PDA

View Full Version : Foot issues.. suggestions??

jennielynn1970
08-11-2008, 01:06 AM
Well, I started working a 2nd job, cashiering, at a local supermarket about 1 1/2 weeks ago. They have very flexible scheduling (they're open 24hrs), and so far, most of the workers are nice and easy to work with. Since I refinanced my mortgage back in January, it just is more than I thought it would be, and I really need the extra cash.

My issue at the moment is that my feet feel like they are going to fall off. I'm working 6hr shifts, have a 15min break about 4hrs into the shift, where I sit for maybe 10 mins. I was wearing a pair of shoes that I wear to school (black leather with a buckle on the top... not attractive, but slip resistant and durable, and looked ok with black dress pants). I didn't have black jeans, and I thought sneakers with dress pants would just not be attractive.

So, after 1 1/2 weeks, I said to heck with the dress pants, bought summer weight black jeans and a pair a pair of EasySpirit sneaks that are nice and lightweight and feel better than my school shoes. I also put my orthotics in them, because I thought maybe that was part of the issue.

Tonight was the first night I wore them, and I got home, and my feet hurt just as much as they did the past week and a half. Ugh. They don't just hurt on the bottom of my foot, but they hurt at the ankle and above the ankle, straight up for about 4". I even got a foot spa thingy (not that I think it is working great, but it feels nice).

I don't know if I need to go to a podiatrist and see if I need new orthotics, or what is going on. We do have those black rubber pads that we stand on at the register. I don't know that they are especially helpful, honestly, but at least we have those.

Any suggestions for really achy and sore feet? I'll be working at least 20 hours during the school year as well, so I need to be able to work both jobs and be able to stand at both jobs, lol.

Medusa
08-11-2008, 07:47 AM
Well, I started working a 2nd job, cashiering, at a local supermarket about 1 1/2 weeks ago. They have very flexible scheduling (they're open 24hrs), and so far, most of the workers are nice and easy to work with. Since I refinanced my mortgage back in January, it just is more than I thought it would be, and I really need the extra cash.

My issue at the moment is that my feet feel like they are going to fall off. I'm working 6hr shifts, have a 15min break about 4hrs into the shift, where I sit for maybe 10 mins. I was wearing a pair of shoes that I wear to school (black leather with a buckle on the top... not attractive, but slip resistant and durable, and looked ok with black dress pants). I didn't have black jeans, and I thought sneakers with dress pants would just not be attractive.

So, after 1 1/2 weeks, I said to heck with the dress pants, bought summer weight black jeans and a pair a pair of EasySpirit sneaks that are nice and lightweight and feel better than my school shoes. I also put my orthotics in them, because I thought maybe that was part of the issue.

Tonight was the first night I wore them, and I got home, and my feet hurt just as much as they did the past week and a half. Ugh. They don't just hurt on the bottom of my foot, but they hurt at the ankle and above the ankle, straight up for about 4". I even got a foot spa thingy (not that I think it is working great, but it feels nice).

I don't know if I need to go to a podiatrist and see if I need new orthotics, or what is going on. We do have those black rubber pads that we stand on at the register. I don't know that they are especially helpful, honestly, but at least we have those.

Any suggestions for really achy and sore feet? I'll be working at least 20 hours during the school year as well, so I need to be able to work both jobs and be able to stand at both jobs, lol.

Check into this website, Jenn:

www.zcoil.com

My son took me to a store when I visited him in L.A. and had me fitted for a pair. I wore them when we did the tourist thing and was on my feet a lot and they helped tremendously. Plus everyone stops and says "Cool shoes! Where did you get them?" You should be able to locate a store near you from their website. Good luck. :)

moosmom
08-11-2008, 07:49 AM
Jenn,

I have a heal spur in my right heal that was very painful when I first started working in retail. I went to a foot doctor and waws diagnosed with Plantar Fasciatus (sp?) and was told to wear walking shoes. I had to go to buy very expensive walking shoes $95. He told me to wear nothing else and wrote a note to that effect to give to my manager. I was also not to walk around barefoot, wear sandals. It worked. I wore those walking sneakers out (wore them for 3 years). I then bought a $39 pair of Dexters and bought adjustable orthotics at Bed, Bath and Beyond. That worked just as well. Believe me, I feel your pain. Working on your feet 8 hours a day can is brutal.

jennielynn1970
08-11-2008, 06:13 PM
I'm just so surprised at how badly my feet hurt! I swear, it's like someone clubbed my ankles with a mallet! I worked retail about 8 years ago, but I can't remember having this much foot pain.

I did forget to include that I've broken both my feet within the past 4 years. I broke the left foot twice in that time, the right foot once. The right foot was the bones of the foot by the toes, and the left was the bones on the foot across all 5 toes, and then the bones of the ankle on the outside of the ankle.

What really hurts on both feet are my ankles on the inside of my foot.

It's just so weird. I got a call asking if I wanted to do an extra shift tonight and Wednesday, but since I'm on in the AM at 7:30, I said no thanks! I want the extra cash, but I want to give my feet a rest in between that's longer than 6hrs, lol.

Mary, those shoes are interesting looking. My luck, since I'm so uncoordinated, I'd probably lose my balance and sprain my ankles in them. :p

Taz_Zoee
08-11-2008, 06:18 PM
Mary, those shoes are interesting looking. My luck, since I'm so uncoordinated, I'd probably lose my balance and sprain my ankles in them. :p

That is exactly what I was thinking about myself! I have weak ankles anyway. LOL

Sorry, I have no suggestions for ya. :( I hope you feel better soon though.

Medusa
08-11-2008, 06:22 PM
That is exactly what I was thinking about myself! I have weak ankles anyway. LOL

Sorry, I have no suggestions for ya. :( I hope you feel better soon though.

Trust me, no one is doppier than I. The only time you really need to be careful is on steps. They're great for weak ankles and, in my case, a bunion, plus my legs get so tired from standing all day but when I wear the Z-coils, my feet and legs feel so much better.

jennielynn1970
08-11-2008, 06:58 PM
Just wondering... how much did those babies set you back??? They don't look cheap, ya know?!

I checked, and the closest place to me is about 60 miles away, in some town called Lititz. There are places in Jersey as well.

Medusa
08-11-2008, 07:55 PM
Just wondering... how much did those babies set you back??? They don't look cheap, ya know?!

I checked, and the closest place to me is about 60 miles away, in some town called Lititz. There are places in Jersey as well.

Around $250.00.

jennielynn1970
08-11-2008, 08:08 PM
:eek::eek::eek:

That would be like, 2 weeks pay at this place, lol!

zippy-kat
08-11-2008, 09:07 PM
LOTS of nurses here wear the Zcoils. They swear by them.

Jenn, I have tons of feet/leg problems, too (extrememly high arches, broke the left foot twice, sprained the right ankle, have a condition where the muscles are stronger than the bones, and I have heel spurs). I *REALLY* like Ryka's. They seem to have the most support of anything I have tried (nike, adidas, etc.) and are fairly reasonable in price. Not only that, they come in "cute-sy" styles which offer just as much support as the regular tennis shoe.

I don't like the look of the zcoils but I do want to try them on next time I see them. Gosh, you know you're getting old when you start trading in your sexy killer heeled peeptoes for who-cares-what-they-look-like-as-long-as-they-have-support! (What's next?! Granny panties?! I think not! LOL :D )

Medusa
08-11-2008, 09:09 PM
I don't like the look of the zcoils but I do want to try them on next time I see them. Gosh, you know you're getting old when you start trading in your sexy killer heeled peeptoes for who-cares-what-they-look-like-as-long-as-they-have-support! (What's next?! Granny panties?! I think not! LOL :D )

That made me laugh! I told my son "Oh ok, my girlfriends get to wear strappy little numbers and now I'm forced to wear pogo shoes." But they do work and I don't wear them everywhere, just when I need to.

Daisy and Delilah
08-11-2008, 09:50 PM
Jennie, I kniow what you mean. Foot pain is relentless.

Try Aspercreme. Rub it into the area that's going to hurt, before leaving for work. Take it with you and use it there too. It has no smell so no one will know. I also suggest a brisk foot rub when you get home. First, massage your feet and ankles and later, apply some Icy Hot or whatever you like. Also, put ice packs on your ankles/feet after coming home. I actually ordered some ankle/foot packs online. The cold lasts for too short of a time though. Other packs are much longer lasting. If you're having any burning with the pain, I like aloe gel(found in the suntan lotion section here).

Do you mind taking Ibuprofen? That or Tylenol might help while you're there too, to get you through the shift.

I find that Dr. Scholl's gel heals and regular arch supports for women are the best for me. Some others were too hard and made my feet hurt worse.

Good luck. I hope something helps.

Catlady711
08-11-2008, 10:23 PM
I have flat feet and my feet tend to 'roll' in to the inside in my shoes. I bought some Dr. Scholls arch support inserts that were advertized specifically for helping the rolling problem as well as an arch support and help with heel spurs (which I don't have yet).

My dr. says they are the best you can buy for that problem without going into the special shoes that cost $300 a pair and are custom made. I also buy the Dr. Scholls shoes with the same arch support built in. Between the two they help my feet alot. The insoles cost about $25 per pair (here anyways) and the shoes about $30 per pair (here anyways).

Other than that, a good foot soak, massage help. Also while you're working try stretching up on your toes every 15 minutes or so and shifting your weight back and forth between feet helps some.

Here's the shoes and insoles I use.

http://www.amazon.com/Dr-Scholls-Dynastep-Inserts-Packages/dp/B000FKHHQA

http://www.shoesource.ca/mens_athletic_shoes.html#dr%20scholls (third shoe down the list called sidestep)

columbine
08-11-2008, 11:03 PM
I agree that taking ibuprofen or naproxen (naproxen lasts longer) could definitely help, as could gel insoles (the ones marked "athletic" are good!) You might want to try shifting your weight, picking up your feet, and wiggling your toes frequently to help keep the circulation healthy. Make sure your socks are 100% cotton, and that your orthotics are up to date (sometimes they need to be redone as your feet adapt to varying circumstances). If your ankles are hurting, you might do better with boots that give your ankles some structural support. Stick with flat or low heels, cushy crepe or soft rubber soles, and get mentholated powder to put in your socks.

And if there's someone you can shanghai into the job, get a bottle of nice peppermint foot lotion and have them massage your feet at every opportunity! You can do it yourself if your knees and hips don't grump about it too much.

Love, Columbine

Karen
08-11-2008, 11:13 PM
Gosh, you know you're getting old when you start trading in your sexy killer heeled peeptoes for who-cares-what-they-look-like-as-long-as-they-have-support!

In that case, kiddo, I musta been BORN old! As a child they almost made me wear braces on my feet, as I tended to stand on the outside edges of them. When all my friends had clogs, I wasn't allowed to - Ma had feet problems because of bad shoes when she was growing up, so if it didn't bend correctly, I wasn't allowed to wear it!

When I was 28, Paul convinced me to see a foot doctor for the first time. When they went to take x-rays, they said "roll your feet to the side," so I easily turned them insides up and stood on the outside edges as I always have. Then the technician said "Okay, turn them on the other side .." and I nearly fell over. I couldn't do it!

I look at the pretty sandals and think "Oh, well, can't do those - my orthotics'd fall out!"

jennielynn1970
08-11-2008, 11:15 PM
I did buy some insoles, but I didn't put them in the Easy Spirit sneakers I bought the other day. I put my orthotics in. I'm just wondering if maybe those are bad for me at this point because they are over 15 years old, and my feet have probably changed since then. I know it doesn't help that I'm overweight.

I know my feet pronate inward. My ankles are really crappy. I've fallen down stairs repeatedly. I've sprained my ankles just walking a flat surface. My one doctor wanted to do surgery about 20 years ago, to shorten the tendons that were stretched out, but I decided against it.

I'm going to see if I can get a pair of the RYKA sneaks that Tonya mentioned. They have some that are made especially for people who have flat feet, or feet that pronate inward, and they aren't too expensive. Cost is really a big factor for me at this point. I bought the Easy Spirit, and they were 39.99 on sale at Macy's. I have an older pair of them, but they were shot. I used to only ever buy Saucony sneakers, but I just couldn't afford them any longer. They fit my feet really well, and were great when I used to run every day. I can't believe I used to be that active and that thin... :( My body just is so out of shape right now, so maybe that is all linked together?? :o :(

I will make an appointment with a podiatrist though. That is at least covered under my medical insurance. The one I used to go to is in really poor health and isn't practicing any longer, which is sad on both counts. He is a great guy, and a wonderful doctor. It's hard finding a new doc you like and can trust. I only ever went to the ER with my broken feet, so I never followed up with a regular foot doctor... bad I know.

I do try to stretch up on my toes while I'm standing there. I probably look silly, but I try to stretch when I can. I can't do anything about putting cream on my feet while I'm there. I get 15 minutes break only after 4hrs, and I usually try to sit for a little during that time.

I did buy a Dr. Scholls foot spa at Walgreens. It was only $29, and I thought, well, I can try to see if it helps. Not sure if it does. Didn't know if I should do heat or cold actually.

I'll have to try the doctor, try the Ryka shoes and see if I can hunt down some Aspercreme or something like that as well. I do take Ibuprofen at night before bed to try to help the foot ache.

shais_mom
08-11-2008, 11:55 PM
my neighbor uses frozen water bottles and rolls them on the under side of her foot and heel.
my dad had some $$$$ insoles/orthotics from a dr they were getting really broken down was in a lot of pain in his hips and legs and last year went to Meijer's and they have a machine made by dr scholl's where you stand on it and tells you what kind of insoles you need. he got them for about $30 and swears by them.
http://www.footmapping.com/ try to see if you can find a place that has the machine
good luck!
I swear by New Balance tennis shoes altho am wearing men's nike now for work I need a good sturdy shoe for my weak foot.

dang - it looks like the only stores that have them are Meijer's and mostly in OH and Kentucky. :(

jennielynn1970
08-12-2008, 05:33 AM
See, I'm thinking that maybe because my orthotics are about 15-20 years old, and I'm about *gasp* 100 lbs heavier now than I was back then, that these orthotics just can't stand up to what pressure my body is giving them.

I'm just so used to wearing my Naot sandals, and not wearing any shoe all summer, that maybe my foot is rebelling against that too.

There are a number of forces contributing to this, I think, and my body is pretty freaking unhappy about it right now, lol.

All I know is that my feet feel like someone ran them over from above the ankle, and I'm walking like a crippled, old, hobbling woman.

It's so not attractive. :o

anna_66
08-12-2008, 07:04 AM
I'm a waitress and I've had many problems with my feet.

I've just recently been seeing my podiatrist again and he says feet change over the years and I was refitted for new orthotics. I'm also getting new shoes for work. They suggested these (I'm sure it's because it's what the office carries;)) http://www.aetrex.com/index.html
But I figured I'd try them out.

If I were you, I'd definitely be going to the Dr.

columbine
08-12-2008, 09:03 AM
Yes, I bet your orthotics are out of date. Feet do change. Going to the podiatrist is definitely a good idea. And do consider boots; you can sometimes get nice brand-name ones on ebay, and boots with good ankle support can give you back some of the energy you're using up just keeping your balance.

Love, Columbine

Catty1
08-12-2008, 09:49 AM
Jenn - how about Googling some ankle exercises? There might be some stretching involved that could help.

Would your orthotics people have some, perhaps?

I hope you feel better soon - it's a tough break-in period for feet, especially standing still for longer than usual.