PDA

View Full Version : What kinds of plant/tree do you have in your front/backyard?

M&M's Mommy
08-13-2008, 07:58 PM
My husband just planted 16 rose bushes in all splendid colors in our front yard . We also have two very tall palm trees & a bush of another type which I don't know the name. Hopefully in the future, we'll be able to plant a pine tree right in the middle of the front yard, so we can decorate it for Christmas , and maybe some kinds of flowery tree for shade and beauty .

In our backyard we currently have an avocado tree, a lemon tree, lots of chilies, and a little herb garden. We plan to plant a lot more (tropical) fruit trees, i.e. persimons, guava, longan, starfruit & mango, etc once we finish building the planter for them. Beside relatives & friends, the thing I miss most about Vietnam is the variety of tropical fruits. Thanks to living in California, now we can grow some of them in my backyard & have a piece of our homeland with us

So, what do you have or plan to have in your garden?

Emeraldgreen
08-13-2008, 09:53 PM
Sounds like you have a wonderful garden!
We have lots of towering Maple trees, Fir trees, a Holly bush that is shaped like a christmas tree, some rose bushes and one young Chestnut tree that I just love! We have some raspberry bushes, huckleberry bushes and salmon berry bushes but I would like to plant some blueberry bushes too.
I would like to plant a big veggie garden next summer. We just have a wee one that I didn't grow anything in this summer but had some hot peppers and herbs in the summer before. :)

dukedogsmom
08-13-2008, 10:18 PM
In the back yard there's a honeybell tangelo and a miniature white peach tree. Both have delicious fruit. I'm surrounded by woods filled with oak, magnolia, a few maple and huge 20-30 feet tall pine trees. They are so beautiful.

Casper
08-13-2008, 10:19 PM
Honestly, I have always been terrible with IDing trees. We have a bunch of them in our yard, though. :)

The garden still has tomato plants, squash, green beans, potatoes, bell peppers, cucumber, zucchini, and some others. It hasn't done as well as it usually does due to the extreme heat wave we had.

Since it is summer, there are a ton of cacti. I have been growing and tending to cacti for years, but most can't withstand Arkansas winters, so they come in for the winter. There are a few different species of Opuntia scattered about the yard that stay outside year round.

I'll admit it, we are more into house plants and tend to neglect anything except the veggie garden planted outside. I would love to grow some pretty flowers, but I lack a green thumb in any area aside from cacti.

critter crazy
08-13-2008, 10:30 PM
Hmmmmm.....lets see....Front yard has Maple, apple and cherry trees, Blueberry bushes, Hibiscus bush and lots of Hostas!

Back yard......well it is the woods! LOL!! We have pine, maple, oak, cherry, ash ect....:D

K9karen
08-13-2008, 10:35 PM
We have 2 huge cranberry trees (that's what I think they are..lots of red berries and the birdies show the results on our cars :rolleyes::eek:) Also 2 fire bushes at each side of the end of the driveway. Lots of greens near the house. I just bought hot pink crepe myrtles for the side of the driveway.

I planted tulips and crocus and lilies and hyacine a few years ago before my wrist accident and they all pop up and look great. I also always plant impatiens/New Guinea impatiens in salmon color, in honor of my mom. (She planted them for as long as I can remember).

I usually pick flowers by shape or color at the nursery, so every year is different.

davidpizzica
08-14-2008, 05:03 AM
I have an old apple tree in my yard, which unfortunately is nearing the end of it's life (it was planted when the house was built in 1939), and a big magnolia tree in my front yard with rhododenron bushes on on the side of the front yard.

Pam
08-14-2008, 06:40 AM
I have a crimson king maple in the front yard and a flowering plum tree by our mailbox. We also have a blue hoopsi tree (a variety of blue spruce) All of these trees came home in the back of our car from the nursery and are now HUGE, since in December we will be in this house 28 years. Our neighborhood used to be woods so we had the builder leave several of the maple trees in the back yard and there are lots more behind our fenced area. They are very beautiful except when fall comes and I have to pull out the leaf blower and rake! :p

BitsyNaceyDog
08-14-2008, 08:35 AM
We have mostly huge Longleaf Pine trees (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longleaf_Pine) and big oak trees in our yard. We have a bunch of other little trees, but I wouldn't be able to name them all.

I'm jealous you have such nice fruit trees. We had some fruit trees at our old house and since we moved 2 years ago we've missed them terribly. I want to plant some new fruit trees next year.

jennielynn1970
08-14-2008, 04:45 PM
How about weeds and mulch, lol. :p

I may have grown up on a farm (that has maples, birch, pear and a bajillion other kinds of greenery and plants), but I am so not a "green thumb" person!

Karen
08-14-2008, 05:06 PM
We have 2 huge cranberry trees (that's what I think they are..lots of red berries and the birdies show the results on our cars :rolleyes::eek:)

Hee hee - cranberries don't grow on trees, sweetie - they grow on bushes in swamps. Muse be some other berry - choke cherry maybe? What do the leaves look like?

Anyway, our front yard right now has daylilies, and peony bush that bloomed a couple months ago, and some chrysanthemum that will bloom in the fall ... the back yard has a large maple, and several yews, ash, oak, lilac bushes, buckthorn, grape vines, and lots of Queen Anne's lace and clover and butter-n-eggs, blossoming right now, plenty of goldenrod that may bloom later in the month, and - more this year because we've been having so much rain ... moss.

But what my yard grows best, as is true of much of New England, is rocks. We are on a ledge, and the back yard is flat but then become a steep hill, and anywhere, if you did, you hit rock. Small rocks, fist-sized rocks, and ledge.