PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here been on hormone replacement therapy?

Medusa
08-07-2008, 06:36 PM
I've done only a little research on it so I was wondering if any of my sister PTers have been on it or if you are close to anyone who has been on it. Successes? Side effects? Any input you can give me would be greatly appreciated. :)

Daisy and Delilah
08-07-2008, 08:10 PM
Mary, I was taking Premarin for 5 years. I'm ashamed to say that. It was the only thing I could find to stop my night sweats, some of my hot flashes, and, give me a better attitude towards life.

It never affected me badly, as far as I know. I recently stopped taking it for the 3rd time. I just didn't want to take it anymore for the obvious reasons. So far, I'm having some of the symptoms again but I'm trying to tough it out. However, I'm getting very irritable and that's getting harder to tolerate.

It sure is embarrassing to be talking to someone and you break out in a heavy sweat. It makes you panic and you sweat more.

I have heard alot of negatives about it. I found alot of info through internet research. There are quite a few serious risks involved.

My sister has tried everything to avoid taking these types of pills. She does chiro adjustments, bio-identical products, over the counter products, and many other drastic avenues. None of them have worked.

I would love to hear from some of the other sisters here on the board. It's a really good question.

Medusa
08-07-2008, 08:15 PM
My dr. suggested it today. I have an occasional hot flash and that's about it, no severe sweating or anything. It's the weight gain around my middle that has us stumped and I'm currently undergoing every flippin' test there is to find out what's causing it. I really don't see the need to go on HRT. I looked into bio-identical hormone therapy but it's really expensive and I know that my ins. co. wouldn't pay for it. Would you mind if I asked you why you're ashamed to admit being on HRT? What shame is there in it? I'm seriously asking; I don't know. In my opinion, we do what we have to in order to feel better and have some quality of life.

Grace
08-07-2008, 08:26 PM
I took Premarin for about 10 years, I think it was. I stopped once the reports came out - figured it would do me more harm than good over the long haul. I'm a retired nurse, and not ashamed to say I took Premarin.

My menopause was not severe. I had had a hysterectomy when I was 30, but my ovaries were not removed. So I truly did not know when it all started. And I've been told that those of us who had an early hyst, do not have as many symptoms.

While I was taking it, it did what it was supposed to do. Once I stopped, I had some more hot spells - not really bad though. For my bones, I take calcium, Vitamin D, and walk at least a mile a day. My bone density is good, and I'm almost 70.

As for the weight gain around the middle - for some of us I swear it is inevitable. I have more there now than 10 years ago, and am fairly active. I'm also a Type 2 Diabetic. So I diet - and go to the gym every day. The middle is still there :confused:

Medusa
08-07-2008, 08:49 PM
Yes, I'm wondering too if the weight around the middle is just inevitable. My gyn told me that I had every symptom of ovarian cancer so I had a pelvic ultrasound and a CA125 blood test but they both came back normal. My family dr. feels I'd benefit from HRT but I fear that the risks outweigh the benefits, according to what I've read, which admittedly isn't much. I would never judge someone for taking Premarin or for not taking it. It's a personal choice. :)

moosmom
08-07-2008, 09:04 PM
I was put on HRT right after my hysterectomy. It made me sick. The risks out weigh benefits so I stopped. I've had hot flashes for 8 years and they've subsided (thank God!!!).

jazzcat
08-07-2008, 10:14 PM
I'm on it. I had a hysterctomy almost two years ago and I'm still trying to get the HRT type/dosage figured out but I think I'm almost there. Since I was put into surgical menopause and it wasn't a gradual thing I don't know if I'm any help but I can tell you that I went about 6 months with no HRT last summer and I almost went insane from the hot flashes, night sweats and mood swings. I've never suffered depression but I'd say I has some seriously down days.

I've tried several different types of HRT and so far Vivelle Dot has been the best. I like that it's a patch I change every three days and it's easier on my body being absorbed through the skin and not going through my internal organs.

I'm 40 years old so I definetely need it but I can tell you that I will taper off when I reach what would have been a normal menopause age for me. I'm trying to take the lowest dose of estrogen possible because my mother had breast cancer and I don't want to make my risk any greater.

BTW, I have gained weight since my hyst and I have seen it get worse on some HRTs than others. I gained 10 pounds in one month on one certain type - it was awful. Also I've noticed it goes to my waist immediately.:( That's enough to make me depressed right there!

Craftlady
08-07-2008, 11:05 PM
I've been on Femhrt for at least 7 years (low dose hormone). I LOVE IT. Never had problems.

Catty1
08-07-2008, 11:16 PM
Mary, here's a link to a section on hystersisters.com that deals with HRT. They are neither pro-or-anti-HRT.

On the page, you will see purple columns just right of centre. Those are links to the discussion boards, where you will see a bunch of selections. You might want to bookmark this page and read through the forums one at a time. It's all first-hand experience, just like you are getting here. ON the hyster board, you will get many more of them, and maybe some interesting tips.

http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/view_hoj.htm

When I had my hysterectomy last year, I kept my ovaries. So - I will still get to have menopause one day (YAHOO! - not :p ). I'll likely do low-dose HRT at that time, for a while. Will cross that bridge when I get there.

Daisy and Delilah
08-08-2008, 12:46 PM
Mary, I'm ashamed because of where Premarin comes from. After taking it for several years, I found out it comes from pregnant mare's urine. Hence, the name.
I read horror stories of how the horses were confined to small stalls so that urine could be collected. It really upset me.

I assume that all the stories were true and there could be worse scenarios than what I described.:(

Medusa
08-08-2008, 01:04 PM
Mary, I'm ashamed because of where Premarin comes from. After taking it for several years, I found out it comes from pregnant mare's urine. Hence, the name.
I read horror stories of how the horses were confined to small stalls so that urine could be collected. It really upset me.

I assume that all the stories were true and there could be worse scenarios than what I described.:(

I see. Well, I knew it came from horse urine but I didn't know the details. Hey, we do what we have to in order to feel better. You didn't know in the beginning and even if you did, it's becoming increasingly difficult to be socially and politically correct nowadays. There's just too much to keep track of. Don't be ashamed; forgive yourself and forget it. I can't imagine anyone judging you; I know I don't. :)

Catty1
08-08-2008, 01:32 PM
Here's a link to the information on Premarin, including its source.
http://www.project-aware.org/Managing/Hrt/PremarinFacts_Opinion.shtml

Here's news on a synthetic Premarin, posted by a Horse Advocate group!
http://www.equineadvocates.com/cenestin.html

It's called Cenestin, and was approved by the FDA in 1999.

Here's the list of results I got on Google when I did a search on "Cenestin":
http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=Cenestin&btnG=Search&meta=

robinh
08-08-2008, 08:44 PM
I had a total hysterectomy in 2001. I went into immediate menopause and for the first six months tried several different types of hormones to control the hot flashes and severe mood swings. My hot flashes were so bad that sweat would run down my body. I'm not ashamed to say that Premarin is the only thing that has helped me. Once we got the dosage regulated, my life has evened out and is so much better.

Logan
08-08-2008, 10:20 PM
I'm not much help because I am not taking any hormones at this time. But, I am in menopause, but with very few symptoms so far. Thank goodness! :)
My primary physician told me that he would like to see me on hormone replacement for at least one year becuase of potential osteoperosis (sp?). So far, my OB/GYN and I have agreed to leave things alone since they are going so smoothly.

God luck to you!

Pam
08-09-2008, 06:12 AM
I have pretty much sailed through menopause with only the night sweats. Things would have had to be pretty bad for me to take HRT because of the risk of cancer involved. My OB-GYN suggested them to me years ago and I said no.

joycenalex
08-09-2008, 07:04 AM
i'm on estratest, an estrogen/testerostone HRT. i've been on it for a year, mostly faithfully. the hot flashes are much better and it has helped with the libido issues, and since this is a family oriented area, if you want to ask about that, PM me. after alex died, i went into a fair depression, and i stopped taking everything for about 6 weeks, boy did i learn the error of that, so i'm back on all my meds. i'm faithful about my pap/pelvic exam and breast self exam and mamms. if you're on any type of HRT, you have to be faithful about those tests and be aware sometimes ERT will make the mammo more uncomfortable, so take 2 advil, with food about an hour before the test. i'm glad i'm on estratest, and i'm aware of the risks/benefits

Medusa
08-09-2008, 07:13 AM
I'm not against HRT, as I said, I still have more research to do. I've been in menopause, I guess you could say, for 5 years now w/no real problems. I more or less breezed through it. A hot flash is just that, a hot flash and then it's over and they're infrequent. I think my dr. wants me on HRT because we've pretty much eliminated all other causes for the weight gain around my middle and he's grasping at straws.

Rachel
08-09-2008, 07:49 AM
Yes, I'm wondering too if the weight around the middle is just inevitable.

It was for me. Not that I weighed all that much less before menopause, but when I bought a pair of jeans/slacks, the ones which fit me around the hips and thighs would have a loose waist. Now those same pants (yes, I still have them) are quite tight in the waist.

Does your doctor really think that HRT is going to help you lose weight around the middle? I guess I never heard of that as a solution to weight gain as one ages.

Pam
08-09-2008, 08:31 AM
I think my dr. wants me on HRT because we've pretty much eliminated all other causes for the weight gain around my middle and he's grasping at straws.

I was listening to talk radio one day in the car. What I heard astounded me. The doctor said that a woman going through menopause must take in 1/3 less calories than she did before JUST TO MAINTAIN HER PRE-MENOPAUSE WEIGHT because of the change in metabolism! I thought.... Oh man, being a woman is just not fun any more! :p I don't remember the doctor's name but I did think that he was on to something because everyone I know who has gone through the "Big M" has added a pound or two or three, or four.....:o

Medusa
08-09-2008, 08:42 AM
I was listening to talk radio one day in the car. What I heard astounded me. The doctor said that a woman going through menopause must take in 1/3 less calories than she did before JUST TO MAINTAIN HER PRE-MENOPAUSE WEIGHT because of the change in metabolism! I thought.... Oh man, being a woman is just not fun any more! :p I don't remember the doctor's name but I did think that he was on to something because everyone I know who has gone through the "Big M" has added a pound or two or three, or four.....:o

Oh yes, he's right. There's no way I can eat the way I used to any more. And if I want to lose weight, I have to work out harder and longer and eat even less. It's maddening. My situation is that my appetite is virtually nil but I've gained weight and it's around my middle, which is one (of many) symptoms of ovarian cancer, which I apparently had all the symptoms. That's been ruled out but we can't figure out why I've put on weight only around my middle. Pants that I bought in April are now tight, even though I'm consistent w/my workouts and don't consume many calories and hardly any fat.

jazzcat
08-09-2008, 11:20 AM

I soooooo agree with that. I lost 75 pounds before I had the hysterectomy but since being thrown surgical menopause, going 6 months with no HRT and spending the other year or so trying to figure out what HRT will work for me I've gained back so much of that weight. On top of that it's distributed much differently - mostly around my middle. Now I understand why so many of the pants for older ladies have elastic! And oh! Don't even get me started on the effects the lack of estrogen does to breast!!!!! :(:rolleyes::(

lizbud
08-09-2008, 04:27 PM
I did take Premarin. Dr RX'd it for 3 yrs max, but I ended up taking it for
around 4-5 yrs. It helped a lot. Like D & D, I had no knowledge at the time
of the awful plight of Premain mares & their colts.:(

It seems there are different "kinds" of BC, I was one who should not have
taken Premarin as long as I did. I did develope the disease later on. I never
had the sweats at all, but just felt more "normal" & productive when I took
the RX. "If I knew then what I know now"... well, you know how that goes.:rolleyes:

Kirsten
08-09-2008, 05:23 PM
Well, I'm only on thyroid hormone replacement therapy because of Hashimoto's. My gyn would like me to take hormones (estrogene, I suppose) as well because of the endometreosis but I don't want to. Twice in my life I was on birth-control pills and each time, I became depressive. I think it was the estrogene that caused it, my hormone levels are just too messed up to deal with it. So I'm really careful when it comes to hormonal replacements.

A couple of years ago, before Hashimoto's was diagnosed, they gave me gestagens when I started feeling ill, and I gained a lot of weight from it (and later from the thyroid hormones as well).

Kirsten

jazzcat
08-09-2008, 05:51 PM
My gyn would like me to take hormones (estrogene, I suppose) as well because of the endometreosis but I don't want to.
Kirsten, if you have endometriosis you would not want to take estrogen - that is what makes it grow. Your gyn probably suggested progesterone - it helps to balance the estrogen and slow the growth of endo. Endo is the reason I had a hysterectomy and had my ovaries removed.

krazyaboutkatz
08-09-2008, 07:48 PM
My mom was on a very low dose of HRT but she developed breast cancer and her doctor thinks that this was the cause. When I start needing to take something, I already told my doctor that I'm going the natural route. A co-worker of mine went through early menopause and she's almost over it. She also went the natural route and she took Estroven for it and also started taking flaxseed oil and black cohosh. They now make different formulas of Estroven and here's the link: http://estroven.com/. I've also heard that eating foods with soy in them will also help. Good luck.:)

Kirsten
08-10-2008, 04:40 PM
Kirsten, if you have endometriosis you would not want to take estrogen - that is what makes it grow. Your gyn probably suggested progesterone - it helps to balance the estrogen and slow the growth of endo. Endo is the reason I had a hysterectomy and had my ovaries removed.

Well, yes, she was probably referring to progesterone then... :o

They really did the hysterectomy because of the endomentriosis? I also wanted to have it done when I had my left ovary removed last year, but they didn't. They left the right one because they wanted me to keep it for the homone production, and they even left the uterus - even though I wanted desperately to get rid of it! LOL

Kirsten

carole
08-10-2008, 05:08 PM
Mary i have not read all the other posts, but just wanted to tell you , i am also going through the same thing, although i do have an appetite, but i weigh less than i did some years ago, but i have to say the fat is all around the middle, it is common for women our age to do this, some women are lucky, and i just hate them don't you? just kidding, it is uncomfortable and horrible, i look Like i am pregnant sometimes to me, well if i stick it out, i am used to holding my tummy in as to not look that way lol.I must have a large momentum like Dr Oz says some people do have,it does seem inevitable for some woman our age, it is much harder to loose weight in this age group.

I have heard HRT often puts weight on, so would you really want to go there, and there is an increase of the chances of breast cancer, i have had the most awful hot flashes for two months now, unbearable, and i would not even consider it, but hey guess what they have gone for over three weeks, now, i guess i am waiting for them to return though.

My poor mother would not go on HRT because of the breast cancer risk, and she had an awful time with hot flashes, sadly she got it anyway, but that is purely bad luck really.

I personally would not choose to go on it,especially as your hot flashes are minimal,grin and bear it if you can is my advice.

I have just read one of your posts, Mary i would certainly not consider the HRT for the weight gain around your middle, although i can so empathise of how awful it is to carry it around there, surely it is not worth the risk of getting Breast cancer,believe me you don't want that if you can avoid it,especially as you are five years into the menopause and your symptons are so mild,i am amazed your Dr even suggested it, seems odd to me,as most women actually gain weight on HRT, it is your choice though, but seriously please re-consider that option, IMO it does not seem a good option to me.

lizbud
08-10-2008, 07:10 PM
I think I may have found a solution to our increased weight problem.
What do you think ladies? :D

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/health/2008/08/10/fortin.hm.pole.dancing.cnn

Medusa
08-10-2008, 08:29 PM
I think I may have found a solution to our increased weight problem.
What do you think ladies? :D

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/health/2008/08/10/fortin.hm.pole.dancing.cnn

I seriously considered buying a pole and starting classes here just a few months ago. I taught exercise and aerobics classes for years and pole dancing is a lot of fun and great exercise. It was only because of my already packed schedule that I didn't do it. I think it's great!

K9karen
08-10-2008, 10:06 PM
I have pretty much sailed through menopause with only the night sweats. Things would have had to be pretty bad for me to take HRT because of the risk of cancer involved. My OB-GYN suggested them to me years ago and I said no.

Same for me. Compared to my friends, I was blessed not to suffer much except for sweats, and they weren't too bad, altho they seem to go on for a few years. With all my other health problems, I decided to just go with the flow (so to speak).

carole
08-10-2008, 10:42 PM
You girls are indeed blessed,be oh so thankful you have had it so good, i am still hoping mine will not return in a hurry,but who knows.,they were the pitts, with my already bad sleeping pattern, it was only made worse, taking the covers on and off all night long is no fun boo hoo.:(

Louie and me
08-11-2008, 08:20 AM
I had a total hysterectomy in 1984 and have been taking premarin ever since. I did try to stop a few years ago but the sweats and loss of energy were really debilitating especially as I was working full time. I am now on the lowest dose. I realize there is a lot of controversy over HRT and if anyone had a history of breast cancer in the family I would advise them not to take it. For me however, I have had no ill effects and am glad I have had them. There was some weight gain but suspect it was as much "middle age spread" as it was any side effect from HRT.

mruffruff
08-11-2008, 01:26 PM
Several years ago----
I went through the whole mess. It started with a libido that was in super high gear, then the sweats and crying and/or giggling jags. I did gain some weight, but I was skinny then, so it didn't bother me. As soon as I realized what the cause was, I grabbed myself by the back of my neck and shook myself HARD. I chose not to go on any medications. There were days I could have kicked myself for that decision. As long as I knew what was causing my problems, I could control my reactions. It took about 5 years to get over the majority of the sweats. My sex drive went into hiding and I no longer got silly or depressed. But I still carry additional weight around my middle. Dieting will get the pounds off, but not around the waist.

I remember wiping tears off my desk at the office and wondering where they were coming from. I'm glad I had an understanding group to work with.

If there had been something like Estroven in those days, I might have tried it.