PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts, please, for Vela's horse, Gent (update by Vela post 33)

K9soul
08-07-2008, 02:48 PM
I just wanted to post to ask for thoughts and prayers for Vela's beautiful morgan horse, Gent. Yesterday he was apparently badly kicked in the shoulder by another horse, right in the bony angle that sticks out. He was in a lot of pain and lame last night, and after giving him some pain medication and checking him again this morning found him to be much worse. She's taken him to the vet with fears of a fracture, permanent lameness or worse. Thanks for any quick thoughts or prayers you could send up for Gent.

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u93/Velaara/IMG_0392.jpg

Casper
08-07-2008, 02:54 PM
Oh no. :(
Good vibes headed that way for the gorgeous boy, he will be in my thoughts.

Taz_Zoee
08-07-2008, 03:04 PM
Oh my gosh, I hope he's okay. I immediately got tears in my eyes when I read this. For some reason, I don't do good with horses being hurt. Not that I can handle ANY animal being hurt. But horses, it's just waaay worse for me. Maybe because something I witnessed years ago. :(

I will be thinking of Gent and Vela!!

K9soul
08-07-2008, 03:19 PM
It is so scary when a horse has a bad injury, you can't just put them on bed rest for a few weeks to heal up. I know she was worried sick when she left and I later received a text message that he was a lot worse and she was taking him in. :(

RockyRoad
08-07-2008, 04:22 PM
Oh my gosh, I hope he's okay. I immediately got tears in my eyes when I read this. For some reason, I don't do good with horses being hurt. Not that I can handle ANY animal being hurt. But horses, it's just waaay worse for me.

Same goes for me. It always scares me when a horse gets hurt. :( Sorry to hear that Gent is hurt. What a gorgeous guy he is. He will be in my thoughts and prayers. :love:

zippy-kat
08-07-2008, 10:52 PM
Handsome Gent is in my thoughts and prayers.

Proud Gentleman, Mr. Trouble, you have a very worried fan club (not to mention momma and Jake). Be a good boy and let the doctors "work their magic."

Please, please keep us updated on his condition. I pray it's nothing that time, rest, and linament can't cure.

Cinder & Smoke
08-07-2008, 11:02 PM
Hi God ~

We kan do Horses, kan't we?

Would Ya paleeze send sum Healin Vibes down here to da Horse Barn,
fur Mr. Gent, da purdy Morgan Horse?

Anna {{{God'sHug}}} for Vela would be nice, too.

THANKS, God!

/s/ the Prayer Pups, Equine Division

shais_mom
08-07-2008, 11:19 PM
big thoughts and prayers on the way! :(
((hugs))

chocolatepuppy
08-08-2008, 04:56 AM
Oh how awful.:( Prayers on the way for Gent.

Vela
08-08-2008, 06:51 AM
Thank you for posting Jess and for all the thought's and prayers from you all. It was a very long day yesterday and I was just too exhausted to post until this morning. As of right now he has damage to the shoulder bursa and the biceps muscle, which is the muscle that controls forward motion of the leg. There was so much soft tissue damage the vet was able to stick a hemostat (probe) about 2.5 to 3 inches into the opening in his shoulder. He did an ultrasound of the area and thankfully no bones are broken. He is on stall rest, large doses of steroids for the swelling, large doses of pain medication, constant icing and cleansing of the open wound twice per day. I have to give him more steroid injections today and tomorrow and then we will know better how it might turn out. If it seems to be improving in that time frame, he has an 80% chance of a full recovery. If the swelling doesn't reduce quickly enough he may have permanent shoulder and lameness issues and nerve damage. It was grossly swollen to about 5 times it's normal size by morning when I saw him again. He is dragging his right foreleg and can't move it forward much but I am praying and hopeful that we can help him in time. Thank you again for all of your prayers.

Freedom
08-08-2008, 07:23 AM
Oh no, just seeing this thread. Prayers for Gent from all of us, and hugs to you, Vela.

Dear Gent, you are such a handsome fella, please rest up and receive all the healing thoughts being sent your way.

wolf_Q
08-08-2008, 08:08 AM
Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear this has happened to Gent. :( That sound so painful. :( I'll be keeping him in my thoughts and hoping for a full recovery!

cassiesmom
08-08-2008, 10:32 AM
Prayers for Gent from all of us, and hugs to you, Vela.

From Chicago too (specifically Indian Head Park, IL)

zippy-kat
08-08-2008, 01:27 PM
Continued thoughts and prayers for the patient and his family. We'll be keeping all hooves crossed on this end for a full recovery.

Vermontcat
08-08-2008, 02:19 PM
I'm so sorry that I didn't see this thread until now.
I'm really sorry to hear that your sweet Morgan Gent has been injured.:(
I hope that handsome Gent heals quickly and feels better soon.
Sending lots of hugs, prayers and healing thoughts your way.

zippy-kat
08-08-2008, 09:18 PM
Just checking in to see if there was an evening update. Get well, Gent!!

ramanth
08-09-2008, 04:30 PM
Many prayers that Gent will be okay and recovers!!! *hugs* :love:

Vela
08-11-2008, 06:45 AM
Sorry for not updating sooner, I have just been running on empty between two daily trips to the barn and his care and everything else in life that still has to be done. Gent is improving steadily and was actually feeling better enough last night to be a brat again, so that's good news. I won't know about whether his lameness is chronic or how much the internal structures will heal for a while yet but he is improving and able to use his leg more than before, which was none, so that's always a good thing. Thank you for the prayers, he and I really appreciate them.

zippy-kat
08-11-2008, 08:52 PM
You mean there's life outside of horses?! :eek::p

Thank you for the update on Gent. I've been smitten with him since day one.

I'm glad he's doing better and I hope that each and every day finds him more and more ornery and less and less "ouchy."

{Best wishes from Summer and myself.}

K9soul
08-14-2008, 12:23 PM
Just giving a bit of an update on Gent for Vela. He could still really use your prayers.

Yesterday his shoulder swelled back up, raising concerns for infection or a setback. This morning the swelling wasn't as bad as yesterday but he acted up on the line and broke the wound back open. He is still very sore. :( Vela is out at the barn with him now.

cassiesmom
08-14-2008, 12:31 PM
Oh, no, Gent! Positive vibes being sent your way.

Miss Z
08-14-2008, 01:03 PM
Oh no, I'll keep Gent in my thoughts. He's a gorgeous horse. :love:

Casper
08-14-2008, 06:42 PM
Poor guy, I hope his problems let up soon. I'll continue to keep him in my thoughts. :(

chocolatepuppy
08-14-2008, 07:30 PM
Oh no.:( More prayers headed Gent's way and also for Vela.

zippy-kat
08-15-2008, 01:38 PM
Prayers still on the way. Thinking of you guys!

Taz_Zoee
08-15-2008, 01:42 PM
Uh-oh, just saw the update. I hope Gent is feeling better and healing is on the way today.

Vela
08-15-2008, 03:19 PM
Gent is doing some better today. I put him outside to help the swelling go down, I hope. I have to go back and check on him tonight to make sure he's doing okay and not more lame from being outside. It's a fine line to try to find what is the right thing to be doing. He was moving a little better today, though not back to normal. Thanks for the prayers and thoughts guys.

wolf_Q
08-15-2008, 09:14 PM
Still thinking of you and Gent, I hope he'll be feeling better soon!

Vela
08-15-2008, 09:59 PM
I'm hoping he's reached a turning point tonight. For the first time I was able to see a reduction in the swelling from something that felt hard like bone to being able to indent it slightly with my finger, and he's not as lame as he was. It was also draining well from being outside and moving around more so I'm hoping that he is heading in the right direction now. Thanks again for all the thoughts and prayers.

cloverfdx
08-17-2008, 11:38 AM
Good thoughts on the way for Gent, heres hoping he continues to improve.

chocolatepuppy
08-17-2008, 04:09 PM
Just checking in to see if there's any news on Gent. I hope he's continuing to improve.

Karen
08-17-2008, 05:12 PM
Yes, we all hope he's better every day, and that he recovers fully, even if that means he's back to being a brat!

Vela
08-18-2008, 12:14 PM
Well I think Gent is feeling better today, I saddled him up and was going to just ride him at a walk in the indoor arena and do some limbering exercises to stretch out his shoulder and neck area, but he had other ideas :eek:

We walked, and he was good so I asked for a slow jog to loosen him up and instead we went bucking down the length of the arena and I lost both of my stirrups! Apparently he was feeling quite well and very energetic LOL. I got him reined in and we continued our walking and bending....I guess after two weeks off I should have lunged him a bit first :p He's a high energy high maintenance horse and needs constant riding or else he's naughty=x The brat is back, so I think he will be just fine.

lvpets2002
08-18-2008, 12:32 PM
:love: Yea Hurray Gent is Better & Well.. Now Gent try not to be such a daughty boy.. Behave now.. Great Great News..

JuniorxMyxLove
08-18-2008, 01:16 PM
i just now saw this :eek: i'm glad he's feeling better! i can't stand it when horses get hurt.

zippy-kat
08-18-2008, 01:44 PM
Alright, Gent! *High hooves* on feelin' better! Not so *high hooves* on bucking your mommy! lol

Hey Vela, aren't/weren't you doing parelli with these guys? Just curious if he's LBI, LBE, RBI, or RBE.

I'm having trouble figuring out what Summer is... 'course I haven't actually seen any explanation on how to figure it out yet, either. I started the levels program three-ish days ago. (Bought the first program the DAY BEFORE they switched everything over to patterns! L:rolleyes:L)

:love:LOVED:love: the first "lesson" (she stayed with me 26 of the 30min), love the friendly game, but forgot to buy a carrot stick so, until it comes in, we're YoYo-ing.

Sorry for getting this off topic - was just curious.

Vela
08-18-2008, 03:15 PM
Oh you are fine. I actually ended up stopping the Parelli because some of it were things I was not, hmm how to say it, some of it was too fluffy? hehe There are some great basic tools in there but honestly those tools are in every decent trainer's "book of to do things". I ended up reading through it and looking through the things I felt would be of benefit and using those tools without actually following the program. You have to be careful not to be "too soft" with them as if you really think about it, the lead mare in a herd doesnt nicely ask a horse to back up, she nails them with teeth and hooves, so I found a happy medium and now all it takes is a poke in the nose with one finger gently to keep them in their proper space, etc.

Gent was VERY pushy, almost dangerous pushy, and he really didn't benefit from it so much. I think some of the Parelli ideas are really cool and can help people, but some of it is just good marketing and a lot of fluff. I ended up selling my parelli on ebay =x Good common sense is really all you need when dealing with horses in my honest opinion.

Oh by the way Gent is very much an extrovert. As far as left or right brained....depends on if he has a brain that day, and how he behaves, or doesn't!

Vermontcat
08-18-2008, 03:58 PM
It's nice to hear a good update on Gent, it sounds like he's feeling a lot better if he's trying to buck you off!;)
He sounds like a Morgan that I know and have ridden, gotta love that Morgan energy, drive and spirit!:D
Give him a hug and kiss from me.:)

zippy-kat
08-18-2008, 05:52 PM
Oh by the way Gent is very much an extrovert. As far as left or right brained....depends on if he has a brain that day, and how he behaves, or doesn't!

:love: LOVE IT! :D

I very much agree that some of it is fluff. Stand on the horse's back and crack a whip. WHY? Canter into a horse trailer. WHY? I don't care how "parellied" my horse is, that's a risk to her safety, one misplaced foot and that's all she wrote.

Yep, there's some things we won't be doing.

Summer's very quiet and confident, eager to learn (even more eager if there's food involved!), fine on her own or with the herd, fine as a lead horse or as a follower, but she gets bored very easily with arena/round pen work. Guess that makes her extrovert but heck if I know if that's a left or a right.

Cookies for today's-not-so-gentle-Gentleman! :)

chocolatepuppy
08-18-2008, 07:33 PM
It's great to hear Gent is doing so good!:D

Daisy and Delilah
08-18-2008, 10:38 PM
Sorry I'm just seeing this, Vela. I am so glad to hear that your handsome boy is better. Get Well Gent!! I'll keep Gent and you in my thoughts and prayers.

cassiesmom
08-20-2008, 04:38 PM
I think he will be just fine.
Yay, Gent! Good news! :) Please ask your mom to say hello to Gensana and your dog-siblings, too.

Taz_Zoee
08-23-2008, 11:57 PM
I'm a little late on the good news, but I'm so happy to hear Gent is feeling better and back to his old self.

Woo Hoo!! :D :D

ramanth
08-25-2008, 08:29 PM
Glad to hear his spunk is back! ;) :D :love:

Vela
08-31-2008, 08:25 PM
Well Gent has completely recovered from his incident. We went for a nice ride on Saturday up a canyon and he saved me from falling off a cliff as another horse in our group tried to kill us all by having a spaz attack on the side of the cliff and shoving Gent and myself towards the edge of a 200 foot drop. He's my hero. He did what I asked of him and reared up over the side of the hill we were up against and managed to do a 180 degree turn on his hind legs to face the other direction and get away from the other horse that tried to shove us off. We decided to leave that location and go find a safer place to ride, which turned out to be really nice. We won't be trying that "trail" ever again.

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u93/Velaara/IMG_1226.jpg

He says thanks for all the prayers guys.

pitc9
09-02-2008, 04:19 PM
First of all I'm SO happy he had a full recovery!
2nd... OMG the trail mishap would have freaked me out for LIFE!
Thank goD He's such a smart boy!

zippy-kat
09-04-2008, 09:48 PM
What a GOOD boy! :eek::love:

Oh Vela, I'm sure your heart was pounding during the whole episode - mine was from just reading it! Gosh how scary! But what a hero!!!

Gent, I wish you a ton of horse cookies and carrots and apples. You deserve them, bud! And I'm so glad (and relieved!) to hear you made a full recovery.