PDA

View Full Version : about girl singing in opening ceremony, olympics

carole
08-12-2008, 06:02 PM
I watched the news this morning, and they were saying more detrimental comments regarding the olympics opening ceremony, apparently the little girl singing was not even singing, it was another young child's voice,who they did not choose because she was not pretty enough.

Well don't know about you, but i find that disgusting, i saw both the girls, and the one who had the real voice, was not ugly at all, i thought she was cute,imagine how that child must feel, what do you think.

Medusa
08-12-2008, 06:32 PM
Yes, it's sad and deplorable. The girl that was rejected due to her looks is being taught appearance over talent. I heard that it's because her teeth are crooked. She's a little girl! It's shameful.

Casper
08-12-2008, 06:34 PM
I heard a bit of this on the news, too. Its really sad.

I didn't see both girls, just the one who did the lip-syncing, but I heard the real singer had "crooked teeth"(not sure if this is valid). Sure, crooked teeth aren't considered an aesthetic aspect by most, but it isn't a good enough reason to deem someone as not being pretty. Like I said, I haven't seen the real singer, but I am sure she looks cute enough... she is seven, for crying out loud! It seems like a good portion of society's view on looks is a bit warped these days.

I really do feel sorry for her. :(

Karen
08-12-2008, 06:35 PM
I thought it was so, so sad for both girls. Imagine, at the age of seven, being told your voice is good - great enough to represent all of China, but you are too ugly? And imagine at the age of nine being told you are adorable, but your voice isn't good enough to be heard by anyone.

Catty1
08-12-2008, 06:48 PM
Sounds like they're ready for show biz in North America. :(

I think that wee singer should be sent a few seasons' episodes of Ugly Betty, with subtitles. Then she will learn it's ugly hearts that make decisions like this.

HUGS to the singer!:love:

moosmom
08-12-2008, 07:07 PM
Yet another reason why I am boycotting the Olympics. Looks over talent. That disgusts me. I feel very badly for both girls. It proves that the public is more interested in looks and not talent. *sigh*

Taz_Zoee
08-13-2008, 06:15 PM
That's just sad. I think they are both cute little girls.
Here (http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2008/aug/12/olympics2008.china1) is a link to the story, with pictures.

And who cares about crooked teeth? Look at Jewel. She is still beautiful (with not so straight teeth) and very successful.

dukedogsmom
08-13-2008, 09:55 PM
Wow. Talk about "damaging China's international image" A cute little girl with crooked teeth would have been a lot less damaging. I say we get her mailing address and send her some cards.

Miss Z
08-14-2008, 02:46 PM
It's awful. This year, there seems to be more coverage about incidents like this and what happens to people in China who mention the forbidden T-word than what the Olympics is actually about - the athletes of the world and their achievements.

With regards to this, however, I doubt China is the only nation that would do this. Of course that does not excuse the fact that it happened and it was of course very wrong, but there are many countries out there which would be eager to prove themselves to the more forward nations in any way necessary.

I watched a report the other night involving two rather outspoken gentlemen who said something along the lines of, 'It doesn't really matter who sang, this is China, both girls are lucky to be alive anyway.' Not exactly my opinion, but I can see at least that maybe now it doesn't matter that the girls both had to go along with this - now the world knows what really went on and China have come under criticism for it. Maybe it means they'll think twice if there's a next time.

sparks19
08-14-2008, 02:53 PM
Sounds like they're ready for show biz in North America. :(

I think that wee singer should be sent a few seasons' episodes of Ugly Betty, with subtitles. Then she will learn it's ugly hearts that make decisions like this.

HUGS to the singer!:love:

I was going to say the same thing.

It's really not much different here in North america. it's ALWAYS about looks here.

doesn't make it any less sad though