PDA

View Full Version : And this person MODERATES a Pet Board????

Catty1
08-06-2008, 07:07 PM
I am on a mailing list for several groups, and today I got one from a pets forum in this area. I could NOT believe this:

Hey all, :-)

I'm sure some of you remember my topics months ago about urinary tract infections, losing our cat Angel and Bandit getting surgery. Well Now our Kitkat is having a clear problem of some sort. He's an older boy now, over 8 years old. Lately he's leaking a urine like yellow, gooey and overwhelmingly RANK liquid out his back end. He attempts to clean a lot, goes into the litter box a lot but doesn't seem to have trouble going pee...he's not squatting around the house or anything like he was when we thought it was a urinary tract infection. Our thought right now is possible bladder infection? We can't afford to go to the vet right now...so if anyone has any information as far as if this sounds like a bladder infection, how serious a bladder infection could be, any possible at home remedies or treatments we could help him with, I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks a bunch, :-)
A***** (P***** Moderator, Free**** **** Owner)

My reply to her:

If he can pee in the box, the infection is coming from somewhere else.

Symptoms of UTI in cats:

http://www.nativeremedies.com/petalive/articles/symptoms-urinary-tract-infection\
-cats.shtml
To determine whether your pet cat has urinary tract infection or not,
check out the following symptoms:

1. Pain while urinating, frequent urination, small or no urine at
all, are among the first signs to look for.
2. Excessive grooming of genitals, crying while doing it and blood
in urine are almost certain symptom of urinary infection in cats and dogs.
3. If your cat has stopped using its litter box and urinates
outside of it, you can suspect presence of UTI.

Yellow, gooey, and overwhelmingly rank...that sounds really really bad!

I have several suggestions:

1. Ask here for donations to your PayPal account, because he HAS to
see a vet!

2. If your vet won't work out a payment plan, find one who will.

3. If you really can't afford any care, surrender him to the nearest
rescue. They will get his medical needs looked after. You can pay to
adopt him back later - whether they will let you or not, I don't know.

4. You can try asking your vet for antibiotics, if they will give
them to you without bringing your cat in.

There are NO home treatments for this - yellow and smelly means
infection. Could be an abcess. Please find a way to help him, borrow
form friends.

Or you will lose another cat, and if you have waited too long, you
might face another expensive surgery.

Please go on Google to some good sites and educate yourself on cat
health. It may save a life one day.

Another good place is: http://petoftheday.com/talk/index.php?

VET or SURRENDER...I am sorry, but I see no choice.

I just want to SMACK her! (but at least I tried to educate her instead...I don't know everything, but that cat needs a VET, that much I know! :mad: )

End of rant

Freedom
08-06-2008, 08:18 PM
Glad you were able to hold your temper in check and educate her. Not sure I could have done!

Praying that the kitty gets help soon!

phesina
08-06-2008, 09:02 PM
Wow, Candace. You really did a good job there. Thank you.

Let's hope that awful person gets the cat to the vet in time.

Jessika
08-06-2008, 09:03 PM
Just because you're a moderator doesn't necessarily mean you have brains or common sense... one can only hope, and on most boards that's the case, but seems anyone can mod or run their own board now and can be a great mod but clueless about "common sense" stuff :)

moosmom
08-06-2008, 09:10 PM
My first thought was anal glands. Especially if it's coming from his back end.

Candace is one classy lady and handled it beautifully!!! Right on Catty1!!!

JustineNYC
08-06-2008, 09:31 PM
Even if his anal glands are impacted, he still needs to see a doctor. Unfortunately there is no quick fix sometimes.

Catty1
08-06-2008, 09:32 PM
I was always glad we had Karen and Paul here....but now I am REALLY REALLY GLAD!!!!!!!!:love::love::love::love:

Catty1
08-06-2008, 09:44 PM
Thanks, Donna - I did post one more time with that possibility. I better not post any more, you'll see why here:

Re: Cat health question

One thought: Impacted anal glands.

Google it - and good luck! As a vet expense, it is fairly cheap.
Borrow the money and get him there.

However, there is a saying: "Don't get the pet if you can't afford a vet."

Sorry to be harsh...but golly, one cat dead, another having surgery -
(PU Surgery, where the penis is removed to make peeing easier - was
that the surgery?), and now a cat that has a discharge that reeks.

I am leaving before I get really angry on a public board.

krazyaboutkatz
08-06-2008, 10:51 PM
This is so sad.:( Some people may think that I take my cats to the vet too much but if they're in pain, sick, or just not acting like themselves they're going to the vet. If I don't have the cash then I use my credit card. I agree that if you can't afford a vet then don't get a pet.:mad:

catfancier
08-06-2008, 10:57 PM
Perhaps it's neither a urinary tract infection or blocked anal glands? JMTCW - we had a stray-ish cat that came into our house one time, he was a really friendly boy, and he settled in for a cuddle on my lap. When he jumped off, I noticed a horrible smell (I would also describe it as 'rank') and found out that he had a large burst abscess on his rear from a cat fight.

Obviously pus and urine are completely different, and look and smell different but we were always told at the vet clinic to consider all possibilities. Perhaps their cat has a burst abscess? Either way I hope that poor kitty gets sorted before it gets worse.

GILL
08-07-2008, 02:37 PM
I give you a lot of credit. I wouldn't be able too hold myself back. We are responsible for our babies and in my book that means that you do every and any thing to care for them. This Saturday I am going to the doctor. First time in over three years because the kids always came first. I just spent $ 375 on ET because I was worried that she might have lost some weight. This included a full exam, blood work and ear mite meds. I don't care her health is the priority. I hope that kitty gets the help it needs and soon.

catmandu
08-07-2008, 06:10 PM
ITS A SHAME THAT PEOPLE HAVE THIER PRIORITIES SO MESSED UP.
YOUR CATS ARE YOUR FRIENDS AND SHOULD BE WORTH MORE THAN MATERIAL GOODS.
I HOPE THAT THIS POOR CAT DOESNT SUFFER TOO MUCH!:mad::mad::eek::(

Catty1
08-07-2008, 07:06 PM
First off - my bad - Angel the cat died of FIP in 2006.

Actually - a member from the same forum emailed me and apologized for butting in - but that she was also disturbed about this, and wanted to report this gal to the Humane Society. But she couldn't find her location in Calgary.

I told her to hang on, and I would email the Animal Bylaw Control guy in Calgary. He is COOL - he is registering for and going to the Best Friends No More Homeless Animals conference in the USA! (His dream is to have 20 acres and open a Best Friends kind of place in Calgary area! :D )

I've had a meeting and some phone calls with him, so I sent the post to him, and asked who or what should be informed. There is a Responsible Pet Owners in Calgary, and I think they could take her email headers and find her.

That poor cat!