PDA

View Full Version : did this ever happen to you?

davidpizzica
08-08-2008, 01:58 PM
I got my teeth out all right, but now I have a problem. In removing them, whatever they used to put the novocaine in nicked my left cheek and now my cheek to my left ear is numb! I hope it goes away, but I might have to see the doc if it stays like this.

Gracefulsarah
08-08-2008, 02:40 PM
My husband had all four of his widsom teeth removed at the same time. Half of his lip and chin were numb for months and months. We think the dentist just nicked one of his nerves and it took a while for it all to grow back properly. I'm not sure if this is the same situation or not, but that's what happened to him. It did eventually get better, but we were worried there for a long time. I hope yours goes away soon! Enjoy no pain while you can. :D Of course, no one's cheek usually gives them much pain, lol.

Medusa
08-08-2008, 04:52 PM
When I had the bone graft done on my jaw, I lost feeling on the right side of my jaw and the rim of my lower lip. It really doesn't cause me any problems, though, except I have to be sure when I'm eating out that I don't have food on my mouth. LOL

RockyRoad
08-08-2008, 05:19 PM
My husband had all four of his widsom teeth removed at the same time. Half of his lip and chin were numb for months and months. We think the dentist just nicked one of his nerves and it took a while for it all to grow back properly. I'm not sure if this is the same situation or not, but that's what happened to him. It did eventually get better, but we were worried there for a long time.

Sounds like that`s what it may be. If that`s the case, it usually heals itself, may take a week or so. Good idea to see your DMD if it doesn`t go away, just to make sure. You`re lucky - I just had more procedures done yesterday and my cheek and gums are so sore from injections I can barely open my mouth! Oh well, nothing good is free I guess!

davidpizzica
08-08-2008, 06:50 PM
When I had the bone graft done on my jaw, I lost feeling on the right side of my jaw and the rim of my lower lip. It really doesn't cause me any problems, though, except I have to be sure when I'm eating out that I don't have food on my mouth. LOL

Mary, I have a complication that women usually don't have, I still have to shave! I tried it, but it's still somewhat tender. I may let the beard grow until my cheek starts to improve!

Karen
08-08-2008, 06:59 PM
Mary, I have a complication that women usually don't have, I still have to shave! I tried it, but it's still somewhat tender. I may let the beard grow until my cheek starts to improve!

Absolutely, grow the beard! My best friend in high school ended up growing a beard when he tickled me and I instinctively swung backhand as hard as I could. Unlike my sister, who my whole life had come up behind me and tickled in the same spot, Mike wasn't expecting it, and didn't duck. I caught him full force square on the jaw, bruising it pretty badly. The poor thing! Fortunately, he looked good with the beard, and kept it for a while even after he had healed enough to comfortably shave.

kt_luvs_kitties
08-09-2008, 12:27 AM
I had a HORRIBLE tooth ache one morning at the vets, where I worked. The doctor gave me a syringe of novacaine, to rub on the tooth. I squirted in back on the tooth, and then, without even thinking, swallowed:rolleyes:

I knew better than to do that, BUT the rest of the day, my whole throat was numb:eek:

But my toothache went away:p

Hope it gets better soon! Kt

DJFyrewolf36
08-09-2008, 08:32 AM
You're lucky thats all it did. I had some dental work done a few years ago and they injected me...for some strange reason it felt like my brain went numb! I couldn't even drive myself home :o
Mind you all they did was inject some novicane into my gums. I didn't have any other medications at all. I ended up not having any feeling on one side of my mouth for about a month too. :rolleyes:
Medications blah...lol.

davidpizzica
08-09-2008, 12:05 PM
You're lucky thats all it did. I had some dental work done a few years ago and they injected me...for some strange reason it felt like my brain went numb! I couldn't even drive myself home :o
Mind you all they did was inject some novicane into my gums. I didn't have any other medications at all. I ended up not having any feeling on one side of my mouth for about a month too. :rolleyes:
Medications blah...lol.

I agree, DJF. I'm letting my beard grow unil I can put a razor on my face!