PDA

View Full Version : Butterfly Babies

Laura's Babies
08-14-2008, 07:20 AM
Anyone seen these? They are so real looking..

http://cgi.ebay.com/BUTTERFLYBABYS-REBORN-JULIANNA-SOLD-OUT_W0QQitemZ170248772338QQihZ007QQcategoryZ122723 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

finn's mom
08-14-2008, 07:24 AM
That's wild. I don't know, though, it kind of creeps me out. :/ I can see how someone might find that appealing, though.

BitsyNaceyDog
08-14-2008, 08:14 AM
It creeps me out too, Kari. It's amazing how real she made it though. The starting price was $9.99 the winning bid was $3,051.99! She deserves it for all the work she must have put into it, but I couldn't imagine spending that much money on a doll. Wow!

Alysser
08-14-2008, 08:24 AM
:eek: Never in my life would I buy one of those, way too creepy.

shais_mom
08-14-2008, 08:46 AM
:eek:
That's wild. I don't know, though, it kind of creeps me out. :/ I can see how someone might find that appealing, though.

yup - what she said! :D
:eek:

columbine
08-14-2008, 09:04 AM
I have to admit, they're cute - but they must be awfully hard to take proper care of. And I suspect they're popular with folks who need to masquerade as new parents for not-exactly-legal reasons. Not sure what to make of "real skin."

Love, Columbine

pitc9
08-14-2008, 09:33 AM
So they're actualy baby dolls that look just like your baby??
And what's with the "real skin":eek::confused:
That's kind of weird.

Taz_Zoee
08-14-2008, 09:47 AM
The artistic aspect of it is amazing. But my question is - what would you do with it? Unless you put it in a glass case or something it's just going to collect dust. That's the only thing that :confused: me. I mean, do you keep it in a bassinet in your bedroom? It's just kinda weird, IMO.

AdoreMyDogs
08-14-2008, 10:45 AM
I find them very, very creepy. The person who creates them does an amazing job, they're very realistic, but very creepy. I don't understand the desire for something so life-like, but I've got my own real baby so maybe that's why I don't understand it.

sirrahved
08-14-2008, 12:25 PM
I think they are sick. Probably used by people that can't have children to play "make believe" which just drives them farther into psychosis.

Scooter's Mom
08-14-2008, 07:58 PM
I think they are sick. Probably used by people that can't have children to play "make believe" which just drives them farther into psychosis.

I'm nowhere near psychosis level.
I cannot have children for medical reasons.

If I had the money, I might buy one... but then again, I might spend the $3k towards adoption. If I were to pass the rigorous home inspections that is.

Please don't stereotype those of us that God did not bless with the ability to have children.

edit: yes, it's a very touchy subject

CouturePup
08-14-2008, 08:31 PM
I don't see how it is different from collecting old antique dolls?

chocolatepuppy
08-14-2008, 08:49 PM
Nope, I use my furkids to play "make believe". :rolleyes:

shais_mom
08-15-2008, 04:40 AM
I don't necessarily think Devin was implying that all people that can't have children are psychotic. She herself, recently had a miscarriage, that I'm sure she's still reeling from. :(
Personally, if buying these dolls will keep people from cutting a baby out of mother's stomach, and killing the mother, then I'm all for it.
That's what I consider psychotic.

that's just my .02 cents for what its worth.
I could be way off base.

Scooter's Mom
08-15-2008, 07:29 AM
I think the work done on these babies is amazing. My aunt actually has one, not by this lady. She got hers years ago when this was something "new" and so it did not cost her $3k to get it. She keeps her in a bassinet and said that she would be her grandbaby since it looked like she'd never have any human ones. Well, my aunt has a grandson now, and spoils him rotten. But she still loves her doll collection. Including her "real" looking one.

lvpets2002
08-15-2008, 11:09 AM
:eek: WoW they sure all look real to me.. Too scary that we can duplicate stuff like this.. Pretty Neat thow..

Daisy and Delilah
08-15-2008, 02:05 PM
WOW!!:eek: The work that it must take to make one of those babies is unimaginable. Such detail.

At first I thought it was really strange but it doesn't seem to be any different than collecting dolls, as someone said. I'm still wondering.......where do they get the skin?? That is kinda creepy.:confused:

Freedom
08-15-2008, 04:09 PM
I can't see the point, but then I am not a collector of anything. ( Er, maybe I should say I am not a collector of inanimate things?:D) I can't see what you would DO with it, just a dust collector, in my mind.

Now the photos, THOSE I could see selling for wall decor in a nursery, and in several other places.

CouturePup
08-15-2008, 06:45 PM
The "skin" is just a silicone/vinyl mix. It is just a material, nothing more.
It is not as if it is actual skin, or anything :p

sirrahved
08-16-2008, 11:44 PM
I can't have children. I have one child that didn't make it. I think if I got one I'd just be pretending... living in fantasy. Speaking from experience.

^ is close to psychosis at the moment.