PDA

View Full Version : Hong Kong Animal Therapy Group to Honor 8 Dogs

TheAntiPam
09-05-2002, 01:54 PM
Animal Therapy Group to Honor 8 Dogs
Thu Sep 5, 9:57 AM ET

HONG KONG (Reuters) - A Hong Kong animal rights group will honor eight dogs this weekend to raise awareness of the therapeutic benefits of man's best friend.

The group says studies have shown that close proximity to animals such as cats and dogs can help lower blood pressure, cholesterol levels and reduce the risk of heart disease.

Eight dogs, accompanied by their handlers and owners, will be presented with trophies at a ceremony Sunday, said Anneleise Smillie of Animals Asia Foundation.

Most of them are part of a therapy program known as Animals Asia Dr. Dog, which has a 300-strong canine force that has made regular visits to hospitals, orphanages, schools, centers for the disabled and geriatric homes since 1991.

Among those honored would be Ocha, a 10-year-old Pekinese which lost her sight in an accident several years ago but which has turned out to be a favorite with blind children.

A two-year-old golden retriever called Jungle will be singled out for the inspiration he gave his cancer-stricken owner.

The owner was diagnosed with lung cancer and given six months to live, but her love for Jungle made her cling on to life for two-and-a-half years before succumbing to the disease in May, Smillie said.

Three are police dogs. One captured over 100 criminals and another found 60 grams of heroin on someone arriving at a border check point.

DoggiesAreTheBest
09-05-2002, 01:58 PM
Great article! I may be mistaken, but aren't canine's consumed as food in some parts of the Far East? This is indeed a big deal.

Ann
09-06-2002, 02:23 PM
Great to hear that! I fully understand that animals make people feel better, and I'm glad they can be such an inspiration (like for the blind kids and all).

Souraya, yes that's true, but it's not as common anymore from what I know. It's mainly older people who won't give up on tradition, younger and more "enlightened" and caring asians won't eat a canine or feline.