PDA

View Full Version : Gluing a wound?

binka_nugget
08-09-2008, 02:12 PM
:rolleyes: Kee has another wound. She got it the same way as last time - She was doing her zoomies and Kai went in for a play nip but caught her skin as she ran past him. I'd really rather avoid spending $800 on another wound repair if possible. It's very small - It'd probably require just one stitch.

I've heard about people gluing small wounds. What kind of glue do I use? Superglue?

dreamparkingspace
08-09-2008, 02:40 PM
Tatum and Shawnee got into a fight once. The Vet needed to use staples to heel Shawnee's wounds (she was the loser of the fight, and the staples costs a ton like you said), but the Vet said Tatum's wounds were minor enough just to put hyrdogen peroxide on them daily. I've never heard anything about putting glue or superglue on a dog's wounds. Sounds kinda odd, but heck if I know.

Freedom
08-09-2008, 03:35 PM
Vets use surgical glue. I did a google search, some places seem to think super glue is OK on a small opening; don't want it to get inside and cause an infection.

OK on the foot pad, for foot injuries:
http://www.abcantra.com/first_aid.html

Just one example, and I don't know the web site to say yay or nay. Only you can see how large the opening is. Oh and one duck hunting web site said to use what you have, a regular stapller vs. a medical stapler, super glue vs. surgical glue.

Have to say, if I had a small wound on me or a pet, I'd try it!

dreamparkingspace
08-09-2008, 04:32 PM
No offense Freedom, but a regular stapler?!?

I wouldn't use that on one of my dogs and especially not on myself. I'd rather sell everything I own and get treatment from a real Vet (or doctor if it were me), which is what I did after the Shawnee-Tatum rumble when I sold my Fender fat strat guitar and 100 watt Marshall amp the day after the fight.

binka_nugget
08-09-2008, 05:06 PM
Yikes.. I couldn't do the stapler thing. If it was *that* bad, I'd have no problem going to a vet.. it's just wound, after wound, after wound with her, I have to start asking myself whether she *really* needs to go this time. :rolleyes:

I found this great page regarding superglue on wounds: http://terriermandotcom.blogspot.com/2006/05/superglue.html

I flushed out the wound with water and superglued the surface. Looks good, and is holding really well so far. I'll update this for reference when I see how the healing is progressing. :)

shepgirl
08-09-2008, 05:47 PM
You can buy the same glue they use in hospitals for small cuts on your dog, it's available at all drugstores - goes by the name of Second Skin. Don't know how the superglue would work versus infections...

Twisterdog
08-09-2008, 09:28 PM
I asked one of good friends, who also happened to be my vet, that same question once.

He told me, strictly "off the record, you didn't hear it from me", that there is absolutely nothing wrong with putting superglue on a minor wound.

Alysser
08-09-2008, 09:32 PM
Tatum and Shawnee got into a fight once. The Vet needed to use staples to heel Shawnee's wounds (she was the loser of the fight, and the staples costs a ton like you said), but the Vet said Tatum's wounds were minor enough just to put hyrdogen peroxide on them daily. I've never heard anything about putting glue or superglue on a dog's wounds. Sounds kinda odd, but heck if I know.

I'm sorry to say this was kind of funny. Shawnee looks much bigger then Tatum in your signature. Love how the little dog wins. ;) I know two dogs fighting isn't funny but this just struck me with a smile. Reminds me how Sassy used to order the big dogs around LOL