PDA

View Full Version : cat front leg splint idea

Blackjacks_Mom
08-10-2008, 12:46 PM
Hi Everyone,

I have a 17 year old Maine Coon that is obviously getting old. His sister died a month ago and I am still getting over that. :( and sadly so is Blackjack.

His front left leg is in poor shape. It looks like his has fallen arches. The vet said the cartilage has deteriorated and there is not much that can be done.

Instead of standing on a small paw, he is standing on about 3 inches of his leg. I was thinking a small splint on his leg would help him to walk better. The only splint I can find on line, includes a bottom foot piece. I don't know how to correctly describe that so here is the link. http://handicappedpets.biz/xcart/leg-splints.html

I don't need it under his paw, I just want to keep the bottom part of his leg straight. I want it to be comfortable so he won't be annoyed by it. I was thinking something similar to those wrist bands you see people wear for carpal tunnel but not as solid, just solid on the back with support and maybe a few Velcro pieces on the front. I can't seem to find what I want on-line.

Has anyone experienced this in their cat and have any ideas? The thought of losing him is too hard to contemplate right now. I'd like to make him more comfortable, if it is possible.

Thank you.
Blackjacks Mom

krazyaboutkatz
08-10-2008, 04:26 PM
Hi and welcome to PT!!! I'm so sorry to hear about your loss and now about Blackjack's front leg.:( I've never been in this situation so all I can do is to tell you to try something like this and hopefully it'll work and make him feel more comfortable. Did your vet suggest any kind of pain meds for him? Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent his way.

Emeraldgreen
08-10-2008, 04:29 PM
Hi, welcome to PT. I'm so glad to hear that you and Blackjack have each other during this difficult time. I'm very sorry to hear about your sister's passing and hope that each day gets a bit easier for you.

It sounds like you've already consulted a vet and all that can be done is something 'creative' on your end. I don't know if this kind of thing is available online or in pet stores but your best bet is probably to make one yourself. You could buy some velcro strips and some fabric (maybe a water resistant type) and sew part of a wide popsicle stick inside the back of the homemade splint. If you're really good at sewing (which I'm not! lol) you could sew in a little draw string at the bottom and top to cinch it closed and keep it on straight.

One other idea if that one doesn't work is you could take a sturdy harness that is wide and comfortable (like this one GOOBY'S HARNESS (http://www.gbfsn.com/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=5&idproduct=4312)) and add some fabric to 'attach' the homemade splint to the harness so it couldn't ever fall off. You could sew three strips to connect the splint to the harness in the front, underneath and on the side. As long as the fabric is comfortable and flexible, it shouldn't be a problem.
(p.s. the pic of the harness is for a dog but my brother bought a small one in a petstore in Arizona and sent it to me here in Canada for my large cat and it works very well.)

One last idea:
You can buy a product at the vet clinic and maybe online called 'Vetwrap' and it comes in all kinds of neat colours and it clings to itself. You could use some soft gauze first, then insert part of a wide popsicle stick and some more soft gauze and then wrap it all in Vetwrap. The only thing you'd have to watch out for is if it's on for too long or if it's too tight you could end up with 'fat paw' and the lack of circulation can be quite painful for cats and creates a big fat paw. But if it's loose enough and changed daily it should be okay I would think.

Hope this helps. Maybe some other PT'rs will have some better ideas. LOL :)

p.s. I'm guessing that Blackjack is very handsome. I have had a Maine Coon and they are marvelous cats.

moosmom
08-10-2008, 06:54 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about your sister's passing.

How about popsicle sticks with removable tape or pieces of material??? Just spray a little Bitter Apple on it so kitty won't try and chew at it.

Blackjacks_Mom
08-10-2008, 08:33 PM
Thank you everyone for your kind words about Domino's passing and Blackjacks leg. I thought about making something, and am so surprised to discover nothing is available.

It has to be something he can't get off. And something that will stay in place when he walks and sleeps.

When Domino was getting very ill, the vet had put a port (for lack of better word) in her leg so they could give her fluids. They taped it up with stretchy gauze like stuff with cute little paws on it and Blackjack kept trying to take it off of her. She could have cared less that it was on. Never once bothered it. I think she knew it was to help her feel better. Blackjack on the other hand doesn't like a hair out of place (including on my head) and wanted it off of her. So I know he is going to be difficult. That's why I couldn't think of something I could make that he couldn't get off. I will have to make a trip to the fabric store and see what I can find.

Emeraldgreen - Yes Blackjack is very handsome with a very sweet disposition. He has never hissed that I know of. I read the posts on your Tiger today and I am very sorry for your loss. He was a very beautiful cat. I just hate it that pets can't be with us forever.

Emeraldgreen
08-10-2008, 09:03 PM
Thank you everyone for your kind words about Domino's passing and Blackjacks leg. I thought about making something, and am so surprised to discover nothing is available.

It has to be something he can't get off. And something that will stay in place when he walks and sleeps.

When Domino was getting very ill, the vet had put a port (for lack of better word) in her leg so they could give her fluids. They taped it up with stretchy gauze like stuff with cute little paws on it and Blackjack kept trying to take it off of her. She could have cared less that it was on. Never once bothered it. I think she knew it was to help her feel better. Blackjack on the other hand doesn't like a hair out of place (including on my head) and wanted it off of her. So I know he is going to be difficult. That's why I couldn't think of something I could make that he couldn't get off. I will have to make a trip to the fabric store and see what I can find.

Emeraldgreen - Yes Blackjack is very handsome with a very sweet disposition. He has never hissed that I know of. I read the posts on your Tiger today and I am very sorry for your loss. He was a very beautiful cat. I just hate it that pets can't be with us forever.

I think the stretchy gauze stuff you mentioned is the Vetwrap so it sounds like that won't work for Blackjack. But maybe you'll be able to sew something together with a comfortable fabric with some kind of added support. If you do make something, please take a pic so we can see it! :)

I'm sorry, I should have read your post more carefully, I thought you wrote that your sister had passed away and now I understand that it was Blackjack's sister. I hope that he is managing to get along without her. :(

Thanks for your kind comments about Tiger. We sure miss him.

Catlady711
08-10-2008, 11:20 PM
I just saw this product in the latest issue of one of our vet magazines. It's basically supposed to be similar to Vetrap but it's got a bitter taste built right in.

http://www.cleanrun.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=1464&ParentCat=164

I'm not familiar with this product line as we use the 3M Vetrap ones at work but it might be worth a try anyways. Possibly your vet could get some in and it might be cheaper for you since the vet can get shippments in bulk rather than you buying a single roll and paying shipping on it.

Might be worth a try. Hope you find something that works for your kitty.

critters
08-11-2008, 06:19 AM
I would try the HP Orthovet splint. If it doesn't work as such, they're heat moldable, so you can change the shape with a heat gun. You may find that you need the foot part to keep the splint from sliding up & down. You should also post at HP, and we can get you the comprehensive splint list; I don't know if a hock splint is what you're looking for, for instance.

Medusa
08-11-2008, 06:12 PM
Welcome to PT! I'm so sorry to hear of Blackjack's sister's trip to the Rainbow Bridge. Poor guy needs a break, huh? I've not had experience w/your situation but when I first got my calico, Puddy, she had a metal splint on her leg to try to straighten it out; she was born w/a birth defect and her leg stuck out like a wing and wouldn't touch the floor. The vet wrapped it too tight and the metal rubbed through the skin clear to the bone and caused a severe infection. So my vet removed the splint and let her go w/out one. (She walks w/a limp but it's better than the infection that she had.) So whatever you do, be sure that the splint is tight enough to stay on but loose enough that it doesn't cause problems. I love Maine Coons; I have two of them. My Specs is a handsome boy and my Pidge is a pretty girl. Looking forward to some pix of Blackjack and prayers going up that all will go well.....:)

Blackjacks_Mom
08-11-2008, 09:53 PM
Welcome to PT! I'm so sorry to hear of Blackjack's sister's trip to the Rainbow Bridge. Poor guy needs a break, huh? I've not had experience w/your situation but when I first got my calico, Puddy, she had a metal splint on her leg to try to straighten it out; she was born w/a birth defect and her leg stuck out like a wing and wouldn't touch the floor. The vet wrapped it too tight and the metal rubbed through the skin clear to the bone and caused a severe infection. So my vet removed the splint and let her go w/out one. (She walks w/a limp but it's better than the infection that she had.) So whatever you do, be sure that the splint is tight enough to stay on but loose enough that it doesn't cause problems. I love Maine Coons; I have two of them. My Specs is a handsome boy and my Pidge is a pretty girl. Looking forward to some pix of Blackjack and prayers going up that all will go well.....:)

Thank you for your kind words. I love Maine Coons too. Blackjack has the typical Maine Coon sweet loving disposition. I made him my avatar and will post some pictures of him (and Domino, too) when I have more time.

All those things you say, wrap too tight, infection, etc., are what concern me. I do have a few ideas now, thanks to everyone who responded and will let you know what I come up with.

Thanks to everyone for your concern.