the attemped surgery this morning.
Her breathing and heartrate became erratic.
My favorite vet was doing the procedure and he was able to bring her out of the crisis,
thank God for small mercies.

Dr. Rick doesn't want to try anything else at this point.

When the time comes,
I am calling the mobile vet to come to the house for her.

THANKS, God --- and Dr. Rick!!

Maybe that lumpy-bumpy isn't so bad after all.

When it's time --- wouldn't Dr. Rick or Dr. Jessica make a house call?
I'd think the you and the FurKids are good enough friends with the Docs
(not to mention well-paying customers) that they would be most willing to come out
to the Ranch to help a Kid to the Bridge. Maybe you should ask.

Give Pirate a gentle {{{Hug}}}.

cassiesmom
08-15-2008, 03:55 PM
This is a photo from January's thread called "Please Welcome Pirate To The Pack".
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/Dogs%2008/traet.jpg
Pirate, I'm glad you have had these past several months to be cared about, loved and also enjoyed here on PT! Please, please make a good recovery so you can go home for more of the same. :love:

Husky_mom
08-15-2008, 04:39 PM
Poor Pirate... hand in there mate...

now letīs get back home for some yummies and peace...no more alone time...

glad it was taken care of and nothing happened to our pretty Pirate..

sending healing vibes to her recovery so she can go home.

lizbud
08-15-2008, 04:53 PM
Awww, poor girl :( I am so glad your favorite Vet was there to help
Pirate. This doesn't have to be "goodbye" just yet does it? I hope and
pray she can be stabilized & come home to re-coop. The meds might
still help her be more confortable right? Feel better soon Pirate.

Taz_Zoee
08-15-2008, 05:21 PM
Oh my, wet eyes here. :( I'm so glad the doctor was able to stop and bring her back around.
Hang in there Pirate, so you can come home and relax.

chocolatepuppy
08-15-2008, 06:24 PM
Pirate has tugged on my heartstrings since you brought her home with you. I hope she has quite a few more good days with you Tamara.

Ginger's Mom
08-15-2008, 07:37 PM
I am so sorry that things did not go as you had hoped. I am glad that Dr. Rick was able to revive this special girl, and that she has a home like your's to go home to.

Glacier
08-15-2008, 07:40 PM
This doesn't have to be "goodbye" just yet does it?

No! Not yet. She's home now. She doesn't seem any worse for wear, except she has some runny stools, which is a problem when you lack complete bowel control! But not a huge problem, compared to what could have happened! I can mop and wash blankets! She stole some food out of Paxil's bowl and drank a bowl of water. Nothing keeps that dog from her food! She wanted outside to nap in her favorite sunny spot. I made her go in the "sick bay" pen instead. Don't want the young hooligans knocking her around!

I laughed at the techs at the clinic. They didn't want to release her when I showed up because they had to help her stand and she seemed unsteady on her paws. I told them they would need to master time travel to change that; back to when Pirate was young and healthy! Even on a good day, she's a bit wobbly and I help her stand up!

I didn't get to talk to Rick. He was doing another surgery. I left my cell number for him to call when he gets a chance. He didn't change her meds, so I want to talk to him about that. Also need to thank him--the bill was much lower than I expected. He charged me less than half of the usual for the bloodwork and comped all of the emergency interventions that saved her life(the fluids, oxygen set up, ect).

Maybe that lumpy-bumpy isn't so bad after all.

When it's time --- wouldn't Dr. Rick or Dr. Jessica make a house call?

Well, we're pretty sure it's malignant, but at this point, it's not worth the risk to remove it.

No, the clinic doesn't do house calls anymore. He used to do euthansias at home, but since the mobile vet opened, he doesn't do any home calls. I'm not even sure that he does farm/horse visits anymore! Carolynne, the mobile vet, is very nice. She already comes to the house for several of the critters with on-going issues who can't handle the trip to the clinic.

Queen of Poop
08-15-2008, 09:05 PM
Well Miss Pirate, I am glad to know you are home and recovering from the ordeal that scared the crap out of all of us!! Will send some positive thoughts that that nasty old malignant tumor slows down and doesn't mess with you any more. Be well sweetheart, we love you!!

Daisy and Delilah
08-15-2008, 09:30 PM
Thank God for Rick and thank God for you, Tamara. Get well sweet girl. Get some rest and relaxation and plenty of food. {{{{{HUGS TO ALL}}}}}

finn's mom
08-15-2008, 10:18 PM
Pretty Pirate, be happy. Your vet sounds wonderful!

wolf_Q
08-15-2008, 11:09 PM
How frightening! I'm glad Pirate is okay now...as okay as she can be without the surgery. She's so lucky to have a place like yours to live out her "golden" years.

Louie and me
08-16-2008, 11:31 AM
Poor Pirate, Louie knows how you feel because he often needs a "lift up" and tends to walk with a list to one side. We recently tried a course of Prednisone but there wasn't a significant improvement to his back end and without the meloxicam, he was limping badly on his bad front leg and tramadol just puts him to sleep like a narcotic. After a long discussion with our vet we too have decided to use only meloxicam to keep him pain free and let him enjoy life as much as he can for as long as he can.
There's nothing like home, with the furkid friends and a loving family is there Pirate? Just soak up the sun and the good food and all the good wishes and prayers from your PT buddies.

K9karen
08-17-2008, 11:10 PM
Keep on truckin', Pirate, old girl!
I know when it's your time, it's your time, but, really, I don't think one person wants that to happen. We :love: you so much.
Doc Rick sounds like an angel. What a super guy!

cyber-sibes
08-17-2008, 11:53 PM
Pirate is in my prayers. Hang in there, sweetheart.:love:
It's probably safe to say that her months with you have been the happiest time of her life. Wishing her many more days of happiness.

Freedom
08-18-2008, 07:13 AM
Dear me, Pirate, you have most of the PT world routing for you! I am sure you feel all that love coming your way, to help you recover and feel comfortable. Thank goodness for Dr. Rick, and modern meds. And thank goodness you found your way to Tamara's home. Blessing to all of you.