PDA

View Full Version : Did you watch the Olympics opening ceremony?

Medusa
08-09-2008, 07:21 AM
I watched most of it, only missed a few minutes here and there. It gave me LES. The expressions on the faces of everyone and the shine in their eyes was so heartwarming! They all were so happy and excited! The ceremony itself was spectacular and the lighting of the torch, well, I'm amazed at what the mind can conceive and achieve. I loved it! Can't wait to see the rest.

davidpizzica
08-09-2008, 08:33 AM
I watched most of it, only missed a few minutes here and there. It gave me LES. The expressions on the faces of everyone and the shine in their eyes was so heartwarming! They all were so happy and excited! The ceremony itself was spectacular and the lighting of the torch, well, I'm amazed at what the mind can conceive and achieve. I loved it! Can't wait to see the rest.

I watched most of the ceremonies too, Mary. I think they were the most spectactular opening ceremonies in the history of the summer olympics.

Kirsten
08-09-2008, 09:23 AM
I missed it, but judging from the photos I saw, it must have been stunning!!

Kirsten

Freedom
08-09-2008, 10:03 AM
I missed it too. Anyone know if it will be re-aired?

sirrahbed
08-09-2008, 10:06 AM
oh YES! I fell asleep last night during the parade of athletes but was able to watch the last hour this morning. They were spectacular!! I love anything synchronized and so was amazed at the maritime panels and the "printing press" and the running light suits:D The globe was not nearly as impressive as I was hoping though.

I have the games on today and keep stopping to switch netween channels. The gymnastics are always by favorite event.

The opening and closing are never to be missed though:D

Karen
08-09-2008, 12:31 PM
It was truly spectacular, all the synchronized movements of 2008 people on the field at a time, all the fireworks, the world's largest LED screen unscrolling centerfield, the parade of nations with all the different countries and uniforms, the children singing, and it was all amazing. My very favorite part, though, was Yao Ming, who is 7 1/2 feet tall, and was the flag bearer for the Chinese, walking with the little boy from the earthquake, 20 of whose classmates out of 30 who were killed, but who not only dug himself out, but then went back to help others. After they completed their circuit of the stadium and went into the center, Yao Ming picked him up, so he could see the rest of the ceremony high above the others in Yao Ming's arms. That simple gesture was my favorite part.

Medusa
08-09-2008, 12:33 PM
It was truly spectacular, all the synchronized movements of 2008 people on the field at a time, all the fireworks, the world's largest LED screen unscrolling centerfield, the parade of nations with all the different countries and uniforms, the children singing, and it was all amazing. My very favorite part, though, was Yao Ming, who is 7 1/2 feet tall, and was the flag bearer for the Chinese, walking with the little boy from the earthquake, 20 of whose classmates out of 30 who were killed, but who not only dug himself out, but then went back to help others. After they completed their circuit of the stadium and went into the center, Yao Ming picked him up, so he could see the rest of the ceremony high above the others in Yao Ming's arms. That simple gesture was my favorite part.

I agree w/you, Karen. That's something that little boy will remember forever, won't he? I was really moved by that.

Maya & Inka's mommy
08-09-2008, 01:17 PM
I agree w/you, Karen. That's something that little boy will remember forever, won't he? I was really moved by that.

So was I!! That little boy was so proud :)
I always watch opening & closing ceremonies. This one was very impressing, everything was so well synchronised!!

Daisy and Delilah
08-09-2008, 01:18 PM

I couldn't have said it better, Karen. It was beyond belief to see what people can accomplish. Those people should be extremely proud of themselves for what they did.

That little boy was so adorable and so proud of himself. LES here too.

cassiesmom
08-09-2008, 06:35 PM
I saw the beginning, with the drummers - WOW! And I caught the last hour, with Yao Ming and the little boy who was involved in the earthquake. I thought it was very dear that Yao Ming held him high up to see everything. I remember the '84 Olympics when Li Ning was one of the Chinese gymnasts. I was thinking last night how different the world would be if conflicts could be settled on volleyball courts and wrestling mats.

prechrswife
08-09-2008, 09:59 PM
We watched with our local group of Families with Children from China. The ceremonies were amazing. Our daughter (adopted from China) kept pointing at the TV and saying, "China!"

smokey the elder
08-11-2008, 07:42 AM
They were impressive! I liked the footsteps made of fireworks approaching the stadium like some invisible giant. The precision and coordination of the performers was uncanny! I've studied martial arts, so I especially appreciated all the Tai Chi masters doing a form together.

One thing I really enjoy in the Parade of Nations is the traditional garb a lot of the athletes wear. I noticed the athletes from colder climes were intelligent and wore lighter clothes! But those Hungarian dresses; they made me think of my grandmother's bathrobe!:p

moosmom
08-11-2008, 07:58 AM
Nope. I'm boycotting the Olympics altogether because of what the Chinese Government did to the residents of that country. They tore down all their homes and put up walls to make their country look nicer for the event, leaving their residents homeless. They also killed thousands of cats before the Olympics started so they wouldn't be a nuisance.

Don't get me wrong, I love watching the Olympics more than anyone else, especially the rowing. But I feel too strongly about the issues to do so.

sparks19
08-11-2008, 12:18 PM
I missed most of the opening ceremonies. I did catch al ittle bit of it though and it was beautiful

But I have been watching the events religiously.

anyone catch that men's 400 m relay last night? WOW

lvpets2002
08-11-2008, 12:27 PM
;) Oh yes I watched the Opening Ceremony & it was just BreathTaken Aweesome.. I am still watching the Olympics.. Of course I am Cheering for the USA && several of our special local MetroPlex Athletes in the Olympics..

Logan
08-11-2008, 01:49 PM
It was just wonderful and I watched every minute! Karen, I totally agree with you, too. Yao Ming walking beside that little boy was special, but when he picked him up, I got teary eyed!

Regardless of what is happening, politically, and even with human rights, I think the Olympics is a time that ought to be a reminder to the heads of state that people from all nations can come together peacefully. Watching the girl from Russia hug her competitor from Georgia was an excellent example of that! If only they would watch it and learn from it!!!!

I am wearing a bracelet that says "Pray for China" and I do pray for China and all the oppressed nations that one day they can have the freedom that we enjoy.

Medusa
08-11-2008, 02:25 PM
It was just wonderful and I watched every minute! Karen, I totally agree with you, too. Yao Ming walking beside that little boy was special, but when he picked him up, I got teary eyed!

Regardless of what is happening, politically, and even with human rights, I think the Olympics is a time that ought to be a reminder to the heads of state that people from all nations can come together peacefully. Watching the girl from Russia hug her competitor from Georgia was an excellent example of that! If only they would watch it and learn from it!!!!

I am wearing a bracelet that says "Pray for China" and I do pray for China and all the oppressed nations that one day they can have the freedom that we enjoy.

Well said! :)