PDA

View Full Version : Oreo is sick again! New vet update msg 24

Scooter's Mom
08-07-2008, 12:31 AM
Oreo's not been feeling very well lately. He's been walking very sluggish and not been as energetic as usual. Tonight, his eyes are nearly swollen shut from the "gunk" that is in them. They were open and clear last night... the last time we gave him the benadryl (like we're supposed to do twice a day) he got sick, so we haven't given it to him in a couple of weeks. I know him being sick with these allergies is our fault for stopping the benadryl... but he got sick and couldn't even move right. He was just acting NOT himself, so hubby and I decided to see how he'd do without it. Guess that was stupid.

When we adopted him from that abusive home, had I known then that he'd have so many medical issues... *sigh* I'd have still taken him. He's so loving and sweet. He doesn't deserve this.

He's going to the vet as soon as we can get an appointment. They're open late on Thursdays, so hopefully after we get off work tomorrow we can get him over to them before they close.

I'm just upset and felt like posting... please don't lecture me on stopping the benadryl. I feel bad enough. I'll update after he sees the vet; he'll probably have to get another steroid shot. That'll hold him a week and a half or two. Poor baby.

WELOVESPUPPIES
08-07-2008, 06:09 AM
No lecture here....I hope Oreo is well soon. Give him some ((Hugs)) from me please.

Scooter's Mom
08-07-2008, 07:33 AM
Thank you.
We thought the medicine made him feel worse ... :( (I've had that happen to me with medicine...)

Hubby says Oreo also has "something" on his chest. He won't explain in much more detail, but said, "We have a very sick pet, he NEEDS to go in tonight."

I didn't get any sleep. Poor Oreo just laid there next to me, on the floor like always (he isn't a people sleeper). Vet opens at 9, I will be calling to get Oreo in. They're only open 'til 8 tonight. They're also open starting at 7 (or 8?) on Saturday. He should be seen tonight, but I guess Saturday will have to do if they haven't got ANY time available tonight.

:(

4 Dog Mother
08-07-2008, 08:18 AM
I am so sorry that Oreo does not feel well. I hope you will be able to get him into the vets today and they will be able to help him. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

Freedom
08-07-2008, 09:04 AM
Prayers for all of you. Come on Oreo, allergies is something the vet can help you get through!

pitc9
08-07-2008, 09:39 AM
Sorry to hear Oreo's not feeling well, I hope the vet can help him!
{{hugs}}

Scooter's Mom
08-07-2008, 09:55 PM
Oreo's got allergies, like we thought. That is the least of our concerns at the moment.

He has ulcers on BOTH eyes. They are ugly. The poor baby has not whined ANY, so we didn't know he was hurting. He is such a good dog... and he needs to be groomed so we can't see his eyes all that great at the moment....

He's got a few meds for his allergies... plus drops for his eyes we are to give 3x a day (before work, as soon as we get home from work and before bed). He goes back in on Saturday for a quick check up. If NO sign of improvement, we may have to take him to a doggie opthalmologist.

We're such bad pet parents. :(

Freedom
08-08-2008, 07:17 AM
Ouch! Those are painful, is what my vet has told me. Poor Oreo. I hope the drops help. One should be for anti-inflammation, to reduce the pain.

Any idea how these developed?

Scooter's Mom
08-08-2008, 07:37 AM
She didn't know, really. She did a tear stain test to be sure his eyes were producing enough moisture, which they are. I wonder if it isn't because of his allergies... one thing leading to another type thing. Oh yeah, in 3 1/2 months, he lost 1 lb. according to one of their scales, 1.5 according to another. So my observation that he wasn't eating much was right.... gotta get him back up to a healthy 15.5 or so, otherwise he looks too thin.

Sandie, right now he's got the antibiotics - the pink kind that goes in the fridge, torbugesic to keep him from hurting so much, and his eye drops. In a week or two we are to start him on prednilisone, too. And, he got another steroid injection yesterday. It's the last one he can have for nearly a year... She only does 2 or 3 a year, and that is his 2nd.

He wagged his tail this morning for the first time in days. I take that as a really positive sign. When I called him to the kitchen so I could give him his medicine, he came. That too, I take as a positive sign.

He was such a good boy this morning, I gave him 3 little training treats (the tiny ones). Jadie got some too, for being a good girl and not trying to maul him for the meds.

Taz_Zoee
08-08-2008, 09:13 AM
Crystal, you are not bad pet parents. These things happen sometimes. And we learn from them. You are a PT pet parent, so that makes you a wonderful one!! :D
I hope Oreo is feeling better soon and the medicines kick in and do the job. :)

Casper
08-08-2008, 04:31 PM
You are not bad parents at all! It is quite obvious you care so much about Oreo, and he is lucky to have you. You took him to the vet and got him hooked up with all he needs to help him feel better, just like any great parent would do.

I'm happy to hear he is acting a bit better and seems happier.
Give the little guy some extra loving from me, alright? :)

Get well soon, Oreo!
Good vibes headed that way.

Moesha
08-08-2008, 05:30 PM
Any word about what the "something" on his chest was/is?

Scooter's Mom
08-08-2008, 08:45 PM
The thing on his chest area is scabbing from his chewing... hubby was just kinda afraid to look closely at it. He's got a weak tummy. (He can't even pick up a hairball without gagging.)

Tonight when we got home from work and gave Mr. Oreo his medicine, he was so happy. He even did the tail wag/butt wiggle. I was happy to see that. I am going to keep giving him all the medicine... and pray he does improve.

Thanks for the well wishes and the words of encouragement. I've been feeling bad since I haven't had much time to really spend one-on-one with any of the babies since I've been in classes.

I'll let ya'll know what the vet says tomorrow after we go for his 1st follow-up.

Freedom
08-08-2008, 08:50 PM
Glad to see he is responding well! Keep it up, Oreo, lots of folks are rooting for you!

Scooter's Mom
08-09-2008, 12:54 AM
Oreo seems to be improving already!
We can see some white in his eyes. Keep him in your thoughts, please!

Scooter's Mom
08-09-2008, 01:19 PM
Oreo saw the other vet this morning... Dr. De Monte, instead of Dr. Wooton. She gave him eye drops that were for pain, said that his eyes were terrible... but if we say they're better than they were Thursday she'll take us at our word. (She wasn't there on Thursday.) We have to take him in next Saturday to have his eyes re-checked. She is really concerned about how they look, even with us telling her they are improved.

She gave us some shampoo/conditioner to bathe him in once a week. We are supposed to try trimming his face hair this week, too.

Also, she said she detected a slight heart murmur. But, she says that could be a result of eveything else that is going on - some dogs have it happen while sick with other things and then it clears up. So we have to keep an eye on that, too.

Overall, not a bad report I think... not the greatest but it could have been worse.

krazyaboutkatz
08-09-2008, 07:25 PM
I sure hope that the meds will help him and that he'll feel better soon. I'm sending some prayers and positive thoughts his way.

Emeraldgreen
08-09-2008, 10:19 PM
Sounds like Oreo is on alot of different meds. I hope the eye drops for pain that the vet prescribed today will help him feel more comfortable.
Prayers that he will improve over the week and have a good re-check next Saturday. :)

Ginger's Mom
08-10-2008, 06:07 AM
I am glad to hear that Oreo is improving every day. I didn't see this until just now, and will add Oreo to my prayers.

Rachel
08-10-2008, 12:48 PM
Oreo's allergies seem to affect him in the same manner as Tucker's do with a discharge from his eyes. Tucker also gets ear gunk. On the positive side, Tucker responded very well to the feeding him the kangaroo kibble from the vet and until just recently, we have been able to keep the problem in relative control.

Once when we couldn't get the kangaroo meal, we had to take the fish and potato one which you said you were prescribed for Orea. That wasn't effective for him, but with allergies, everything depends on the individual. I just mention this so you know there is another kind out there should you need to try something else. It is also made by Iams and is called KD.

Scooter's Mom
08-12-2008, 10:40 PM
In addition to everything else, Oreo's ears are incredibly infected. Yep, again. The vet wants us to buy this prescription for him... Fluconazole (I think that is right) - 90 capsules is $49.95. I have spent $270 on him that I really didn't have, and now they want us to buy this medicine too... *sigh*

Do I not buy the medicine and hope his ears clear up again? Do I let him suffer with his ears now that we're making progress on his eyes and other stuff?

At least he can SEE again; and we can see the real color in his eyes instead of RED again.

I hate this whole being broke thing. :(
Making medical decisions for Oreo shouldn't come down to this decision.

4 Dog Mother
08-13-2008, 08:49 AM
I am glad that you feel that Oreo is improving despite what the other doctor said. I think we know better because we are with the dog more. About meds, I have been getting mine from Canada. They are significantly cheaper - right now Jack is taking one that costs $90 from the vet and it is $35 from Canada. Snoopy's was also much more affordable - I think his was like half and that means a lot from going to $300 a month to $150. The pharmacy I am using is Canada Drugs. If they have to ship from Canada (like Snoopy's) it takes about 3 weeks the first time and about 2 after than. They also have a pharmacy here (but you contact the one in Canada) and it takes less than a week. That doesn't do much for right now but if he has to stay on it, it could help.

You might also check with the local pharmacies - there can be a remarkable difference in prices on the same medication.

Catlady711
08-13-2008, 06:20 PM
In addition to everything else, Oreo's ears are incredibly infected. Yep, again. The vet wants us to buy this prescription for him... Fluconazole (I think that is right) - 90 capsules is $49.95. I have spent $270 on him that I really didn't have, and now they want us to buy this medicine too... *sigh*

Do I not buy the medicine and hope his ears clear up again? Do I let him suffer with his ears now that we're making progress on his eyes and other stuff?

At least he can SEE again; and we can see the real color in his eyes instead of RED again.

I hate this whole being broke thing. :(
Making medical decisions for Oreo shouldn't come down to this decision.

Sounds like Oreo has a yeast/fungal infection in the ears for that medication to be prescribed. You don't want to let it go untreated or it will just get worse, including possible ruptured eardrums or hematomas from head shaking/scratching which may require surgery. I know it seems like alot of money but it could cost alot more later if you wait.

Ask your vet if you can get a prescription from an online pharmacy or if there's a generic form available that may help lower the cost for you.

Good luck.

Scooter's Mom
08-16-2008, 06:56 PM
We took Oreo in for another update this morning. He saw the original vet we saw on Thursday 8.7, not the one we saw last Saturday 8.9. She was very impressed with how well he's recovering. His left eye has a little bit of scarring, but she said he'll adapt and over time will look around the scar and not notice it. (I looked around a scratch in my glasses for nearly a year because I was so poor I couldn't replace them, many ages ago - she said it's like that.)

She said his ears are good... cleaned them out really well for us. We have an anti-fungal medicated shampoo to alternate with the oatmeal one. And she said if all goes well, we should bring him back in 6 months for a checkup, since we're doing steroid treatments for his allergies.

Woohoo--- gooo Oreo!