PDA

View Full Version : Dog guards owner's body for several weeks after he commits suicide

Catty1
08-13-2008, 08:22 PM
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/080812/koddities/loyal_dog

Dog guards owner's body for several weeks after he commits suicide

Tue Aug 12, 6:47 PM

By The Associated Press

GREELEY, Colo. - Authorities in Colorado say a dog stood guard over its owner's body for up to six weeks after the man committed suicide on a remote plain.

The body of 25-year-old Jake Baysinger of La Salle was found Sunday on the Pawnee National Grasslands, about 120 kilometres northeast of Denver.

Cash, his German shepherd, was found beside him, thin and dehydrated but still alive.

Officials say the dog apparently survived by eating mice and rabbits.

The Weld County coroner ruled Baysinger's death a suicide.

The cause of death wasn't immediately determined but authorities found a gun nearby.

Baysinger was reported missing June 28. An extensive search failed to locate him, but a rancher saw Cash last weekend, went to investigate and discovered Baysinger's body and his pickup truck.

"At least we know it's over now," said Baysinger's wife, Sara. "We'd been looking for my husband for six weeks, and this isn't how we wanted it to end. At least we can close this."

Cash has been reunited with her and her two-year-old son, Lane. She said her little boy is "very close to that dog" and happy to see her again.

Investigators said the dog probably kept coyotes away from the body.

K9karen
08-13-2008, 10:14 PM
Sad, but sweet. Thanks Cash for being a loyal companion.

pitc9
08-14-2008, 09:28 AM
:(
Just as Karen said... sad but sweet in deed!

Casper
08-14-2008, 10:18 AM
Such loyalty. I'm glad they were found, and the dog was reunited with the other half of his family, hopefully Cash can help them cope and use the same loyalty he had for his owner and use it to protect the rest of his family. He sounds like an amazing dog.

It puts me in mind of when my father passed away in his sleep. We found Ethan curled up next to him trying to keep him warm, refusing to leave his side. Those two had always been inseparable...

jennielynn1970
08-14-2008, 03:31 PM
Oh my. What a sweet soul that dog must be. I hope they get him all fixed up, feeling better after being out in the elements for so long. Sad situation for all involved.

lizbud
08-14-2008, 04:23 PM
That's so very sad, for both man & dog.:( :(

lute
08-14-2008, 06:21 PM
So horrible for the man, his wife and child and that dog. Poor thing was probably confused. I couldn't fathom leaving a young child without a father.:(