PDA

View Full Version : BEAMING with pride for my daughter!!

moosmom
08-10-2008, 03:16 PM
Amy and I went to my friend's beach house this weekend. We had a wonderful time. Very relaxing.

Amy, who hasn't ridden a bicycle since before her brain surgery, asked me if she could try. I said why not??? She did great!! I ran behind her holding the seat in case she fell. After a while I let go and she did great till she tried to turn and fell, hitting her head on the pavement. I screamed and ran to her to make sure she was okay. I had visions of when she first re-learned to walk at the hospital and she passed out. It scared the b-jesus out of me!!

I am so very proud of her! I guess it is true once you learn to ride a bike, you never forget. I only wish I remembered to take my camera.

She told me she wants to do it again. I told her that if she is serious about it, I'd get her a bike with foot breaks and a helmet (at a pawn shop of course...much cheaper). Falling and hitting her head hasn't stopped her from wanting to get right back up on that bike and ride. She such a strong person. Me on the otherhand, was a mess. I cried (not in front of her). But she's okay. It was my fault for not making her wear a helmet.

WAY TO GO AMY!!!!!! That's my girl!:D:love:

Karen
08-10-2008, 03:35 PM
I am not allowed on a bike without my helmet, either - but everyone should wear them, not just us brain-surgery survivors! I am glad she wasn't seriously hurt, and that she wants to do it again! :)

Casper
08-10-2008, 05:44 PM
You have every right to be beaming with pride! Amy certainly does sound like a strong person. Being able to "get back up on the horse", so to say, takes a lot of nerve... nerve that I probably don't have! :) If it is something she truly likes to do, I hope she continues with it. Biking is one of my all-time favorite things since I was little, and I know how much fun it can be. But I will shamefully admit that I am one of those obdurate people who don't wear a helmet even-though I should...
Way to go, Amy! :D

moosmom
08-10-2008, 06:26 PM
Amy, from the time she was diagnosed with Pineal Blastoma at the age of 16 (malignant brain tumor on her brainstem), is such a strong person. She is one of the strongest person I know. I believe her strength (and faith) is the reason she's been in remission, or as the American Cancer Society believes, is cured. Every year after 5 that she's clean of the disease is considered a cure. It's been 16 years. I'd say she's cured, wouldn't you??

What surprized me the most is that she has double vision (from the tumor) that's corrected by prisms in her glasses, so she can't drive. But boy can she ride!!!!:D:D:D:love::love:

Karen
08-10-2008, 07:40 PM
But I will shamefully admit that I am one of those obdurate people who don't wear a helmet even-though I should...
Way to go, Amy! :D

Wear your helmet! Even the best rider can be permanently brain-damaged from a fall without a helmet. It just takes one person in a car not paying full attention, or one pedestrian stepping in front to cause a rider to crash, and without a helmet, there is a frightening real chance of brain damage or death.

Please, please, wear your helmet! Wear your helmet!

Wear your helmet!

Put cool stickers on it if that'll help make you want to wear it!

Casper
08-10-2008, 08:20 PM
Wear your helmet!

You do have very valid points... you see, I really have been meaning to wear one. Its just I have always been a fussy kid, even when I was little, and never got used to wearing one.

Here, Karen, I will make you a promise that I will go out and buy one next time I'm at the skate shop. I'll be a good kid and make you and my mum proud. I pinky promise! :)

Daisy and Delilah
08-10-2008, 10:20 PM
That is just great, Donna!!!! GO AMY!!!! What an inspiration she should be for all of us!!:)

Karen
08-10-2008, 11:21 PM
You do have very valid points... you see, I really have been meaning to wear one. Its just I have always been a fussy kid, even when I was little, and never got used to wearing one.

Here, Karen, I will make you a promise that I will go out and buy one next time I'm at the skate shop. I'll be a good kid and make you and my mum proud. I pinky promise! :)

Thank you!

DJFyrewolf36
08-11-2008, 03:02 AM
*BIG HUGS* to you and your daughter! :D

Medusa
08-11-2008, 07:44 AM
I've always said that kids are made of rubber and cement. I guess that applies to kids of any age, eh, Donna? Good for her! :)

cassiesmom
08-11-2008, 10:29 AM
*BIG HUGS* to you and your daughter! :D

From here, too! I hope you find a great bargain on a secondhand bicycle helmet :)