PDA

View Full Version : My 15 minutes of fame! hee hee!

Catty1
08-13-2008, 08:56 PM
Open to greeners everywhere!

http://www.cochranetimes.com/Community/414450.html

Yahoo for Recycle at Home effort

Wednesday August 13, 2008

by James Emery

Frustrated by mounting recyclable garbage piled behind her condo unit, a Cochrane woman started an online discussion forum aimed to help people become more “Green friendly” from home.

Candace Carnie started the Yahoo group Recycle At Home in an effort to provide area residents a contact list of recycle organizations in town and a forum for people to discuss Green ideas, alternatives and share their thoughts.

http://images.bowesonline.com/edopt/45/story/140282.jpg
Candice Carnie started the Yahoo group Recycle At Home to give people eco-tips.

“I called it that because it’s intended to be an exchange of ideas of things that people can do at home to be Green without being overwhelmed with everything that’s out there,” Carnie said.

“There is a list of everywhere in Cochrane where you can take everything you need to get rid of. Some of the places even have pick-up service.”

The site is intended to provide an outlet for those who under normal circumstances may not be as Green as they would like to be.

“Maybe, for example, somebody has got a whole bunch of bottles but they don’t have the time or the inclination to take it to the depot,” Carnie said.

“There might be a neighbour or someone else on the forum that says ‘if you want to take my bottles, you can keep the cash.’

“So you’re still doing the recycling and reusing and there’ll be a mutual benefit.”

Statistics Canada reported that Canadians who live in single detached homes are more likely to have access to recycling services than Canadians living in mobile homes or apartments.

In an article published on their website titled Recycling in Canada, they reported that in 2004 Canada produced 13.4 million tonnes of waste, of which 3.6 million tonnes – or 27 per cent – was recycled.

But at that time, Alberta was dubbed as a province that lagged in access to recycling programs the report said, adding our province was below median.

However, recycling is gaining popularity. The average Canadian recycled 112 kg of material in 2004 compared to 71 kg in 2000, Statistics Canada reported.

Having only started a few months ago, web traffic to Carnie’s group has been admittedly sparse, but she’s hoping the site’s popularity takes off.

“I’d like to see the Cochrane community be the envy of other communities,” she said, adding that she understands some people’s resistance to going Green.

“I have a theory about why there might be some resistance to green: Change. I know there are a number of individuals who think it should be done by the big companies, and that’s where the problem is.

“I know when we were all kids, one of the things we hated was to be told to clean up our rooms and to clean up after ourselves.

“We looked forward to being grown up so we wouldn’t have to do that anymore. Well, we still have to do that. Being a good citizen means cleaning up after ourselves and looking after our fellow people, and it can be very simple.”

In 2006, 89 per cent of Alberta households had access to a recycling program, of which 96 per cent utilized at least one, Statistics Canada reported.

For more information visit: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RecycleAtHome.

Emeraldgreen
08-13-2008, 09:37 PM
Way to go Candace!! You are so good at gathering information together for people so I'm not surprised that you've put this together! :) Awesome!

Taz_Zoee
08-13-2008, 11:04 PM
Woo Hoo!! Good job Candace! I can say - hey, I know her!!! :D :D

Scooter's Mom
08-13-2008, 11:14 PM
That is awesome!

Karen
08-13-2008, 11:18 PM
Good for you - and good for the climate, too! Congrats!

Randi
08-14-2008, 05:54 AM
Great initiative, Catty1! :) The more recycled, the better! Good luck with it!

Laura's Babies
08-14-2008, 06:50 AM
Well girl! You are just into everything aren't you? WAY TO GO GIRL! Grab that 15 minutes anywhere you can and enjoy it.... and we can all say, "We knew her when....." I will go visit your yahoo group!

phesina
08-14-2008, 04:22 PM
Well done, Candace!

Freedom
08-14-2008, 05:30 PM
Way to go Candace!! You are so good at gathering information together for people so I'm not surprised that you've put this together! :) Awesome!

Ditto. Great job, Candace, congrats!

RedHedd
08-14-2008, 05:46 PM
Well done, pretty lady! ;)

jennielynn1970
08-14-2008, 05:57 PM
Good job! Nice pic too!

kimlovescats
08-14-2008, 09:04 PM
Excellent and what a pretty photo of you, Candace!;)

shepgirl
08-14-2008, 09:08 PM
Hey, great idea Candice. Want to sign an autograph...lol? I just emptied some cupboards and have 2 dozen glasses that I want to throw out, nobody needs them and I am deklunking my kitchen--sure wish we had something like that here, I'm not into garage sales either.

Catty1
08-14-2008, 09:15 PM
Shepgirl - donate to a second hand store or Freecycle them.

Go to Freecycle.org and sign up. Since a member's first post has to be an offer, you'd sign up at a perfect time. :)

krazyaboutkatz
08-15-2008, 12:57 AM
Good job! Nice pic too!
This goes ditto for me too.:)

shepgirl
08-17-2008, 07:05 PM
Catty 1- everytime I clean out my closets or cupboards everything goes to our Down's store. They support themselves by selling donated items. I just carted a van full of bags and boxes last month.
But you may be starting a better way of recycling things that normally go into the trash bin.

Catty1
08-17-2008, 08:32 PM
shepgirl - donating to second hand stores is HUGE on the recycling list here, as the goods are sold and support some very worthwhile charities, and that helps people everywhere. :)